Manchester United vs Athletic Bilbao (Sun 6th August, 16:00 UK time)

BarryWinks

1. Unai Simon
18. De Marcos
31. Paredes
3. Vivian
15. Lekue
25. R. de Galarreta
6. Vesga
8. O. Sancet
11. N. Williams
10. Muniain
9. I. Williams

This Athletic Bilbao's starting lineup.
Still have nightmares of Muniain and Iturraspe tearing us a new one in 2012(?). Shame he didn't live up to expectations, was almost nailed on to be Iniesta's replacement at the time.

Dve

Nice line-up, and eager to see how Pellistri, Gore and Fernandez will perform. Hope to see especially Emeran in the second half.

always_hoping

1. Unai Simon
18. De Marcos
31. Paredes
3. Vivian
15. Lekue
25. R. de Galarreta
6. Vesga
8. O. Sancet
11. N. Williams
10. Muniain
9. I. Williams

This Athletic Bilbao's starting lineup.
How far from full strength would that Bilbao team be?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Still have nightmares of Muniain and Iturraspe tearing us a new one in 2012(?). Shame he didn't live up to expectations, was almost nailed on to be Iniesta's replacement at the time.
Munianin has not progressed. He is still talented, but seems happy to be where he is. He is the club captain.

brian017

Yes I am sure not insulting the fans is more important to ETH than playing his best players - or players who need game time after being injured for a long time.
If Donny had any future at United or he was in ETH's plans I could understand it. But he hasn't and is not, I can't see him being there by the end of the month

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The club have well and truly fecked the Irish fan. I'm beyond furious sitting here with two devastated kids that want to see Casemiro and Rashford etc.
They even got excited when they heard someone say Fernández and it's fecking Alvaro

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I wonder if an Evans Lindelof pairing would be stronger, but I can see why Maguire gets a run out whatever the case. Hannibal on the bench surprises me: does ETH see a future for VDB?
Possibly shop window, like McGuire?
Could also be for Gore, Fernandez and Forson, season long loans to good footballing clubs?

Chairman Steve

I understand Dublin is as mindblowing expensive as London is which doesn’t surprise me that tickets were reportedly so much. I’d just go in with an open mind and enjoy the game. You might get a pretty good game even though on paper it isnt the best team. I know I’ve certainly seen some pre-season friendlies on TV with a very strong XI and being bored to tears.

Hoof the ball

Strong Elanga vibes, don’t see anything in him that suggests he’s going to be good enough for us.
Someone is going to say he looked good because he didn't lose the ball. Well, he didn't try anything with the ball to risk losing it. Almost every time he got the ball it was an immediate control and back pass.

The only rationale is that he's no lazy pressing off the ball. That's the only discernible quality I witnessed.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Did you ever consider popping your CV over to North Korea @Rood ? More impressive commitment to shutting down legit issues.
It's a decent team - Im looking forward to see Gore, Fernandez, Pellistri and Forson in particular

Big slap in the face for Harry though with the armband given to Heaton - ETH trying to push him out the door

Strong Bilbao team too

I hope the Irish Reds can enjoy the day out !

Hoof the ball

The club have well and truly fecked the Irish fan. I'm beyond furious sitting here with two devastated kids that want to see Casemiro and Rashford etc.
They even got excited when they heard someone say Fernández and it's fecking Alvaro
"Dad dad! I want a Fernandes!"
"We've got a Fernandez at the Aviva already."

Fernandez at the Aviva:

:nervous:

saik

Forson is only playing cause Amad got injured. I don't think he has any preferential treatment here as some would like to claim. Ten Hag wants a left footed winger on the right obviously. Pellistri gonna play on the left like the last couple of times.

brian017

These interviews with kids outside the stadium are just awkward. :lol:

Poor Billy Moriarty

city-puma

Forson starting ahead of Emeran or Hannibal? I just don`t get it.
Forson has been converted to inverted right winger. He has been in the frame of the first team squad based on this preseason. It’s not surprising to see him eventually included in the squad either from start or some point later.
Hannibal probably has been decided his best position is to play deep role but maybe ETH thinks him not ready.

luckypepper

These interviews with kids outside the stadium are just awkward. :lol:
Exactly. One kid said he is excited to see Rashford play. Yesterday they asked another kid who does he want to see as striker and he said Kane. *awkward*

AlexUTD

Forson has been converted to inverted right winger. He has been in the frame of the first team squad based on this preseason. It’s not surprising to see him eventually included in the squad either from start or some point later.
Hannibal probably has been decided his best position is to play deep role but maybe ETH thinks him not ready.
Forson have been the worst winger/attacker this pre season by a mile.

red_devil29

Why are some of you so surprised that Hannibal isn't good enough? He doesn't meet the physical requirements needed to excel in top-level football. Especially his lower body is very thin, and it doesn't seem to have improved over the past few years. If a player has a clear weakness, they are also judged based on their ability to improve it. I understand that there can be exceptions, but I see Hannibal as an average player technically, which cannot compensate for his physical shortcomings.

Furthermore, he struggled to get playing time on the Tunisian national team, where players from much weaker leagues got more playing time than he did.

Is there something I have missed about Hannibal that has surprised many people here?"

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He only played the last 20 minutes yesterday. Lot of people judging his performance then but it was obvious he was going to be starting today to get close to 90 mins in his system
Id be surprised if he played 90 since he had 20 yesterday - expect Hugill to come on upfront

Ace of Spades

Forson starting ahead of Emeran or Hannibal? I just don`t get it.
Amad got injures, so we probably wanted a left footed player on RW and ETH went with Forson. Don't think Hannibal is an option there, and between Emeran and Forson, he went with Forson.

Not a big issue imo. If Amad was available, that would be him starting.

city-puma

Someone is going to say he looked good because he didn't lose the ball. Well, he didn't try anything with the ball to risk losing it. Almost every time he got the ball it was an immediate control and back pass.

The only rationale is that he's no lazy pressing off the ball. That's the only discernible quality I witnessed.
Elanga is a very talented player but his main issue is that he completely lost himself when converted to inverted right winger, then CF, then even on left wing. He hardly can get himself into the game and find it difficult to keep ball. When a youngster is thrown to adult game, it is a remarkable trait if he can keep possession and get involved to the game. Never underestimate it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Williams and Fred whereabouts are a mystery - both negotiating exits I assume

kps88

Same thing happened with the Wrexham game. And, from what I read, those tickets weren't cheap. Even got SAF to do a promotional video for the game.

Chumpsbechumps

The absolute worst thing about this was that the game today was announced and tickets sold before the Lens fixture was made. The marketing was about how it was after the 4 USA game tour and last game before the EPL. Mentioned the big name players and any reasonable fan would think "should get to see all the big players in last game".

The club well and truly shafted the fans. I am glad I decided not to go and instead get tickets for the wolves game next week.