Manchester United vs Arsenal (Sat 22nd July, 22:00 UK time)

Drainy

Were we any good?

What's to with penalties?
Good first half when we had more players with some rhythm, second half was poor as we changed the entire outfield side and it was mostly their first minutes of preseason and our wingers were well off the required standard.

Penalties were a prearranged practice in advance of Champions League football to get more experience doing them in front of crowds and will more pressure

stevoc

For the Americans. Trying to garner some excitement around soccer, and on the off chance the game was boring they announced before the game there would be a penalty shootout at the end regardless.
When I heard about it I thought it must have been an American idea.

justsomebloke

Is it crazy to think Mainoo is ready to be a squad player and get minutes? He has been very impressive. The first knock for an 18 year old is that they usually are either too small or not strong enough. This is not a problem for Mainoo.

Too bad about Amad, I really want him to impress and be a sub this year and occasional starter.
I think the exact same - he just plays like he fits right in. Was one if our better players yesterday, and vs Leeds. Physically ready yes, but what impressed me the most is his poise and calm. He just looks ready.

justsomebloke

Sancho in a false 9 was fantastic. But i thought he had a great pre-season last year as well. What I found insanely obvious is that we need a no.9 that is going to dominate on and off the ball. I don't think Sancho has the gas-tank to do that for a season and we basically have no out-and-out striker. I don't know if Højlund can be that guy right away but maybe ten hag is already looking into the future with that kind of signing.

I think Kane would make this side a real contender and I can see why that was ETHs first choice. Højlund has the promise but I don't think he can bang in a 25 goal season right now.

Whatever happens, I think a big thing is that we actually act quickly on a striker because the fitness and team-cohesion levels are already "off the charts" high. We look so fit. Whomever the striker option is going to be has to come in soon to match the intensity level we are already showing.
No he wasn't - he scored a great goal, but was otherwise crap. As he was vs Leeds, playing the same position, for which it seems evident so far he is not suited.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Arsenal fans and other oppo fans are very upset with Lisandro’s tackle on Saka :drool:

Cantonagotmehere

For the Americans. Trying to garner some excitement around soccer, and on the off chance the game was boring they announced before the game there would be a penalty shootout at the end regardless.
Have you seen the attendance numbers for United and other Prem teams in the US? For these meaningless games, they are huge. Lazy.

Glorio

A case for the 2nd half, but certainly not the 1st. We were all over the place 2nd half and we cant play like that when the league starts. I dont think we will though.
Agreed. We were woeful in the second half. Yes, Arsenal didn't create much, but we were terrible. Obviously we were largely playing with a team that hadn't played any football at all yet, but I expected more. A midfield of Casemiro, McTom and Eriksen makes sense in theory, but Casemiro and especially Eriksen looked off the pace, while Scott did his disappearing act, even as an 8.

Forson has shown nothing at all so far (don't know what happened with Emeran) even though it's worth remembering it's just two games. In fact, the whole forward line looked poor.

This was a friendly, it's worth remembering, but Rashford's defending on Trossard took me back to RR's dark ages

Cathy Ferguson

Agreed. We were woeful in the second half. Yes, Arsenal didn't create much, but we were terrible. Obviously we were largely playing with a team that hadn't played any football at all yet, but I expected more. A midfield of Casemiro, McTom and Eriksen makes sense in theory, but Casemiro and especially Eriksen looked off the pace, while Scott did his disappearing act, even as an 8.

Forson has shown nothing at all so far (don't know what happened with Emeran) even though it's worth remembering it's just two games. In fact, the whole forward line looked poor.

This was a friendly, it's worth remembering, but Rashford's defending on Trossard took me back to RR's dark ages
My main worry this season is that Casemiro's legs are gone. We saw indications of this in April and May.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Tell me you've never really watched Rice play without telling me you've never really watched him play
I’ve seen Rice play plenty and I rate him highly. He’s never been the same player as Xhaka though. For a start he’s a proper number 6, not a number 8. There’s currently zero evidence he can play as an 8.

The Hilton

Arsenal looked very much like they were playing a meaningless pre-season friendly on a warm day in New York in July - which to be fair, they were. United definitely seemed to be more up for it, despite playing a weaker team on paper in both halves.
This isn't accurate - Arsenal were definitely trying, particularly with their pressing, they just looked a bit disconnected and disorganised. I imagine they'll look better when the season starts, as the new players get more used to the system and their teammates.

What was really promising from our side is that we were able to cope with their pressing so comfortably, especially in the first half, and that's with Heaton in goal.

RuudTom83

That was a worthwhile pre-season game for both sides.

Martinez looked 100% recovered from his injury.

Still no real change in United’s style or play, maybe Onana will have an impact at the back.

But the midfield still looks a bit chaotic and the front 3 still play individually, and goes for goal as soon as they get anywhere near the box.

I would love to see a few more goals scored from cutbacks or just a few attempts at setting each other up.

The “go it alone approach” of Rashford, Antony, Garnacho looks great when it comes off, but they need to find another type of goal.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Still no real change in United’s style or play, maybe Onana will have an impact at the back.
We haven't seen a full-strength team play most of the match yet, we've seen bits and pieces but the team still lacks a striker. I'm encouraged by some of the plays we've put together in sporadic moments.

Real Name

Good first half when we had more players with some rhythm, second half was poor as we changed the entire outfield side and it was mostly their first minutes of preseason and our wingers were well off the required standard.

Penalties were a prearranged practice in advance of Champions League football to get more experience doing them in front of crowds and will more pressure
Thanks mate, sounds good. :)

Nick7

We haven't seen a full-strength team play most of the match yet, we've seen bits and pieces but the team still lacks a striker. I'm encouraged by some of the plays we've put together in sporadic moments.
Yeah I thought we were much improved on the ball in the first half. We held onto it a lot better and we’re generally really good in possession.

wolvored

We may struggle at first with Onana. With his perchance for coming further up the pitch than Maguire usually does, might have some teething troubles. I hope he plays against Wrexham and RM to give him minutes with a strong side

IrishRedDevil

We may struggle at first with Onana. With his perchance for coming further up the pitch than Maguire usually does, might have some teething troubles. I hope he plays against Wrexham and RM to give him minutes with a strong side
2 different squads are playing those games. Onana will play in the Madrid game.

Borninthe80ts

Am I being to positive by saying there were plus points in the second half?

Clearly we weren’t as fluid going forward but I thought we were fairly solid defensively with our second team against their best 11 for most of the game. In looking for development from last season I’m already seeing change. We fell apart in games last year when starters were missing but the tracking back was good and defensive positioning was cohesive generally.

Even though a lot of moves broke down due to poor touches or rushed play I still see the patterns they are trying to develop and that’s encouraging too. Players know each other more and the system.

Also as others have said there’s definitely a hunger that’s affected the majority of the squad. First to the ball more, less on our heals. They know they have to fight to stay at the club never mind make the first 11.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I’ve seen Rice play plenty and I rate him highly. He’s never been the same player as Xhaka though. For a start he’s a proper number 6, not a number 8. There’s currently zero evidence he can play as an 8.
Repeat what I said above. At West Ham they played a double pivot with Rice and Soucek. If one was holding, the other was getting forward. They rotated that through out the game where you could say they both played as a 6 and an 8. Xhaka didn't become a #8 until Partey came. Before that, he was "trying" to be a #6

Giggsy13

I thought Kai Havertz was a bit of a waste of space. Don't see what he brings to the Arsenal side.
Have to agree, he was pretty average for several years at Chelsea playing under a good manager in Tuchel. Perhaps a tactical change and new approach from Arteta might help but I just don’t see it working out for him in England.

Giggsy13

No he wasn't - he scored a great goal, but was otherwise crap. As he was vs Leeds, playing the same position, for which it seems evident so far he is not suited.
I thought he was very good in an unfamiliar role. Hopefully continues an upward trajectory, seems like he could use a boost after a difficult first 2 seasons.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I also have seen him plenty and I would have liked us to sign him, You say "There’s currently zero evidence he can play as an 8" - that maybe so but there is also zero evidence that he can't play as an 8 either, some players are perfectly capable of playing more than one position

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He ain't playing in San Diego, jumping on a plane flying 2K miles to play less that 24 hours isn't happening