Manchester United VS Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallred

this is it, the ultimate of match threads and what a way to end the season. cant wait, its going to be some atmosphere in the staidum.

my predicted team -

Van Der Sar

Browne _ Rio _ Vida _ Evra

Ronaldo _ Carrick _ Scholes _ Giggs

Rooney _ Tevez

Subs: PIG, Shea , Pique , Hargreaves, Anderson son son, Park, Saha

f*cking hell, just realised picking the bench really is going to be hard for fergie....loosing out Foster, Silvestre, Nani (cos of last week) fletcher, wellbeck, neville, eagles

i predict, Louis Saha to score the winner!

Who will get left out? Thats such a hard decision to make. We must match and surpass Chelsea's midfield while width will be very important. Please can we start the match like we mean business this time. I dont want to see Chelsea looking hungrier and sharper than us.

hycool

CR7 fanboy
this is it, the ultimate of match threads and what a way to end the season. cant wait, its going to be some atmosphere in the staidum.

my predicted team -

Van Der Sar

Browne _ Rio _ Vida _ Evra

Ronaldo _ Carrick _ Scholes _ Giggs

Rooney _ Tevez

Subs: PIG, Shea , Pique , Hargreaves, Anderson son son, Park, Saha

f*cking hell, just realised picking the bench really is going to be hard for fergie....loosing out Foster, Silvestre, Nani (cos of last week) fletcher, wellbeck, neville, eagles

i predict, Louis Saha to score the winner!
You just jinxed it, he will be injured again. Sigh

Veron

Varun
I really hope Saha starts.

Chelsea always stiffen us in the middle and our play gets very one dimensional most of the time with ronaldo not given the chance to have any breathing space

Terry and Carvalho need a proper aerial battle to keep the away from containing rooney.

I'd go with

___________ Van Der Saar ___________
Brown _____ Rio _____ Vida ______ Evra
___Hargreaves __ Carrick __ Scholes ___
__________ Rooney ___________ Ronaldo
______________ Saha ________________

starman

I reckon provided everyone is fit we will line up like this

____________ Van Der Saar ___________
___Hargreaves __ Carrick __ Scholes ____
_______Ronaldo ___________ Rooney_____
________________ Tevez ______________

Though I too have a feeling about Saha scoring:confused:

Heinzesight

we are going to give them a right fecking spanking...show them how football should be played...we'll play the cnuts off the pitch!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast

I've no problem with Saha scoring for us. If he plays I'd hope he gets a hat-trick.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I can't bear the thought of Grant with the same number of European Cup wins as SAF. United need to win this for the good of football let alone to ensure SAF takes his earned spot on the coaching perch.

Rooney gr8

The only requirement for the triumph of evil is fo

i would love to see this team, but, i do think that SAF will include fletcher in this midfield battle no WAR.

thus i think probable line up..

................Van Der Saar....................
Brown..........Rio......Vidic..........Evra
Hargo..Carrick..Fletcher..Scholes..Ronny
.....................Rooney...................

Does anybody know who is reffing and running each line?

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Im not at all nervous for this game for some reason im just excited. I have a feeling were gonna play well and express ourselves on the biggest stage of all.

reddevilcanada

it's great that we've got everyone fit and available, we'll have our strongest possible squad and Fergie will have the lads fired up for the biggest game of their lives.

do the renties have any players who're suspended for this game?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure how superstitious SAF is but as I understand it we've never lost when Park starts ... who predicted Park would start against Wigan which was another "must win" game?
That cant be true

Tareq

Livvie's Favourite Jordanian.
Lets not fall to the trap of the FA cup final season, we did not play our way and it was a misrable game, misrable result.
is it true that Ronaldo has yet to score against Chelsea ?

ColdplaySmiley

Not sure how superstitious SAF is but as I understand it we've never lost when Park starts ... who predicted Park would start against Wigan which was another "must win" game?
well i make it that we've lost following games where park has started:

2005/06 blackburn 1-2
boro 1-4
chelski 0-3

and then never since

so that's 3 losses in 53 starts

source: http://home.no.net/olavree/

look up park's record

BahamaRed

Legend
What a stupid stadium to have the final in. the pitch is so far away from the fans.
I bought this up in another thread last week. In fact it was one of the deciding factors of me giving up going after I'd seen pics of it and then saw some video clips of it. Behind the goals is fkn miles away from the pitch and that's where I expect the poor loyal fans to be. The UEFA suits and VIP's, the Chelsea staff (and their dogs) and so on will no doubt be along the centre.
There's never been an event that was more hostile to the real supporters than this.
This is no Nou Camp or Bernebeu or Old Trafford. This is an athletics stadium. Don't expect an atmosphere like 99.

Crustanoid

Looking at Hycool's opening post I have realised how poor (and easy) Chelseas run to the final looks in comparison to us.

They have scraped through - 3 draws in the group, drawing against Olympiakos who are pretty shit, losing to Fenerbache, Liverpool in the semis (enough said).

This compares to us blasting 5 wins and a draw including two 4-goal hauls in the group, beating the champions of France, a very good Roma side twice and Barcelona in the semis.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Looking at Hycool's opening post I have realised how poor (and easy) Chelseas run to the final looks in comparison to us
Yep, we have had the harder route to the final for sure. Unfortunately, it means nothing now. I think we deserve to win, we have played the better football throughout the tournament as a whole.

Veron

Varun
Whose fans will be sitting in the stands shown on the tele during play,i'm guessing chelsea because the home side always sits on the main stands and the away fans directly opposite like rangers did yesterday,it will be horrible to watch the chelsea fans during the match.
And which jersey are chelsea gona wear,the blue one or the white one ?

botond

Whose fans will be sitting in the stands shown on the tele during play,i'm guessing chelsea because the home side always sits on the main stands and the away fans directly opposite like rangers did yesterday,it will be horrible to watch the chelsea fans during the match.
And which jersey are chelsea gona wear,the blue one or the white one ?
maybe the chelsea fans will be more on the telly , but the sound will be dominated by the united fans

BahamaRed

Legend
Worth reading. Sums it all up for me

Onus is on Fergie to make the final one to remember

Last updated at 23:08pm on 12.05.08

The last time Manchester United and Chelsea faced one another in a showpiece final, the eagerly anticipated contest proved to be a marvellous advertisement for sport. Unfortunately, the sport in question was cricket.

The two great powerhouses of the modern English club scene served up a game so stultifyingly bad that grown men, some of them single, elected to drag themselves off the sofa and drive to IKEA to wait in line for a flat-packed bookcase rather than endure the tedium of extra-time.

No sooner had United edged Chelsea out in this year's title race, with the scent of stale champagne still in the air, the focus switched to the contest in Moscow where the two will renew their rivalry in the Champions League Final.

Don't forget to mark it down in the diary. May 21. Kick-off 7.45pm. Dinner reservation at local restaurant 7.50pm. Book taxi to be back for inevitable penalty shoot-out at 9.35pm. It's an option worth considering for the neutral.
While United can be entertaining and Chelsea compellingly effective, these two tend to cancel one another out in head-to-head encounters as effectively as divorce lawyers.
However, this time 60,000 English fans are risking personal safety and bank accounts travelling to Russia to witness it. And the world will be looking on to see if the Premier League really does live up to its billing as the most exciting spectacle there is (copyright courtesy of all satellite stations).
For that reason, the naïve romantic in me hopes that Sir Alex Ferguson and Avram Grant hold a pre-game summit in a quiet room. Here the two friends can shake hands, set aside the usual rancour, and agree instead to serve up a football feast rather than the overpriced, overhyped offerings we've had in the past.
"Come on Avram, this isn't about you or me," Ferguson would say, pouring out another glass of red. "It's not even about our crubs. It's about the game. Let's show the world what we've got."
After finally working out what Ferguson meant by 'crubs', Grant would pull his features into an uncharacteristic smile, a struggle that takes many minutes.
"You're right, Alex," he would reply in that Voice of the Mysterons monotone. "They say I am boring and that Chelsea lack excitement, but I don't care about the faxes Mr Abramovich sends me. This is my chance to be an entertainer. Let's do it!' he would mumble as enthusiastically as he could.
What a treat it would be if the teams traded blows during the match instead of in the post-game warm-down.
Picture a match where Chelsea's tactics proved more profound than hoisting it up to Didier Drogba and then waiting for him to collapse. A night when Cristiano Ronaldo realised it was his chance to go down in history, rather than just go down flapping his arms in outrage whenever brushed by a gust of wind. It could happen, you know.
"We play the right way," is Ferguson's unequivocal and justified boast. United certainly do try to attack with verve and flair, an attitude that not only makes them an irresistible force when they are in form, but pure box office, too, which is the model Abramovich aspires to.
In contrast, Grant was reduced to pleading that teams finishing level on points at the top should hold a play-off to decide the League champions, instead of counting goal difference.
In the end it didn't matter, but you can't blame the man for trying. After all, he has marshalled a team into second place that not only scored fewer goals than Arsenal, Liverpool and Villa but also one fewer than a Tottenham side languishing in 11th place.
It's not exactly the hallmark of entertainers. But it does demonstrate Chelsea can extract maximum gain from any sparse opportunity; that is why they are so dangerous. But if this final is to be memorable, the onus is on United to throw off the shackles and attack.
When Ferguson sent his team out at Stamford Bridge recently they looked uncharacteristically hesitant and unsure of one another, and in this self-induced state of half-paralysis, they lost.
Over two legs against Barcelona, they were almost as timid and there was an inescapable feeling they barely got away with it courtesy of some slack Spanish finishing.
They can afford to be bolder in this season's last hurrah. Ferguson has said that winning the European Cup might mark this side out as his best ever. A thrilling Moscow show might make the claim sound much more convincing.
United might have proved they are the best team in the country, but now they must trust to their instincts and be brave on the biggest stage of all. If Ferguson tries try to lock horns with Chelsea in the usual muscular battle, then the second best team in the league could easily be crowned the best in Europe.

link

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Englands Lion trains:

John Terry will not need to wear a protective strapping on his elbow during the UEFA Champions League final.

The Chelsea skipper came through training unscathed on Wednesday, the first time he has been able to take an active part in the build up to the game since suffering a dislocation in the 1-1 draw with Bolton on Sunday.

It had been feared that the England international would be forced to miss the European showdown with Manchester United altogether, but he insists that he will be fit enough to lead the Blues out in Moscow.

"My elbow is all right," said Terry.

"There is just a bit of strapping in case I fall and jar it.

"The last couple of days it has been getting better and hopefully I am going to train without the strapping.

"I have full range of movement. It is a little stiff when I wake up in the mornings but when the physios do a bit of work on it and I do some swimming, it frees right up."

Terry believes that the Blues are heading into the game in a confident frame of mind, despite missing out on the Premier League title.

The combative defender is also hoping that the club will be able to put previous disappointments behind them as they head into their first Champions League final.

"We have lost out in the past against Liverpool and Monaco and I really don't want to sit back and say we have thrown it away again," Terry added.

"We have the chance of a lifetime - a great squad of players and in great form at the moment.

"Manchester United have been in good form themselves but we are at the top of our game, we have everyone fit, and we need to take the game to them."

Status
Not open for further replies.