Manchester United vs AS Roma (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

penalty snot

Tbf he had some good run in the second half.But you made a point I don't think he's that far better than James like some thought.
It's worrying in the fact that you'd think he'd want to impress and show us what he's got. But he's visibly avoiding passes (receiving) and/or taking on players.

Instead it's been James that's played the better of the two.

Wouldn't be surprised if LvG plays James over him at the start of the season.

justboy68

Not worried about the second half, we just had anyone on the pitch wherever we could put them. No central midfielders at all once cleverley went off.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
People jump to quick conclusions based on two preseason games, positive and negative. Let Shaw settle in before you throw him under the bus, he didn't look confident so he didn't really do what he was brought in for yet.
Kagawa on the other hand is getting praised like the second coming of Jesus, yet we all know how things are gonna be once we're back in the EPL.

ThanksBoss26

Van Gaal will be learning a lot about the squad. The second half demonstrated the imbalance he's spoken about. There'll be arrivals and departures to come before the end of the window.

All in all a very good start to pre season so far.

PSV

Yes, Smalling was a colossus in defence.
Ashley Young can be a squad player I guess. Come on once in a while when there's no other option.
Lingard was unfit.
Sam Johnstone and Ben Amos are both realising just how awesome De Gea is. They lack concentration
Luke Shaw showed glimpses of what he's capable of. He needs a bit of time.
Reece James was fantastic.
Nani look demotivated. Kagawa was doing his best in his makeshift 'Herrera' role. He'll stay.
Basically, we played with no real midfield in the second half.

I'm happy really. A win is a win.
In all fairness Young played wing-back this game, I'm not sure I'd even be confident putting him there occasionally as a squad player. It's evident he's not used to defending, could potentially have been sent off in a proper match. One Beckham-esque ball into the box though when he had the chance. Hope to see him further up the pitch against Inter Milan. Other remarks are fair. Kagawa isn't a central midfielder player. Cynically I guess one could say we do really have too many 10's. I just hope van Gaal makes his assesment based on the players playing their natural position and don't rate half of them based on their make-shift positions.

nemanja15

Blackett and James really impressed me. Didn't look fazed at all.

Also thought both Evans and Smalling were commanding and performed excellently at the back.

AllezLesDiables

And here I was thinking that getting the ball struck onto your arm in a natural position from half a yard makes it a non-deliberate handball, which isn't a foul according to the laws of the game, but alright.
That not why it was called. Keane angled his arm to block the ball which is a stonewall penalty

RyRy11

Great first half, average second. Doesn't really surprise me though with the type of players that were out there in the second half. I'm slightly disappointed that we conceded two goals that didn't have to be but Amos and Keane are young so its all part of the learning curve I guess.

Bruno8

Its pre-season - all about getting fit

Great that we are winning trying a new formation. At least we now passing the ball very well. Our transitions are still bit off but you can see the players are trying hard. Onwards and upwards

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Maybe Cleverley was injured or tired, but it surely seemed as if Van Gaal wanted to give him the chance to prove himself, with the 90 minutes statement and the armband and what not. Not sure how well he took his chance, to be honest.

Ak keego

What are you's talking about Shaw will come good give the kid a bloody break he's played 90 minute's and people are destroying him

RetroStu

Not convinced with the performance even in the 1st half. The quality of Rooney & Mata helped us but we looked a bit clueless when it came to organization especially at the back.

I dont know what anyone can say to defend Cleverley anymore seriously not good enough. I also hope this marks the end for Young, picked up a yellow card throwing tackles left and right lost the ball several times.

Not going to go over every player's performance, the lads need more time to work with the system and improve. Dead weight needs to go.
I actually thought we played a lot better in the first half than many on here did, we had some lovely passing at times. I do agree about the defence, i don't like how open it was with this formation and its not like we have worldclass defenders to cover for how open we were.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I feel like I didn't really learn anything. Rooney and Mata are both capable of moments of brilliance; Cleverly and Young just don't belong, God bless them.

Guess I might have learned you shouldn't stage a sport reliant on endurance in sweltering heat. Almost thought we should've learned that already, certainly those in charge of organizing large sporting events, but what do I know...

The 4th Official

Some players just walk around as if it's a friendly game in the park. No passion, no fighting spirit at all. Nani springs to mind, but Kagawa for a midfielder isn't involved that much either, nor is he claiming it.

Despite this being a pre-season friendly they got to remember, or maybe it's too late for that already, that they need to show their worth.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Poor Luke Shaw is going to be tore a new one in the mains. Can't believe the way he's being judged after 90 minutes of pre-season football. Shameful. He was fantastic for soton last season. There is a reason City, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal wanted him.
Yet we were the only ones willing to spend 30 million on him

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Yes, Smalling was a colossus in defence.

Ashley Young can be a squad player I guess. Come on once in a while when there's no other option.
Lingard was unfit.
Sam Johnstone and Ben Amos are both realising just how awesome De Gea is. They lack concentration
Luke Shaw showed glimpses of what he's capable of. He needs a bit of time.
Reece James was fantastic.
Nani look demotivated. Kagawa was doing his best in his makeshift 'Herrera' role. He'll stay.
Basically, we played with no real midfield in the second half.

I'm happy really. A win is a win.
agree with most of this.

Hernandez looks completely done.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Are the new style match day threads going to be archived somewhere then?
They'll always be available. I'll be adding a list of previous results to the match day homepage.

RetroStu

What are you's talking about Shaw will come good give the kid a bloody break he's played 90 minute's and people are destroying him
I know what you mean but its always going to happen with that price tag and that wage (although i don't believe for a second that he's on 130kpw).

hbgreg

Smalling, Evans, Jones, Keane look like a good setup but it shows often that there needs to be experience at the back.

We need a CM next to Herrera, he needs someone to play along with.

Standout performers today were Rooney, Smalling and James IMO.

Kagawa didn't impress.

Cleverly and Nani don't look like they want to be here. Hopefully we get someone in for Valencia.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
I'd say LvG will be doing a lot of head scratching tonight after that match. What ever about the new comers (Shaw and Herrera) they're only in the door and have that a valid excuse but the likes of Young and Cleverley don't. They should have been pulling up trees there tonight trying to impress Louis but they barely pulled a weed or a pissy bed between them. Time for them to hit the road now.

Thea'sDad

Amos showed tonight why he is at best our 4th choice keeper (and there are one or two coming through the reserves that might put that under threat). That was a massive brain fart to concede the first goal.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Blackett was great, imo didn't set a foot wrong bar the freekick close to goal. Cleverley playd as the defensive midfielder and wasn't good no doubt.

Second Half it was clear we had alot of young and out of form players on besides Smalling, and that made it crumble a bit, plus it was a midfield of Kagawa and Lingard. Overall good 1st Half from us, thought it would have been harder :)

space

Happy with that, beating a decent Roma side, looked comfortable most of the time, Roma's best chance was in the first minute, after that we were fine. The main issues were Pjanic's freak but awesome goal shook the players a bit, and then the penalty was questionable, but we had chances too, we hung on and won while have no midfielders in the second half. Overall impressed and I though Smalling was excellent. Shaw had glimpses of what he can do and Blackett was decent too. We dealt with crosses well if a little scrappy and otherwise a few players didn't look 100% but that's fine in preseason.

We badly need to buy some midfielders and CB, attacking is fine but a backup Wing back would be nice

penalty snot

People jump to quick conclusions based on two preseason games, positive and negative. Let Shaw settle in before you throw him under the bus, he didn't look confident so he didn't really do what he was brought in for yet.
Kagawa on the other hand is getting praised like the second coming of Jesus, yet we all know how things are gonna be once we're back in the EPL.
Wow.

You say give a player time and not to throw him under the bus and then follow up with "but we know Kagawa will be poor even though he played well in pre season".

Firstly nobody is throwing him under the bus. Secondly, stop throwing Kagawa under the bus.

ChaddyP

decent first half... our problem lies with the second string team... van gaal also did all he could in the second half to bring the game to pens :lol:

disappointing that clev came off and never took his chance like he could have .... rooney looking class ... work to do..signings to be made

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Wow.

You say give a player time and not to throw him under the bus and then follow up with "but we know Kagawa will be poor even though he played well in pre season".

Firstly nobody is throwing him under the bus. Secondly, stop throwing Kagawa under the bus.
With Kagawa I have two years of him in a United shirt as evidence. With Shaw we have two preseason games.

Anustart89

Blackett and James really impressed me. Didn't look fazed at all.

Also thought both Evans and Smalling were commanding and performed excellently at the back.
Really? I thought Blackett was really poor in terms of concentration and positioning. Roma got behind him by simply lobbing the ball over him all the time, and they clearly noticed that he was the weak link by targeting him with those balls. Agree on Smalling, Evans and James though.

InTheHole

Really good result overall. I like how quickly we move the ball, just wish we looked after the ball a bit better. 10x better than the zombie passing of recent years.

Also, I thought Roma looked pretty decent, they pressed and closed down the space well and looked sharper overall. They were dangerous and looked 1 game ahead.

A picture is starting to form in LVG's head about who will stay and go. I think Zaha will go, maybe Nani too. Young has done enough to stay in the squad. A RB, CB and midfielder are imperative.

nazanto

I wasn't impressed last time on Michael Keane. And still not impress today. Do we have any decent CB beside him? Where is Thorpe?

nemanja15

Really? I thought Blackett was really poor in terms of concentration and positioning. Roma got behind him by simply lobbing the ball over him all the time, and they clearly noticed that he was the weak link by targeting him with those balls. Agree on Smalling, Evans and James though.
Occasionally caught out yes. Thought he dealt with the aerial bombardment quite well though. And he seldom gave the ball away, being very economical and sensible in his distribution.

Brightonian

Dunno where the criticism for Shaw is coming from. Didn't have space to do anything again but he did no less with his 45 than James did with his. The wing-back position simply isn't working at all, for anyone. Either the players are all doing it wrong or Van Gaal needs to give this formation a rethink, because at the moment we've got zero threat in wide positions. Fortunately our central forwards (Rooney, Mata and Welbeck at times, Herrera at times) were enough today.

I honestly think most of the good things we're doing would be happening just as much in a 4231, but the fullbacks would be more of a threat running from deep where they can pick up speed before encountering any defenders, and we'd have some proper wide players ahead of them providing another sort of threat.

Maybe things will change when Januzaj (our only reliably dangerous winger) is back.

FlapR

Enjoyed the game. Hope I didn't miss anyone out when PM'ing streams btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.