Manchester United transfer news: Rafael da Silva facing exit as Louis van Gaal plans clearout

kundalini

I believe our main problems relate to our attack so I would be looking to move on as many as possible of Falcao, RVP, Rooney and Mata. I'd happily sell Fellaini too as he's not my type of player, though he has performed reasonably well this season.

Having said that, if any of the defenders who have contracts up in 2016 expect high basic salaries in their new deals, then I would be tempted to show them the door.

lysglimt

Scout
Falcao, Evans, Van Persie, Cleverley, Lindegaard and Hernandez are the players I would like us to sell/not keep

as for Rafael - I love him but see how many matches he plays every season, and you can begin to understand why United are willing to let him go.

He has one season played more than 19 matches in the league - in his first 6 seasons he played 99 league matches. Or to put it like this - he was involved in 43% of our league matches in his first 6 seasons. You can't keep a player like that!

Getsme

He is a likable chracter who gives it all on the pitch and should start whenever he is fit, however you cannot deny that he is extremely injury prone. This is his 8th year at the club, you cannot wait endlessly for players to fulfil their potential. Moving on and getting a replacement would be the right move.

Who would I want to see us sell/release:

(1) Rafael - As explained above
(2) Evans - Similar situation to Rafael's.
(3) Young - One swallow doesn't make a summer. We should sell him when we can extract the maximum return from his sale.
(4) Nani - Already on a shop window loan.
(5) Hernandez - Same situation as Nani.
(6) Lindegaard - Back-up to a back-up now. Sell.
(7) Fellaini - Not suitable for us. Shades of his Everton form this season which might help recover some of our investment.
(8) Falcao - Spent superstart. Would be foolish to sign him.
(9) Cleverley - As good as gone already
(10) Blackett - Let's con someone.
(11) Powell - Not going to make it here.

Unsure about:

(1) Di Maria - If he doesn't want to stay then we should sell him to PSG and reinvest that amount in Bale.
(2) Mata - Really don't know what should we do with him.

Loan:

McNair, Wilson, Pearson & Rothwell should be sent on good season long loans.
FFS :lol:
We won't be left with a squad. Why keep RVP and send Wilson on loan? Why sell Fellaini and Young when they will be useful squad players, not only that but they have been our better players this season? Why get rid of Di Maria, what indications has he shown that he's not happy? Mata has been one of our better players this season, why give Blackett an extension then sell him a few months later?

Last edited:

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Would hate to see the back of Rafael, can't we keep him regardless of a new RB coming in?

I understand that we can't rely on him, but he is more of an RB than Mcnair and Valencia, and shouldn't there always be competition for all positions?

Jev

Hope it's not true but it seems quite likely. Don't feel he's been treated fairly by LVG. He's been a great player for the club and deserved to at least get the chance to prove himself. But it's not the first time LVG has done this to a loyal United servant and it won't be the last.

Really don't see what he sees in McNair to make such a comment. He's not very good.

ghagua

Clear out should start from the top. LvG needs to go as soon as the season is over. Not worried about Rafael, he's too injury prone to rely on as first choice right back, but i would play him ahead of Valencia right now.

Getsme

Clear out should start from the top. LvG needs to go as soon as the season is over. Not worried about Rafael, he's too injury prone to rely on as first choice right back, but i would play him ahead of Valencia right now.
What if we finish 3rd?

Gopher Brown

As much as I like Rafael, I think the time has come to admit he's physically not up to the demands to the Prem and we should sell. Having said that, who is going to buy a permanently injured player, who has only averaged 16 league games per season since he arrived?

We can't be afraid to replace a good player with a better one - it's sometimes the only way to improve the team, particularly if the player himself has problems.

Fellaini is a great plan B, and should be kept. Young has been excellent this year and should also be kept - at this stage he's probably worth more to us than the £5m or so we could sell him for.

Hernandez, Nani, Falcao, Van Persie, Clev and Evans should be off, although that'll only bring in £15-20m tops, but it'll create room in the squad and free up wages.

khoazany

Who would I can see us sell/release:
1/ Cleverley
2/ Nani: the ship has sailed for him, let's face it.
3/ Falcao
4/ Lindegaard
5/ Amos
6/ Rafael: one of my favorite player but it's LVG's decision
7/ Hernandez
8/ Powell
9/ Mata
10/ Evans

Promote: Pereira (if he still stay),Pearson or Janko,James,Lingard and Henriquez
We'll buy new CB,RB/CM (either),striker and winger.

Gopher Brown

Ridiculous. We need stability. If we sack him in the summer what is the point of any of this? Why not sack managers after every defeat? A constant merry-go-round

ghagua

Ridiculous. We need stability. If we sack him in the summer what is the point of any of this? Why not sack managers after every defeat? A constant merry-go-round
That's your opinion. I don't want the kind of stability that LvG is providing. Sooner we get rid of him, the sooner we can hire someone else to provide that stability.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
FFS :lol:
We won't be left with a squad. Why keep RVP and send Wilson on loan? Why sell Fellaini and Young when they will be useful squad players, not only that but they have been our better players this season? Why get rid of Di Maria, what indications has he shown that he's not happy? Mata has been one of our better players this season, why give Blackett an extension then sell him a few months later?

Did I say that Di Maria should be sold if he is happy?
The "better player" currently can't find a space in the XI. And I said, I am UNSURE about him.

About the rest:

Young is a soon to be 30 year old in the last year of his contract. He has done well when fit, but has been injured for large parts like most his seasons at United. If we want a squad player then we have a hungrier, younger player on loan at Derby right now. He should be brought back.

Nothing like Fellaini should ever be useful for United. There is no point keeping him and going route one.

Sell Blackett a few months later because this might be the only time someone can be conned into buying him. If he stays or go on loan there would be no hope.

Buy yeah, :lol::lol::lol:FFS..

NJM78

Made up or true - I would like to see Evans gone (he is crap) and possibly Jones. Smalling I would keep especially as McNair and Blackett are secured and we are almost certain to buy a top CB in summer, 5 will be enough for sure.
Hernandez I hope is sold and Falcao unless he bangs in 10 goals in the next 10 weeks will not be kept. I would be okay with van Persie also being sold if we had a replacement signing on the cards so too with Rafael as he is just too inconsistent, rash and always injured. Valencia seems happy there as back up so too McNair but I would like Clyne to be signed for sure. Lindegaard is surely on his way out for his own sake unless there is something dramatic regarding De Gea refusing a new deal - which I highly doubt.

Getsme

Did I say that Di Maria should be sold if he is happy?
The "better player" currently can't find a space in the XI. And I said, I am UNSURE about him.

About the rest:

Young is a soon to be 30 year old in the last year of his contract. He has done well when fit, but has been injured for large parts like most his seasons at United. If we want a squad player then we have a hungrier, younger player on loan at Derby right now. He should be brought back.

Nothing like Fellaini should ever be useful for United. There is no point keeping him and going route one.

Sell Blackett a few months later because this might be the only time someone can be conned into buying him. If he stays or go on loan there would be no hope.

Buy yeah, :lol::lol::lol:FFS..
Young - Oooh nooooos Young has hit the (near) 30 mark, he's now finished as a player and quite possibly a human, further how dare he do well when he's been fit, perfect reason to get rid.

Fellaini - Nothing like Fellaini should be useful at United? Except he has been useful at a team like United.

Blackett - let's sign him up until 2018 so we can sell him in January for about £1.5 million, don't worry about having to paying out his contract or anything. Fantastic logic but an even better con.

Why not try and make Di Maria happy? Or should we just give up an all our players, as for not knowing what to do with Mata? Play him maybe but that's just crazy talk I suppose.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Young - Oooh nooooos Young has hit the (near) 30 mark, he's now finished as a player and quite possibly a human, further how dare he do well when he's been fit, perfect reason to get rid.

Fellaini - Nothing like Fellaini should be useful at United? Except he has been useful at a team like United.

Blackett - let's sign him up until 2018 so we can sell him in January for about £1.5 million, don't worry about having to paying out his contract or anything. Fantastic logic but an even better con.

Why not try and make Di Maria happy? Or should we just give up an all our players, as for not knowing what to do with Mata? Play him maybe but that's just crazy talk I suppose.

:lol: I feel like I am in junior school fight with the dumbest kid in my class.

I am sorry, I can't dignify that kind of childishness and stupidity with a proper response.

Good talk! Cheers!

Getsme

:lol: I feel like I am in junior school fight with the dumbest kid in my class.

I am sorry, I can't dignify that kind of childishness and stupidity with a proper response.

Good talk! Cheers!
So you have no response, thought so.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
What I think will happen:

GK: De Gea, Valdes

RB: New RB, Valencia, McNair

LB: Shaw, (New LB), (Rojo), (Blind)

RCB: Jones, Smalling, (New Ambidextrous CB)

LCB: New Ambidextrous CB, Rojo

DM: Carrick, Blind

CM: New CM (8 who can play 6 too), Herrera, Fellaini

AM, Di Maria, Mata

LWF: New winger 1, (Di Maria), Young

RWF: New winger 2, (Di Maria), (Januzaj), (Wilson)

ST: New Striker, Rooney, Wilson, Van Persie

Out: Rafael, Evans, (Cleverley, Hernandez) £30m

In: Clyne, Hummels, Schneiderlin, Bale, Depay, (Nani?) £190m

Formation: 4-3-3

A new CB who can play either L or R will add consistency as it makes it easier to have a quality back pairing front the choice of 4 and a new RB who adds quality to the backline.

Similar to the diamond in midfield but with a new #8 who can offer more support to Blind/Carrick while still able to carry forward and create. With good planning this player should also offer an alternative to Blind and Carrick in DM if injury forces.

The biggest difference is up front where the 10 is replaced by a False 9 and flanked by two goal scoring wingers who replace our two strikers and in doing so add pace and width.

Only thing I don't love is Rojo being a starter...apart from that ADM shouldn't play the wings unless we play 2 in midfield with 2 wingers as we can't play him in midfield then obviously, who would your preference be for the new striker? And off topic isn't ambidextrous just for hands?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Can't believe how many people want to keep rvp despite being poor for two thirds of his time here.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
You're working on the assumption that when our new RB is injured, Rafael will be fit. As it is he's been injured for about 75% of the season so you have to have a back up and a back up for your backup and that's just daft.
Likewise, your reply is operating under the assumption that it has the least grounding in truth, however with this quality being absent it is deprived of such comfort. If you took the time to check, you would soon discover that tge rwality this season is closer to the opposite of what you are claiming.

Save for those RBs in the premier League i know little about the prospective candidates, although it would only seem prudent for us to maintain a pair of decent attacking players in the role (something which neither Valencia nor McNair are able to offer).

And should the club indeed wish to sell it mightn't be a bad idea to actually prove that he still exists, and is worthy of the fee. at least use him to help secure CL.

Smores

Ill be furious if we sell Rafael, he sums up the exciting style we're used to and is one of the only players who plays with passion.

I honestly couldn't give a toss if he misses every 6th or 7th game. When it comes to his contract then we offer him less money to reflect that but what why sell him unless we have to, he might be happy with squad rotation for all we know.

Brophs

The One and Only
If he keeps clearing them out at this rate he'll eventually just be clearing out the players he's bought himself. Change management, bitches.

NJM78

I don't think this if true would be a massive clear out as we can't be including Hernandez, Cleverley, Lindegaard because as far as I'm concerned they are gone already. Definitely Evans should be sold for me and the general consensus among the fans is we're all expecting Falcao to go.
RvP to go for a fee as opposed to free makes sense to me if a replacement will be bought, we also have Henriquez to come back who has scored 16 goals in 25 apps for Dynamo Zagreb this season so far.
Rafael has 35 starts since the beginning of last season so I could understand him being sold and someone like Clyne being brought in to hopefully build a settled back four going forward.
Nani may come back after a good season in Portugal or it has helped us sell him which is much more likely in my opinion.
With possibly four new additions to come in and the likes of Blackett, McNair and Wilson looking like first squad regulars we'll have a big enough squad.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ill be furious if we sell Rafael, he sums up the exciting style we're used to and is one of the only players who plays with passion.

I honestly couldn't give a toss if he misses every 6th or 7th game. When it comes to his contract then we offer him less money to reflect that but what why sell him unless we have to, he might be happy with squad rotation for all we know.
Me too, he was arguably one of our top 3 players in our last title winning season. I don't think he's as injury prone as people are making out on here lately either. Honestly wouldn't trade Rafael for any other RB in the EPL.

MDFC Manager

One of the last remaining players in th squad who play with their hearts on their sleeves. Would be really sad to see him go. That said over the past couple of seasons, I've often forgotten he even exists.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What scares me is that people want Hummels here who's injury record is pretty similar to Rafaels. Rafa has been fit since December 14th he's just been completely phased out by Van Gaal. The odd point being that when Rafael has started this season we've only lost 1 game (that Leicester one), drawn 2 (one being Chelsea) and won 3.

He must not understand Van Gaals 'philosophy' :(

Getsme

If we do get rid of a large chunk of the squad we can finally put to bed that it’s not LVGs team, I’d argue that it’s his team at the moment but I can appreciate why others wouldn’t.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I don't feel the need to get rid unless someone better comes in, he can't stay fit, we need someone who can, if he isn't on huge wages, keep him about as a sub as I can't see us pulling a good fee for him now..

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
If Southampton finish in the CL places the likeihood of Clyne opting to stay where he is increases, and Euro 2016 would also be a further incentive to do so. From the club's PoV, they won't be eager to see the departure of both him and Schneiderlin in the same window.

Last edited:

humdinger

I'd be sad but unsurprised to see Rafa go. He is one of the few players who actually looks like he cares in a squad generally lacking mental strength and character.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What scares me is that people want Hummels here who's injury record is pretty similar to Rafaels. Rafa has been fit since December 14th he's just been completely phased out by Van Gaal. The odd point being that when Rafael has started this season we've only lost 1 game (that Leicester one), drawn 2 (one being Chelsea) and won 3.

He must not understand Van Gaals 'philosophy' :(
I'm not entirely sure he's the answer but to be fair to Hummels he has played 30 games or above for the last 5 years. He's struggled this year but then he had an exhausting summer off the back of a long season.

Conversely, Rafael had the summer off and has made above 30 appearances once in his 7 years at the club.

Rafael has 167 apperances in 7 years to Hummels 226. That's 2 more seasons worth of football under his belt in 7 years.

Mainoldo

If we do get rid of a large chunk of the squad we can finally put to bed that it’s not LVGs team, I’d argue that it’s his team at the moment but I can appreciate why others wouldn’t.
I think your a year behind lol. Know ones said that this year! Only mention of the squad is that it's not balanced.