Manchester United upgrade contact with Pep Guardiola, sources say

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Blimey, going from plane banners to telling managers we don't approve of their football before they're even here.
LVG is already here?

Sorry, bad choice of phrasing but you get the picture. The style of football he's been trying to implement is tumescent, slow and predictable. Possession for possession's sake.
I've started to really hate how we play.

MDFC Manager

This is actually believable. He probably would prefer to take a break anyway and would probably also prefer LvG to do some more of the groundwork that Pep would need to instil his style

ghagua

If I cared about our current results you would be right, unfortunately I don't. I just don't trust the rebuilding plans, I'm allowed to have an opinion right?
The problem is that I had doubts about the plans for almost 11 months now and while the results were decent, I was of the opinion that I was wrong to be worried, now I am more and more skeptical.
Don't worry, people were dragged kicking and screaming into the realization that Moyes had been sacked, until then people were saying the same thing about "spoilt fans". LvG will be sacked, and then everyone will say what a horrible job he was doing.

Moriarty

Surely Custis is as unreliable as they get?

Also, if that's the case we should make it apparent that fans don't approve of his football. It may sound a bit spoilt, but if we're bored and annoyed by the football we have every right to complain.
He used to be a right plank but he's got better over time. I know he's employed by the Devil himself but, as hacks go, he isn't the worst by a long chalk.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He used to be a right plank but he's got better over time. I know he's employed by the Devil himself but, as hacks go, he isn't the worst by a long chalk.
Well he has also written an article on dressing room unrest.... :devil:

Reynoldo

Yes please. A pissed off (at Chelsea) and fired-up Mourinho with a point to prove would be ideal. Still say we should have got him when Fergie packed it in.
We'd have one/two more league titles in the bag if we did so its hard to argue otherwise.

Cassidy

Yes please. A pissed off (at Chelsea) and fired-up Mourinho with a point to prove would be ideal. Still say we should have got him when Fergie packed it in.
Yeah and watch any young talent we have never emerge and achieve 0... no thanks.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Don't worry, people were dragged kicking and screaming into the realization that Moyes had been sacked, until then people were saying the same thing about "spoilt fans". LvG will be sacked, and then everyone will say what a horrible job he was doing.
I was against Moyes from the get go, but was willing to see what he could do. If he won the title in his first year, I'd back him 100%.
He took over the reigning champions. As the season wore on we got worse. We reached a point where he was so bad, that a banner was flown above our stadium. He was given a standing ovation, for some reason that I still can't comprehend. We were 6th at the time.
As time progressed, it got worse and we left when we were 7th. He was completely out of ideas and his only solution was to sell everybody and buy a new team. our team of champions apparently needed to be sold asap.

With LVG, the situation is different. He is not saying that anybody needs to be sold. He took over a team in 7th place. He got 4th last year. We are currently 4th (6 points behind leaders). We do a have a huge problem with injuries right now, though. When Moyes left, we had no chance of even finishing in top 5. In contrast, LVG has a chance of winning the league this year.

As for the style of football: that's a discussion for another day.

Brophs

The One and Only
Pep's a lazy shit, isn't he? A few years on, one off. The cnut's probably on flexi-time and all. Next thing you know he'll be out on certs with a bad back.

ghagua

I was against Moyes from the get go, but was willing to see what he could do. If he won the title in his first year, I'd back him 100%.
He took over the reigning champions. As the season wore on we got worse. We reached a point where he was so bad, that a banner was flown above our stadium. He was given a standing ovation, for some reason that I still can't comprehend. We were 6th at the time.
As time progressed, it got worse and we left when we were 7th. He was completely out of ideas and his only solution was to sell everybody and buy a new team. our team of champions apparently needed to be sold asap.

With LVG, the situation is different. He is not saying that anybody needs to be sold. He took over a team in 7th place. He got 4th last year. We are currently 4th (6 points behind leaders). We do a have a huge problem with injuries right now, though. When Moyes left, we had no chance of even finishing in top 5. In contrast, LVG has a chance of winning the league this year.

Do you actually read what you write? He has replaced nearly the whole squad and still cannot get performances out of the players he signed.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Surely Custis is as unreliable as they get?

Also, if that's the case we should make it apparent that fans don't approve of his football. It may sound a bit spoilt, but if we're bored and annoyed by the football we have every right to complain.
Well it sticks in my mind that he got neymar to united link first and it did turn out to be true, so you never know.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

He took the 4th best team and made them achieve the 4th place. He never took the 7th best roster.

JoaquinJoaquin

Yeah and watch any young talent we have never emerge and achieve 0... no thanks.
Would take us being back at the top of world football and zero of our young 'stars' we have the club make it (although he would still play Martial I'm sure of it), rather than us play youngsters and free fall which is the way we are going.

Cassidy

Would take us being back at the top of world football and zero of our young 'stars' we have the club make it (although he would still play Martial I'm sure of it), rather than us play youngsters and free fall which is the way we are going.
I'd rather we went for a manager who would get us back to playing entertaining football, whilst challenging and also ensuring some of the very talented youngsters we have coming through actually get a shot. We really do have a very very good crop of youngsters coming through right now and the wrong manager will feck it all up.

So would I take Mou over Van Gaal yes, but would I take him over any manager out there no

ravi2

IMO this is exactly what will happen. The writing is on the wall for LVG whether folks like it or not.

Eddy_JukeZ

How likely is it that Pep will be our manager this summer? It would mean the LVG and the club have mutually agreed to part ways this summer.

Just seems unlikely. I hope I'm wrong.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Pep's a lazy shit, isn't he? A few years on, one off. The cnut's probably on flexi-time and all. Next thing you know he'll be out on certs with a bad back.
:lol:

Jazz

If Pep isn't up to an overhaul, ask LVG to be a temporary director of football and let him get stuck in with all the 'hard' stuff, whilst Pep can concentrate on the first team and buying class players.
Of course, I wish it were so easy..... (sigh)

Jazz

How likely is it that Pep will be our manager this summer? It would mean the LVG and the club have mutually agreed to part ways this summer.

Just seems unlikely. I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think it's as unlikely as everyone else. LVG is a proud man - he won't want to be where he's not wanted. I'm pretty sure he would agree to leave. Mind you, if results don't improve he won't have a choice...

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
No-one reliable is reporting this. Pep is going to City. We should learn to deal with it, because United are about to settle into a prolonged period of being 'also-rans'. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but there appears to be two highly contrasting sides of the management coin. On one, we are being financially managed by geniuses, but on the other, football operations are being handled with embarrassing, and woeful ineptitude. Somebody needs to remember that success on the pitch, fuels success off it. And we are a fecking joke.

We need an rvn

as much as i'd love to see Louie go and Pep come in with Giggs going off to Swansea to gain experience....i think we're so setting ourselves up for another big Caf let down with Pep going to City and we'll be stuck with LVG on a new 4 year deal

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pep is going to City I think, which should be a massive worry for us.

VanGaalEra

Shit, I totally forgot about Chelsea. They'll also be in the market for a manager.

We can't afford to Feck this up, I'm team LVG but we must get Pep as our next manager and it would be disastrous if he went to City.

Jazz

Shit, I totally forgot about Chelsea. They'll also be in the market for a manager.

We can't afford to Feck this up, I'm team LVG but we must get Pep as our next manager and it would be disastrous if he went to City.
This.

VanGaalEra

City fans are confident:

Yes, I certainly don't think it's a formality that he's coming to City, but I desperately hope he does.

The signs are all promising, but he's a difficult person to predict.
Pep moving elsewhere would honestly be the biggest shock of any transfer outcome I've ever seen on here.

We can talk about the sources and the ITKs and the stuff like that and that's fine. But we've just essentially paid his agent several million pounds through the Girona deal and it would be astonishing if we've paid that out without any concrete guarantees.

Taking Pep Guardiola out of the equation, that deal makes absolutely no sense at all in a footballing sense, a financial or strategic sense. Why would we buy a 25 year old Spanish Second Division defender from Girona, who was their highest earner, then immediately loan him back to Girona? Coincidentally paying pretty much the same amount that they were in debt when Pere Guardiola became involved with them? Why would we buy who were listed in the media as their biggest transfer targets in the summer and then loan them to them on long term loans?

There's no benefit to City there, not even from somebody able to grasp at as few straws as I am.

That deal to me IS his contract signing. Without it I'd be as skeptical as everybody else, but with that in mind nothing adds up if Guardiola goes elsewhere. Even if we forget football altogether for a minute, presuming we aren't suddenly extremely interested in the fortunes of a lower division club in Spain somewhere and it was the payoff I think it to be, he'd be turning his back on his best mate after obviously telling his best mate to hand over several million quid to his brother's new venture. That doesn't make sense to me on a human level, you wouldn't screw one of your closest mates over like that for what is an insignificant sum in the scheme of football.

The events as they are, not just the Girona deal (though that is the nail for me in the coffin) but also the massive dragging out of the contract signing right up until he is allowed to officially negotiate with other clubs due to his contract ending length don't seem to add up unless he ends up here.

I just can't see past this one.

RedStarUnited

City were confident of Pogba this summer too...

Anyway the worry isnt just letting Pep go to City, its the fact that we will be left with no ideal candidate after LVG. You would think Sir Alex retired at a great time with all these great managers available - Jose, Ancelotti, Klopp and now Pep. But we could somehow miss out on all of them, unbelievable.

C'est Moi Cantona

Tbh i'd be very surprised if he goes to City, just doesn't sit right with the sort of manager he is, anyway we certainly won't find anything out next week (other than he's leaving Bayern) so the speculation will rumble on for a while yet.

Like another poster said all summer long I heard how Pogba going there was formality, they had a mega thread on it, but I never felt it was close at all, and I feel the same with Pep.

El Zoido

City know how to take care of business. We flounder then make the wrong decision anyway, it's a massive concern.

Jazz

The way I see it is that Woodward would definitely go for Pep - he wants only the best that is clear, and it would be great for the club's image which is important to the suits.
The problem I think with us not being aggressive in going after him is because we've got a division in our club between SAF and the Woody. SAF wants Giggs - and I believe he's pushing this as much as possible. This imo is the biggest hindrance. I haven't forgotten Peter Schmeichel coming out with the 'Pep wouldn't be good for United' line after there was a rumour of Woodward being in touch with Pep. The same Schmeichel that went on a programme and proclaimed that he wanted Giggs to be the next manager :rolleyes: - much to the merriment of his fellow co-commentators. In short, expect more pressure to be ramped up in the press pushing LVG out and Giggs in. Anything to thwart us going for a proper manager after LVG gets sacked/leaves.

Moonred

Pep goes to City, we get Jose despite his wretched year and trying to prove a point, arsene carries on, klopp carries on taking one bow after another and Chelsea sneakily get another cnut in simeone. Then we all prepare for an amaze balls season and proceed to get knocked out of Europe.