Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000 | Scrapped?

What will happen first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rotherham_red

Eh? We're currently in a 4 year process of wrapping the disabled section around the entire East Tier 1. Why would we suddenly then pay to move it again?
The current expanded section is temporary and can be removed and replaced at any time? It'll only be permanent once it's fully phased in. It's definitely not beyond the realms of possibility that it's shelved and delayed for the expansion of the South Stand...

van Nistelrooy

"The United plans also show Old Trafford wrapped in red and black to give the stadium a formidable new exterior."

What plans is the article referring to? Are these plans in the public domain?

I'd like to see an image of Old Trafford with a new exterior...

Jacko21

"The United plans also show Old Trafford wrapped in red and black to give the stadium a formidable new exterior."

That idea has been muted for a while.

Also included plans to put a fanzone on the roof. :houllier:

GeorgieBoy

I couldn't care less about renovating the exterior or interior in fairness. I love the the look our ground has. But yeah getting another tier onto the South stand is a must!

These are secret plans sadly. But yeah, a new skin is a must. A new roof is most important of all, the current roof is horrific and completely ruins the ground and atmosphere from Tier 2 row 20 and above.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
WBA just had their plans for SS rejected by the government.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I

I can't see safe standing ever being allowed in the Premier League.
I think we will when all of the clubs realise it is actually safe and better at this point. It may be a while yet though. I'd say another 5 years.

Stu1975

A new roof is most important of all, the current roof is horrific and completely ruins the ground and atmosphere from Tier 2 row 20 and above.
I’ve been saying this for years and most I speak to just shrug it off.
It’s shocking and needs redoing.

I

I can't see safe standing ever being allowed in the Premier League.
Neither can I,no one in the government wants to make a decision like that in case something was to happen.

Robertd0803

I’ve been saying this for years and most I speak to just shrug it off.
It’s shocking and needs redoing.

Neither can I,no one in the government wants to make a decision like that in case something was to happen.
I agree, can't see anyone wanting to take that risk politically when the only benefit is improved atmospheres at matches. Seriously is there any other benefit outside of that?

Stu1975

I agree, can't see anyone wanting to take that risk politically when the only benefit is improved atmospheres at matches. Seriously is there any other benefit outside of that?
No theres isn’t and I guess that’s the icing on the cake as far as the authorities are concerned in regards to the matter.

Robertd0803

No theres isn’t and I guess that’s the icing on the cake as far as the authorities are concerned in regards to the matter.
I rest my case. No benefit to it and considering Englands tragic history with stadium disasters I can't see why any politician would back it. Even the oddball ones who back the most random of causes.

PaulRich

Couldn't we follow the model Spurs did with WHL - Build 3 sides of a new stadium on the adjacent land / car parks behind North, leaving the North Stand insitu and therefore the existing stadium intact during 75% of construction works, then demolish the existing stadium, building the North Stand back facing the other way and completing the 'ring' of the new stadium. It would mean us either playing elsewhere or in a 3 sided stadium for the duration of North Stand works but if we have a capacity increase then a newly configured 3 sided stadium wouldn't give us far off the existing capacity at the minute.

Sounds expensive but the costs of building new will probably compare over a 25-30 life cycle with trying to thoroughly overhaul the existing stadium and dick about trying to cantilever another tier over the South Stand plus routine maintenance on what in parts will be a 60 year old building.

Any new design should incorporate Safe Standing. The game and stadia design have improved massively since 1989.

Couldn't we follow the model Spurs did with WHL - Build 3 sides of a new stadium on the adjacent land / car parks behind North, leaving the North Stand insitu and therefore the existing stadium intact during 75% of construction works, then demolish the existing stadium, building the North Stand back facing the other way and completing the 'ring' of the new stadium. It would mean us either playing elsewhere or in a 3 sided stadium for the duration of North Stand works but if we have a capacity increase then a newly configured 3 sided stadium wouldn't give us far off the existing capacity at the minute.

Sounds expensive but the costs of building new will probably compare over a 25-30 life cycle with trying to thoroughly overhaul the existing stadium and dick about trying to cantilever another tier over the South Stand plus routine maintenance on what in parts will be a 60 year old building.

Any new design should incorporate Safe Standing. The game and stadia design have improved massively since 1989.
We don’t need a new stadium, it simply needs a big revamp a la Madrid/Barca.

You should youtube their fantastic plans.

PaulRich

We don’t need a new stadium, it simply needs a big revamp a la Madrid/Barca.

You should youtube their fantastic plans.

Exactly my point - the costs of your 'big revamp' may shock you.

• South Stand needs another tier, not an easy task given special constraints;
  • The roof needs a complete redesign, it compartmentalizes anyone in Tier 2 and above to the point where you wouldn't even know you were in the UK's biggest domestic stadium;
  • Current hospitality facilities are miles behind others - could a mere revamp deal with this??

• The roof needs a complete redesign, it compartmentalizes anyone in Tier 2 and above to the point where you wouldn't even know you were in the UK's biggest domestic stadium;
  • Current hospitality facilities are miles behind others - could a mere revamp deal with this??
Yes. Have you checked out the vids I mentioned?

Both incorporate new exec facilities, shops, roof, skin etc...

stevoc

A brand new state of the art 85-90,000 seater stadium would cost £1billion or more. I don't see renovations to Old Trafford costing that much even with a new roof and an extra tier on the south stand.

Plus the club would never want to leave Old Trafford.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Would people be happy if we moved to Wembley or Cardiff for a seaon whilst we redeveloped the South stand?

Last edited:

NotATroll

I, for one, wouldn't mind the naming rights for the stadium being sold. It's just named after the area the stadium is located in. It's much like Camp Nou. It's not an intentional name, just one that has caught on and that people have grown up with. It's a hard thing to do, but it's the right thing to do. More money=better players=more success.

Spoony

The People's President
I'd love to see what Herzog and de Meuron or Lord Foster could do with the challenge of bringing OT up to date. Perhaps something quirky like Soldier Field??

Stu1975

People already stand at matches so it would actually make those areas safer.
I’m aware of that as I go but it’s still not going to happen.
Sure GMP and the stewards were on our case for a long time about the standing.

Oscie

Mitten is a terrible journalist. I see his latest 'article' has prompted a renewed discussion. There's no news value in anything he writes, he's essentially just a blogger. Every story is a vague background piece on something with little to no news value. It's a less informative and entertaining Swiss Ramble.

A typical Mitten piece is 'Another overview of the current youth team set up for no particlar reason' that he churns out at least twice a year. I swear he's written the same piece about the stadium possibly being extended about 3 times in the last year alone. For a journalist with contacts (supposedly) it's really weird how all his pieces read like a wikipedia entry. Never any news just bloated overviews of stuff.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mitten is a terrible journalist. I see his latest 'article' has prompted a renewed discussion. There's no news value in anything he writes, he's essentially just a blogger. Every story is a vague background piece on something with little to no news value. It's a less informative and entertaining Swiss Ramble.

A typical Mitten piece is 'Another overview of the current youth team set up for no particlar reason' that he churns out at least twice a year. I swear he's written the same piece about the stadium possibly being extended about 3 times in the last year alone. For a journalist with contacts (supposedly) it's really weird how all his pieces read like a wikipedia entry. Never any news just bloated overviews of stuff.
His latest article has come on the back of a one on one interview with one of the club's directors.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

A brand new state of the art 85-90,000 seater stadium would cost £1billion or more. I don't see renovations to Old Trafford costing that much even with a new roof and an extra tier on the south stand.

Plus the club would never want to leave Old Trafford.
would not need to leave OT, The only real option I can see is , if they want a new stadium and I believe we do if we dont want to be left behind, is to buy up enough land , to build a new one and still use OT as it is being built. Massive task and mega money but look at Spurs new stadium , state of the art

VJ1762

I, for one, wouldn't mind the naming rights for the stadium being sold. It's just named after the area the stadium is located in. It's much like Camp Nou. It's not an intentional name, just one that has caught on and that people have grown up with. It's a hard thing to do, but it's the right thing to do. More money=better players=more success.
I for one, wouldn't like to sell naming rights and make it 'allianz' trafford or whatever. We have already given the name 'manchester united' to be used on everything from noodles to tractors. I know this is what makes us buy these hundred million dollar players, but the name reflects the ties the club has with manchester, so I would prefer the name of our club stadium to remain as it is.Moreover, I think most of our fan base won't be happy with the name change.

As for a new stadium, I don't really think this is particulary important imo. As long as we keep making history on the pitch, the fan base would only grow in the coming years and more success on the field = more commercial opportunities which imo trumps any increase in match day revenue we might get from increasing the seating capacity. I don't want us to lose sight of the bigger picture(ie become the dominant english club again) and devote time to building a new stadium. Minor revamps can be done, but I don't think a major overhaul is needed.

stubie

I'd love a new snazzy stadium, but how many years would it take for it to become cost effective. That's my biggest probelm
If we had a new stadium with say 100,000 capacity then clawing the money spent on it would not take too long

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If OT was a cinema it would be seen as a bit of a fleapit. Had glorious days, but is now a bit grotty. Some of the areas are like those underpasses that people warn you not to walk under. The tunnel is just a mass of concrete, nothing showing the power of Manchester United to intimidate the other team as the team and crowd definitely don't. As someone also mentioned the toilet facilities are disgusting. The concessions areas have sod all choice of food. Going to a game nowadays should include everything. Not sure if we need a new stadium, but increasing the capacity seems to be a real problem, but my god it need upgrading. The seating is uncomfortable and cramped and in an emergency dangerous.

The club are going to really think about the stadium as more teams are building or upgrading theirs. Otherwise we will be just become a faded giant and just seen as rather quaint. Sorry if this p***es some off but it needs saying.

Oscie

I'd love a new snazzy stadium, but how many years would it take for it to become cost effective. That's my biggest probelm
I don't get this. Our stadium has history, tradition, a story. I really don't get the massive hardon people have for knocking it down and making it some nondescript modern 'can't pick it out of a crowd' stadium like near enough all other modern stadia.