g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United to deal with the leaks

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Why in gods name would a player bother to talk to a journalist and leak information in the first place?
I’d imagine one motive would be to receive good press and maintain a high profile in return. Look at someone like Lingard who is, in the grand scheme of things, a bit of a nothing player. Hasn’t achieved much of note in his career and isn’t going to. Pure mediocrity. Yet a few games where he has a run of form and calls for an England call-up and return to the United starting XI start appearing, even the implication that he’s been treated unfairly by the United hierarchy. It all goes some way towards conveying the impression that he is a more significant figure in football than his career actually merits.

mav_9me

These leaks are also a reflection of the owners. The player/s see the way the owners/Woodward etc brief/leak to journalists and see how they try to shape the narrative. They are just trying to do the same at their level imo.

Blood Mage

Kicking out some of the entitled British lads who are obviously behind this would be a start. Shaw and Lingard are definitely involved.

JB7

So as a club we've leaked to Sky Sports that we are pretty sure where the leaks are coming from?

What a club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The club always know what is going on and how to fix everything.

Yet once again we're in an absolute mess, hoping either a guy sacked by Tottenham, or a guy who "Might" be good but is utterly unproven outside the dutch league will magic us back into shape.

Great stuff.

redshaw

Leaky roof, leaky defence, leaky dressing room. Even our owners hair looks leaky.

crossy1686

career ending
Erasing this self serving culture is the first step to getting things right. I really hope this isn't just lip service, these twats need running out of the club.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You help out reporters in return for good press
I wrote that in my last sentence.

But: Trading informaton for good publicity is (hopefully) not something a reputable journalist would do. Its extremely unethical and the player in question who could be caught feeding information not intended for the public risks a huge windall that includes the termination of his job contract under the "putting the club in disrespute" clause thats part of the standardized EPl contracts.

"Luke Shaw is ready to sign a new contract" is information that is unproblematic to leak. Its not a negative nor is it sensitive information

"Paul Pogba gets into heated fight with Jesse Lingard in the dressing room" IS information that is harmful and carries pretty significant risk to leak for a player, IF they are discovered. There are probably more than one hand in the relevant news organization that knows who the source for any claim is. I would not want to risk my reputation and career on the safety equalent of "12345" as my password.

But, maybe I am just hopeful and assume that people behave like self preserving adults.

RedDevil@84

I wrote that in my last sentence.

But: Trading informaton for good publicity is (hopefully) not something a reputable journalist would do. Its extremely unethical and the player in question who could be caught feeding information not intended for the public risks a huge windall that includes the termination of his job contract under the "putting the club in disrespute" clause thats part of the standardized EPl contracts.

"Luke Shaw is ready to sign a new contract" is information that is unproblematic to leak. Its not a negative nor is it sensitive information

"Paul Pogba gets into heated fight with Jesse Lingard in the dressing room" IS information that is harmful and carries pretty significant risk to leak for a player, IF they are discovered. There are probably more than one hand in the relevant news organization that knows who the source for any claim is. I would not want to risk my reputation and career on the safety equalent of "12345" as my password.

But, maybe I am just hopeful and assume that people behave like self preserving adults.
You expect way too much from the journalists. They have zero accountability. Half of the papers are living for the clicks. Do you think that every summer we are actually linked to 30-40 players. We are not and journalists can talk out of the asses and then deny everything the next day.

United in sin

Who says it's actually any of the players?

There's equally as good a chance that the leaks are coming from a back room member of staff who is doing it for personal benefit
Undercover Liverpool fans among our staff

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Why in gods name would a player bother to talk to a journalist and leak information in the first place? This reeks of backroom staffer with team access who overhears things.

The only thing I will believe a player leaks is information about themselves, through their PR teams
Maybe because a journalist writes pieces that show them in a positive light at a time in need. A journo ‘friends with benefits’

Longshanks

So as a club we've leaked to Sky Sports that we are pretty sure where the leaks are coming from?

What a club.
A wise man once said 'to fix a leak you must first create a leak' probably.

EngimaMK

If he thinks he's leaking now, wait until I'm done with him, he'll look like Mel Gibson's Jesus
“You breathe a word of this [team news] to anyone, you mincing fecking cnut, and I will tear your fecking skin off, I will wear it to your mother’s birthday party and I will rub your nuts up and down her leg whilst whistling Bohemian fecking Rhapsody, right?”

Smithy89

Henderson, Shaw, Maguire, Scott, Jesse or Rashford. It could be any of these, but i wouldn't be surprised if it's someone completely random.

dinostar77

At last! With the rumours about VDB and Martial having issues with their respective new loan clubs I have to wonder what kind of culture we have going on here at the club- it's like we're just a magnet for entitled pr*cks . Hopefully this is a sign of the club toughening up.
Any chance of expanding on this as i havent heard anything?

the chameleon

'There has been a leak from a reliable source that Manchester United will be looking into the leaks and deal with the culprits!'

MrSingh2002

As if United could talk about Media leaks for feck sake. They've used media leaks more than any club.

Disgraceful ownership have had to resort to bullshit leaks and propaganda for years to hide their poor performance.

The clubs fecking rotten. If Rangnick isn't given a proper position it just shows again all they want are puppets who can keep the charade going. We need a manager who actually has a philosophy that can match Rangnicks so we can move forward.

feck the owners and feck Ed Woodward for his incompetence over the years. Their bad decisions have cost us everything we had as a club.