Manchester United transfer news: Rafael da Silva facing exit as Louis van Gaal plans clearout

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Louis van Gaal has spoken with Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward to discuss contract renewals and sales of players

Manchester United will listen to offers for Rafael da Silva at the end of the season, with Louis van Gaal holding talks with senior figures this week over the Old Trafford futures of a further 10 players.
Van Gaal, the United manager, has spoken with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward to discuss contract renewals and sales of players, including Rafael, David de Gea, Robin van Persie and Radamel Falcao.
And with Rafael entering the final 12 months of his contract this summer and United maintaining a strong interest in Southampton defender Nathaniel Clyne, Van Gaal is ready to sell the 24-year-old, who has not played since the FA Cup third-round win at Yeovil.
Rafael’s prospects have diminished with Van Gaal claiming that Paddy McNair could be “the United right-back for the next 10 years” after handing the 19-year-old a new contract earlier this month.
Decisions have yet to be made on a number of other first-team players whose contracts expire either this summer or next, however.
Michael Carrick, who will be 34 by the start of next season, is expected to be handed a one-year contract before his deal runs out in June, with Ashley Young also expected to earn a new deal to replace the final year of his contract. Falcao is struggling to convince that he merits a permanent move when his loan from Monaco expires in May, while Tom Cleverley, whose contract is up in June, has been told he can leave at the end of his season-long loan at Aston Villa.
Jonny Evans, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are also entering the final year of their contract, with Evans understood to be most at risk of being sold this summer.
Goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard is likely to be sold, while the club will also look to sell Javier Hernandez if Real Madrid decide against making his loan deal permanent at the end of the season.
Defender Tyler Blackett has been rewarded for breaking into the first team this season with a new contract tying him to United until June 2017.
Who do you want to see the club sell or release?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Made up news. How can a manager organize a clear out if he himself might not be here next season?

KiD MoYeS

Made up news. How can a manager organize a clear out if he himself might not be here next season?
You really think that's how the club works?

van Gaal: "I'd like to discuss our transfer plans."
Woodward: "Nah mate, you might not be here next season."

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sad to see him go but ultimately his injuries were his downfall. Incredibly talented and could have become one of the best fullbacks in the world IMO, had it not been for his constant injuries. We can't rely on him though. I would have personally kept him as cover and signed someone else, but his choice.

Lindegaard, Evans and Falcao will all probably leave as well, along with the loanees, though hopefully Nani stays. Most of the clearout happened last summer.

Zoo

We won't get much for Rafa if by summer he's entering the last 12 months of his contract.

Really hope he doesn't go to another club in the PL.

KiD MoYeS

Not Rafael anyway. Selling him would be a terrible decision. He's easily our best right back and he deserves a chance.
I'd agree, but it's his injuries and not his ability which are the issue. I honestly think Giggs, or someone else, has assisted in van Gaal's strict evaluation of Rafael, because all our other injury prone defenders have continued to play this season.

Woodenlung

The insistence on quotes to back up a football transfer story is a waste a time; you'll never get them. The reality is that Mark Ogden is a decent football journalist who knows his stuff. He's hardly going to name a source in his story.

Anyway, I reckon this one is true.

KiD MoYeS

The insistence on quotes to back up a football transfer story is a waste a time; you'll never get them. The reality is that Mark Ogden is a decent football journalist who knows his stuff. He's hardly going to name a source in his story.

There's obviously some element of truth to the story, I think the most of us could have written the article to be honest.

Zoo

There's nothing new to us in it really, it's what we expect to happen.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Remember last season with stories towards the end of the season of Moyes making plans to sign Shaw etc and same with players possibly leaving. Managers plan toward next season. Sometimes they may not be there to make those transfer plans, but it's useful to plan ahead.

KiD MoYeS

Remember last season with stories towards the end of the season of Moyes making plans to sign Shaw etc and same with players possibly leaving. Managers plan toward next season. Sometimes they may not be there to make those transfer plans, but it's useful to plan ahead.
It's a ridiculous sentiment, any manager worth his salt in any business will plan ahead.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
We've got rid of a lot of deadwood already in the last 18 months. The only names that spring to mind at the moment are Rafael, Evans, Hernandez, Lindegaard and Nani as well as some of the members of the current first team (Valencia, RVP, Jones?) many of which are debeatable.

Ideally, I'd like to see us go into next season with something like this:

GK: De Gea, Valdes, Johnstone
Defence: Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, McNair, Shaw, New RB, New CB
Midfield: Blind, Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini, Di Maria, Januzaj, Nani, Mata, Young, New CM
Attack: Rooney, van Persie, Wilson, New CF, New LW

With those in bold as our first XI.

Last edited:

Seveneric

At least when he clears out 10 players and brings in a few more, he'll have the excuse of "but oh United lost a few players and the new ones are still adapting" when he underperforms again.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Would hate to see him go, but he's no use to us on the treatment table. I'd be tempted to give him another season, but if LvG doesn't rate him, which appears to be the case then it may be time for him to move on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nothing in that article we don't already know, really.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
We've got rid of a lot of deadwood already in the last 18 months. The only names that spring to mind at the moment are Rafael, Evans, Hernandez, Lindegaard and Nani as well as some of the members of the current first team, many of which are debeatable.

Defence: Jones, Smalling, Rojo, McNair, Shaw, New RB, New CB
Midfield: Blind, Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini, Di Maria, Januzaj, Nani, Mata, New CM
I would actually like to see us pursuing more wingers in the next window, and revert to wide play again. It's clearly something we like to do this season, but with a diamond formation we have no penetration on the width whatsoever. LVG highlighted our lack of top wingers in the summer when he said " we don't have world class winger like Ronaldo and Di Maria, so my hopes are that he is looking to head in this direction soon, albeit with more options available.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I would actually like to see us pursuing more wingers in the next window, and revert to wide play again. It's clearly something we like to do this season, but with a diamond formation we have no penetration on the width whatsoever. LVG highlighted our lack of top wingers in the summer when he said " we don't have world class winger like Ronaldo and Di Maria, so my hopes are that he is looking to head in this direction soon, albeit with more options available.
Even bringing in one winger and a striker would do wonders for our team, I feel. Playing a modern day striker (Vietto/Lacazette/Dybala keep being named) up top with someone like Depay on the wing and Di Maria on the other side (with Januzaj and Nani as backup) with Rooney/Mata/Herrera/Fellaini in the hole would work much better and be much more efficient than the current formation and tactics we use.

J-Stander

All those mentioned with a possibility of going will be gone, if Van Gaal is here of course. Even if a new manager comes in hopefully someone tells him how shite Evans is.

Raw

We've got rid of a lot of deadwood already in the last 18 months. The only names that spring to mind at the moment are Rafael, Evans, Hernandez, Lindegaard and Nani as well as some of the members of the current first team (Valencia, RVP, Jones?) many of which are debeatable.

Midfield: Blind, Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini, Di Maria, Januzaj, Nani, Mata, Young, New CM

I really like the look of that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If he sells 10 players in the summer, and signs 4 then complains about lack of balance next season I will die of laughter

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seems likely that Rafael will go anyway. Plus we know some of our CBs will be replaced too.

I'd be more interested in what he does with RvP/Falcao/Mata. You'd think one or two of that three will leave...

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Our best attacking fullback has been fit for most of the season yet Van Gaal won't even give Rafael a run in the team.

United is in a struggle for CL football: that the manager favours a teenage centre-back whose credentials stem from a so-so display against Cambridge, well it doesn't bode well. And though Valencia is steady, he's that person on a round of Crazy Golf who can't stop hitting the bloody windmill.

Last edited:

caid

Ill be sorry to see rafael go but hes not going to get games here so good luck to him, wish him all the best.
Its not his fitness because he isn't even making the bench when he is fit, van gaal just doesn't rate him.

United is in a struggle for CL football: that the manager favours a teenage centre-back whose credentials stem from a so-so display against Cambridge, well it doesn't bode well.
I'd imagine seeing him in training every day of the week might have a tiny bit to do with his decision.
(same with rafael incidentally).

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Sure they will plan ahead. That's a given. But that doesn't make anything in this piece worth a note. If he doesn't get a CL spot he will surely be sacked and if that happen then you can't go around selling players that the next manager might want. Selling players under contract and buying Shaw are totally different things. Shaw makes sense whoever the manager. Young, English and a highly bright prospect with no left back in place at the club.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He is a likable chracter who gives it all on the pitch and should start whenever he is fit, however you cannot deny that he is extremely injury prone. This is his 8th year at the club, you cannot wait endlessly for players to fulfil their potential. Moving on and getting a replacement would be the right move.

Who would I want to see us sell/release:

(1) Rafael - As explained above
(2) Evans - Similar situation to Rafael's.
(3) Young - One swallow doesn't make a summer. We should sell him when we can extract the maximum return from his sale.
(4) Nani - Already on a shop window loan.
(5) Hernandez - Same situation as Nani.
(6) Lindegaard - Back-up to a back-up now. Sell.
(7) Fellaini - Not suitable for us. Shades of his Everton form this season which might help recover some of our investment.
(8) Falcao - Spent superstart. Would be foolish to sign him.
(9) Cleverley - As good as gone already
(10) Blackett - Let's con someone.
(11) Powell - Not going to make it here.

Unsure about:

(1) Di Maria - If he doesn't want to stay then we should sell him to PSG and reinvest that amount in Bale.
(2) Mata - Really don't know what should we do with him.

Loan:

McNair, Wilson, Pearson & Rothwell should be sent on good season long loans.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

I'd agree with that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What I think will happen:

GK: De Gea, Valdes

RB: New RB, Valencia, McNair

LB: Shaw, (New LB), (Rojo), (Blind)

RCB: Jones, Smalling, (New Ambidextrous CB)

LCB: New Ambidextrous CB, Rojo

DM: Carrick, Blind

CM: New CM (8 who can play 6 too), Herrera, Fellaini

AM, Di Maria, Mata

LWF: New winger 1, (Di Maria), Young

RWF: New winger 2, (Di Maria), (Januzaj), (Wilson)

ST: New Striker, Rooney, Wilson, Van Persie

Out: Rafael, Evans, (Cleverley, Hernandez) £30m

In: Clyne, Hummels, Schneiderlin, Bale, Depay, (Nani?) £190m

Formation: 4-3-3

A new CB who can play either L or R will add consistency as it makes it easier to have a quality back pairing front the choice of 4 and a new RB who adds quality to the backline.

Similar to the diamond in midfield but with a new #8 who can offer more support to Blind/Carrick while still able to carry forward and create. With good planning this player should also offer an alternative to Blind and Carrick in DM if injury forces.

The biggest difference is up front where the 10 is replaced by a False 9 and flanked by two goal scoring wingers who replace our two strikers and in doing so add pace and width.

NoPace

I never understand why a team with a ton of money would get rid of a very good player with injury problems. We're the kind of team that can afford to have Rafael even if he gets hurt sometimes. If he's healthy, he's certainly worth having around.

Just buy an RB to compete with him. Madrid have Arbeloa and Carvajal at RB and Marcelo and Coentrao at LB. Pep uses Alaba and Lahm elsewhere too but still has Bernat and Rafinha around. Atletico only have 3 proper adult fullbacks and it seems to cause them problems whenever Gamez has to play left back. Chelsea is an exception because they have 3 FB's who are generally healthy and one can play both sides and hasn't gotten seriously hurt in like 4 years (unless I'm misremembering).

So, I have no idea why we wouldn't just buy an RB to compete with Rafael who can play both sides then find a cheap LB or promote Blackett to be Shaw's backup. Selling Young and Valencia would surely cover the cost of all that when wages are considered and the Prem's insane TV money means those guys should be able to attract decent fees (especially Young) from mid-table managers desperate for Prem experience and some wide players better than the guys Newcastle, West Ham, Sunderland, Villa and others throw out every week.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I never understand why a team with a ton of money would get rid of a very good player with injury problems. We're the kind of team that can afford to have Rafael even if he gets hurt sometimes. If he's healthy, he's certainly worth having around.

Just buy an RB to compete with him. Madrid have Arbeloa and Carvajal at RB and Marcelo and Coentrao at LB. Pep uses Alaba and Lahm elsewhere too but still has Bernat and Rafinha around. Atletico only have 3 proper adult fullbacks and it seems to cause them problems whenever Gamez has to play left back. Chelsea is an exception because they have 3 FB's who are generally healthy and one can play both sides and hasn't gotten seriously hurt in like 4 years (unless I'm misremembering).

So, I have no idea why we wouldn't just buy an RB to compete with Rafael who can play both sides then find a cheap LB or promote Blackett to be Shaw's backup. Selling Young and Valencia would surely cover the cost of all that when wages are considered and the Prem's insane TV money means those guys should be able to attract decent fees (especially Young) from mid-table managers desperate for Prem experience and some wide players better than the guys Newcastle, West Ham, Sunderland, Villa and others throw out every week.

You're working on the assumption that when our new RB is injured, Rafael will be fit. As it is he's been injured for about 75% of the season so you have to have a back up and a back up for your backup and that's just daft. I love the feisty little bastard but there comes a time that you have to call quits.