Manchester United vs. Chelsea

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Our first real test... will be a tough match...
Why do some people on here are so quick to undermine our start?

Our match against City was a test. West Brom and Bolton away are both tough matches. But yeah this is our first test. Idiots.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
First game against one of the top 7. Nothing idiotic about calling it a first tough test. Hardly undermining the start but instead is implying the importance of this game.
City. Spurs. Arsenal were all in top7 last season. It can be argued that City is stronger than Chelsea at this moment. He also posted this in the Benfica thread.

SAF should really point out to lads that we've just been VERY lucky the past matches and we should not underestimate whatever team comes to us...

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
City. Spurs. Arsenal were all in top7 last season. It can be argued that City is stronger than Chelsea at this moment. He also posted this in the Benfica thread.
You are smart enough to know that the Community Shield shouldn't be a proper indicator for what is to follow in the league and also that Spuds and Arsenal both fielded teams that we would beat even on an off day at OT. Again, I'm not undermining our form in the least. Just that, I too think this is the biggest game yet of the season even though Chelsea aren't all that fluid yet.

Ah, well, I didn't know that, in which case, you're right, that's clearly idiotic. I thought that you said it just based on the post in this thread.

jrsenior

Not nervous at all, not like me. With the great start we have had even a loss is no disaster. The lads look like they just want to have fun on the pitch, love it.

Berlinknives

de Gea

Jones
Ferdinand
Smalling
Evra

Nani
Carrick
Anderson
Young

Rooney
Hernandez

SUBS: Lindegaard, Fabio, Fletcher, Valencia, Park, Giggs, Berbatov.
Evans will make the matchsquad, I'm sure of that much, to me it's very much a case of Park vs. Valencia vs. Fabio for two places.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
As much as I would like to see Jones partner Rio, I think it will be Evans as well.

But I don't see why we wouldn't play Nani and Young, they were rested for Chelsea, seemingly.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
One thing is for sure, Fergie will want to put Villas-Boas firmly in his place.

If we win it will be his first league defeat since taking over at Porto.

Thoraximus

Latin for deep throat
Torres is bound to score a screamer against us, there's too much talk of him being a giant flop and us being invincible. I prefer it when everyone is writing us off. :(

Kelvin

no disrespect to evans, but I hope rio play ahead of him on sunday.

Crustanoid

Torres is bound to score a screamer against us, there's too much talk of him being a giant flop and us being invincible. I prefer it when everyone is writing us off. :(
This

We're going down on Sunday - happens every time we get cocky and expect 3, 4 goal victories against good sides who are written off as cannon fodder

gormless

I thought that in the Champions League match. I had visions of a, "What a time to score his first goal in the blue of Chelsea," moment in the last minute of the second leg. Quietly confident that it won't happen. I've gone from 100% certain that he will come good, to wondering exactly what the hell has gone wrong

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
no disrespect to evans, but I hope rio play ahead of him on sunday.
so do I

i dont see how its disrespect to evans though....A fit ferdinand is 10 times the player evans will ever be and plays everytime

McGrathsipan

First game against one of the top 7. Nothing idiotic about calling it a first tough test. Hardly undermining the start but instead is implying the importance of this game.
the top 7 means little so early on. It could look completely different after this weekend.

It is the toughest game yet no doubt, but at home I think chelsea will have to work very hard to get something from the game.

Northstand

Not sure where this idea is coming from that everyone's expecting a big United win. I've been reading a lot of opinions in the media that Chelsea will come good in this one. To underline it, all four pundits on Sky (Thompson, Merson, Le Tissier and Nicholas) have just predicted a draw.

RonaldoVII

Not sure where this idea is coming from that everyone's expecting a big United win. I've been reading a lot of opinions in the media that Chelsea will come good in this one. To underline it, all four pundits on Sky (Thompson, Merson, Le Tissier and Nicholas) have just predicted a draw.
Both on Football Focus went for a United win.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I've got a sneaky feeling for a draw on Sunday myself.

Hoping for a win of course, but SAF will probably go 4-4-2 at OT, with Anderson and Carrick as the central pair.

In this case a lot of how we do will depend on whether Anderson can continue his sparkling form or not. If he can we will probably win, if he can't we will probably draw.

McGrathsipan

I don't see a big win, but i don't see Chelsea beating us tomorrow.
I think we will win it, 2-1.

United are playing better football, we have an edge over Chelsea in the last few encounters and its at Old Trafford. Should be more likely for us to win but chelsea are a quality team also so they may indeed beat us.

My prediction is 2-1 United

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
We have won their last 17 league games in a row at Old Trafford.

AVB hasn't lost a league game as a manager since he took the reigns at Porto in 2010.

Something just has to give!

Man-United

Phil Dowd is the ref.

Free to do a Carragher against Nani then Ivanovic, as you won't get sent off.

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
Can't wait for this game. I think we're going to be too quick for them.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
My prediction, we're gonna hammer them 5-2.

Commadus

A strange one to predict. We are playing well but no Welbeck or Cleverly or Vidic. Chelsea seam to be winning without playing well not sure if that's an ominous sign. Torres on the verge of a breakout performance.

AttackingFlair

Worried about this one. We may play well but Chelsea somehow manage to win/draw games when they play shit.

RonaldoVII

He doesn't neccesarily have to have a great performance, didn't he hit the post in the CL? That was pretty close.
Two assists also.

I've got a strange feeling about today. Not sure what it is or what it will relate to but either my car will break down on the way or there'll be an injury or poor ref decision or something :nervous:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Links to to the match via my homepage will appear later in the day. Mostly sop with the odd flash.