Manchester United to resume search for technical director

Name Changed

weso26
The club don't give a feck about the fans and don't really give a feck about the team once they keep making money. That's all that matters.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's a lot to take in here.

First of all, this:
No offer has been made and it is thought the role would not involve negotiating with or signing transfer targets.
So, erm, what is the job spec exactly?

Also, this:
Fan @SteveCapes94, who has just over 100 Twitter followers, said: "If you're in charge of the world's biggest football club and haven't come close to a league title in your six-year time in charge. You have to look at yourself and admit you can't do your job." This tweet has been liked more than 1,500 times.
Huh?

arthurka

They must take us for utter mugs. You really couldn't make it up :lol:
We are, we will be calling for Ole's head in December. This was as predicted right out of the textbook, terrible window and right now they need to save face. We buy all the season tickets, shirts, merch and all the other shit they market. Ed is doing one hell of a job for the owners.

Grande

I'm not usually this pessimistic, but in this case, I cannot help but be.

I'm not surprised and this is just par for the course for Man United now with Woodward in charge.

Woodward is good with the commercial side. He is also a good politician and knows how to play politics internally and externally. This news article is one of them.

But he can't manage the football side of things because football is not something you can mathematically measure 100% and he has zero feel for the game due to zero experience of the game.

His idea of mitigating his inexperience by having a huge committee for transfers/team management with entirely different people with different philosophies from 3/4 different managers is just going to result in a mish mash of compromises, unfulfilled potential and wasted money.

Unless he lucks himself into getting a set of committee members who not only all have good scouting insight and great footballing network, but also all share the same ideals, things aren't going to change.

His refusal to delegate the football side of things to 1 or 2 persons will cost us.

Just like how he cost us last season by refusing to get Mourinho what he wanted. Only to be getting those players now. When we have no champions league.

Or how he got a record fee striker but refused to pay for a proper winger to feed that striker the season before that. Instead, in mid season we got a forward who prefers to score goals rather than cross them for strikers. And now we are offloading the striker at a loss and can't offload the forward cause he is too old, has too high wages and had another bad season.

A mish mash of compromises, unfulfilled potential and wasted money.

It's sad because I think the team and Ole have a lot of potential and I fear it will get wasted.
I think most of the points in this post are very good. One thing I’d like to to add, though, is that since Solskjær arrived in December, there have been several decisions made about players in/out, contract renewals, youth promotions, coaches in at different levels - the things a TD/DoF would have contributed to - and though some protest against some of the renewals, I think it is clear that almost all these decisions makes sense in view of a direction the club is taking. It doesn’t look like a mish mash. The thing most of us are agitated by right now, I believe, is the percieved lack of speed things are happening with (only three in when we need 5/6 now, and when will we offload 4-6 players taking up space?).

Is this due to resources (the purse strings), bad negotiating (spending too much time on unrealistic targets), or that we are more specific (willing to wait for ideal targets rather than moving on to ok ones)? Or maybe all of the above?

So are the owners throwing the Solskjær regime under the bus? Is Woodward still tripping up a more and more homogenized football machinery? Do the fans have patience for a slow and perhaps turbulent building process?

Those are important questions to me regarding a new position around the manager and CEO.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some people are very gullible as they will still believe that Woodward is going to relinquish control. He won't.
The reason why the technical sporting director role is now being brought up, is because fans are thinking, "WTF!". This is damage control.
The same statement was issued after last Summer's transfer debacle.

The people who believe this nonsense are probably those who are investing in the company which captures, packages and sells "air" in boxes.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Wow, absolutely shameless stuff from the club. They're almost mocking us right now, must think we're daft.
I assure you, many people on this very form, will believe this.
They believed it last year, when I repeatedly said we would not hire anyone.
And they will believe it again.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

First of all, this:

Also, this:

Huh?
Yeah makes feck all sense to employ someone who’ll not be overseeing continuity side of things or making final decisions on the footballing part of the club. Essentially just pulling wool over fans eyes if so.

As for the tweet, I think the bloke meant that there has been one constant in last 6 years of failure— Woodward.

Chairman Steve

This development should make even the most passive of Utd fans stand and realise that Ed has scammed you.

tombombadil

I think most of the points in this post are very good. One thing I’d like to to add, though, is that since Solskjær arrived in December, there have been several decisions made about players in/out, contract renewals, youth promotions, coaches in at different levels - the things a TD/DoF would have contributed to - and though some protest against some of the renewals, I think it is clear that almost all these decisions makes sense in view of a direction the club is taking. It doesn’t look like a mish mash. The thing most of us are agitated by right now, I believe, is the percieved lack of speed things are happening with (only three in when we need 5/6 now, and when will we offload 4-6 players taking up space?).

Is this due to resources (the purse strings), bad negotiating (spending too much time on unrealistic targets), or that we are more specific (willing to wait for ideal targets rather than moving on to ok ones)? Or maybe all of the above?

So are the owners throwing the Solskjær regime under the bus? Is Woodward still tripping up a more and more homogenized football machinery? Do the fans have patience for a slow and perhaps turbulent building process?

Those are important questions to me regarding a new position around the manager and CEO.
I know what you mean but the last 6 years have given me a lot of pessimism. I can only hope that in the last 6 months, they are finally getting their act together and all the moving parts are finally moving in the same direction but there's always the nagging feeling things are going to get worse again.

At least now I can just focus on watching the games again and put all that transfer nonsense, which really these days is nothing but a mindless toxic mob, behind me. Hopefully there will at least be a few goals to celebrate, if not trophies.

POF

This development should make even the most passive of Utd fans stand and realise that Ed has scammed you.
Scammed who? What's the scam?

"As CEO, I'm going to pretend to make a positive move that will make me more successful at my job. The joke's on you United fans. Instead I am going to do an abysmal job, spend an absolute fortune on average players and destroy the value of the company I've been appointed to run."

He's a clever guy is Woody. That scam will for certain ensure he'll be earning every bonus in his remuneration package and laughing at all of the United fans.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't get what the aim is with releasing this info. It's obviously not going to please fans. Surely they're not that out of touch?

astracrazy

Not being funny, but Arsenal sorted out there DOF position and look what happened. A decent transfer window (for them) to be fair for some good prices. Utter shambles.

I still don't believe we will sign a DOF or TD. Its a press release to appease the #woodwardout storm

Renegade

People do understand if Ed hires a director of football he’ll won’t be able to get the attention he craves when we sign a superstar. Would his wage also decrease if someone is hired to do the job his meant to be doing? He wouldn’t want that surely?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
People do understand if Ed hires a director of football he’ll won’t be able to get the attention he craves when we sign a superstar. Would his wage also decrease if someone is hired to do the job his meant to be doing? He wouldn’t want that surely?
I doubt his wage would decrease. I don't think it works like that when you're that high up. He'll probably get given a few extra golf days in his contract to apologise for hiring someone to take the work load off.

Raw

First of all, this:

Perhaps the technical director just identifies the targets they want, and Woodward gets sent out to make the deal? Even though Solksjaer was the one identifying the targets anyway?

Grande

I know what you mean but the last 6 years have given me a lot of pessimism. I can only hope that in the last 6 months, they are finally getting their act together and all the moving parts are finally moving in the same direction but there's always the nagging feeling things are going to get worse again.

At least now I can just focus on watching the games again and put all that transfer nonsense, which really these days is nothing but a mindless toxic mob, behind me. Hopefully there will at least be a few goals to celebrate, if not trophies.
Silly season at the red cafe is and has always been utter horror. Every time :lol:

Scotty McT

There's a reason the two names touted have been Fletcher and Ferdinand. The role has no involvement with recruitment according to the article, so he basically wants a beloved ex-player to be a front for his failure.

laughtersassassin

A technical director won't be much use if it's a role in name. He needs to be the one leading negotiations etc.

As long as Ed and his Henchman Judge leads that it won't matter.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Perhaps the technical director just identifies the targets they want, and Woodward gets sent out to make the deal? Even though Solksjaer was the one identifying the targets anyway?
It’s all very confusing. I don’t necessarily think the Technical Director needs to identify targets (that’s for the scouting department) nor do they need to negotiate (that’s for the bean counters) but they probably do need to have oversight over both these functions. Which makes it hard to know where Woodward sees himself in all of this.

Code-CX

- No long-term planning
- Self-serving loathsome owners who couldn't be arsed with what happens on the pitch
- A fool for a CEO who has zero business doing what he does
- Abject failure of a transfer policy
- Keeping hold of completely bang-average players when it's been obvious for years that they aren't up to the task.

And these feckers have the gall to keep repeating the same statement every damn year. Embarrassing doesn't even come close to the state we are in right now.

I'm sorry if I may be knee-jerking here, but we are in risk of serious free-fall that could really damage the club in the future. If we keep throwing our managers under the bus, maintain this abomination of a transfer policy (actually scratch that, not even Ed knows what our transfer policy is) and keep floating around top 4, then I'm really dreading how that will affect us in a few years. Even though we're a huge club, this is just not sustainable in the long run and we will eventually take a hit. It's so disheartening seeing us being dragged in to the dirt by these owners and the infuriating thing is things will never change unless they sell, which I don't believe they ever will.

Eric's Seagull

There's a reason the two names touted have been Fletcher and Ferdinand. The role has no involvement with recruitment according to the article, so he basically wants a beloved ex-player to be a front for his failure.
He needs to grow a pair and stop passing the blame on, scapegoating people and making excuses when he fecks up. He really needs help in his job and just needs to come out and say something like "Sorry I fecked up but I tried my way and it didn't work now I am bringing in 'x' DoF to help me sort this out".

Kearnkoff69

Good post. I agree with everything you said, particularly the bolded bits highlighting new direction and parsing out the various possible reasons for our more "methodical" approach to the window this summer.

AR87

From past reports and how I perceive things to work now I think this mythical technical director would work in concert with the manager (OGS) and the head of first team development (Butt) to identify what the squad needs and prioritize targets. I think it's obvious that in terms of finding value in the transfer market Woodward is not doing an adequate job of using our scouts, who I do think actually are fine given the talent for the youth teams they've discovered over the past few years, which looks quite promising.

So essentially the way I think it would work is OGS would tell him and Butt the profile of players he wants to add to the squad, likely with some shortlist of players he likes in those positions. Butt would perhaps suggest some internal solutions from the youth team he feels are capable of making that step up. The technical director would then take both into consideration and formulate a more lengthy list of possible solutions available in the market with the help of the scouts and it would be up to Woodward to work through the lists and get in players.

That would likely be an improved structure but still leave Woodward with a major task to perform in which his capabilities have been found wanting at various times. I also won't believe Woodward will ever hire somebody to this role until it happens, if it goes, which it won't.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Woodys contempt for the fans knows no bounds. If any fans fall for this again...

Raw

From past reports and how I perceive things to work now I think this mythical technical director would work in concert with the manager (OGS) and the head of first team development (Butt) to identify what the squad needs and prioritize targets. I think it's obvious that in terms of finding value in the transfer market Woodward is not doing an adequate job of using our scouts, who I do think actually are fine given the talent for the youth teams they've discovered over the past few years, which looks quite promising.

So essentially the way I think it would work is OGS would tell him and Butt the profile of players he wants to add to the squad, likely with some shortlist of players he likes in those positions. Butt would perhaps suggest some internal solutions from the youth team he feels are capable of making that step up. The technical director would then take both into consideration and formulate a more lengthy list of possible solutions available in the market with the help of the scouts and it would be up to Woodward to work through the lists and get in players.

That would likely be an improved structure but still leave Woodward with a major task to perform in which his capabilities have been found wanting at various times. I also won't believe Woodward will ever hire somebody to this role until it happens, if it goes, which it won't.
I like the sound of that. Someone to oversee the players in the first team, youth team and whoever has been scouted and judge what sort of players fit the philosophy that they think would work for Man United. Obviously it would need a lot of thought and consideration as to who that would be.

I guess Woodward would be higher up than them and would oversee what the technical director is doing, sponsorships and the completion of transfers. Problem is I feel like Woodward would veto decisions made by the technical director because he's a shit.

Loon

:lol:
The closest Ferguson has come to condemnation is the Bayern comment. I wish he considered himself wealthy enough to genuinely speak his mind, even if it resulted in a Bill Shankly-type banishment.

Grande

Good post. I agree with everything you said, particularly the bolded bits highlighting new direction and parsing out the various possible reasons for our more "methodical" approach to the window this summer.
Thanks. Yes, it demands a lot from us fans, particularly as most of the goings on are not directly accessible to us, and the fact that we are, if anything, very emotional about it all.