Manchester United v Brentford | Pre-season Friendly Wednesday July 28 20:00 BST

SirAnderson

So what doe we do at left back now that Shaw and Telles will miss the start of the season? Brandon Williams to hold the fort for the time being?

Perhaps we should give some preseason minutes to Alvaro Fernandez to see if he can cope. He's shown some promise in the reserves so it would be good to see how far off he is from the first team.
Folks say that Shaw won't be missing the start of the season, as he should be able to overcome his rib injury in time. Match fitness however...
We also don't know the extent of Telles injury and how long it will keep him sidelined.

Idxomer

So what doe we do at left back now that Shaw and Telles will miss the start of the season? Brandon Williams to hold the fort for the time being?

Perhaps we should give some preseason minutes to Alvaro Fernandez to see if he can cope. He's shown some promise in the reserves so it would be good to see how far off he is from the first team.
Is it confirmed that Shaw will miss the start of the season?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Tomorrow we'll see if Ole has what it takes to challenging the League.

Crustanoid

Jose has just won his first pre-season match 10-0, so anything less tonight will be "Ole Out, Bring Back Jose!"
He’s decided to start attacking? Was he playing against an under10 side or something?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Jose has just won his first pre-season match 10-0, so anything less tonight will be "Ole Out, Bring Back Jose!"
Don't be silly. Don't compare a serial winner with a failed ex-Cardiff manager.

pacifictheme

Bruno and vdb in training so may feature tonight.

Edit: appears bruno not in contention. Makes sense I guess.

Thisistheone

Maybe I’m worrying over nothing but are we behind our rivals in terms of being ready for the opening weekend? Feels like City and Liverpool have had majority their main players back for weeks and playing.

just got Bad memories from the slow start last season.

They played Montecatini in .... er, Serie D.
Aka a bunch of semi pros. Its like us playing a Northern Premier League team. They all do it purely to get back into the swing of things, it's barely even a fitness thing at that point.

lysglimt

Scout
To be quite honest - I am seriously worried we could be in for a really tough start. What's the point of a bunch of pre-season friendlies for our youngsters when we don't have matches to give our expected first-11 time to gain match-fitness

It would be much better if we squeezed in an extra game in the middle of next week - rather that this one. That way our best players will get 2 matches before the Leeds-game

Santos J

Maybe I’m worrying over nothing but are we behind our rivals in terms of being ready for the opening weekend? Feels like City and Liverpool have had majority their main players back for weeks and playing.

just got Bad memories from the slow start last season.
:confused:

City's squad yesterday: Steffen, Cancelo, Dias, Ake, Mendy, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Pozo, Palmer, Rogers, Knight. All kids on the bench.

Liverpool's in their last game: Kelleher, TAA, Konate, Matip, Tsimkas, Elliott, Milner, Keita, Salah, Ox, Mane. Jota & Origi on the bench.

3(?) starters for City and maybe the same amount for Liverpool, both have only played 1 friendly. Would hardly say they've had the majority of their main players back for weeks.

Dazzmondo

Sounds like it's going to be the same team as first 2 games and maybe VDB. Good chance Brentford will be the stronger team. I'd like to see Elanga, Shoretire, Levitt and Hannibal get more mins since they've outperformed our so-called squad players so far. I know Ole said Bruno won't play, anybody know if Martial is available for some mins?

Santos J

Sounds like it's going to be the same team as first 2 games and maybe VDB. Good chance Brentford will be the stronger team. I'd like to see Elanga, Shoretire, Levitt and Hannibal get more mins since they've outperformed our so-called squad players so far. I know Ole said Bruno won't play, anybody know if Martial is available for some mins?
Nah, not even training with the rest of the squad yet.

Thisistheone

City's squad yesterday: Steffen, Cancelo, Dias, Ake, Mendy, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Pozo, Palmer, Rogers, Knight. All kids on the bench.

Liverpool's in their last game: Kelleher, TAA, Konate, Matip, Tsimkas, Elliott, Milner, Keita, Salah, Ox, Mane. Jota & Origi on the bench.

3(?) starters for City and maybe the same amount for Liverpool, both have only played 1 friendly. Would hardly say they've had the majority of their main players back for weeks.
Fair enough. That’s not as bad as I thought then.
We just need to hit the ground running this season

lysglimt

Scout

Maybe 3 for Liverpool ? TAA, Konate, Matip, Milner, Salah and Mane are all possible starters - at least 4 of them will start

Santos J

Fair enough. That’s not as bad as I thought then.
We just need to hit the ground running this season
Aye would still be nice to have had a few more back for tonight with next season only being 2 and a half weeks away.

Maybe 3 for Liverpool ? TAA, Konate, Matip, Milner, Salah and Mane are all possible starters - at least 4 of them will start
Ah yeah, I didn't count Konate as thought Matip would start but then forgot to count Matip. :lol: 4 then, either way it's not most of their main players having been back for weeks.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Martial still not bakc in full training? Not heard any rumours of a move and I thought he started his recovery at the same time as Donny without hearing anything since.

SATA

Strange. I thought Pogba should be at least back in training too and in contention for today. Seems like he isn’t even back in Carrington. Or maybe he’s in Paris with his agent

Thisistheone

Aye would still be nice to have had a few more back for tonight with next season only being 2 and a half weeks away.
Seeing the squad for today, Pre season for the first team hasn’t started yet which seems odd with 2 and a bit weeks to go. But if all the other PL sides are in the same boat it’s ok.

But what if Leeds are say two or three games/weeks ahead of us in prep then that opening game could be a bad result.

Santos J

Seeing the squad for today, Pre season for the first team hasn’t started yet which seems odd with 2 and a bit weeks to go. But if all the other PL sides are in the same boat it’s ok.

But what if Leeds are say two or three games/weeks ahead of us in prep then that opening game could be a bad result.
Agreed, Leeds have their "first" (played 1 yesterday but 0 first teamers) friendly tonight which seems late to start but I'd imagine they'll have a few more first teamers playing than we will. Does all seem a bit delayed though, can see it being a sluggish few opening weeks for a lot of clubs.

Thisistheone

Agreed, Leeds have their "first" (played 1 yesterday but 0 first teamers) friendly tonight which seems late to start but I'd imagine they'll have a few more first teamers playing than we will. Does all seem a bit delayed though, can see it being a sluggish few opening weeks for a lot of clubs.
Yeah definitely. Guess the opening few we will rely on the likes of Mata, Lingard and James to step up.

HJ12

Folks say that Shaw won't be missing the start of the season, as he should be able to overcome his rib injury in time. Match fitness however...
We also don't know the extent of Telles injury and how long it will keep him sidelined.
Ah okay. Fingers crossed then. Completely forgot about Dalot as a back-up as well, so we should hopefully be okay.

Dazzmondo

I could see there being a lot of upsets early on. Most of the mid-lower Prem teams should be ahead of the big clubs in preparation due to the Euros and Copa America

ChaddyP

Slightly concerned about what the team against leads may look like. Fred, pogba, English contingent, cavani, Lindelof all not back yet. Martial and Bruno just started training. Telles out. Varane hasn't even started quar, going to be a very patchy squad for Leeds game.

roseguy64

Telles will be out until September according to the Man Utd app.

RedDevilRoshi

Don’t know if I’ve missed it somewhere but where is McTominay? Thought he was back?

Marwood

Slightly concerned about what the team against leads may look like. Fred, pogba, English contingent, cavani, Lindelof all not back yet. Martial and Bruno just started training. Telles out. Varane hasn't even started quar, going to be a very patchy squad for Leeds game.
I think it'll be a full squad but how fit they are might be questionable.

But then they've only had 3 or 4 weeks off. They can't be that out of shape. We've seen players out that long with injury and come straight back in looking fine.

I think it'll be fine.

roseguy64

Martial still not bakc in full training? Not heard any rumours of a move and I thought he started his recovery at the same time as Donny without hearing anything since.
Saw news that he should be back for next week maybe. He's currently training but not recovered enough to join the rest of the squad.

ChaddyP

I think it'll be a full squad but how fit they are might be questionable.

But then they've only had 3 or 4 weeks off. They can't be that out of shape. We've seen players out that long with injury and come straight back in looking fine.

I think it'll be fine.
yeh its fitness im worried about. We will be playing a high intensity game against leeds thats what worries me.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why isn't Pogba back? It's nearly been a month since France played Switzerland, whilst Memphis and Frenkie already made minutes for Barcelona ending their tournament one day before. Not even criticism, but I just wonder.
His agent times his injury’s perfectly.

Marwood

yeh its fitness im worried about. We will be playing a high intensity game against leeds thats what worries me.
I think its time a few of them got back involved now(Sancho, Pogba, McTominay) but overall, with summer tournaments in the tank, they should be alright.

For ine or two, like Shaw, I think its better they have some football over the summer. Some players really don't need two months without games. Reckon he'll start sharper than he normally does. Same might be true of the bigger guys like Maguire and Pogba.

Still I'm looking forward to seeing the young guys again tonight. Really hoping one of them can step up in a big way.