Manchester United vs Atletico Madrid | Build-up Thread | Return leg: March 15

Jibbs

The charm of Champions League used be away goal rule. UEFA ruining the competition for greed.

IrishRedDevil

Prefer Atletico than PSG.

With Atletico, we will know what we will get, even now 2 months before the game, we can plan ahead. Tactics will come into play.

With PSG, they might be more open at the back, but they are an unknown and could expose us with superstar moments that you can’t plan for.

I think Ralf will prefer Atletico for that reason. It’ll be a good test for his system and the teams fitness.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Going to be tough but i prefer AM to PSG. You just dont know what PSG will play like.

Red Royal

This actually will be really interesting..I haven't followed Atletico this season, so would like to know how Griezman is fitting in, see what the fuss is about Trippier, has Suarez still got it? Also De Gea vs Oblak will be a head to head of AMs past and present.
So much more interesting then what otherwise be the Messi vs Ronaldo hype.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid beat Athletico comfortably 2-0 yesterday. They are nowhere as strong as they used to be in 2013-2018. Right now they are pretty shit.
United has been poor under Ole, so the team that goes through will be the one improving the most the next two months.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I really wanted Benfica. :lol:

But it always excites me to draw PSG or City, the media always hypes them up as big clubs with a better team on paper than us and they end up folding like wet paper against us. :)

ManRed

Great draw, I want us to play some top teams as thats the whole charm of being in UCL. Beating Madrid will also be a great boost for the team.

PoTMS

I fecking hate playing Spanish sides. Athletic, Sevilla, Villarreal, Valencia, Barcelona and Madrid have all beaten us in recent years.

Seij

I fecking hate playing Spanish sides. Athletic, Sevilla, Villarreal, Valencia, Barcelona and Madrid have all beaten us in recent years.
This time though we've got Mr. Champions League who also happened to traumatize AT many times in the past.

Cloud7

The charm of Champions League used be away goal rule. UEFA ruining the competition for greed.
The charm of Champions League is playing big European teams you don't normally play. The away goal rule is a stupid rule that rewards defensive football and parking the bus.

NewYorkRed

Ronaldo owns them. We will be, rightfully, underdogs going into the tie but we should go into it with no fear. We easily have the talent to beat them, and plenty of time to improve.

P.S: the away goals role was awful, so glad it’s done with.

lawliet354

Completely forgot about this, didn't he won EL with Atleti as well before joining us?

Yeah we have terrible record against Spanish side, on the other hand we do quite well against Italian team apart from that mid 2000s Milan

Last edited:

SonyaCross493

Ronny hat-trick he loves playing against this lot. Easy win.

Athleti are not the team they once was. Teams know how to play against Simeone now he's too predictable. The shithousery act has got old. They can't live with the Premier League intensity.

0-0 or 1-0 to United away from home and we will spank them at Old Trafford. Quarter-Finals here we come baby! Building that confidence with Rangnick improving all the time. Once you get into the Quarter-Finals anything can happen.

PSG will get spanked by Madrid and tactical genius Ancelotti. So that's one potential banana skin in the Quarter-Finals down.

Last edited:

Jackal981

Cost us against Monaco in 1998, Leverkusen in 2002, Bayern in 2010. Also cost us against Galatasaray in 1993/94 season. Helped us against PSG in 2019. So you're definitely right.
That Bayern game was seared to my mind. We also lost prime Rooney that night. He was never the same after that injury

city-puma

That Bayern game was seared to my mind. We also lost prime Rooney that night. He was never the same after that injury
I often wonder if that game shaped LVG’s view on Rafael so that he bought the replacement when in charge of us by saying the defender firstly needs to defend well?

Jibbs

The charm of Champions League is playing big European teams you don't normally play. The away goal rule is a stupid rule that rewards defensive football and parking the bus.
Not defensive football, it rewards tactics.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Good draw from an entertainment perspective. A team we haven't played in a while, who are normally very good. It will be a tough game. Really glad we didn't end up with PSG once again, we have played them enough in recent years. Would have been nice to have one of the weaker teams, but no luck this time round.

Alek M

Da manic one
Man shithousery. The shit they pulled against Porto.
People keep saying Ronaldo is mr cl, beat Atletico etc.

We need to strap up and win this. We got it.

Mr Smith

Going to be tough but i prefer AM to PSG. You just dont know what PSG will play like.
It will be tough but not in the way you think. The current Atletico are miles away from the early Simeone teams; they're exciting going forward but don't have a clear plan; they often try to play like the old Atleti but don't have the leaders in defence that they used to and often fall apart. Expect these games to be far more chaotic than they would have been a few years ago.

Highfather_24

They are a counter team right? I'm not looking forward to that considering we have a team playing a super high line. We saw what counter attacking tactics did to Leipzig, it was brutal.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo owns them. We will be, rightfully, underdogs going into the tie but we should go into it with no fear. We easily have the talent to beat them, and plenty of time to improve.

P.S: the away goals role was awful, so glad it’s done with.
We are NOT underdogs, we are clear favorites to make the next round with every bookie.

BorisManUtd

It was hard to swallow, we had 1-0 lead in Munich and lost, had 3-0 at OT.. Yeah, Rooney was our best player after Ronaldo left and that injury was a big blow.

Canagel

Just noticed that João Felix isn't getting much game time there. Such a waste of a talent, I reckon he'll be off soon surely and they'll want to recoup some of that money. We were actually linked with him a couple of days ago.
We should offer them Bruno in a swap deal with Felix coming the other way. we'll be a much better team immediately.

That guy is begging to be unleashed but is stuck playing for Satan. It's a pity.