Manchester United vs. Chelsea

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Carrick vs Chelsea times 3, and Schalke times 1.

Last time I'm ever posting that video.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It was a Wes Brown og for that Sturridge effort against Sunderland, it was coming back out off the post. Still, City should have probably held onto that one.

Havak

Pokemon master
Carrick is an excellent reader of the game as you can see from the video posted above. I've heard people say he slows our play down in a similar way to Berbatov would, but I think he's the kind of player we need in certain games to allow us to start playing in the first place.

That number of interceptions and tackles won in three games isn't a fluke. Carrick's passing may have been poor in comparison to a few seasons ago, but when he keeps it simple we can usually set off attacks when he wins the ball back.

Fletcher can probably do the same thing, but I'd be more inclined to pick Carrick this time, especially due to his performances against Chelsea last season. He wasn't great against Benfica at all, but the entire midfield was obviously lacking in games, hopefully those minutes will allow Carrick to perform better on Sunday.

de Gea
Jones Ferdinand Smalling Evra
Carrick Anderson
Nani Rooney Young
Hernández
--
Lindegaard; Evans; Fletcher, Park, Valencia, Giggs; Berbatov​

Lindegaard, Fábio, Evans, Fletcher, and Valencia will probably come back into the side for the Leeds game, with Berbatov and Michael Owen getting a chance too (Macheda and Diouf on the bench).

However, weren't we hoping Vidic would be back for the Cheksea game? It could still be a possibility and he'd be sure to start if so.

Oh, and 1-0 Hernández by the way.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
----------------De Gea---------------
Smalling---Ferdinand----Jones-----Evra
Nani------Fletcher-----Anderson---Young
----------Rooney----Chicharito--------

Or

----------------De Gea---------------
Smalling---Ferdinand----Jones-----Evra
Valencia----Fletcher----Anderson---Nani
-----------------------Young
----------Rooney------------

Denis' cuff

I dont think there's such thing as being technically too good to play centre half. There are teams throughout Europe now that are producing these good footballing defenders and it's looking like that will be a new phase in the development of the game.

It's also worth pointing out that being 'too good' to play in defence doesn't necessarily mean that a player will be a success elsewhere. Ferdinand is a good example of this. I think we should enjoy having these players in defence instead of trying to shoehorn them into a different position.
Neil Franklin

Ruud Krol

Franz Beckenbauer

Gordon McQueen (just kidding) :)

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
I dont think there's such thing as being technically too good to play centre half. There are teams throughout Europe now that are producing these good footballing defenders and it's looking like that will be a new phase in the development of the game.

It's also worth pointing out that being 'too good' to play in defence doesn't necessarily mean that a player will be a success elsewhere. Ferdinand is a good example of this. I think we should enjoy having these players in defence instead of trying to shoehorn them into a different position.
Personally my biggest annoyance about our pre season was the fact that Luiz wasn't available, for everybody else it was about fitness and a place in the pecking order but he is the real tactical conundrum. I cannot see him getting in ahead of Terry and Ivanovic whilst Bosingwa ranges between good and underwhelming at right back.

I can see Luiz quite easily as a Roberto Carlos type individual, a Brazilian defender who at times can be shaky but wants to tear down the pitch and showboat and is very good at it.

Though if Villas Boas is the innovator he is supposed to be, Chelsea have the players to go 352 - Ivanovic, Terry and Luiz at the back, with a midfield of Lampard, Ramires and Mata with Cole and Bosingwa flanking them slightly back, and then Sturridge and Torres who don't have to be quite so worried about where their width is. That would be a good way of dispensing with this convention Chelsea now have with fielding a rigid holding player.

As I say, if these players were available pre season we could have tried them out, now the season is underway it would be reckless to be so bold.

WireRed

Personally my biggest annoyance about our pre season was the fact that Luiz wasn't available, for everybody else it was about fitness and a place in the pecking order but he is the real tactical conundrum. I cannot see him getting in ahead of Terry and Ivanovic whilst Bosingwa ranges between good and underwhelming at right back.

I can see Luiz quite easily as a Roberto Carlos type individual, a Brazilian defender who at times can be shaky but wants to tear down the pitch and showboat and is very good at it.

Though if Villas Boas is the innovator he is supposed to be, Chelsea have the players to go 352 - Ivanovic, Terry and Luiz at the back, with a midfield of Lampard, Ramires and Mata with Cole and Bosingwa flanking them slightly back, and then Sturridge and Torres who don't have to be quite so worried about where their width is. That would be a good way of dispensing with this convention Chelsea now have with fielding a rigid holding player.

As I say, if these players were available pre season we could have tried them out, now the season is underway it would be reckless to be so bold.
Do you not see potential in Luiz as a holding midfielder? He's a defender by trade so the defensive duties should be natural to him, but he's also a lot more dynamic on the ball than Mikel which would maybe liven up your midfield a bit without losing the defensive balance playing the trio you suggested might. He's got a bit of experience playing there in the past by all accounts aswell so may be something to have a look at for Chelsea.

alastair

ignorant
Do you not see potential in Luiz as a holding midfielder? He's a defender by trade so the defensive duties should be natural to him, but he's also a lot more dynamic on the ball than Mikel which would maybe liven up your midfield a bit without losing the defensive balance playing the trio you suggested might. He's got a bit of experience playing there in the past by all accounts aswell so may be something to have a look at for Chelsea.
Luiz is one of these bizarre players who appears to be very talented with the ball, but isn't actually completely competent in any position. I'd worry about him anywhere defensively, and he's not good enough offensively to play in an advanced role. I suspect he might settle down in a 4-2-3-1 as the better passer in the 2 sitters.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely, I've said it before - only yesterday in fact but I think the likelihood of that is low.

Saying all of this about Luiz, he came in at a difficult time for Chelsea, still fairly young, new to the premier league - we haven't seen enough of him yet to really paint an accurate picture. So many of Chelsea's foreign players have taken a year to get into the pace of things and start performing - for instance Ramires this time last year was underwhelming and was until after Christmas at which point it clicked for him and he now seems to have nailed down his first team place.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Recent results against Chelsea

10/11
Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea - Hernandez, Vidic; Lampard
Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea - Hernandez, Park; Drogba
Chelsea 0-1 Man Utd - Rooney
Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd - Rooney; Luiz, Lampard

09/10
Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea - Macheda; J.Cole, Drogba
Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd - Terry

08/09
Man Utd 3-0 Chelsea - Vidic, Rooney, Berbatov
Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd - Park, Kalou

07/08
Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea - Ronaldo; Lampard - Man Utd win 6-5 on penalties
Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd - Rooney; Ballack x2
Man Utd 2-0 Chelsea - Tevez, Saha

06/07
Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd - Drogba
Chelsea 0-0 Man Utd
Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea - Saha, Carvalho

Youngie

Recent results against Chelsea

10/11
Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea - Hernandez, Vidic; Lampard
Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea - Hernandez, Park; Drogba
Chelsea 0-1 Man Utd - Rooney
Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd - Rooney; Luiz, Lampard

09/10
Man Utd 2-2 Chelsea (cnuts won on penalties)
Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea - Macheda; J.Cole, Drogba
Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd - Terry

08/09
Man Utd 3-0 Chelsea - Vidic, Rooney, Berbatov
Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd - Park, Kalou

07/08
Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea - Ronaldo; Lampard - Man Utd win 6-5 on penalties
Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd - Rooney; Ballack x2
Man Utd 2-0 Chelsea - Tevez, Saha

06/07
Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd - Drogba
Chelsea 0-0 Man Utd
Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea - Saha, Carvalho
Missed one out. Ever the pedant me!:angel:

ricky-romeo

-------------------------de gea-----------------------------

smalling---------rio------------------jones--------------evra

nani------------carrick--------------anderson-----------young

----------------rooney--------------chicharito---------------

park would be a good option against a side like chelsea but he played for 90 minutes at benfica and given the good form of young, he is unlikely to start. would not mind to see park starting though.

shame cleverley is not fit, would be interesting to see how him and ando facing one of the best side in the world. fletcher is still recovering and lacks match fitness so carrick is likely to start. hope he can perform just like he did a few months ago this sunday.

rio's experience is vital, while i might just opt for jones over evans at the back.

bench looks strong though, with the likes of berba, owen, valencia, fletcher, giggs, park and so on.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
feck me do you remember how immense Park was last season at home to Chelsea?

He was literally everywhere, intercepting passes, winning tackles and starting counter-attacks.

Funny to see a little Korean guy dominate a very big and physically imposing Chelsea team.

I wonder if he will play Sunday?

ricky-romeo

feck me do you remember how immense Park was last season at home to Chelsea?

He was literally everywhere, intercepting passes, winning tackles and starting counter-attacks.

Funny to see a little Korean guy dominate a very big and physically imposing Chelsea team.

I wonder if he will play Sunday?
park was the best player on the pitch during the first 45 minutes at home last season.

kps88

Think we'll see Fletcher and Park get starts in place of Nani and Carrick.

Denis' cuff

:lol: they're all a bit before my time!

I know there have been these types of players throughout the history of the game, but I've never know it to be so common like it is now. We've got 2 or 3 in our defence alone.
Well, Neil Franklin was before mine as well but I remember talk of him. I wikied him actually and it was pretty interesting.

The 70s was awash with these "libero" type players (I was around then) and Beckenbauer is really one of my all time favourite players. If you get a chance to view Bayern or W Germany of the period, you ought to. Incredible player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I dont want to jinx things but I can honestly see a Phil Scolari style defeat for Chelsea

Last season we were comfortably better than them in all 4 games against them and while we've improved they seem to be at best at the same level they were last season

It should be a comfortable win the only thing counting against us is never winning our first 5 league games in a season before :nervous:

mustaine

I puked a bit in my mouth reading that... not that I don't like Park but Nani would be my second name on the team sheet after Rooney.

Fletch or Carrick? Don't care as long as Anderson starts.

Kaos

Nani has to play, him and Young give us the devastating edge in the attack. I'd probably play Fletcher/Park ahead of Carrick though.

kps88

Park is always fantastic in these games. Nani can blow hot or cold. Won't be a big surprise seeing Park start ahead of him on the right and helping out our two in midfield when we don't have the ball.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Park is always fantastic in these games. Nani can blow hot or cold. Won't be a big surprise seeing Park start ahead of him on the right and helping out our two in midfield when we don't have the ball.
No thanks. Absolutely no need to change a winning team, with the exception of the injured Cleverley.

Jaap

De Gea

Smalling
Evans
Ferdinand
Evra

Park
Carrick
Anderson
Young

Rooney
Chicharito

Well-balanced line up, Park as a big game player in for Nani and Wazza back in his prime position behind our Mexican poacher.

buckooo1978

I wonder would Fergie consider a midfield pairing of Anderson and Giggs

would be much more fluid and we'd pass the ball a lot quicker

Smith's Cove

I have a very uncomfortable feeling about this game. I can see Chelsea surprising a lot of people and clicking this weekend.

Crustanoid

I have a very uncomfortable feeling about this game. I can see Chelsea surprising a lot of people and clicking this weekend.
We always end up getting bummed when people think we're going to easily beat one of the bigger sides. Expect a fluky 2-1 to them