Manchester United transfer news: Rafael da Silva facing exit as Louis van Gaal plans clearout

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
There's no point in keeping him as an alternate RB with his injury record. Sort of defeats the point of having someone reliable to deputise.
So would you prefer to keep Valencia as backup then just because he's got a good injury record?

And I'm not just talking about being a backup for the injured first choice option, but a genuine rotation option and attacking option to bring off the bench.

C'est Moi Cantona

Don't know how well informed Ogden is anymore but 4 in, 10 out (if it includes loaned, and fringe players) sounds about right, RB, CB, Midfielder, striker, though reckon we could do with a couple of CB's.

Brightonian

Parting ways with Evans and Hernandez would be good decisions. Rafa is a harder one to take because he's so talented, but I suppose at the end of the day all the talent in the world is no use if you're permanently injured. We don't need Rafa to become our Diaby.

m1y2

the guy is 24 ffs, people have short memories, standout player a couple of seasons ago, last season people call him average or so but he had some great games too and was one of the few players who was up to some sort of standard, I'd find 20 worse players that season under Moyes. He's also injured often but I feel it can get better, he had a bad spell of injuries at the start this campaign but so had almost everyone, then he had this cheek fracture which is quite unfortunate.

Now "sadly" Valencia somehow managed to convince Van Gaal, while Rafa's been out, with his solid approach that he's a good option and he's decent but nothing more than that. And we know Van Gaal, he takes time to make decisions. It will take Van Gaal some time but Rafael will be back He's far better talent and he will overcome those injuries to some extent. He may also have the same issue with Van Gaal as Herrera had when he was too creative and not up to do exactly what the new gaffer wanted..

Lastly he was always a player who needed no time to get in form which is why I think we should definitely keep him.

People mention names like Clyne who is steadily going to be a decent player but never as talented as Rafael, he's obviously overrated and suddenly people frustrated with Rafael's injuries and Valencia's solid play believe this player is what we need. Another example is Coleman, who is a good player but also as Clyne he's not huge upgrade even on Valencia, he also had one great season, and two solid seasons one - last season under Moyes and now the second under Martinez, nothing more than that, people are going really overboard with these players. I understand we should demand only the best but we already have a good couple of players who should share their games in the next season. Rafael and Valencia

Minkaro

No problems with Evans and Hernandez going, but I'd like us to keep Rafael.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Evans and Hernandez should definitely be sold. As for Rafael he might as well be sold because he's clearly not in van Gaal's plans.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't we buy him for 12 million? Aint happening anyway.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's the first time I've ever heard of this John Percy, so I'm choosing to believe it's bullshit to be honest.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
£12m for a 25 year old Chris Smalling :lol:

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Smalling isn't gonna be sold. He's probably our best defender. Definitely from a technical aspect anyway.

But if he was, these days, you'd expect it to be for no less than £20m.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
£12 million :lol:

Smalling is the last centre-back we should be considering selling, so if Arsenal are going to make a move then I hope we respectfully tell them to feck-off.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
This is the third transfer window in a row Wenger has been linked with Smalling; they must be getting some encouragement to keep coming forward.

NoPace

Evans and Hernandez should definitely be sold. As for Rafael he might as well be sold because he's clearly not in van Gaal's plans.
We have 8 games left to hope that changes. Things were looking dark (though not quite as much) for Herrera and Mata for a while too. Van Gaal could come to his senses about Rafael, too.

Devil may care

Maybe his girlfriend wants to move back to London.
It's more likely that his contract is running down and Wenger is monitoring that as he wanted him in the first place, plus after getting Welbeck they may think we are open to doing business with them.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's more likely that his contract is running down and Wenger is monitoring that as he wanted him in the first place, plus after getting Welbeck they may think we are open to doing business with them.
My comment was not meant to be taking seriously. It was a poor attempt of a joke related to the David De Gea situation.

Bojan11

We'd be stupid to sell our best defender to a rival, who will then replace their worst defender Mertesacker.

Mani

I don't think we'll sell Smalling after his performances.As well i don't want to see Rafael leaving us.

Classical Mechanic

Letting Smalling go to Arsenal would be a horrendous decision on our part.
It wouldn't surprise me. Smalling has been decent but displayed some truly terrible passing against Spurs and there was a moment against Liverpool when he leathered a pass in a dangerous area to one of our players, luckily it was Mata and he controlled it.

If the Hummels rumours are true, he is right footed right? So it will be Hummels + Jones/Rojo. Smalling is poor on the left.

I wouldn't be surprised if he kept Evans. Then he would have two left and two right and the worst ball player in the defense would be gone.

Bojan11

It wouldn't surprise me. Smalling has been decent but displayed some truly terrible passing against Spurs and there was a moment against Liverpool when he leathered a pass in a dangerous area to one of our players, luckily it was Mata and he controlled it.

If the Hummels rumours are true, he is right footed right? So it will be Hummels + Jones/Rojo. Smalling is poor on the left.

I wouldn't be surprised if he kept Evans. Then he would have two left and two right and the worst ball player in the defense would be gone.

Smalling has been good with the ball in the last two games, so don't know what games you been watching.

And he has been coming out with the ball a lot too. He has improved miles from the start of the season.

Classical Mechanic

Smalling has been good with the ball in the last two games, so don't know what games you been watching.

And he has been coming out with the ball a lot too. He has improved miles from the start of the season.
He wasn't bad against Liverpool but against Spurs he hit some truly horrible passes. One went into row Z FFS.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Smalling has really kicked on. Get him tied down.

At the start of the season I was really skeptical about him, purely because he was brainless in possession, but he's clearly bought into LVG's style and put the work in. Since the City red card in particular, he's improved game after game. Not many have completely shut out Harry Kane this season, but he was a major part as to why he couldn't get a kick in the game against us.

Ed, forget medicals...it's time for contracts.

SirAF

Ageist
i am on the phone, cant see the whole tweet. Probably missing something that i cant see before the smiley
I was just saying that the whole idea of Smalling being sold to Arsenal is laughable.