g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United Summer Transfer Window 2015: What do we still need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetan

Our best player is likely to leave.

We sold our most talented outfield player, even if he was shite last year. I think we were all hoping he would deliver this season.

We have bought well and sold some deadwood. That said, we still only have half a good team with no supreme quality in attack.
Yes, agree with all of this. We have done a pretty good job this transfer market compared to previous years. I had high hopes before we went into pre season with all those logical signings and was looking forward to more transfers especially a CB and a attacker. But the way we have used certain players has just taken out that fizz out of me for looking forward to new players.
Say if we get Pedro, I hope LVG knows what's his best position is. Not just try him anywhere in the front 4 even though he has the qualities to do a decent job behind the striker or as a striker.

C'est Moi Cantona

Anyone else starting to get a horrible feeling that we won't actually add anyone else?
I have to admit yes I am, but I remember having a similar feeling this time last year then suddenly we signed ADM, Blind, and Falcao just like that.

The bottom line is if the window closes with no more business done then we are in for a long arduous season, where getting into the CL proper, and getting fourth again would be the limit of our ambitions.

Crashoutcassius

Mata primarily played 10 for chelsea and he was fantastic. I just can't see what goes through LVGs mind playing mata wing and Memphis at 10.

Mata is best in the hole simply because of his footballing brain and ability to create.

Depay is a proper old school winger, pace to burn, ability to beat his man, cut inside and unleash a shot.

These LVG experiments aren't getting the best out of certain players and will cost us. It's so blatentky obvious that depay should ge wing and mata 10.
Mata played 10 at chelsea for one season and it was his best season, but at united when ever he has played 10 he hwasn't done well enough creating anything, + :VG doesn't want a creative 10 but he wants a second striker, so less crazy

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Not as many, no. Having possibly the best defender in the league in your team tends to give you an extra dimension. Also, how many cliches are there about the league being won on the basis of clean sheets...
You probably right hey. I was wrong to say you can't win anything with big money defenders, I'm actually fan of the Shaw, Ferdinand kind of deals where there is potential for somebody to be an asset for a long time. My problem right now though is that I don't see that potential in the CB market ( Stones maybe but I'm not yet convinced), furthermore with the way we are playing under Louis the team defends more or less by keeping the ball rather than relying on the strict influence of the defenders who still contribute off course. If there was as a Rio out there I'd be all for it just like I was with Shaw.

PS. Pietermaritzburg over here. Small world on the internet huh.

Last edited:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Anyone else starting to get a horrible feeling that we won't actually add anyone else?
I don't feel it would be the end of the world. Of course it would be great to add Pedro and a CB, but I still think we can do alright in the league. I think we'll struggle in Europe - but the current squad we have could easily compete for the title. As long as they click.

Raw

I think we'll get that one pacey/creative signing LVG keeps harping on about and that's it.

And honestly I'd be happy with our business if that's the case, I don't see CB as an absolute necessity like some people on here think.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We will sign Pedro but I think there is zero chance of adding anyone else.

JawZ

If our team clicks, meaning we actually score some goals and at the same time not conceding any, then I think we'll do fine even if we don't sign anyone. We actually have decent players, Van Gaal players he wanted to sign. It's all down to him to put the team together, make our team functional and string up the wins. It would be sad if our performance doesn't go well with the nice looking kit.:(

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I think we've got enough for a top 4 challenge again but not for the title. Still, early days... if we can click like we did on occasion last year, who knows what might happen.

Danillaco

Pedro and a CB, most likely Otamendi. Ramos was always is long, long shot. Could go for Laporte, though, outstanding left footed.

I'm comfortable with Rooney and Chicha for one spot up front, counting on getting the service from our midfield and FBs.

Baxter

We'll get Pedro, and still think we'll push for a centre back. Laporte would be my first choice but he's still young, Bilbao won move on his release clause and I think we could do with someone who is more experienced. Surprised we haven't been linked.

Macabre Wolf

Like a lot of people would like to see Pedro and a CB but for me personally I think we may be done this window.TBH can't wait for September the 1st so all the BS goes away till January.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Like a lot of people would like to see Pedro and a CB but for me personally I think we may be done this window.TBH can't wait for September the 1st so all the BS goes away till January.
If we don't get Pedro (I imagine he will join) we will go for other attacking player. Going into season with our current attackers would be suicidal.

bucky

We'll get Pedro, and still think we'll push for a centre back. Laporte would be my first choice but he's still young, Bilbao won move on his release clause and I think we could do with someone who is more experienced. Surprised we haven't been linked.
There had been reports a few months ago, then he signed a new contract. Would be my first choice as well.

Lewis.no.9

Chelsea have been poor in this window. By not adding to their squad I dont think they can retain the title at all this year, everyone else in and around that top 4 has though (except Spurs). Liverpool have spent a tonne, Arsenal will get over their awful start and be in that chase, Southampton could likely be up there too. Man City could potentially be the favorites in my mind if they land these targets of theirs.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Despite scraping 2 wins I still think we are three quality players short of challenging for the BIG TWO:

1. Centre back - Otamendi?
2. Creative, pacey attacking mid - Bale? If not then Pedro will do
3. Striker - Kane? Even Berahino would improve on Rooney ok maybe not

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We need a striker, that's clear. Hernandez I just don't see and Rooney has been terrible. IMO, we don't need another winger, rather give Depay and Januzaj more game time

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Despite scraping 2 wins I still think we are three quality players short of challenging for the BIG TWO:

1. Centre back - Otamendi?
2. Creative, pacey attacking mid - Bale? If not then Pedro will do
3. Striker - Kane? Even Berahino would improve on Rooney ok maybe not

Pedro yes. The other two no. There's no sign from our first two performances that we need Otamendi. Rooney will start scoring goals as will the others.

Flying_Heckfish

Winger (Pedro) and a forward - or convert an exiting player to striker full time (Memphis, Pedro, Januzaj?). Rooney has little competition at the moment and that is incredibly worrying.

Alias
Right... I've seen enough. Sign Hugo Lloris and Harry Kane please. Kane is not a one season wonder and Lloris is pretty awesome. £18m max for Lloris, £40m max for Kane should do the job now.

Heardy

Right... I've seen enough. Sign Hugo Lloris and Harry Kane please. Kane is not a one season wonder and Lloris is pretty awesome. £18m max for Lloris, £40m max for Kane should do the job now.
levy wouldn't let them go for that:

-£25m for lloris and £50m for Kane before spurs would even entertain a conversation. I think it'd take over 80m to prise them both away.

Dyslexic Untied

If we sign Pedro I think we are pretty much fine for this season unless other players (DDG included) leave. I don't think there are any centerbacks available that will vastly improve us, nor do we need the numbers really. Rooney will play regardless of form any way, and I believe he will find his form quite soon.

Butty19

If we sign Pedro I think we are pretty much fine for this season unless other players (DDG included) leave. I don't think there are any centerbacks available that will vastly improve us, nor do we need the numbers really. Rooney will play regardless of form any way, and I believe he will find his form quite soon.
Can I ask what makes you think he'll find his form soon? I'm not having a go it's just in my opinion he has shown no indication of finding form.

Dyslexic Untied

Can I ask what makes you think he'll find his form soon? I'm not having a go it's just in my opinion he has shown no indication of finding form.
Yeah, fair enough question. Just that he usually takes a long time to find his form, that he routinely needs several games under his belt to get going etc. In addition, although he hasn't been the Rooney of old in recent years (taking players on, dominating play etc) he is and will always be a very good finisher (IMO). He is good at putting chances away. The way we have been playing so far means that he has been given very few goal scoring chances . We have created very little for him to finish basically. With us picking up form and confidence, and maybe by getting Pedro, I am sure we will create more. Once that happens, he will tuck away a few hopefully and his confidence will rise.

Butty19

Yeah, fair enough question. Just that he usually takes a long time to find his form, that he routinely needs several games under his belt to get going etc. In addition, although he hasn't been the Rooney of old in recent years (taking players on, dominating play etc) he is and will always be a very good finisher (IMO). He is good at putting chances away. The way we have been playing so far means that he has been given very few goal scoring chances . We have created very little for him to finish basically. With us picking up form and confidence, and maybe by getting Pedro, I am sure we will create more. Once that happens, he will tuck away a few hopefully and his confidence will rise.
Although I don't share your optimism I do hope you're right.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We failed to bring a cb since Rio retired and vidic moved on. It should've been number 1 priority.
Marco Rojo last summer? Or are we not counting him because of some sort of criteria he doesn't fit for you?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Marco Rojo last summer? Or are we not counting him because of some sort of criteria he doesn't fit for you?
You can't lose 2 Highly experienced first team CB's like those and not bring in at least one equally great CB. Rojo isn't anywhere near them, the fact blind is first choice over him says all you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.