Manchester United v Manchester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
We need pace in attack and that's why Welbeck should get the nod. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the left and Valencia on the right, and Kagawa to come off the bench if required.

Fellaini and Toure should be a titanic tussle. The Derby in September came far too early for Fellaini and he wasn't fully match-fit. He's well in the groove now and I fancy him to nullify Toure.

I can also see us making hay down City's left-hand side. Clichy/Kolorov is a definite chink in City's armour and we should exploit it, not to mention Demichelis' lack of pace in the centre.

De Gea

Rafael - Ferdinand - Jones - Evra

Fellaini - Carrick

Welbeck - Mata - Kagawa

Rooney

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I suspect our line up will be something like this. 4-2-3-1 with Yaya further forward and one up top.

Hart; Clichy, Kompany, Lescott, Zabaleta; Milner, Fernandinho; Silva, Yaya, Nasri; Negredo

Scrumpet

There are no words
Front 6 will be Carrick, Fellaini, Valencia, Mata, Welbeck, Rooney. I would bet your life on it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea
Rafael Ferdinand Jones Evra
Carrick Fellaini
Valencia Mata Welbeck
Rooney
Probably what I would play. Would love to fit Kagawa in but We need some actual width, Welbeck will definitely play and I'm not sure how he is on the right, and a game against City is hardly the type you experiment on. Valencia providing width, strength, pace and defensive cover on the right, Welbeck on the left, then use Giggs and Kagawa as subs if things aren't working out. If Rio is still injured then obviously Carrick at the back with Fletcher in for him.

Feeling a tiny bit optimistic about this but, but with us being at Old Trafford you never know...

Gerald G

De Gea
Rafael--Ferdinand--Jones--Evra
Carrick--Fellaini
Valencia--Mata--Welbeck
Rooney

Big dilemma for me though. Kagawa or Valencia? If Kagawa then Valencia on the right. I wouldn't mind Januzaj on the right to be fair. I think he could do well vs Kolarov.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Let's do something different this time. It's not like we have a chance to win something worth of club's true ambition in the league.

Put some heart but also grow a football brain. Moyes needs to learn how to sting clubs like City. It's his matter of life here.

Get it right and good luck.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Please, please get something :(. I said this vs Liverpool and look what happened, but I think you can get something, as long as you are organised like today, and attacking like on Weds.

kundalini

Fellaini and Toure should be a titanic tussle. The Derby in September came far too early for Fellaini and he wasn't fully match-fit. He's well in the groove now and I fancy him to nullify Toure.
That's a crap excuse. Fellaini started 3 PL games for Everton and played in the League Cup prior to joining us, a well as starting for us in the CL and appearing as a sub against Palace. How many games does he need to get match fit ?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
That's a crap excuse. Fellaini started 3 PL games for Everton and played in the League Cup prior to joining us, a well as starting for us in the CL and appearing as a sub against Palace. How many games does he need to get match fit ?
He'd only just signed for us and Moyes/the coaches talked about how he was nowhere near up to speed fitness wise. He was struggling with training.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Ddg
Rafael-Jones-Rio-Evra
---Carrick-Fellaini---
Welbeck-Mata-Kagawa
-------Rooney------

Would be nice to see how that team does vs City. I am hoping we get a result but their midfield is Very strong so I am not feeling too optimistic about this match.

RustyS

If there was a game where you go with 3 CMs, then surely this is it. Fellaini and Carrick were completely dominated at the Emptihad so having someone else in there is a must IMO. It helps that RVP is injured because playing 3 CMs doesn't mean we have to drop him or Rooney. Giggs, Cleverley, Fletcher offer different things but I would go with Giggs in CM. Something like this:

DDG
Rafael - Jones - Smalling/Ferdinand - Evra
Giggs-Carrick-Fellaini
Mata- Rooney- Welbeck
Tough to drop Kagawa after today's performance but we need Welbeck's pace on the counter because inevitably they will have most of the possession.

Having said that I suspect Moyes will go for a 4-4-1-1 with Mata in the hole, Valencia and Welbeck on the wings, and Fellaini/Carrick in CM.

Northstand

I'm assuming from the line-up predictions that Vidic, Evans and Smailling are all unavailable? Wasn't Vidic banned for one game only?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
-------------De Gea--------------
Rafael---Smalling-Jones-----Evra
----------Carrick-Fellaini---------
--------------Giggs---------------
------Mata--------------Welbeck
----------------Rooney----------

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm assuming from the line-up predictions that Vidic, Evans and Smailling are all unavailable? Wasn't Vidic banned for one game only?
Vidic is banned for two games (West Ham and Manchester City).

Moyes will be looking into playing a similar team that beat Olympiakos where possible. If Smalling is fit, he'd play over Ferdinand - but we don't even know if Ferdinand will be fit yet. I am going to expect that Rio's absence at West Ham was more precautionary and he'll start against City. Obviously, the exclusion will be van Persie for sure, who would likely be replaced by Mata.. However, Moyes could decide to buff up the midfield instead with Fellaini or Fletcher. Could also leave out Valencia, but I think Moyes will go and pick him.

de Gea
Carrick Giggs
Valencia Mata Welbeck
Rooney

Or

de Gea
Carrick Fellaini Giggs
Valencia Rooney Welbeck

Negredo
Nasri Silva Navas
Fernandinho Toure
Kolorav Demichelis Kompany Zabaleta
Hart
I'm just not as interested in this game as I should be now. I personally don't really want us to end up in the Europa League, as I feel we could really mount a top four challenge much easier and go for a cup too if we don't have that distraction. I also do not want to see Liverpool win the title, at any cost. I'd probably take a draw as that should see City best Liverpool in the league, though I still fancy Chelsea to do a job and grind out the title.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Due to the absence of Aguero, I would consider playing Carrick at centre-half again. He was outstanding at Upton Park, and his ability to play out and start us off from the back was key. Negredo will be a test, he is physical, but not as strong as Carroll.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Is Kompany's suspension just one game? Is he back for this? I'd heard at the time his suspension could be longer after the dissent he showed to the decision, having a go at the 4th official, booting the wall in the tunnel on his way off, etc.

Havak

Pokemon master
Since when was two yellow cards a two game ban, re Vidic?
Vidic received his 4th and 5th Yellow Cards of the season against Liverpool, resulting in him being sent off. He now suffers the double whammy of missing a game due to the Red Card and missing a game due to five Yellow Cards total. Would have been better if he just got a straight red against the scouse..

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Vidic received his 4th and 5th Yellow Cards of the season against Liverpool, resulting in him being sent off. He now suffers the double whammy of missing a game due to the Red Card and missing a game due to five Yellow Cards total. Would have been better if he just got a straight red against the scouse..
Eh? You need about 10 yellow cards by this stage of the season to get a ban.

Edit: heres the rules
If a player accumulates five cautions between the opening day of the playing season and 31 December in the same season, he will be suspended automatically for one match.

If a player accumulates ten cautions between the opening day of the playing season and the second Sunday of April in the same season, he will be suspended automatically for two matches.

If a player accumulates fifteen cautions between the opening day of the playing season and the last day of the same season, he will be suspended automatically for three matches.

Havak

Pokemon master
Hmm, maybe the reason is that it's his second Red Card of the season?

An article I read stated the reason I posted above, though, but that obviously doesn't match the rules.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Is Kompany's suspension just one game? Is he back for this? I'd heard at the time his suspension could be longer after the dissent he showed to the decision, having a go at the 4th official, booting the wall in the tunnel on his way off, etc.
He wasn't charged for anything extra so he's back, unless an injury between now and then rules him out.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It looks like the midweek win in the CL as well as the victory yesterday might have turned things around just at the right time. A win against City is now looking realistic. Surely it will keep Moyes afloat and tighten the title race at the same time. Come on united!

binary bot
Hope Moyes goes for it.

Fellaini shouldn't start after what happened at the Etihad...not mobile enough for this type of game.

I have a feeling it'll be Welbeck/Mata/Valencia as everyone else had mentioned - yesterday's lineup suggested that too. I'd rather only one of Valencia/Welbeck though as they can restrict us quite a bit on the wings

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Welbeck in for Young, CB in for Fellaini and Evra for Buttner. Otherwise same team as yesterday and same way of playing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hmm, maybe the reason is that it's his second Red Card of the season?

An article I read stated the reason I posted above, though, but that obviously doesn't match the rules.
You get an extra match for a second red in a season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Manchester United's Patrice Evra: We have to win the Manchester Derby for the fans!

Just reading these quotes...how can you not love Mad Pat?

The fans don’t want to be hurt again against our neighbours. If you lose 3-0 to Liverpool, you think the fans will boo you. I think we deserved that – it would have been no surprise. But I was in shock because they were still singing until the last second. You have to make sure when people give you something, you have to give back. It’s payback...It was really tense in the dressing room before that match [With Olympiakos]. I said to all my team-mates, ‘Tonight, we have to play for the people we love – for the United family and not for the people who criticise us’. We had to give back after the Liverpool game. Losing 3-0 at home and the fans were still singing. When I got home I was really sad but at the same time I was happy because we have the best fans in the world. In my head, I was saying I couldn’t wait for the match against Olympiakos to give them back what they gave to us. A lot of people say you need the fans because when we do the job on the pitch, they’ll always be behind us. That’s why I want good times for all the Manchester United fans. I said before the Champions League game that I want the fans to be proud of us and we ought to say thanks to God to be able to play in the Man United jersey. Maybe people will say I’m too old school but when you play with spirit, you can do big things. I was so happy for the players, for the fans and for the new staff. I think a lot of people saw us going out against Olympiakos but when you play with that spirit, it’s going to be difficult for us NOT to win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.