Kick-off
Sat, 29 November 2014 @ 3:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 59 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

allen!7

I prefer 433. I Like to see falcao for 90 minutes.

DDG
    RAFAEL MCNAIR SMALLING BLACKETT
    HERRERA CARRICK FELLAINI
    ROONEY RVP/FALCAO DIMARIA

bryant_s

Shaw, Rojo, and Rafael still injured. Most likely we'll use 3-5-2 again until we have them back. I really want to see Falcao play for a full game.

Bwuk

Making the brave assumption we suffer no more injuries before then...

De Gea
    Valencia - McNair - Smalling - Blackett
    Carrick
    Herrera - Fellaini
    di Maria
    Mata - Rooney​

United98

4 at the back is more useful against a weaker opponent.

---------------------------------------De Gea-------------------------------------------
    ----------Rafael-------------Smalling--------------McNair-----------------Blackett-------
    ---------------------------------------Carrick-------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------Hererra----------------Fellaini-------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------Di Maria-----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------Rooney----------------Falcao--------------------------------

or Dimaria and mata behind one striker either rooney or falcao.

Roosney

Looks good, although Di Maria may be a bit wasted if he's too high.
    Haha! Pun intended?

If Rafael is fit I'd like to see Valencia in mid-field two, can't remember now which game he played there but I think we played pretty well. And start Wilson ahead of van Persie. I wonder if van Gaal is up for it.

Jammydodger7

Hope if Falcao ready to go then just drop RVP for him.
    Any injury updates?
    Even if he's not fit, which I don't expect him to be, RVP needs to be dropped, give Wilson a gaime, theres noting to lose, playing with RVP at the moment is like playing with 10 men!

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
    What I am hoping for:

-------------------De Gea----------------------

Rafael -----Smalling -------CB-----------Shaw / Blackett

-----------------Carrick-------------------------

------Valencia/Herrera---------Di Maria------------

-------------------Mata-------------------------

----------Rooney ---------Wilson------------------

What I predict:

----------McNair-----Smalling --Blackett----------

Valencia-------------Carrick---------------------Young
    -------------Fellaini---------Di Maria------------

----------Rooney ---------RVP------------------

ElectroManiac

Hoping Rafael is fit to play this to. We need him back. Valencia did a fine job again Arsenal there, but Rafael is just much more solid than him.

El Zoido

It's definitely time to drop RVP. LVG said only Rooney is undroppable, because he's captain, so it's time to leave RVP on the bench. Give him something to think about.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
    But why isn't that already true? He's failed to perform in three or four games in a row now.
    Yeah i know. I can't read LvGs mind, but somehow he really trust RvP and just probably still thinks he can get him back to world class form. Im just saying that the next two games shouldnt be as hard as the arsenal game and maybe RvP will still get a couple more chances. We all know the club would benefit from having an on form van persie.

If he decides to drop him for the next game, it wont be bad either way

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
    My guess for the next game

--------------------big Dave--------------------
    --------------McNair--------Smalling-----------
    --Rafael-----------------------------Shaw(if fit)
    --------------------Carrick----------------------
    -----------Fellaini---------Di Maria-------------
    --Valencia---------------------Mata(Januzaj)--
    ------------------Rooney-----------------------

If shaw isnt fit then blackett. Probably we will see Valencia at RB and rooney dropping a little bit to midfield and RvP in the attack line

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    --------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------
    Valencia/Rafa-------Smalling--------Mc Nair------------------Shaw
    --------------------------------
    Carrick--------------------------------
    -------------------Herrera--------------Di Maria---------------------
    --------------------------------Fellaini--------------------------------
    -----------------------Rooney--------RVP-----------------------------

Or If nobody's fit as usual

--------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------
    ----------------Mc Nair-------Smalling---------Blackett-------------
    Valencia---------------Carrick---------Fellaini----------------Young
    ---------------------------------Rooney-------------------------------
    -------------------------RVP------------Di Maria----------------------

ManRed

Win the next two games and the confidence will be sky high before the Southampton trip. The lineup will mostly be decided by who is fit, if Shaw and Rafael recover then we can expect a 4-3-3 other wise..it will be 3-5-2 again.

------------------------------DDG-------------------------------------

-------------Mcnair-----------Smalling---------Blackett-------------

Valencia--------------------Carrick----------------------------Young

-------Fellaini--------------Rooney--------------Di Maria------------

---------------------------Doesn't exist--------------------------

Subs: Falcao coming on to make it 11 vs 11,
    Fletcher for whichever defender gets injured.

goin4glory

I know we got the result but let's not ignore the fact that the back 5 was horrible again. Could have been 3-0 down at half time. Never want to see it again. Other than that RVP needs to be dropped immediately.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    I know we got the result but let's not ignore the fact that the back 5 was horrible again. Could have been 3-0 down at half time. Never want to see it again. Other than that RVP needs to be dropped immediately.
    Well what do you expect when rafael, Jones, evans, Shaw, rojo, blind are all injured? Anyways, after that first 30 minutes before we got going our defence did well and arsenal didn't really create many chances. We don't have a choice but to play something similar to that considering everyone is injured.

Agree on RvP, useless these days.

bosnian_red

As Shaw will probably be out, and I doubt RvP will be dropped, I'm hoping we see something like:

De Gea
    Smalling Carrick McNair
    Valencia fellaini Herrera Young
    Di maria
    Rooney RvP​

Really just not a fan of blackett, very suspect defensively, and putting Carrick at the back gives us more control and let's us put herrera in the middle. Falcao to come on as a sub for rvp, then start the next game or the one against Southampton.

The Messenger

RVP is tired. He is't able to play as good as he can. I don't understand why LVG doesn't see that.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
    As Shaw will probably be out, and I doubt RvP will be dropped, I'm hoping we see something like:

De Gea
    Smalling Carrick McNair
    Valencia fellaini Herrera Young
    Di maria
    Rooney RvP​

Really just not a fan of blackett, very suspect defensively, and putting Carrick at the back gives us more control and let's us put herrera in the middle. Falcao to come on as a sub for rvp, then start the next game or the one against Southampton.
    You're one of my favourite posters here (and you're Canadian as well), but you lose major, major marks for starting with valencia and young. i saw what they did last weekend, and while they did a job defensively against Arsenal... that's just not at all necessary against Hull as far as I'm concerned.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
    jeez, nevermind... i see nearly everyone is picking valencia and young in their line ups. maybe it's me who's in the twilight zone.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    What I predict:

----------McNair-----Smalling --Blackett----------

Valencia-------------Carrick---------------------Young
    -------------Fellaini---------Di Maria------------

----------Rooney ---------RVP------------------
    This is the only realistic starting 11 I've seen, which seems likely.
    Firstly RvP won't be dropped because we have no other option.
    He is the only front man we have which is why his name always goes on the team sheet. Rooney is a No.10 and LvG doesnt like playing him at the front.
    Falcao is injured. Di Maria and Januzaj are not front men. Ergo RvP (who IMO shouldnt play), will play.

Some people seem to be once again (just like in the Arsenal thread), putting Falcao in the team. This guy is injured. LvG knows it. He won't risk giving this guy more than about 20 minutes.
    His injury has to be managed very carefully, so dont expect him to play 90 minutes for at least a few months. Is no one understanding this?

In a similar vein, people are putting Herrara's name in the mix - this guy is injured and not ready to play 90 minutes. He may come on a sub, though.
    The same applies to Rafael and all our other injured players.

Given the injury problems that LvG is dealing with, he is going to be very careful to ensure that players who are already injured are not rushed back, to get re-injured (for another few weeks).
    Fans keep stating that LvG needs to sort out these injuries and manage them somehow. That is exactly what he is doing by not playing injured players.

We can beat Hull without Shaw, Falcao, Herrera and Rafael. And LvG knows this. Why risk playing with injured players?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    jeez, nevermind... i see nearly everyone is picking valencia and young in their line ups. maybe it's me who's in the twilight zone.
    We'd all love for Shaw and Raf to play, but they are injured.
    Who would you play instead of Young and Valencia?

goin4glory

Well what do you expect when rafael, Jones, evans, Shaw, rojo, blind are all injured? Anyways, after that first 30 minutes before we got going our defence did well and arsenal didn't really create many chances. We don't have a choice but to play something similar to that considering everyone is injured.

Agree on RvP, useless these days.
    Shaw wasn't injured. We started the game with a back 5. The first half looked like our terrible period vs Leicester and Arsenal really should have been at least 2-0 up. The entire set up seemed like madness to me, RVP and Rooney were incapable of pressing their defenders due to age/lack of mobility and a similar story with Carrick/Fellaini not pushing up on the Arsenal CM's but despite that we decided to play a high line vs Ox/Welbeck/Sanchez? I lost count of how many times a simple pass into the channels completely opened us up. You can't play a high line with no pressure on the ball and vs that front 3 and our inexperienced back line it was suicidal.

Lot's of fans are happy to ignore the performance when results go the right way but that mentality is one of the reasons we've fallen so far behind the top clubs in Europe. Bad performances happen for a reason and if you came up against a Madrid/Bayern in that type of form you'd get torn to shreds.

CM21

Like those lineups. Herrera for Hull, then bring the muscle back in for Stoke. Would love to see what happens if the Stoke thugs try to kick lumps out of Fellaini.
    This video got linked in another thread :devil:

mufc1996

I hope Wilson starts, I've watched him a lot for the u21s and it's clear to me he's at his best when he starts games. He isn't an impact sub, because whenever I've watched him play he usually takes 5 to 10 minutes to get involved in the game.

I also hope herrera starts, it's really annoying that it's been 5 weeks in a row where he's played no football. I'm not buying the van gaal doesn't rate him nonsense. Because he put him straight back in the team when he was barley fit, and everyone knows van gaal doesn't do that. He's also a quality player, so again I'm not buying the nonsense that van gaal doesn't rate him.

Luke shaw will probably be out for a couple of months. So I don't know why he's in everyone team. wishful thinking maybe?

My team

De gea

Rafa
    McNair
    Smalling
    Blackett

Carrick
    Fellaini
    Di maria

Herrera
    Rooney
    Wilson

442 diamond

I fully expect this not to be the team, herrera and Wilson not to start, and us to play 5 at the back.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

You're one of my favourite posters here (and you're Canadian as well), but you lose major, major marks for starting with valencia and young. i saw what they did last weekend, and while they did a job defensively against Arsenal... that's just not at all necessary against Hull as far as I'm concerned.
    Haha I'm only picking them and a 3-5-2 because everyone else is injured. Meant to say what I think we'll see rather then hope as well.

bosnian_red

Shaw wasn't injured. We started the game with a back 5. The first half looked like our terrible period vs Leicester and Arsenal really should have been at least 2-0 up. The entire set up seemed like madness to me, RVP and Rooney were incapable of pressing their defenders due to age/lack of mobility and a similar story with Carrick/Fellaini not pushing up on the Arsenal CM's but despite that we decided to play a high line vs Ox/Welbeck/Sanchez? I lost count of how many times a simple pass into the channels completely opened us up. You can't play a high line with no pressure on the ball and vs that front 3 and our inexperienced back line it was suicidal.

Lot's of fans are happy to ignore the performance when results go the right way but that mentality is one of the reasons we've fallen so far behind the top clubs in Europe. Bad performances happen for a reason and if you came up against a Madrid/Bayern in that type of form you'd get torn to shreds.
    We didn't change our set up after the first 30 minutes, it was the same thing. The players just got their shit together. That's why I'm not blaming the formation and set up. How can you say it was the problem because suddenly during the match it started working as it should, we werent leaking chances and we were counter attacking well? It clearly isn't the set up that was the problem. Just the players never got going until after like 20-30 minutes. Periods like that happen no matter the formation if then players don't get started. So like I said, you can't blame the set up when its just individual errors causing the problems, especially as with the same set up it improved once the individuals started playing better.

Also Shaw got injured after like what, 5 minutes? Played on for a few minutes after wards but still. The set up was obviously to sit back and play on the break as we did time and time again under Fergie away to arsenal. And it worked, like it did many times before. You're not going to go there and dominate possession, especially not with our injuries.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    We didn't change our set up after the first 30 minutes, it was the same thing. The players just got their shit together. That's why I'm not blaming the formation and set up. How can you say it was the problem because suddenly during the match it started working as it should, we werent leaking chances and we were counter attacking well? It clearly isn't the set up that was the problem. Just the players never got going until after like 20-30 minutes. Periods like that happen no matter the formation if then players don't get started. So like I said, you can't blame the set up when its just individual errors causing the problems, especially as with the same set up it improved once the individuals started playing better.

Also Shaw got injured after like what, 5 minutes? Played on for a few minutes after wards but still. The set up was obviously to sit back and play on the break as we did time and time again under Fergie away to arsenal. And it worked, like it did many times before. You're not going to go there and dominate possession, especially not with our injuries.
    We have always hit Arsenal on the break, that is, as you say how Fergie played it, ever since Wenger has been there. It was boring, but necessary against this type of side. It is not necessary against others. That is what LvG has to learn.

bosnian_red

We have always hit Arsenal on the break, that is, as you say how Fergie played it, ever since Wenger has been there. It was boring, but necessary against this type of side. It is not necessary against others. That is what LvG has to learn.
    That's what I'm saying, it wasa shit performance for 30 minutes, but after that, standard United vs arsenal really. I wasn't sure if van Gaal would change approaches and adapt like that or just stick with dominating possession, and I'm glad he adapted to beat arsenal. Its not a poor performance because we didn't have possession, it was just a change of tactic.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
    I hope Wilson starts, I've watched him a lot for the u21s and it's clear to me he's at his best when he starts games. He isn't an impact sub, because whenever I've watched him play he usually takes 5 to 10 minutes to get involved in the game.

I also hope herrera starts, it's really annoying that it's been 5 weeks in a row where he's played no football. I'm not buying the van gaal doesn't rate him nonsense. Because he put him straight back in the team when he was barley fit, and everyone knows van gaal doesn't do that. He's also a quality player, so again I'm not buying the nonsense that van gaal doesn't rate him.

Luke shaw will probably be out for a couple of months. So I don't know why he's in everyone team. wishful thinking maybe?

My team

De gea

Rafa
    McNair
    Smalling
    Blackett

Carrick
    Fellaini
    Di maria

Herrera
    Rooney
    Wilson

442 diamond

I fully expect this not to be the team, herrera and Wilson not to start, and us to play 5 at the back.
    Well, I don't think it is that he doesn't rate Herrera. I think it is more to do with the fact that Fellaini has done quite well and he is keen to give him the opportunity to keep proving himself. I think Fellaini would feel hard done by if he got taken out after his run of performances. Herrera will get back in eventually.

goin4glory

The plan may have been to counter attack but it certainly wasn't to sit deep and do it. We played with a very high line which got regularly exposed by a simple pass into the channels or between the CB's. Even when we were 2-0 up the Arsenal goal came from a simple lob over the top that even Giroud could get on the end of. In all the years we did it with Fergie never did we get so thoroughly outplayed and give them so many gilt edged chances, the entire idea of sitting back is to be compact and limit the chances they have but they walked the ball into the final 3rd with ease and had they got the goal or 2 the entire game dynamic has changed, I see no real difference in that level of performance than the one vs Leicester except Leicester were clinical.

You can't let the result get in the way of the fact we have major problems and if you regularly allow sides to have 20+ shots and 12 corners in a game you'll find yourself getting beaten plenty. First half was arguably our worst performance of the season.

Semir_Tuce

Win the next two games and the confidence will be sky high before the Southampton trip. The lineup will mostly be decided by who is fit, if Shaw and Rafael recover then we can expect a 4-3-3 other wise..it will be 3-5-2 again.

------------------------------DDG-------------------------------------

-------------Mcnair-----------Smalling---------Blackett-------------

Valencia--------------------Carrick----------------------------Young

-------Fellaini--------------Rooney--------------Di Maria------------

---------------------------Doesn't exist--------------------------

Subs: Falcao coming on to make it 11 vs 11,
    Fletcher for whichever defender gets injured.

Would love to see Herrera instead Fellaini and in front Falcao

mufc1996

Well, I don't think it is that he doesn't rate Herrera. I think it is more to do with the fact that Fellaini has done quite well and he is keen to give him the opportunity to keep proving himself. I think Fellaini would feel hard done by if he got taken out after his run of performances. Herrera will get back in eventually.
    I agree. But He can play both of them, he doesn't need to drop fellaini to play Herrera.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 479 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw