Manchester United sign Raphael Varane! (not in time for Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Fair enough. Do you mind disclosing the outlets reporting this if you know them off the top of your head?

From what I could gather, he did like United, but I don't know if he'd have necessarily come to us if, say, Chelsea were in for him. As it was, United were the only Premier League club making moves.
I guess, does it really matter either way?

bosskeano

Rio must be putting holes thru walls right now with his flag at full mast

RoadTrip

Finally, a proper world-class defender, CL and WC-winner none the less. This place has deluded itself into thinking that players like Shaw and Maguire are «world-class», it will not take long until the same people see what true ability really is. Magnificent signing, hats off.
Strange comment about Shaw at least.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I guess, does it really matter either way?
Not majorly, but I'd be really happy if Varane actually was keen on joining United not just because they were the only Premier League club going for him. It would indicate that we still have a ton of pull with continental players and, hopefully, for some loyalty even when things aren't going so well.

Jonesno.8

My last memory of Varane was what should've been a sending off after he fouled Evra in the 1st leg of our tie back in 2013.
Very young back then, we have a prime CB. Hope he is robust injury wise. Can ship off Jones and another CB. Tuanzebe can take a bit more time to learn, maybe a loan in Prem even.

Real Name

Finally, a proper world-class defender, CL and WC-winner none the less. This place has deluded itself into thinking that players like Shaw and Maguire are «world-class», it will not take long until the same people see what true ability really is. Magnificent signing, hats off.
Why the need to put Maguire and Shaw down like that?

MUFC OK

We got Varane and Sancho but Man City could outshine us with Grealish and Kane.
If we have Harry Kane we win the league, it is that simple.
Does the idea of mctom and fred not give you ptsd?

We’re surely a holding midfielder away from having as good a chance as city.

RoadTrip

Not majorly, but I'd be really happy if Varane actually was keen on joining United not just because they were the only Premier League club going for him. It would indicate that we still have a ton of pull with continental players and, hopefully, for some loyalty even when things aren't going so well.
I think it’s something we will unlikely ever find the answer to though, sadly. I think he had previously shown some affection for United. Whether he’d have picked United out of City or Chelsea or Liverpool, who knows. But at the very least he chose not to resign at Madrid, and chose to move. That to me at least means he wanted to move and thus has some motivation - rather than being “forced”, let’s say, because United paid the bags of gold to a club who couldn’t refuse it.

SeanyC

Looks like the Glazers and Ed are trying to salvage their reputation, in fairness he’s doing a good job! Still Gobshites though

Zoo

Who do you really support?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think it’s something we will unlikely ever find the answer to though, sadly. I think he had previously shown some affection for United. Whether he’d have picked United out of City or Chelsea or Liverpool, who knows. But at the very least he chose not to resign at Madrid, and chose to move. That to me at least means he wanted to move and thus has some motivation - rather than being “forced”, let’s say, because United paid the bags of gold to a club who couldn’t refuse it.
Definitely, the fact that he wanted to leave and then join us is already pretty big. I was just talking about the cherry on top of the cake in this instance.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
So how good is he then really? I’ve watched him a few times in champions league, his achievements speak for them selves. Do you think he’ll handle the prem?
I think he is better than Maguire.

He will do well in PL.

He is not the best at passing from behind. Ramos was genius in building and passing from CB position. Varane makes some stupid passes once in a while. I think that is his only negative.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Shaw is without a doubt world class and it's not just place that thinks it.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
So how good is he then really? I’ve watched him a few times in champions league, his achievements speak for them selves. Do you think he’ll handle the prem?
Hes good in the air, strong and rapid. Exactly what we need.

spiriticon

'A complete player' - what they've said about Varane

Real Madrid and Belgium attacker Eden Hazard: "I've come across some fantastic defenders during my career, such as John Terry and Vincent Kompany. I think that although [Varane] is still young, he's already one of the best centre-backs of all time. His partnership with Sergio Ramos is wonderful."

Former Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho in 2014: "I think Varane is the best central defender in the world. He is still young, but I think he's the best."

Liverpool and Netherlands defender Virgil van Dijk: "Sergio Ramos's teammate at Real Madrid, Raphael Varane, is my favourite. He is an excellent defender and has already won a lot."

France manager Didier Deschamps: "When he is 100% fit, he knows how to do everything. He's very strong defensively, he is fast. He has good anticipation. He's never in trouble on the ball. He can score goals at set-pieces. That makes him a complete player."

Can't believe it.. My muppet signing defender of the last 10 years.. is here! :houllier:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Were you frozen then for the last 8?!
:lol:
I hardly ever watch Madrid and, when I have, I can't say I've ever noticed him. They say that's a good thing for a defender, though!
Very young back then, we have a prime CB. Hope he is robust injury wise. Can ship off Jones and another CB. Tuanzebe can take a bit more time to learn, maybe a loan in Prem even.
I wasn't saying that to discredit him, to be fair. That's about all I can remember when it comes to watching him!

@JPRouve , @kouroux , would you say he's still a top cb? I honestly have no clue and the fact that we've signed him at a great age, and for such q low fee, has me worried that Madrid just wanted rid.

RoadTrip

I hardly ever watch Madrid and, when I have, I can't say I've ever noticed him. They say that's a good thing for a defender, though!

I wasn't saying that to discredit him, to be fair. That's about all I can remember when it comes to watching him!

@JPRouve , @kouroux , would you say he's still a top cb? I honestly have no clue and the fact that we've signed him at a great age, and for such q low fee, has me worried that Madrid just wanted rid.
Low fee is due to 1 year left on his contract and his clear intention he wanted to move on and not resign.

I think he’s still a top defender. Certainly, a huge step up to partner with Maguire.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Low fee is due to 1 year left on his contract and his clear intention he wanted to move on and not resign.

I think he’s still a top defender. Certainly, a huge step up to partner with Maguire.
Oh, so Madrid wanted to keep him?

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Madrid did everything to keep him in the last year but they had already backed themselves into a corner after they allowed Varane to run his contract down. Madrid are a mess financially so they had no choice but to sell him this summer. They couldn't risk letting him walk for free next year.

Remember the geese

They are world class. Bizarre post.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Of course he is still a top CB, he isn't prime Nesta but he is still a top CB and he is supposed to be a leader too. Also Real tried to extend him but as it has been reported for years, Varane allegedly declined all talks since late 2018.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Madrid did everything to keep him in the last year but they had already backed themselves into a corner after they allowed Varane to run his contract down. Madrid are a mess financially so they had no choice but to sell him this summer. They couldn't risk letting him walk for free next year.
I see. Thanks!

I hope he's as good as everyone says. I watched a fair bit of him in his younger years when he first joined Madrid and was very impressed, but I've hardly seen any Madrid games these past few years so I'm hoping he's still as good, if not better seeing as he was a kid then, as I remember!

OmarUnited4ever

so Maguire & Shaw are shit, you are 100% right

sallycinnamin

Still cannot believe it. An absolute class act, a gem of a centre half.
As a previous poster said that chant to The Pixies " Here comes your man" to "We've got Varane".
What a back four we have.

Nicklas

Don't think we ever had this good a window post SAF to be honest - probably with SAF as well on paper, it genuinely is two world class players! Really really have to push City this year.
For now I’d say Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Bailly wins it for me together with Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves and Tevez. But who knows, if we can get Trippier and Camavinga as well this might be the best!

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
World class signing surely. So so happy

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am still in shock. I can't believe that we signed one of the best players in the world (on certain position) in his prime.
And especially that we signed a player who was my dream signing for years. Most fans wanted Sancho, Haaland or Kane. Varane was my first choice. Last time that i got my man was RVP.

Damn....what a day!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.