Manchester United vs. Everton

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
You just gotta for it v Everton, whoever Fergie thinks his "best XI" is.

I'm no top football club manager, but I have my doubts we're going to go all out against Real in their house. Fergie, methinks, would be more than happy to take home a 1-1 draw from the Bernabeau. Cagy possession stuff, no leaving the back line exposed to treachery, looking for counters when the opportunities arise.

In the order of things in this particular situation, wouldn't we rather take a win v Everton and a draw v Real instead of a draw v Everton and a win v Real?

In any event, it should be possible for play back-to-back games with your top players, injuries and the like aside. We are men, not mice.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Everyone who'll start in Madrid should be rested, except perhaps De Gea.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
You just gotta for it v Everton, whoever Fergie thinks his "best XI" is.

I'm no top football club manager, but I have my doubts we're going to go all out against Real in their house. Fergie, methinks, would be more than happy to take home a 1-1 draw from the Bernabeau. Cagy possession stuff, no leaving the back line exposed to treachery, looking for counters when the opportunities arise.

In the order of things in this particular situation, wouldn't we rather take a win v Everton and a draw v Real instead of a draw v Everton and a win v Real?

In any event, it should be possible for play back-to-back games with your top players, injuries and the like aside. We are men, not mice.
We shouldn't be fecking about. Rotation is all well and good but Everton at home should not be a game we rotate in...

Amir

Even if you're looking at our 'strongest team', it may actually mean a partially different 11 against Everton and Real, for tactical reasons or whatever. Do we start with wingers, do we play two natural wingers or Kagawa, etc. And ofcourse we have options at the back, I'd probably go with Vidic and Smalling for Everton for the ability in the air. I wouldn't make any more changes than the minimum we consider the best team for each match, though.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
In our last 10 home league matches against Everton we have 7 wins and 3 draws.

22.04.2012 Manchester United 4-4 Everton
23.04.2011 Manchester United 1-0 Everton
21.11.2009 Manchester United 3-0 Everton
31.01.2009 Manchester United 1-0 Everton
23.12.2007 Manchester United 2-1 Everton
29.11.2006 Manchester United 3-0 Everton

11.12.2005 Manchester United 1-1 Everton
30.08.2004 Manchester United 0-0 Everton

26.12.2003 Manchester United 3-2 Everton
07.10.2002 Manchester United 3-0 Everton

In our last 10 league matches against Everton we have 5 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses.

20.08.2012 Everton 1-0 Manchester United
22.04.2012 Manchester United 4-4 Everton
29.10.2011 Everton 0-1 Manchester United
23.04.2011 Manchester United 1-0 Everton

11.09.2010 Everton 3-3 Manchester United
20.02.2010 Everton 3-1 Manchester United
21.11.2009 Manchester United 3-0 Everton
31.01.2009 Manchester United 1-0 Everton

25.10.2008 Everton 1-1 Manchester United
23.12.2007 Manchester United 2-1 Everton

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Last match vs. Everton: Everton 1-0 United, Fellaini 57'

De Gea
Valencia Carrick Vidic Evra
Scholes Cleverley
Nani Kagawa Welbeck
Rooney​

2nd to last: United 4-4 Everton, Jelavic 33', Rooney 41', Welbeck 57', Nani 60', Fellaini 67', Rooney 69', Jelavic 83', Pienaar 85'

De Gea
Rafael Ferdinand Evans Evra
Scholes Carrick
Valencia Rooney Nani
Welbeck​

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Looks like Fellaini is injured, it's hip injury and he probably won't play for his national team this week.

Goooose

We do, but I bet Fellaini elbow and headbutts his way to a goal. We'll have to be on top of our game for this one. It could be a tough test for our right back as well as I reckon Baines will be well up for this, no sloppy mistakes, giving away free-kicks etc, they could hurt us from set-peices.

Edit: Hadn't heard about Fellaini, but I reckon it's a case of friendly-itis.

Shark

@NotShark
We do, but I bet Fellaini elbow and headbutts his way to a goal. We'll have to be on top of our game for this one. It could be a tough test for our right back as well as I reckon Baines will be well up for this, no sloppy mistakes, giving away free-kicks etc, they could hurt us from set-peices.

Edit: Hadn't heard about Fellaini, but I reckon it's a case of friendly-itis.
They're also going with the hip injury excuse that SAF used for Carrick. Copycats! :p

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
The game against Madrid is the priority for me.
I know people will be leery about not getting a result against Everton (especially after what happened last season) but a slightly weaker side should be able to get a win on Sunday.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
De Gea

Rafael-------Evans------Smalling-------Evra

Welbeck-----Jones-------Scholes------Young

Cleverley/Rooney

Hernandez​

And for the Madrid game:

De Gea

Rafael--------Rio--------Vidic-------Evra

Carrick---------Anderson

Valencia----------Rooney------Nani/Kagawa

RVP​

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No. Our 9pt lead allows us to fully prepare for Real.
feck that. Full steam for Everton and Madrid then we have 5 day break until a home FA cup tie against Reading. If anyone needs a rest they can have it then.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's not really about "Needing a rest". The players can play both matches in 4 days fine. The key issue from Fergie's perspective is if he wants certain players to be at an optimum level for the Madrid game. If they are fresher for the Madrid game they will be able to play better in theory.

wr8_utd

:'(
A draw is a good result in Madrid whereas a win is what we ought to get against Everton so yes full strength,

MUFCgal

Everton:

---------------DDG---------------
Rafael---Smalling---Evans-----Evra
Valencia--Carrick--Cleverley---Nani
----------Rooney--RvP------------

Real:

--------------DDG----------------
Rafael-----Rio----Vidic--------Evra
--------Carrick----Cleverley-------
Nani----------Rooney------Kagawa
----------------RvP---------------

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Everton are a good side, underestimate them at your peril. Can't believe folk are thinking of a weakened side.
We have a good squad, and we have players who physically can't play two games in 4 days (namely, Vidic and Rio) and we're going to need those two in Madrid. We have Smalling and Evans, who are both fantastic, so to not use this depth would be a bit daft.

I trust Fergie to strike a good balance for both games.

Brightonian

Fellaini might miss the game due to a hip injury.
Do Belgium have a friendly? If so, 'hip injury' is apparently the trending fake injury to protect key players from call-ups.

If not... it's just a fashionable injury. The cool kids are all falling down the stairs these days.

Anduin

I hope we play two very strong teams with only minor changes for Everton/Madrid. The next game will be Reading away on Monday the 18th, we should beat them with a mixed team. There will be enough rest for everyone IMO.

XI for Everton

De Gea
Rafael - Vidic - Smalling - Evra
Cleverley - Anderson
Valencia - Rooney - Kagawa
Hernandez

RVP
Welbeck - Rooney - Nani
Carrick* - Cleverley
Evra - Ferdinand - Evans - Rafael
De Gea

XI for Real

* Convinced he will be fit, it will be just one of those 'friendly around the corner' injuries.

De Gea, Rafael, Evra, Cleverley & Rooney can definitely play twice in 3 1/2 days. I'm not convinced we can risk to rest RVP for Everton, but he needs to be managed carefully and Hernandez deserves to start.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Go strong v Everton. The boys will have been fully rested -- assuming no one is dragged through the mud on international duty -- going into the Everton match and the boys will have a chance to rest after Real.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Do Belgium have a friendly? If so, 'hip injury' is apparently the trending fake injury to protect key players from call-ups.

If not... it's just a fashionable injury. The cool kids are all falling down the stairs these days.
Well he did report to the Belgian team but has been unable to train, so a very good chance he will recover fully in time for the game with us.

Mad Winger

I have a feeling Kagawa will be rested for the Real Madrid game, since he has to travel all the way to Japan and back again. I've taken almost the exact same trip 6 times, and I can tell you it's pretty damn rough. I can't even imagine playing a football game just a few days after such a "commute".

Brightonian

I'm not convinced we can risk to rest RVP for Everton, but he needs to be managed carefully and Hernandez deserves to start.
Hernandez is such a good player in such good form; if we play him and Rooney up front, I highly doubt that resting RVP will be the reason we don't win the match. Plus he's more than earned a start, as you say.

I have a feeling Kagawa will be rested for the Real Madrid game, since he has to travel all the way to Japan and back again. I've taken almost the exact same trip 6 times, and I can tell you it's pretty damn rough. I can't even imagine playing a football game just a few days after such a "commute".
Plus Valencia left and Nani right is a more typical Fergie selection in a big CL tie - proper width on both flanks, and Valencia to help Rafael handle Ronaldo.

Mad Winger

Plus Valencia left and Nani right is a more typical Fergie selection in a big CL tie - proper width on both flanks, and Valencia to help Rafael handle Ronaldo.
What I meant is that I'm pretty sure that Kagawa will start against Real. The Everton game will be only 2-3 nights after he's commuted twice over half the globe. I think that's a bit harsh.

Shimo

Team I'd like to see

DDG
Smalling, Evans, Vida, Evra
Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Kagawa
Rooney, Chicha

Nani needs more games to build up a head of steam, with his long lay off he should be able to play Sunday/Wednesday.

Chicha will relish running behind Everton defenders and pulling them all over and we can keep RVP fresh for Madrid.

Don't risk Rio/Rafael - both I think are needed against Madrid.

Anduin

True, completely forgot about his inclusion into the Japan squad. No way he's going to start on Sunday then. Time for Tony V to up his game considerably, we need him at his very best as soon as possible.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
We have a good squad, and we have players who physically can't play two games in 4 days (namely, Vidic and Rio) and we're going to need those two in Madrid. We have Smalling and Evans, who are both fantastic, so to not use this depth would be a bit daft.

I trust Fergie to strike a good balance for both games.
We've got one saying we should play a totally different 11 at home to Everton than away to Madrid though. To me that is madness.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We've got one saying we should play a totally different 11 at home to Everton than away to Madrid though. To me that is madness.
Yeah that is madness. I don't see a problem with Hernandez, Kagawa, Evans and Smalling starting ahead of Rio, Vidic, Rooney and Van Persie. If we need the latter they can always come on against tired legs.

SirFergie

What we don't want is a game where we're having to chase it against good opposition because we've made too many changes and we end up with a disjointed performance. We can't afford that even with a 9 point lead; we don't want to lose momentum and we don't want to give the bitters any reason to find any.

We have more than enough depth to make changes for the Madrid game and still field a strong XI if needs be. So why take the risk?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
What we don't want is a game where we're having to chase it against good opposition because we've made too many changes and we end up with a disjointed performance. We can't afford that even with a 9 point lead; we don't want to lose momentum and we don't want to give the bitters any reason to find any.

We have more than enough depth to make changes for the Madrid game and still field a strong XI if needs be. So why take the risk?
Agree with all of that.

1-0 down at HT against Everton because of changes, leading to a frantic 45 minutes to rescue it will feck us over, far more than a solid win with a full side out.

gamma1

Most of the decisions in terms of the potential lineup will be influenced by the Champions league game against Real Madrid to be played three days later. I think we’ll probably employ a 4-5-1/4-3-3 at the Bernabéu so some of the personnel to be used in those formations will not take part in the Everton match.

I expect Rafael and Ferdinand to be rested in defense which would allow for Evans and Vidic to form the likely center back pairing. In midfield I can see Cleverely being rested; I would have opted for Anderson to take his place but since Everton are a strong team with a capacity to decisively control the game and since Anderson didn’t resoundingly display a solid performance in his last match, I think Giggs who exhibits better defensive discipline will be favored to partner Carrick. When it comes to wingers, I think Nani will play on the right and Welbeck (Young if he’s fit to play) will be favored on the left. In attack Rooney will most likely be in the starting lineup but I expect Hernandez to start in place of Van Persie. I think we’ll make crucial substitutions at the later stages of the second half or even earlier depending on whether we are fortunate enough to be in a commanding position (75 min Valencia for Nani, 70 min Anderson for Carrick, 70 min Kagawa for Rooney).

This will be a tough game to confront right before an away Champions League fixture. I hope the changes that will be introduced into the team with the Real match in mind do not adversely affect our play; I’d like to see something similar to the Fulham game but with better finishing. Everton have caused us major problems in our last few meetings. Our center backs need to be particularly vigilant in defending Fellaini’s dangerous aerial threat. Thus overall, we’ll need to display a strong performance if we are to secure the all-important victory that will take us one step further towards capturing the premiership title.

----------------De Gea------------------
Smalling----Vidic-----Evans----------Evra
----------Carrick------ Giggs-------------
Nani------------Rooney----------Welbeck
---------------Hernandez---------------

Subs: Lindegaard, Jones, Scholes, Anderson, Valencia, Kagawa, Van Persie