Manchester United Summer Transfer Window 2015: What do we still need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You can't lose 2 Highly experienced first team CB's like those and not bring in at least one equally great CB. Rojo isn't anywhere near them, the fact blind is first choice over him says all you need to know.
He hasn't had a minute of football since the Copa America :lol:

We've got Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Blind and then McNair to get games in the lesser cups and ease the burden.

Who should we get?

tombombadil

You can't lose 2 Highly experienced first team CB's like those and not bring in at least one equally great CB. Rojo isn't anywhere near them, the fact blind is first choice over him says all you need to know.
Actually, that's not true. The official club stance has been he missed pre season because he was with Argentina till late and then he had passport issues so couldn't make it for the last few games.

He is now in the process of getting back his "match rythm" and physical fitness. Give him time.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He hasn't had a minute of football since the Copa America :lol:

We've got Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Blind and then McNair to get games in the lesser cups and ease the burden.

Who should we get?
Well it wouldn't hurt to at least try get otemendi who was the best CB in la liga last season all signs point to him wanting to join us if the reports are true

Him and Mike smalling would be a very strong partnership but it seems we aren't going for him because of lvg obsession with getting a left footed CB.

He is now in the process of getting back his "match rythm" and physical fitness. Give him time.
I still think blind will be picked over rojo to be fair he hasn't put a foot wrong so far

C'est Moi Cantona

I think we'll still sign at least one attacker. I wouldn't rule out two if the opportunity arises.
We need two attackers for sure, a right winger and a striker, Pedro obviously but I have absolutely no idea where we are with that one, if not then Fellipe Anderson.

The striker is a massive issue as imo Hernandez isn't a genuine threat to Rooney given we have actively tried to sell ever since LvG came in. Behrahino, or Austin could be where we're at though at this stage of the window.

We just seemed to have peaked way too soon in the transfer window, we need a final spurt of action or we're going to struggle.

Browniee

Christ we need at least 3 top players in pretty sharpish, we won't even get close to the top of the league with the squad and playing style we have

Danny Boi

Bit depressing after all the signings we made over the last 2 years we are still in need of 3 or so top players.Long term Smalling looks like he could be the only regular first teamer from Fergies team.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Maybe we should just tell Madrid that we're taking one of Bale or Ronaldo - let them choose which. We can play whichever one up front. Let's face it there's only room for one of those two in RM.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'd snigger, possibly even indulge in an actual Laugh Out Loud, if the window closes with your keeper snapped by Real, your 1st choice CB target extending at Real, 2nd choice CB target being snapped by city, and your final winger target snapped by Chelsea after you sold your most expensive player ever.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'd snigger, possibly even indulge in an actual Laugh Out Loud, if the window closes with your keeper snapped by Real, your 1st choice CB target extending at Real, 2nd choice CB target being snapped by city, and your final winger target snapped by Chelsea after you sold your most expensive player ever.
and you'd have very right to! Its true we don't have the same allure that we did 10 years ago.

Zoo

Otamendi wasn't our 2nd choice.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We need an attacking player, preferably two even. Get that and we're set for a great season. Even if we don't buy anymore, I still believe we have enough to go big for the title.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Otamendi wasn't our 2nd choice.
I'm not at all convinced about that - LVG is eccentric but he's not daft. But naturally, we'd do our best to leak that "we didn't want him anyway" as soon as it was clear that he was City bound.

Zoo

I'm not at all convinced about that - LVG is eccentric but he's not daft. But naturally, we'd do our best to leak that "we didn't want him anyway" as soon as it was clear that he was City bound.
But it's not since it's clear that he's City bound. United have consistently briefed that there is no interest and even compared it to Gaitan.

jojose

I think like most we still need a centre half, ideally an experienced one. However, very few at the level we need are realistically available.

Desperately need an old fashioned centre forward. More so that any other position. Again, not too many around.

Assuming pedro is a "done deal", and with the money we have re-couped on various sales I am assuming we have a pretty hefty "war chest". Id like to see us blow it on Muller ore Lewendowski.

Watching what a half fit Costa and half Fit aguerro offers their team coinciding with Rooney's start to the season only highlights how far behind top strikers he actually is!

Judas

Open to offers
I think it's safe to assume Otamendi wasn't on our radar, for whatever reason. If we wanted him, there's nothing to suggest it wouldn't have been a fairly straight forward deal to do.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Would people be satisfied with our business if Pedro is our last signing and we keep DDG?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Would people be satisfied with our business if Pedro is our last signing and we keep DDG?
Need a defender..Ive seen this play far too many times..it always ends up with injuries every year..I remember the year we had to play Carrick and Fletcher at cb, and got torn to pieces at Craven Cottage..so more bodies, especially with Evans going out, especially of a higher quality if possible....If the current defenders are good enough to keep their places, they will play.

Oo0AahCantona

We need a stone cold no.9 or a wide forward who can play that role. i would break the absolute bank for Marco reus. 50-60m pounds+

bucky

Thing is, who is available who'd really improve us? I'm quite happy with what we have and wouldn't mind being patient to bring in more quality next summer. Seemingly we were never interested in Otamendi, missed out on Sergio Ramos or never had a chance and don't have that many options left for central defence. I still rate Hummels highly and he'd probably be perfect in van Gaal's system, but apart from him there's not that much quality left. As for young players, Laporte and Stones need games and I'm not sure if they would solve our issues or would improve us that much yet. They're obviously very talented, but it seems it would be better for both players if they stayed put and we used what we have.

The same probably applies to forwards. No one of Benzema, Lewandowski, Müller and Kane is really available. Lacazette doesn't seem to fit the profile of van Gaal. There are quite a few talented forwards out there, but again, they'd probably be better off with staying where they are and we couldn't make much use of them anyway.

Devil may care

Four positions with question marks over then in our current 4-2-3-1 presuming we get Pedro.

Goalkeeper - Obviously this summer or next we are going to need a new one
CB - I'd like this done in the next two weeks, if not I hope Stones is till available next summer
#10 - I don't think LvG fancies Mata there or sees Herrera fitting his profile, Adnan could nail the spot across the season though
Striker - We badly need a proper #9

bucky

Four positions with question marks over then in our current 4-2-3-1 presuming we get Pedro.

Goalkeeper - Obviously this summer or next we are going to need a new one
CB - I'd like this done in the next two weeks, if not I hope Stones is till available next summer
#10 - I don't think LvG fancies Mata there or sees Herrera fitting his profile, Adnan could nail the spot across the season though
Striker - We badly need a proper #9
GK - Could have been Trapp this summer or it could be Leno, Karius, Lecomte or someone else next summer. Lloris seems the best option there and I'm not his biggest fan.

CB - Do you think Stones is an improvement on what we currently have and could we offer him enough time to develop as much as needs? Furthermore he'd probably compete with Smalling, Jones and McNair for the right spot and I think we need someone for the left spot alongside Smalling more. Personally I couldn't care less which foot a centre-half uses and would just play our best players, but I don't see Stones and Smalling playing together under van Gaal if the former signs.

#10 - IMO a problem we didn't need to have, but like you said, both Mata and Herrera aren't preferred or fancied there. Rooney, Januzaj and Fellaini seem to be other options. Considering how van Gaal prefers to have a second striker than an attacking midfielder there, Fekir seems to be the best option as he's capable of both and is used to playing just behind Lacazette. Reus, Müller and de Bruyne don't seem realistic at this moment of time. I think it would be easier to improve our wide options and I also think it's needed more with Memphis, Mata, Young, Januzaj and Pereira as options, which is why Pedro probably makes sense.

Striker - I don't think we will be able to solve this one this summer and have to be patient until next year.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
So if we fail to get Pedro... do we think that's it for this transfer window?

tombombadil

Well it wouldn't hurt to at least try get otemendi who was the best CB in la liga last season all signs point to him wanting to join us if the reports are true

Him and Mike smalling would be a very strong partnership but it seems we aren't going for him because of lvg obsession with getting a left footed CB.

I still think blind will be picked over rojo to be fair he hasn't put a foot wrong so far
Well, he seems to be getting better, I think. Who knows?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If we don't bring a forward in of some form - winger or striker, so long as they can contribute goals - I think we're going to struggle to compete.

Iron Stove

Griezmann. Can play wing / #10 / #9. Is brilliant and seems to be a United fan.

He seems to have loved Rooney's backheel yesterday:

Riz

Griezmann just signed a new contract.
Bale not gunna happen cause there's no one for Perez to appease the fans with.
Muller give me a break.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Griezmann just signed a new contract.
Bale not gunna happen cause there's no one for Perez to appease the fans with.
Muller give me a break.
The contract only increased his release clause from 65m to 80m Euros. We can still get him if we want, and of course if he wants to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.