Manchester United sign Raphael Varane! (not in time for Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NecssryEvil

That's taboo. Everybody deserves a second chance.
Their whole modus operandi is to do just enough to get people to think this. Then sit back, do nothing more and let the ATM machine spit out money for themselves until things get ugly again. Rinse/repeat.

tomaldinho1

For now I’d say Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Bailly wins it for me together with Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves and Tevez. But who knows, if we can get Trippier and Camavinga as well this might be the best!
That first group is more close because Pogba was seen as world class. The second group I really don't see it - hopefully we can add 1 or 2 more decent young players like Camavinga this window which would make this easily the best for me.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Not majorly, but I'd be really happy if Varane actually was keen on joining United not just because they were the only Premier League club going for him. It would indicate that we still have a ton of pull with continental players and, hopefully, for some loyalty even when things aren't going so well.
Things are going well though. We’ve done very well the last twelve months.

Infestissumam

I just can't wait to see Maguire-Varane in action week in, week out. Such a tasty CB pairing and in theory they complement each other so well. Let's hope it pans out als planned because we could really do with that defensive stability.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Fantastic signing but this is getting quietly too far. Best defense in Europe?!

Have people forgotten how horrible that back 4 was looking for a good amount of last season? Offense bailed them out again and again. That didnt feel like one last puzzle piece missing for greatness at all...

AWB offers no attack, but even defensively, he showed some atrocious positioning and even King Harry was not seen as best PL defender prior to the EC, and with good reason.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes, a single upgrade can make a huge difference to a full defense or even the whole squad and I'm happily awaiting them form a unit, but that's going too far now with the praise for me.
Let's hope I'm wrong, anyway great summer business by the club!
Totally, totally agree.

It is easy for all of us (me included) to get giddy and light headed with what are really two superb summer signings for us but some of our poor play last season didn't seem to be so much personnel as systematic problems with the tactics inc set pieces.

I still don't rate Martial and Rashford as forwards capable of contributing enough to a title winning challenge. Hopefully, we may rely less on Martial with Sancho's arrival but that still leaves a nailed on starting position for Rashford!

F-Red

Great signing & decent transfer fee as well. Good bit of business by the club.

predator

Youth NITK
Out of this world signing.

Our squad is looking so so tasty now. So much experience, potential, talent, big names and a great mixture of nationalities.

I must say I am grateful to the board for this window so far. They have made millions of people happy.

Bring on the season. Just imagine Bruno and Sancho linking up with Cavani and Varane and Maguire at the back utilising their strengths.

feck.

sillwuka

It’s murder when Varane scores
The reds are in the mood
OLEE
We’re gonna burn that council house right down

To the tune of Murder on the Dancefloor. Seen this on twitter and it's brilliant!!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Wow. Sancho and now Varane. In the words of Goldberg, who's next?

@carvajal , @giorno , is he still good? I don't watch Madrid so I'm surprised he's leaving.
I don't think so, he has always lived under the skirts of Ramos.
Two years ago, two childish mistakes cost us the tie against City. Maybe without Zidane Pepe would still be playing and Varane on the bench.
No, I'm kidding, He is very good, great signing, Madrid needed to raise money, the renewal offer was weak and he wanted a new challenge for a long time.

Last edited:

Timdbro

I still think Ramos is using us for a bigger Varane just like contract did.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't think so, he has always lived under the skirts of Ramos.
Two years ago, two childhood mistakes cost us the tie against City. Maybe without Zidane Pepe would still be playing and Varane on the bench.
No, I'm kidding, He is very good, great signing, Madrid needed to raise money, the renewal offer was weak and he wanted a new challenge for a long time.
We should all be forgiven for mistakes in our childhood

Cantonaaa!

Utterly pleased by this signing!

It’s so good to feel we have the pull of United back! Haven’t felt this good about a signing in ages. Most proven player on the right side of 30 we got since..idk? Shaping up to be quite the summer for us..
Bring on Leeds!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I will get excited when it's all done and dusted proper. Have no idea why the club make that partial announcement.

It does not in any way help you finalise the deal on your/best terms, does it?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I will get excited when it's all done and dusted proper. Have no idea why the club make that partial announcement.

Huh?

diarm

The deal is finalised in terms of finances it seems Anto. The issue is that he has to isolate after travelling over, so it will be a week or so before the medical can be done, forms can be signed and the photos / promo stuff can be finished.

The negotiating part of the deal is over.

Iron Stove

Excellent news. Finally a quick modern centerback to partner Lindelöfinho.

Chief123

When was the last time we actually signed an established world class centre back? I actually can’t think of one.

Ferdinand and Stam went on to be world class, but I wouldn’t say they were established as world class when we signed them. Just very good players with lots of potential.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The deal is finalised in terms of finances it seems Anto. The issue is that he has to isolate after travelling over, so it will be a week or so before the medical can be done, forms can be signed and the photos / promo stuff can be finished.

The negotiating part of the deal is over.
Manchester United is delighted to announce the club has reached agreement with Real Madrid for the transfer of French international defender and World Cup winner, Raphaël Varane, subject to a medical and to player terms being finalised.

Mental, can quite easily end up exposed with cock in hand

bosskeano

Manchester United is delighted to announce the club has reached agreement with Real Madrid for the transfer of French international defender and World Cup winner, Raphaël Varane, subject to a medical and to player terms being finalised.

both clubs announced a deal had been completed and finalized so not sure why you're in question about it

diarm

When was the last time we actually signed an established world class centre back? I actually can’t think of one.

Ferdinand and Stam went on to be world class, but I wouldn’t say they were established as world class when we signed them. Just very good players with lots of potential.
I reckon Stam was definitely world class. He was superb for PSV the season before and then for Holland at the 98 world cup.

Player terms being finalised, literally means him signing the papers which he can't do for another week or so. There is no way United and Madrid are releasing official statements without everything being agreed between clubs and player.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

It's been widely reported that we've agreed terms with Varane. It's just due to covid restrictions that we can't finalize that piece and the medical. As you know, clubs like to have the contract signed as a photo op.

Also, you say exposed with cock in hand like it's a bad thing.

thundercats

In theory the best signing we’ve done this season. Should make a solid partnership with Maguire. Just 28 for a good prize and given current times he must be good for another 7 years or so.
I have read many people’s opinion on him and apparently he is past it and a liability. I’m not buying it, I think we bought a class player in his prime.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I think it’s kind of obvious negotiations are over. I think player terms being finalised = pen to paper.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's been widely reported that we've agreed terms with Varane. It's just due to covid restrictions that we can't finalize that piece and the medical. As you know, clubs like to have the contract signed as a photo op.

Also, you say exposed with cock in hand like it's a bad thing.
:lol:

AndyMUFC

This is exciting. Didn't expect Varane in a United shirt a few weeks ago that's for sure, and I still had doubts it'd happen while it was being rumoured.

Hopefully this takes our defence to the next level.

Pickle85

Allowing us to sign and announce him before he Ramoses us. Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.