Manchester United vs. Everton

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I thought he was good in the 4 - 4 despite how that turned out. The goal involving the dummy with Welbeck was class.

Anduin

I think with Fellani, we're not gonna be able to play high, esp if say scholes comes in which is very possible.
With Anderson and Carrick both having a week off, I very much doubt that Scholes will get a game, with Giggsy waiting for an appearance too. Cleverley will be rested for Real IMO, and Carrick can easily play twice in the space of three days. Scholes will return vs. Reading in the FA Cup. TBH I would be shocked to see him start vs. Everton.

wr8_utd

:'(
Yes can't see Scholes starting vs Everton. Giggs hasn't started in more than a week now and I think he'll start on the left wing so Scholes and Giggs both starting would be disaster.

Oh and Everton still haven't lost with Gibson in the team. It's high time that record ended!

Baxter

DDG
Rafa - Vida - Smalling - Evra
Carrick - Cleverley
Nani - Rooney - Kagawa
van Persie

That would do the job for me.

mufcwarm92

That 4-4 was incredible - some of the best and worst football we've played for years. Must have been incredible for a neutral.

A wounded United is a truly fearsome beast and I can't see us making the same mistake again. 3-1

Moriarty

That 4-4 was incredible - some of the best and worst football we've played for years. Must have been incredible for a neutral.

A wounded United is a truly fearsome beast and I can't see us making the same mistake again. 3-1
If only Paddy's header hadn't hit the post...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think we'll rest Rio, Vidic, Nani, Cleverley and one of Rooney or Van Persie.
De Gea
Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
Valencia Carrick Anderson Giggs
Rooney/RVP Welbeck

Hopefully it's enough to win it, a strong midfield and front line, only center backs are the weakpoint really. Maybe Welbeck might even get a goal playing up front instead of on the wing.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
I have a feeling RvP won't start.

I just put him on the bench for fantasy and opted with a 5-man midfield and brought it Walcott.

wr8_utd

Just read the Fergie interview and I've now accepted that we're going to drop points in this game. I hope he's lying because a different team means he'll play something ridiculous like Welbeck and Hernandez upfront and that really worries me because I can't see us beating Everton unless we're atleast close to full strength. I'm already worried about what sort of teams he's going to put out vs City and Arsenal if we make it to he semis of the CL. Our QF's sandwich the City game and the Arsenal game is sandwiched between the semi's.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Don't you think Fergie, as much as he'd love to beat Real in their house, is actually plotting to grab the three points v Everton and settle for the draw v Real?

A draw, either 1-1 or 2-2, suits us very well on the return leg. Losing ground to City, who will pick up all three points on Saturday, would be a very bad thing. On the other hand, I suppose since City plays first this weekend Fergie will have the luxury of knowing the outcome of the City game before having to turn in his squad sheet on Sunday. Should City actually drop points v Southampton -- not implausible, though very unlikely -- Fergie might just decide to go with a weaker side v Everton to properly prepare for Real.

Since we're all -- myself included -- in the habit of looking into the crystal ball I'll state the obvious right now: if we go up 12 points over City this weekend we can put 9.5 fingers around the trophy.

mightberight

Just read the Fergie interview and I've now accepted that we're going to drop points in this game. I hope he's lying because a different team means he'll play something ridiculous like Welbeck and Hernandez upfront and that really worries me because I can't see us beating Everton unless we're atleast close to full strength. I'm already worried about what sort of teams he's going to put out vs City and Arsenal if we make it to he semis of the CL. Our QF's sandwich the City game and the Arsenal game is sandwiched between the semi's.
Everton have taken six points from their last four games, including a home draw against Aston Villa and a 0-0 against Southampton. Not sure why you're elevating them into some kind of formidable opponent. They're good but there's no excuses whatever team they put out, imo - if we perform, we will beat them.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Watching the uncut press conference on MUTV, SAF is asked if by 'changes' he means 10/11 changes between this side and the one that plays Real, and he says yes - not just key changes.

Dropped points here we come :(

Shark

@NotShark
I'm always harping on about how good our squad depth is, so I am in no position to complain. Whatever team SAF fields, I'll be behind the lads and hopefully we get over the line. Fergie has always been a gambler, and more aften than not, he gets it right.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Watching the uncut press conference on MUTV, SAF is asked if by 'changes' he means 10/11 changes between this side and the one that plays Real, and he says yes - not just key changes.

Dropped points here we come :(
I highly doubt they'll be that many changes, there's absoloutly no need to make 10 changes from the team that plays Sunday to the one that plays Wednesday, anyone would think this is the first time we've had 2 games in a week this season or something.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I highly doubt they'll be that many changes, there's absoloutly no need to make 10 changes from the team that plays Sunday to the one that plays Wednesday, anyone would think this is the first time we've had 2 games in a week this season or something.
Indeed; I suspect he's saying that to add to the argument that we're being shafted by the TV scheduling, but it still might indicate that he intends more changes then we on here were imagining - and Everton are a dangerous team to play that game with.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I wrote down the 3 teams I would like to see in the next 3 games and I had 6 players playing both the Everton and Madrid games; De Gea, Rafael, Vidic, Evra, Carrick & Rooney, any less than that and we'll be pushing our luck on Sunday

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If Fergie really is making that many changes to the Everton line up, then clearly he really wants to go all the way in the CL this season.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I don't care if makes 10 changes which is basically everyone but the keeper but I don't want him to start Giggs and Scholes together.

Cevno

The Manchester United manager is furious his side must play Everton at Old Trafford on Sunday, reducing preparation time ahead of Wednesday's Champions League duel with Real Madrid.

When the Everton fixture was initially chosen for live TV screening by Sky, there was an option for the game to be played on Saturday lunchtime instead of Tottenham's clash with Newcastle should United have found themselves involved in a Tuesday European game.

But once it was confirmed for Wednesday, the match stayed when it was, even though both Tottenham and Newcastle do not play in the Europa League until Thursday.

By contrast, Real entertain Seville in La Liga on Saturday, offering vital extra time Ferguson fears could tip the balance away from his side.

"The Premier League agree the contract with TV and they are in control," he said. "But they are not giving our teams a chance to be successful in Europe.

"It is ridiculous to think we are playing on Sunday and Real Madrid have an extra day's rest.

"It is not fair. France play Friday nights. Why? Possibly we (England) get more money out of television I don't know.

"Other countries make sacrifices for their top teams in Europe.

"What can you do? Not turn up? I would like to do that by the way."

Ferguson has a bee in his bonnet about being asked to play Saturday lunchtime fixtures immediately after Champions League games too.

During the quarter and semi-finals, such congestion is inevitable given the first leg of half the fixtures are played on Wednesdays, with the second match the following Tuesday.

However, the United boss had an even worse example.

In April 2007, Tottenham played a Europa League tie in Seville before flying back and taking on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in a Saturday lunchtime game, which could not be moved because the hosts were stuck in that Wednesday-Tuesday Champions League fix.

"It is pointless complaining about these things all the time," he said.

"You know full well after an away game in Europe you are not getting back until two or three in the morning and then are playing again on the Saturday.

"There was an even more ridiculous case than ours when Tottenham played on a Thursday night in the Europa League and then had to play on the Saturday against Chelsea.

"How many times have I complained about it? You've heard my complaints. Do they listen?"

It means Ferguson will field a completely different team on Sunday compared to the one he selects in Madrid, explaining why he gave the green light for Roy Hodgson to use Wayne Rooney for the full 90 minutes in England's friendly with Brazil at Wembley on Wednesday.

Ferguson claimed his attitude "possibly" would have been different had the Everton game been played on Saturday.

However, one player who definitely will not face the Toffeemen is Paul Scholes, who has picked up a minor knee injury Ferguson hopes will have eased sufficiently for him to come into contention on Wednesday.

"Paul has missed the last couple of games but he started training on Thursday and should be okay for next week."

http://www.football365.com/manchester-united/8482688/Fergie-fumes-over-TV-scheduling

prateik

----------Linde
Rafael-Smalling-Evans-Butt
----Scholes-Anderson
Val------Kaga--------Giggs
--------Welbeck

Hernandez will arrive late from the internationals so he might not start.

Yep..

Cevno

Think both Kagawa and Cheech might not start due to the travelling.

But i guess one will have too. :p

LR7

I don't care if makes 10 changes which is basically everyone but the keeper but I don't want him to start Giggs and Scholes together.
I think he said Scholes has a knee injury.
Carrick played every game over the Xmas run-in (4 in 11 days or something) so I'd guess he could start both; Everton with Anderson and Madrid with Cleverley? I'd rather Giggs didn't play in CM but he's been class on the wing but Ashley Young is back too now so I'm sure will fit in somewhere. Trying to guess what SAF might do for these two games is hard!
Normally I don't condone Jones in CM but I'd like to think he wouldn't let Fellaini bully him so might be an option there against Everton.

prateik

Ah.. Scholes in injured.. Young is back.
Fresh predictions

-------------Linde
Rafael--Smalling--Evans--Buttner
--------Powell--Anderson
Nani--------Giggs---------Young
----------Welbeck

yamo123x

Think we'll rest Rio, Vidic, Nani, Cleverley and one of Rooney or Van Persie.
De Gea
Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
Valencia Carrick Anderson Giggs
Rooney/RVP Welbeck

Hopefully it's enough to win it, a strong midfield and front line, only center backs are the weakpoint really. Maybe Welbeck might even get a goal playing up front instead of on the wing.
Resting Vida will be a mistake. Remember everton are a big side and pump crosses and setpieces in all the time we need our best aerial
Defender. IMO we'll play Vida and evans vs everton. We will then have rio and evans vs Madrid.

yamo123x

De gea

Smalling evans vidic Evra

Valencia carrick Anderson young

Hernandez. Welbeck

Personally I'd play full strength getting league title no 20 is more important than champ league. But reckon fergie will go with the above

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He won't make 10 changes!

Even if he does we can comfortably put out a good enough side.

I imagine:

da Gea

Rafael
Evans
Vidic
Evra

Nani
Carrick
Kagawa
Young

Welbeck
Rooney

That'd be good enough. Only four of them need to start v Real as wel.

Jacob

Rafael should get a rest, I imagine the team to be:

Lindegaard
Jones, Smalling, Evans, Buttner
Anderson, Giggs, Kagawa
Nani, Hernandez, Welbeck

Havak

Pokemon master
Hmm, really difficult to predict this one. He won't play two completely different sides. I think he'll rest Ferdinand, Cleverley, Valencia, van Persie, and maybe Evra:

de Gea
Rafael Smalling Vidic Buttner
Nani Carrick Anderson Giggs
Rooney
Hernandez​

Evans, Scholes, and Welbeck to replace Vidic, Carrick, and Rooney.

vs Madrid:

de Gea
Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Kagawa
van Persie​

Although, I can see the somewhat 'surprising' inclusions of Evans over Vidic and Welbeck over Kagawa, but it probably depends who starts tomorrow. I also think Fletcher would have had a good shout in the away leg if he wasn't out again.

Donut

We should play Rooney. The more he plays, the sharper he'll stay, and he's in great form.

I'd rate all of our first choice defenders about equal, so if we're going for experience for Real, then Evans and Smalling for Everton, however, Vidic is the one who has the tools to deal with Fellaini, so that's a tough choice. Rio will surely be saved for Real though.

Carrick should probably be rested, but he's by far our best midfielder, so what do we do? I think Fergie will pick Scholes and Cleverley/Anderson, or maybe go for 3 in midfield.

I think we'll see something like this:

Everton:

De Gea

Rafael
Evans
Smalling
Evra

Scholes
Giggs
Anderson

Young
Kagawa
Rooney

Real:

De Gea

Rafael
Vidic
Rio
Evra

Nani
Carrick
Cleverley
Valencia

Rooney
Van Persie

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I dont think we'll ever start Scholes in midfield again. If Carrick is not starting, he'll start with Jones. I'm pretty sure Carrick will start though, and subbed if we're up by two goals or more.

Donut

Yea, not in a midfield 2, but I can see him playing in a 3.

On second thought, I think Fergie will want Giggs against Real.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Quite a tricky one to field a team good enough to beat Everton, but keeping enough back fresh for Wednesday.

Certainly need Smalling and Vidic for Everton to counter their physical style. And therefore Rio will be saved for Wednesday.

Cleverley and Anderson will play one each as well.

Fergie doesn't like to rest Evra from games that matter, but maybe he'll consider giving Buttner a rare run out.

Rooney in Fergie's own words needs to consecutively play games too.

Can we afford to leave VP out, or does it make more sense to take him off later?

I'd probably gamble on

De Ge
Jones (if fit) Smalling Vidic Buttner
Nani Anderson Carrick Welbeck
Rooney Hernandez

Madrid
De Gea
Rafael Evans Ferdinand Evra
Valencia Cleverley Carrick Rooney
Kagawa
VP

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
de Gea, Rafael, Evra, Carrick and Rooney are the only players guaranteed to start against both Everton and Madrid, I feel.
Maybe against Madrid but not against Everton. Fergie could easily rest the lot of them for the Madrid game.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I just don't see mass changes between the Everton and Real matches. Five days later, we have Reading and then 5 days after that QPR.

wr8_utd

Everton have taken six points from their last four games, including a home draw against Aston Villa and a 0-0 against Southampton. Not sure why you're elevating them into some kind of formidable opponent. They're good but there's no excuses whatever team they put out, imo - if we perform, we will beat them.
Well because they're a difficult team to beat. They might have not won many games off late but they're a solid team who've been playing well this season, have taken points off us in our last two games and have Fellaini who causes us massive trouble. And on top of all of that, we're likely to play an under strength team.