Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 66 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Xaviesta

Supports
    Barcelona
    I;d snatch a draw right now considering our injuries, but can now possibly see United winning this.
    I think you're being pessimistic here. Chelsea still have the firepower against a United defense which is still pretty suspect. Chelsea 2-1 for me.

detinUnaM

I am liking the idea of fellaini at the tip of the diamond. But I would rather see Fellaini as the second striker beside Falcao and use Ander Herrera at the tip of the diamond. That front three will press high and fast and that will help our defense a lot. Behind them we can play ADM Blind and Valencia.

That will be a team with a lot of mobility and even physical presence.

-----------De Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    -------------Blind
    -----Valencia Di Maria
    ------------Herrera
    ------Fellaini Falcao

ADM7

I am liking the idea of fellaini at the tip of the diamond. But I would rather see Fellaini as the second striker beside Falcao and use Ander Herrera at the tip of the diamond. That front three will press high and fast and that will help our defense a lot. Behind them we can play ADM Blind and Valencia.

-----------De Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    -------------Blind
    -----Valencia Di Maria
    ------------Herrera
    ------Fellaini Falcao
    ---------------De Gea
    Rafael----Jones----Rojo----Shaw
    -----------------Blind
    -----Valencia--Hererra--Di Maria
    -----------Fellaini
    --------------Falcao

That is the exact team I would go for but with Fellaini just off Falcao, I think Fellaini will cause Havoc up top with the balls Di Maria would play and that in turn will give Falcao space.

As you said i think that's probably the most physical team we can play which will be important against Chelsea and City imo.

You could possibly replace Hererra with Carrick which would probably sure things up some what but he's hardly played any football.

NJM78

--------De Gea

Jones Smalling Rojo Shaw

---Carrick Blind Fellaini

--Januzaj Falcao Di Maria

I'd say there is no chance of this team but I feel it would stifle Chelsea and have the aerial strength at set pieces to match them. Jones is defensively more reliable than Rafael also.
    This formation allows us to play on the break even though we are the home side. Chelsea do concede so with a masterclass performance by De Gea and some luck (which I think we deserve this season) I'd say we could possibly nick it.

I would take a draw right now though.

Last edited:

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Anyway, players should take this gane as an opportunity to show that they're top players, step up and give everything. Chelsea found it difficult recently in some away games, the same with Swansea for 60 minutes, so if we can be up for the fight then we have a chance. During a game a collection of individuals can compete with a strong team.

I really think that it will all depend on LVG's approch and tactic for this game. He's got weapon in his hands to hurt Chelsea, but will have to make some changes in order to win this game

itso 7

-----------De Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    -------------Blind
    -----Valencia Di Maria
    ------------Herrera
    ------Fellaini Falcao
    For this match only I would agree with this and Fellaini upfront is difficult for anyone to deal with.

BlueCelery

Supports
    Chelsea
    Terry and Cahill would eat Fellaini alive. Fellaini's biggest strength is his aerial ability but those two are easily the best pair in the PL in that particular aspect. He's never played particularly well against Chelsea for this very reason alone. You're simply not going to bully those two, Terry especially. Mourinho would be delighted if LVG played him there.

I think your team will be pretty straightforward to be honest.

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Blind
    Valencia Mata Di Maria
    Falcao
    I seriously doubt he would have changed the system against WBA if he wasn't going to play a similar team against Chelsea. Valencia for Januzaj to help Rafael deal with Hazard.

Costa will be missed but Schurrle should be a decent replacement with Remy out. He's been described as a False 9 but he has the movements of a traditional centre forward. I think too much is being made of the absence of those two. We're still a massive threat on set pieces and the core of our team Fabregas, Matic, Hazard and Oscar remains intact. Those 4 will fashion chances against any defense, either through individual skill, vision or pressing ability.

Last edited:

Hemil

Supports
    Chelsea
    Terry and Cahill would eat Fellaini alive. Fellaini's biggest strength is his aerial ability but those two are easily the best pair in the PL in that particular aspect. He's never played particularly well against Chelsea for this very reason alone. You're simply not going to bully those two, Terry especially. Mourinho would be delighted if LVG played him there.

I think your team will be pretty straightforward to be honest.

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Blind
    Valencia Mata Di Maria
    Falcao
    I seriously doubt he would have changed the system against WBA if he wasn't going to play a similar team against Chelsea. Valencia for Januzaj to help Rafael deal with Hazard.
    I think that formation will be the best against us but Mata will leave a big hole in the centre. He will not track back and will let Fab,Matic and Ramires dominate the midfield battle.

BlueCelery

Supports
    Chelsea
    I think that formation will be the best against us but Mata will leave a big hole in the centre. He will not track back and will let Fab,Matic and Ramires dominate the midfield battle.
    If Mata isn't motivated up against his former club and Mourinho in particular you might as well sell him now. I expect him to be your biggest threat.

Hemil

Supports
    Chelsea
    If Mata isn't motivated up against his former club and Mourinho in particular you might as well sell him now. I expect him to be your biggest threat.
    I am on your side mate.

TheScholes

i think the formation that would help us the most would be this

---------de gea

rafael---jones--rojo--shaw

----------blind
    -----herrera---fellaini

----januzaj---di maria
    ----------falcao

remy got injured and costa mostly won't play the match
    drogba isn't the drogba he used to be anymore , so they don't have the strike force they had before
    we can murder them if we could hold fabregas and hazard

i think van gaal might play 4411 with van persie behind falcao like he tried in west brom game as it seemed more comfortable for both of them
    we mustn't play defensively and we should attack fiercely to take the lead and INCREASE it
    if we take the lead and then fall back to defend we will get demolished
    we must make them busier with defending than even thinking of attacking and the moment they get the ball we must press on them like we never did before

the next two games will be the 2 defining ones in our whole season
    winning at least one of them will give us a confidence boost we couldn't even think off

GGMU

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
    United have won only 6 of their last 22 games EPL games agaisnt Chelsea. How much does beating these guys matter? Chelsea in general have a winning record agaisnt us in the EPL era but here we are with 5 league titles to their 3 in the period this stat refers to. And these are dominant numbers by Chelsea.

Anton Trencher

Pessimistic about Sunday, to be honest. May be brighter times ahead though, but it'll take a year or two (if we haven't run out of money by then).

Raw

United have won only 6 of their last 22 games EPL games agaisnt Chelsea.
    Chelsea 3-1 Man United
    Man Utd 0-0 Chelsea
    Man Utd 0-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 2-3 Man United
    Man Utd 3-1 Chelsea
    Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea

Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd

Man Utd 3-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd
    Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 2-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 0-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 3-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-0 Chelsea
    Man Utd 1-3 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd

Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea

Man Utd wins: 7
    Chelsea wins: 10
    Draws: 5

Man United goals: 24
    Chelsea goals: 27

Had to check for myself because I didn't believe it at first. It's actually 7 wins in 22, which is still pretty abysmal.

berbasloth4

i would like to see -
    ----------------------De Gea-------------------
    -Rafael-----Jones------------Smalling--Rojo-
    -------------Blind----------Carrick------------
    -Valencia----------Fellaini-----------Di Maria-
    --------------------Falcao----------------------

I think we need experience and shaws defending so far this season has been poor..
    Valencia helps with the threat of hazard and then carrick and fellaini adds to the physical side.

RVP has been poor this season and his lack of movement will be too easy for terry. Falcao is a pest kind of tevez like and terry wont like it.. Having Di Maria up close to ivanovic stops ivanovic getting foreward also

Exxxcalibur

Supports
    Chelsea
    Mourinho just confirmed Costa has "a chance" and "is training" with the team.

Remy is definitely out.

salford_

Chelsea 3-1 Man United
    Man Utd 0-0 Chelsea
    Man Utd 0-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 2-3 Man United
    Man Utd 3-1 Chelsea
    Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea

Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd

Man Utd 3-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd
    Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 2-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 0-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 3-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-0 Chelsea
    Man Utd 1-3 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd

Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea

Had to check for myself because I didn't believe it at first. It's actually 7 wins in 22, which is still pretty abysmal.
    Pretty sure i read somewhere that Chelsea have taken more points off utd than any other team in EPL era

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
    Chelsea 3-1 Man United
    Man Utd 0-0 Chelsea
    Man Utd 0-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 2-3 Man United
    Man Utd 3-1 Chelsea
    Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea

Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd

Man Utd 3-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd
    Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 2-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 0-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 3-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-0 Chelsea
    Man Utd 1-3 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd

Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea

So Chelsea "only" have 10 victories themselves. I thought it would be more considering we are talking about the Abramovich era here.

salford_

Mourinho just confirmed Costa has "a chance" and "is training" with the team.

Remy is definitely out.
    Was always going to be fit, why he missed Maribor IMO. Lost count amount of times Costa been a doubt, then goes on to play and score

matt23

I'd like to see the 4231 but I'd have Herrera sitting with Blind and give Mata another crack at it behind Falcao, just can't see RvP not starting

Phil Duck

We only have two realistic options in this match, losing 0-3 or winning by a small margin and fighting for it ala 2005, there's no way we are going to be confortable in this match, not even a minute.

Trizy

Hope he says Carrick is fit, hopefully he's doing well in training too to warrant a spot, we'll need all the defensive cover we can get.

Herrera was pictured training today so that's also a good sign, for me I'd line up like.

---------De Gea
    Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw
    ------Carrick-Blind
    Valencia-Herrera-Di Maria
    OLOLOLO Radamel Falcaooooo

Would offer a lot of defense and strength in the middle of the park as well as up top with Herrera in for Mata because of his size, absolute quality #10 too may I add.

Plan B subs, RVP for Falcao, Carrick for Fellaini (swapping with Herrera as the #10) and Januzaj for Valencia.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
    Why guys keep puting Di Maria on the wing?
    So we can actually get some decent crosses onto ToiletBrush's head.
    Plus Falcao's goal record is predominantly from crosses. If Falcao had been on the pitch when di Maria kept whipping in those dangerous balls vs West Brom, I think he would have scored at least one. When the 2 of those start to click the goals will come rolling in.

Trizy

Why guys keep puting Di Maria on the wing?
    4231 can be changed to our diamond in a matter of seconds with only one player moving, so effectively Di Maria wouldn't be out and out winger.

saivet

I'd be a bit wary of playing the diamond. We may outnumber them centrally but Hazard and Willian/Schurlle may find themselves in a lot of space which would worry me.

I'd play it safe and go:

de Gea; Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw; Blind, Herrera, Fellaini; di Maria, Falcao, Januzaj

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
    --------De Gea---------
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    --------Carrick----------
    Herrera Blind Di Maria
    ---------Mata----------
    --------Falcao----------

This would be my team injuries permitting.

Jonno

Fellaini should stay on the bench. I'm not convinced he will impact like he did if he starts. Set up with plan A, and bring Fellaini on with plan B after an hour if we need to in my opinion.

Januzaj in our line up scares me at the moment. He's not in form at all and loses the ball too much.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

From the last starting 11 against WBA: drop Mata for Carrick to play in a 3 with Arthur and Herrera in midfield, and then drop Januzaj for Falcao and play Van Persie, Angel and Falcao as a fluid 3 up front.

If we kick Fabregas a little, watch out for Hazard and Costa, I reckon we can secure a narrow win. Won't be easy though, and much will be predicated on how the defence play and are protected from midfield.

2-1 United.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
    Fellaini ahead of Van Persie :lol: I mean seriously, is this what has become of us?
    To be fair they play different positions.

I'm shocked why some posters think he's something special after his cameo against a rubbish West Brom side who were defending for their lives.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
    To be fair they play different positions.

I'm shocked why some posters think he's something special after his cameo against a rubbish West Brom side who were defending for their lives.
    I don't think it's that anyone thinks he's anything special.
    It's just hoping that he decides to bring his physical side for once. If he did, he'd be great for roughing up Chelsea a little bit.

I wouldn't start him (or van Persie) but he could be useful off the bench again.
    A lot hinges on Carrick being fit and ready to start. If he isn't, I think we're in trouble regardless of what else we do.

RedHajimeSaito

Despite the forms of two teams of late, I believe Utd can nick out a win from this match. Remember when we beat them by a single goal from Fletcher (albeit implementing our own version of bus parking for the remainder of the match)?
    I believe we can do it as well....As long as Matic and Fabregas get muscled out of the game.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

I don't think it's that anyone thinks he's anything special.
    It's just hoping that he decides to bring his physical side for once. If he did, he'd be great for roughing up Chelsea a little bit.

I wouldn't start him (or van Persie) but he could be useful off the bench again.
    A lot hinges on Carrick being fit and ready to start. If he isn't, I think we're in trouble regardless of what else we do.
    I agree Carrick coming back will be more than useful for our somewhat beleaguered defence, but if he doesn't make it, I'd be reasonable happy with Valencia playing with Herrera and Blind in a midfield 3. His pace and strength would be useful against Chelsea's quite mobile midfield.

itso 7

We need energy to be solid so as to stand a chance in this game. That, for my money, means Robin and Mata have to sit this one out. Really hope Herrera is fit for this one. Falcao up top on his own ahead of a trio of Young, Herrera and Di Maria, with Herrera in a slightly withdrawn role. Jose will again look to sit deep and pick us apart on the break so it's imperative that we do not concede soft goals like have done so far, fat chance of that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 543 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw