Manchester United vs Atletico Madrid | Build-up Thread | Return leg: March 15

Raw

And city still manage to get an easy draw even when it’s re done. The desperation for city to finally win the CL is mad!
In fairness the way the draw is, they were very likely to get an easy team anyway. Their strongest possibilities were Atletico and Inter, with the other 4 possibilities being even easier draws.

Chelsea getting Lille twice while avoiding Real and Bayern though, madness.

Inter Yer Nan

I watch Atletico a lot (they are my favorite Spanish team) and they’ve actually been pants for about the last year. Absolutely bossed it first half of last season then fell apart and almost blew the league with something like a 12 point plus game in hand advantage. This season they are basically the same side as the second half of the season.

Suarez has been well below par this season too. Defensively they aren’t as good as they used to be either. They definitely miss some of those old leaders like Godin and in midfield, Gabi. They’ll almost certainly go three center backs, Felipe being one, due to his aerial presence. Midfield, Koke, Lemar DePaul, will almost certainly have more of the ball than ours, even though they aren’t a possession side.

It will be tough but we should be favorites.

georgipep

Watched the highlights of their last UCL group game. I suggest everyone take a look if not done yet. They are a systematically setup of fraud, cheating, without any sportsmanship.
Totally cnut!
Like they've always been since Simeone took over.

If there ever was a club's playing style to embody their manager's style 100%....

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Atletico is happy as hell they got us instead of Bayern.
Well yeah :lol: - just as United will be happier to play Atletico rather than PSG!

The only losers of this situation are PSG and Real Madrid, and it's excellent.

SAFMUTD

Well yeah :lol: - just as United will be happier to play Atletico rather than PSG!

The only losers of this situation are PSG and Real Madrid, and it's excellent.
Totally agree.

I was talking with my friends, who are mostly Madrid fans and they were saying "why are you complaining, PSG is not even playing well. It's a dysfunctional team and you got to beat everyone if you want to win the tournament" etc it was beautiful when they announced the draw will be retaken and almost magic when they happened to draw PSG instead :lol:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Watched the highlights of their last UCL group game. I suggest everyone take a look if not done yet. They are a systematically setup of fraud, cheating, without any sportsmanship.
Totally cnut!
They always do that.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
I think Atletico are slighty favorites, but reality is that both Atletico and United are having very difficult seasons.

Atletico needs new blood.
Their team is aging, has few young talent, lacks back-up specially in attack and Simeone's tactics are insufficient to compete in Europe and now against Madrid in la Liga. They managed to become Spanish champions last season although with a lot of difficulties towards the 2nd half of last season. Those troubles, like the vulnerability in their defense, are still ongoing and I don't think Simeone will be able to correct them in the middle of this season. Unless he changes his dull 4-4-2 or finds a pearl within his academy that can replace Felipe and Giménez I think their best result will be to finish 2nd or 3rd place in La Liga. Maybe they are able to beat United, but won't compete in Europe against Chelsea or Bayern.

As for United, Ragnick seems like a capable manager, but he doesn't give me the impression to become an instant hit like Tuchel did with Chelsea. He was semi-retired and has no PL experience.
First, he should be aware of United's fragility in defense, which will take a long term to repair. Secondly, he still needs to implement his game tactics under this squad. Third, he should prioritize game quality over results in the short term.
Fortunately for him, maybe Atletico are the perfect example to put into practice his development with this team. Surely they are better option than PSG.
Lastly, Cristiano is Atletico's worst nightmare.

In the end, I don't think any of these teams will land in the SF. Both are weak, mentally, and underdeveloped.

Hughie77

Firstly how can you feck up an easy draw? Or was is deliberately done hoping no-one would see it! It was bloody obvious it was a cock up. Chelsea gey the same draw City as always get a favourable draw, the scum get the same.
Athletico OK, no easy draw anyway unless Rangnick gets them fireing by Feb. I didn't want PSG again, and the bloody bollocks of Messi v Ronny hype. Let's just see how these ties go with no away goal rule .

PoTMS

It was so obvious that if we didn't get PSG, it would be Atletico. Meh, they've been awful this season but then again so have we.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I haven’t followed Atletico too closely as of late but the feeling I get from the draw is that we're clear underdogs.

Plenty of time still to improve, though, so I'm hopeful.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Considering Ronaldo is the father of Atlético Madrid I fully expect him to relish this game.

United will go through.

I then need you all to channel your energy’s into a Spirit Bomb so that we can eliminate City.

Thank you

SAFMUTD

I haven’t followed Atletico too closely as of late but the feeling I get from the draw is that we're clear underdogs.

Plenty of time still to improve, though, so I'm hopeful.
Not so clear, according to the SPI it's Atletico 60%-40% ManUtd.

Of course a lot of things can change in two months. But I don't see us as clear underdogs.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The shithousery is going to be amazing and we'll play our part in that too.

Redlyn

Real only crying because they got a tough draw. If they would have got another easy draw we wouldn't have heard anything from them.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
What happened. I am not following much this season but didn't we got PSG?
PSG begged us and UEFA to redo the draw. Apparently still having Rashford nightmares. UEFA obliged.

PoTMS

Who would've thought 10 years ago, we'd be underdogs against Atletico Madrid?

Tomuś

Not so clear, according to the SPI it's Atletico 60%-40% ManUtd.

Of course a lot of things can change in two months. But I don't see us as clear underdogs.
We're seen as underdogs against fecking Brentford atm :lol:

Tomuś

Yes, we're playing shit. But I expect us to perform way better by mid february when we face Atletico. Hopefully...:nervous:
My point precisely. If we were to play them tomorrow I'd see us as huge underdogs. May change.

poleglass red

I'm happy enough with this draw. Any game at this point will be tough, I think we have enough to beat them

SAFMUTD

My point precisely. If we were to play them tomorrow I'd see us as huge underdogs. May change.
Agree, the positive thing is that they're favourites not because they're great but because we're shit. So its easier to fix it, it's not like we're facing Bayern, also with the away goal rule removed I feel more confident.

God damn Simeone always seemed to play for that away goal rule. Go for the 0-0 at home (for some reason they always started at home in my memory) and then go away to get an ugly goal and begin with the shithousery.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Real wants to sue the Uefa for redrawing

Dansk

It's a better draw than PSG, Bayern, and probably Inter as well (though that's debatable). Can't complain too much about it. We have a few months to whip the team into shape under Ralf. If you go by the caliber of players, we should certainly have the upper hand, but it's anyone's guess if we're actually playing well by that point. Atletico aren't having a very good season and are not quite as fearsome in general as they were 5-6 years ago. Won't be easy, but it feels entirely doable, unlike PSG and especially Bayern.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It's a better draw than PSG, Bayern, and probably Inter as well (though that's debatable). Can't complain too much about it. We have a few months to whip the team into shape under Ralf. If you go by the caliber of players, we should certainly have the upper hand, but it's anyone's guess if we're actually playing well by that point. Atletico aren't having a very good season and are not quite as fearsome in general as they were 5-6 years ago. Won't be easy, but it feels entirely doable, unlike PSG and especially Bayern.
We couldn’t have drawn Bayern. We could have drawn Salzburg, Benfica and Sporting though. We’ve been unlucky here.

Cloud7

These are the matches that European football is all about. Bring it on :devil: I much rather watch us against another powerhouse team than Lille or Salzburg.