Manchester United Summer Transfer Window 2015: What do we still need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The contract only increased his release clause from 65m to 80m Euros. We can still get him if we want, and of course if he wants to come.
Doubt they'd sell him for less then that release clause though, and doubt we'd be prepared to pay it either.

He'd be perfect for us mind you, but still... not going to happen.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Doubt they'd sell him for less then that release clause though, and doubt we'd be prepared to pay it either.

He'd be perfect for us mind you, but still... not going to happen.
They won't. We'll have to pay the full 80m for sure.

He would be terrific for us; however, don't know if he fits the VG "player profile".

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
So if we lost DDG in the coming days, end up with Romero as a starter for the rest of the season and did not sign anyone else... would we be in trouble?

Riz

The contract only increased his release clause from 65m to 80m Euros. We can still get him if we want, and of course if he wants to come.
So we could have got him for £11m less earlier in the summer and settled pre season. I doubt he's a long term target otherwise we would have done exactly that, maybe we've now turned out attention to him but I sincerely doubt it.

Last edited:

Riz

So if we lost DDG in the coming days, end up with Romero as a starter for the rest of the season and did not sign anyone else... would we be in trouble?
I wouldn't say in trouble, missing out on Pedro is still pretty raw but taking emotion out of it we're far stronger than last year imo even if De Gea leaves and no one else comes in.

forevrared

The more I think about it, the more I (want to) believe the 'haggling' over the price was United buying time to work on an alternative target. We knew from the start what Barca were asking and it was perfectly reasonable given Pedro's quality -- so if we really wanted him, it'd have been wrapped up ages ago. I have to think he was always a backup plan and hopefully we've made some progress on another deal in the meantime that means we don't need to sign Pedro.

Or LVG is as knee-jerk as the rest of us and is scared shitless by Rooney's start to the season and is looking everywhere for a striker.

Adebesi

I had this discussion a week or two ago. I think it all hinges on Rooney, basically. If he stays fit and has a good season, I think we could do well exactly as we are. If he carries on like he has been for the first few games, or gets injured for any significant period of time, we have a big problem. That is the long and short of it, I think.

Drifter

American
Have a feeling the wallet may be put away. Unless an exceptional player becomes available.

Devil may care

GK - Could have been Trapp this summer or it could be Leno, Karius, Lecomte or someone else next summer. Lloris seems the best option there and I'm not his biggest fan.

CB - Do you think Stones is an improvement on what we currently have and could we offer him enough time to develop as much as needs? Furthermore he'd probably compete with Smalling, Jones and McNair for the right spot and I think we need someone for the left spot alongside Smalling more. Personally I couldn't care less which foot a centre-half uses and would just play our best players, but I don't see Stones and Smalling playing together under van Gaal if the former signs.

#10 - IMO a problem we didn't need to have, but like you said, both Mata and Herrera aren't preferred or fancied there. Rooney, Januzaj and Fellaini seem to be other options. Considering how van Gaal prefers to have a second striker than an attacking midfielder there, Fekir seems to be the best option as he's capable of both and is used to playing just behind Lacazette. Reus, Müller and de Bruyne don't seem realistic at this moment of time. I think it would be easier to improve our wide options and I also think it's needed more with Memphis, Mata, Young, Januzaj and Pereira as options, which is why Pedro probably makes sense.

Striker - I don't think we will be able to solve this one this summer and have to be patient until next year.
GK - Hopefully this will be put off until next summer, or maybe if Leverkusen get knocked out by Lazio we can get Leno.

CB - I think Stones is better than Jones and Rojo and is comfortable enough on the ball with either foot that he could play LCB in the same way Hummels does despite being right footed.

#10 - Fekir is my choice as well but if Isco were to become available or Barkley finds consistency they'd be options too. I am surprised we are not more interested in De Bruyne given he can play as a #10 and wide right.

Striker - I agree we can't solve this until next summer and it will be the big reason that 3rd is the best we'll manage in the league IMO.

RWF - Since we've screwed the pooch on Pedro we now need a player here as well, none of the players we have are suited to playing from the right as a proper wide forward. The calls for Grizemann make sense.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We'd be 4th and cupless again but a lot closer than last year. We need a new forward player to make the difference.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We can win the title with our current squad.

Adcuth

Either this

Or this

Both unrealistic but that'd do me for the season.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We dont need another signing. We're well stocked now, bought well. Our only weakness imo is our striker position but then again, why not give our current and young players some game time

Michael T

I would be unpleasantly surprised if that was it for this transfer window. By January most top players will be cup-tied, and what's the point in giving LvG millions next summer if it's his last season in charge? The club would surely be more likely to save money for the next manager perhaps. I was sure this transfer window that we would go all-out to take on our main opposition, but if that's it for the summer, then we look a bit lightweight compared to Chelsea, City, Real Madrid and Barca etc. We need more goal threat for sure, even if no more at the back.

Ixion

We've never won the league when Rooney has finished as our top goal scorer so I think we definitely need to strengthen up front still, we can't rely on him to fire us to trophies.

yamo123x

Chelsea get Pedro- he was a snip at that price. Will do well in prem too. We need some pace in the squad

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Either this

Or this

Both unrealistic but that'd do me for the season.

Not unrealistic at all tbh, both just have 1 player different but both teams are :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Amazing how one player can make a team look so much better.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Who's going to score the goals? Assume you believe Rooney will come good... but in which case, what if he gets injured?
People said this kind of thing when Van Nistlerooy was sold.

Chicharito's last season at United under a competent manager saw him outscore Rooney with 18 goals from 36 games. He looked very lively up front last night too. Had Fellaini missed that header Hernandez was lurking at the back post.

Memphis will also score a decent amount with his runs, dribbling and shooting.

No way. We will be battling for 3rd and 4th if we stay as we are.
Ok. Let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.