Manchester United vs Arsenal (Sat 22nd July, 22:00 UK time)

crossy1686

career ending
Except fans in the US have a lot more events to choose from, especially in NYC of all places.
Hence the reason they're trying to make it more appealing by adding random penalties at the end. Football isn't fun for casual fans, it's mostly a low scoring chess game and you can miss the best parts by going to the bathroom or leaving the room for a second, there's lots of people in England, or even Europe who don't get it either. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm always impressed the the American's turn up in the numbers they do to these games, especially considering the ticket prices.

crossy1686

career ending
Keep digging the hole, Arteta suggested it and ETH decided it was a good idea as has been pointed out multiple times
:lol: I'm not digging any hole, this stuff only happens in America, United tour everywhere and we never have random penalties added to the end of the game for a laugh unless it's a draw.

moodyred

An Arsemania fan's take on their player performance.

Tommy had a strong game at left back. Not looking good for Tierney. Hope we get a good price for him.

Timber. Very good. Quick, good vision and tackles.

Rice did his job, helpt out were he could, good some good interceptions, good on the ball.

Havertz is still getting used to his new role. It's going to take time but I'm confident he'll prove every doubters wrong.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So Arteta decides how the games are arranged now? Okay...
Thats because they lost the actual match. So he went ahead to the officials and told them "Penalty!! we have penalty shootout. My ball my rule"

"But sir it isnt even your ball"

"Penalty! now"

Then they lose again.

crossy1686

career ending

Tommy had a strong game at left back. Not looking good for Tierney. Hope we get a good price for him.

Rice did his job, helpt out were he could, good some good interceptions, good on the ball.

Havertz is still getting used to his new role. It's going to take time but I'm confident he'll prove every doubters wrong.
Phase 1. Denial.

Nick7

I’ll give them the latter 3 as they’re new players getting used to the side, but Tomiyasu was pants.

mu4c_20le

:lol: has to be a RAWK parody

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Is it crazy to think Mainoo is ready to be a squad player and get minutes? He has been very impressive. The first knock for an 18 year old is that they usually are either too small or not strong enough. This is not a problem for Mainoo.

Too bad about Amad, I really want him to impress and be a sub this year and occasional starter.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
:lol: I'm not digging any hole, this stuff only happens in America, United tour everywhere and we never have random penalties added to the end of the game for a laugh unlness it's a draw.
And it'll start happening everywhere soon, when to 2 top level managers decide it's a good idea the rest will stay following

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal

you’re cherry picking there. Go to the Arsenal pre season thread for a better overview

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The key takeaway for me is we started pre-season a week later than Arsenal but still showed greater fitness and desire.

Bruno and Mount do look pretty compatible together, very mature performance from Mainoo and I like the combativeness and energy levels we're showing with Licha, Antony, Bruno, Mount, Wan-Bissaka and Casemiro.

The only negative for me was how easily Shaw was getting beaten by Saka, we need some improvement one-on-ones on the left side.

Bondi77

The key takeaway for me is we started pre-season a week later than Arsenal but still showed greater fitness and desire.

Bruno and Mount do look pretty compatible together, very mature performance from Mainoo and I like the combativeness and energy levels we're showing with Licha, Antony, Bruno, Mount, Wan-Bissaka and Casemiro.

The only negative for me was how easily Shaw was getting beaten by Saka, we need some improvement one-on-ones on the left side.
Luke Shaw will be the least of our problems once the games are taken seriously....and that can be taken and put in the bank.

Bondi77

This isn't a new observation for me, I did see the same problem when we played Arsenal away last season. Saka gave him a torrid time in that fixture also.
He is arguably the best winger in the Premier League so any FB will have his work cut out trying to keep him at bay this season and I would say all of them will struggle.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I’m not convinced that Rice can play that Xhaka role. He’s not a bad dribbler but not good enough generally outside of that in attack. Just looks very defensive to me. I don’t see it being as effective.
Tell me you've never really watched Rice play without telling me you've never really watched him play

CloneMC16

Same thing happened when we played Arsenal last season. Shaw gives Saka a tonne of respect and constantly backs off him. He also cooked Malacia in the home game as well. He is one of the best right wingers in football, so it's not surprising that he gets the better of our fullbacks. We need whoever is playing left wing to help defend against him.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

Sancho in a false 9 was fantastic. But i thought he had a great pre-season last year as well. What I found insanely obvious is that we need a no.9 that is going to dominate on and off the ball. I don't think Sancho has the gas-tank to do that for a season and we basically have no out-and-out striker. I don't know if Højlund can be that guy right away but maybe ten hag is already looking into the future with that kind of signing.

I think Kane would make this side a real contender and I can see why that was ETHs first choice. Højlund has the promise but I don't think he can bang in a 25 goal season right now.

Whatever happens, I think a big thing is that we actually act quickly on a striker because the fitness and team-cohesion levels are already "off the charts" high. We look so fit. Whomever the striker option is going to be has to come in soon to match the intensity level we are already showing.

Conor

I only saw the first half, but Arsenal looked fairly shite, with basically their first team out, Nketiah aside.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Looking good without playing a proper ST. We’re very solid at the back.