Kick-off
Sat, 4 February 2023 @ 3:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dan_F

That first half felt like a standard Fergie 2007-2012 game. Usually we’d go on to score a second and completely coast, but we’ll see.

laughtersassassin

I wouldn't mind trying to go for more control and putting Sabitzer in for Wout or Antony so we had an extra Midfielder

Litch

Dont care who plays up front, its a graveyard shift as we create nothing.....our crosses are pants

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
    Scout
    I just don't see it with Antony. He's so fecking easy to defend against, stop him cutting inside and you're done as he can't use his right foot. Such a big flaw in his game.

Lecland07

We were dominant, but, whilst having his uses, Weghorst is really below the level we need.

Antony needs to step up in the attacking game, also. Hopefully, Sancho can bring something to the game.

Martial - this guy is just done.

Rojofiam

Only first season but really want this club to get to the point of moving the ball around like his Ajax team did.
    Eventually we'll be putting 3-4 past these lower table teams at home for fun playing just like you described...a new keeper is a must, though, for that to happen. New #8 too.

Malone_Post

Yeah someone at the ripe old age of...checks...22...should know better.
    The excuses Antony gets on here from some of you lot are incredible :lol:

Can’t expect a 22 year old attacker to know how to…errrm…attack?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    Yeah, he can be frustrating but his ability to retain possession and rarely give it away with a sloppy pass is highly undervalued.

There's too much frothing at the mouth for running at people. Not everyone can be a Rashford or a Garnacho. That's why we have Antony and Sancho
    I don't mind the criticism tbh, I just feel that at times fans are expecting Antony to do something he can't do right now. If he loses the ball stupidly then yeah he'd deserve some

acnumber9

It's a problem but completely unnecessary to keep pointing it out I feel. Even if he used his right, it would have required some good accuracy. Just my 2 cents
    The same could be said for anything. If we had a striker that didn’t score goals or a keeper that didn’t make saves would we not mention it?

Strelok

Weghorst isn’t on the same wavelength as anyone In our team. Looks a bit like a competition winner to me.
    He's not top quality but tbh what can you expect? At least he does his part in pressing I think.

Anyway the second half imo Palace would push a bit so we should bring some pace in to kill the game off. Take Weighorst out he has no pace. And bring Garnacho in. 2-0 and we can see how Sabitzer does here I think.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
    Supports
    There's only one United!
    Olise has been composed, making the right choices and integral to their attacks. Antony has been falling over, going backwards and miss hitting shots
    Disagree with you.

OverratedOpinion

Everytime I come into the matchday forum it takes less than 5 posts for me to remember why I don't come in here.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
    People need to realise that there will be games where we will be looking to preserve some energy when possible, given our schedule. It would be great if we win the game without leaving 2nd gear.
    Yeah but you do that when you are 2-3 goals up. You don’t sit back and conserve energy at 1-0. That shit cost us points against Palace the last time we played them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Antony doesn't get enough credit for his tireless workrate and hold up play.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
    We've played some good stuff and have pretty much dominated but need another goal. Second half will get jittery the longer it stays 1-0.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    The same could be said for anything. If we had a striker that didn’t score goals or a keeper that didn’t make saves would we not mention it?
    Those problems, as you are describing them are more critical IMHO. Antony can still play well without using his foot. You're comparing things that aren't comparable. A striker has to score goals and a keeper has to make saves. Antony should improve on his right foot but he can survive without it

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
    Genuinely fecking amazed by the shit people are giving Antony. I know I shouldn't be, but I still am.
    I haven't followed the thread, but not surprised at all.

I reckon he is well suited to play possession and pressing vs low blocks but pretty dreadful at direct counter-attacking moves: defenders just know he won't go outside so it all slows down and becomes predictable.

The opportunity falls on its arse really and the average Man United fan will understandably be upset by that having been spoilt on that front for decades. The upside is we didn't buy him to play Ole-ball, but we could do with him adding that string to his bow.

Dazzmondo

61% possession and 12 shot attempts in the first half....not sure why there is so much moaning about our play???
    The possession and defence have been good for sure, but I would question those shots. I doubt many of them were from particularly good positions. Most have been from outside the box. Definitely need to create more chances in the box.

BestRed

Great 1st half team performance, keep it up and we win this, come on lads!

Mick1

Yeah same mouth breathers who hated Fellaini.

We need to up the tempo here
    Fellaini was not out of place at that level though. He was a solid top 6 player and bench option, just not a very good stylistic fit. He was still preferred by all 3 of Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho though.

Wout is just not a player of that level. Still useful as a way to distract defenders into giving our better players more space, on a budget.

MonkeysMagic

I just don't understand why we don't use Weghorst for tge strength he brings to the side. Expecting him to pick up the ball and run past defenders isn't going to happen, but I counted 1 occasion when we actually put a high cross in!

Ceteris

Why are people bashing the Wout? Do we know how to cross for the big man?

He's doing all the hard work pressing, we need to create for him... Feeding on scraps

acnumber9

Those problems, as you are describing them are more critical IMHO. Antony can still play well without using his foot. You're comparing things that aren't comparable. A striker has to score goals and a keeper has to make saves. Antony should improve on his right foot but he can survive without it
    Obviously it’s an exaggerated example but the point remains. It’s a problem and pointing that fact is normal. We’re on a forum. To follow the same logic we shouldn’t praise players for something they’re good at.

Lecland07

Why are people bashing the Wout? Do we know how to cross for the big man?

He's doing all the hard work pressing, we need to create for him... Feeding on scraps
    It is fair. You need more to your game than jumping and heading at Manchester United.

We know his level is low for us, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when he gets possession. His inability is definitely affecting our forward play as he is not really an option to pass to.

cyberman

Some better than others obviously but I’ve never seen a player that outright refuses to do it like Antony. If it’s by far the better option then fecking use it.
    Other players refuse it, they just take it to the byline while Antony doesn’t.
    Rashford or Shaw aren’t pinging it in with their weak foot, hell we saw Bruno cross it in with the outside of his right v forest rather then use his left.
    Literally the only way you notice is because Antony doesn’t blindly carry it to the byline and cut off his options. He takes it inside early instead

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
    If things stay as they are, Liverpool will be closer to Wolves than us :drool:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 227 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw