Manchester United vs Athletic Bilbao (Sun 6th August, 16:00 UK time)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland
Kick off time: 16:00 local, 16:00 UK
Channel: MUTV

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So is it kids against Lens and strong team for this one? The Aviva’s a sell out and none of the marketing gave any implication they would be putting out a team of kids. The club will be taking the piss if we see a similar team to what we saw against Wrexham.

sillwuka

I really do wonder what team he'll put out Vs Lens and then against this Bilbao side.

I'm going to the game on Saturday and there hasn't been any marketing for it so maybe it is the kids he puts out.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I really do wonder what team he'll put out Vs Lens and then against this Bilbao side.

I'm going to the game on Saturday and there hasn't been any marketing for it so maybe it is the kids he puts out.
I think he’ll go halve and halve to be honest. Halve the first team with kids on Saturday and the same Sunday.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
So is it kids against Lens and strong team for this one? The Aviva’s a sell out and none of the marketing gave any implication they would be putting out a team of kids. The club will be taking the piss if we see a similar team to what we saw against Wrexham.
Not sure how true but I heard a mix. Which seems fair. I think Wrexham was a special case as they're a few levels below.

Wouldn't be fair on the OT crowd to play the kids there either.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Won't be just kids, you can get a feel of it from last season
30th July 2022 - https://uk.soccerway.com/matches/20...etico-de-madrid/manchester-united-fc/3791106/
31st July 2022 - https://uk.soccerway.com/matches/20.../manchester-united-fc/rayo-vallecano/3798116/

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not sure how true but I heard a mix. Which seems fair. I think Wrexham was a special case as they're a few levels below.

Wouldn't be fair on the OT crowd to play the kids there either.
Yeah, I’d forgotten that we played two consecutive games last pre-season. A few first teamers played in each match. Guessing the same again here. Interesting choice of faces to put in the promotional image in the OP.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Yeah, I’d forgotten that we played two consecutive games last pre-season. A few first teamers played in each match. Guessing the same again here. Interesting choice of faces to put in the promotional image in the OP.
They've been pretty bad all pre-season. I don't think Malacia is even fit.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not sure why it would be the same as the Wrexham fixture - that was basically an exhibition game for their benefit.

As above, assume we will just see split first team squads.

maximus419

The concern of having two mixed teams over the two fixtures being, this is the last warm up games before the PL starts. How does ETH get a team in mind if he's not put out his strongest team to guage their form and fitness?

Seems a massive risk to me and so far we've had quite a disjointed pre season which is hardly helping build up relationships and confidence on the pitch. Hope they have a planned game behind closed doors game midweek ahead of Wolves match.

IrishRedDevil

Would it not make fecking sense to play our first team in a full game 1 week before the season starts???

Samid

They've been pretty bad all pre-season. I don't think Malacia is even fit.

Those are published at the same time as the fixtures, he was probably fit back then. These posters are used as official promotion in newsletters and on ticketmaster etc. so they have to make sure they aren't deliberately misleading. Generally they give a decent indication of what kind of team to expect.

The first one (Leeds) featured a bunch of players who weren't going to be on international duty in June. Wrexham featured some kids no one had seen before. I think the choices for Lens and Bilbao are fairly deliberate. Lens will be full close to full strength while Bilbao will mostly be the leftovers imo (but still a 10x stronger team than Wrexham).

Lyon poster they messed up. I think they expected the international players to be back for that one. They were back in training but not ready to play.

Reactions: Damien

RedOrange

The concern of having two mixed teams over the two fixtures being, this is the last warm up games before the PL starts. How does ETH get a team in mind if he's not put out his strongest team to guage their form and fitness?

Seems a massive risk to me and so far we've had quite a disjointed pre season which is hardly helping build up relationships and confidence on the pitch. Hope they have a planned game behind closed doors game midweek ahead of Wolves match.
Do you need a paper bag to breathe into? Skydiving without a reserve parachute is a massive risk. This is just team selection in a friendly.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I'll be fecking furious if kids are sent to Dublin. I've paid an absolute bomb for 3 tickets

prateik

Any chance someone like Hojlund plays the first half of both games? He should be fit enough to last 90 mins.. split it over 2 games.. a strong half with different squads...

Samid

I'll be fecking furious if kids are sent to Dublin. I've paid an absolute bomb for 3 tickets
At least you will be able to enjoy a cashless experience.

Cashless Stadium:
Please note, that Aviva Stadium is now cashless across all bars and food outlets for this and all future matches. This means there will be no cash accepted but all bank cards, Apple, Android and Google Pay are accepted. This change will mean faster service, shorter queue times, faster transaction time and means the staff won’t be handling cash.

McGrathsipan

At least you will be able to enjoy a cashless experience.

Cashless Stadium:
Please note, that Aviva Stadium is now cashless across all bars and food outlets for this and all future matches. This means there will be no cash accepted but all bank cards, Apple, Android and Google Pay are accepted. This change will mean faster service, shorter queue times, faster transaction time and means the staff won’t be handling cash.
Aviva can keep the overpriced shite they sell.
It really is garbage

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Heading on Sunday with the auld lad - be pretty shit if they put out the B team, its a sold out stadium. It's a Bank Holiday too so there will be a good buzz around town.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Didn't realise this was scheduled the day after Lens which I have tickets for, taking my girl to her first game and was expecting a near as damn it first team out.

Pointless exercise this so close to the opening game of the season, should be getting the first team ready together for it imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Stopped for lunch at a joint outside L’Escala. They had a set menu three course meal. Bread, olives and anchovies as nibbles while we were waiting for the rest of the food to arrive. Plate of huge grilled prawns to start, steak and chips (or grilled fish) with side salad for the main, crème Catalan or ice cream for dessert. Glass of Fanta for the kids and a full bottle of wine for the adults. €12.50/head.

I’ll shut up now…

McGrathsipan

Stopped for lunch at a joint outside L’Escala. They had a set menu three course meal. Bread, olives and anchovies as nibbles while we were waiting for the rest of the food to arrive. Plate of huge grilled prawns to start, steak and chips (or grilled fish) with side salad for the main, crème Catalan or ice cream for dessert. Glass of Fanta for the kids and a full bottle of wine for the adults. €12.50/head.

I’ll shut up now…
Be 200 euros for that here
Bastards

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Might have already been asked but any idea which game has the main XI?

Woziak

Think he’s going to go half and half in both games something like this ;

Saturday Game at OT

A Onana,
D Dalot, V Lindelof, J Evans A Fernandez
C Ericsen , S Mctominay, DVB, F Pellistri, R Hojlund,

Subs - D Henderson, W Kambwala,
M Jurado, T Collyer, O Forson, I Hansan,
J Huigall, C McCann, R Vitek, D W Mee,

Sunday Game in Ireland

T Heaton
AWB, R Varane, L Martinez, L Shaw
Casemeiro, M Mount, Bruno,
Antony, Sancho, Rashford

Subs -M Kovar, B Williams, H Maguire,
H Mejbri, S Shoretire, S Aljofree, N Emeran,
M Mejia, M Oyedele, A Martial, D Gore

RedDevilRoshi

I think the stronger main squad (basically the one ETH has planned for the Wolves opening fixture) will be for the Lens game. Get them to play together for a large amount of time (70-75 mins) at Old Trafford in prep for that Wolves match a week later on Monday. The more they play together as a team so they can develop partnerships & understanding of each others movements and positional sense for a large part of a game, the better. Plus an extra days rest without the need of having to travel yet again overseas to Dublin. Think the fringe players/reserves/youngsters etc will be in the Dublin game

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Didn't realise this was scheduled the day after Lens which I have tickets for, taking my girl to her first game and was expecting a near as damn it first team out.

Pointless exercise this so close to the opening game of the season, should be getting the first team ready together for it imo.
I'd expect a strong team at OT and mostly reserves (but not Academy like Wrexham) in Dublin - something like the Dortmund starting team which was essentially bench/squad players

like you say, surely want to be giving the potential starting line up for Wolves a run out in one of these games

Big day for your girl - hope it's a good one!

captaincantona

Surely he will want the stronger team to start the final preseason game before next week? He better - I have tickets. Been promising my son it will be a strong team since the lens game was announcedZ