Manchester United vs Lens (Sat 5th August, 12:45 UK time)

Westerkerk

Just got back from the game. First half was pretty poor, very wasteful in possession, but thought Garnacho and Fernandes looked quite sharp. Could only laugh at the Mount miss - was harder to miss than score. We were better for a period of 20 mins in second half, then dropped off. I hope it was just a case of "only a friendly" and not indicative of what's to come because we were frankly very poor.

Best part of the game was Onana being lobbed - again - a few times in the first half I looked over and thought, "where's our keeper"? Only to see him kicking his heels at the half way line. A few of us were talking about about how likely he was to be lobbed if we lost the ball in a silly area. 60 seconds later, the balls in the back of the net.

Have to say the few hundred away fans that came to Old Trafford really did their team proud.

zaafi

I can not believe so fast the minds of fans can change. Until his injury Eriksen was seen as one of our most important players last season. Now he "can't run" and other silly comments like that.

Club:
Eriksen: 582 games 112 goals = 5,19 goals each season.
Mount: 281 games 58 goals = 4,84 goals each season.
He was one of our most important players because we've had Fred and McTominay there for years. Of course Eriksen is an upgrade in terms of possession and passing. Being one of our most important players in our team does not mean he is good enough to compete with City.

And the key words are in your own post: "until his injury". He has gotten worse after it, and isn't a very quick or mobile midfielder. He tires quickly, but that doesn't mean I don't think he has a place in the squad.

How many goals Eriksen has scored in the past isn't really relevant now, is it? Eriksen is 31 and Mount is 24. Mount is clearly more of a goal threat than Eriksen is right now. He doesn't even play the same position he did for Tottenham.

OrcaFat

Just got back from the game. First half was pretty poor, very wasteful in possession, but thought Garnacho and Fernandes looked quite sharp. Could only laugh at the Mount miss - was harder to miss than score. We were better for a period of 20 mins in second half, then dropped off. I hope it was just a case of "only a friendly" and not indicative of what's to come because we were frankly very poor.

Best part of the game was Onana being lobbed - again - a few times in the first half I looked over and thought, "where's our keeper"? Only to see him kicking his heels at the half way line. A few of us were talking about about how likely he was to be lobbed if we lost the ball in a silly area. 60 seconds later, the balls in the back of the net.

Have to say the few hundred away fans that came to Old Trafford really did their team proud.
To me, we looked like a re-modelled team playing a friendly. We have some very good players there and at times they showed it. I put the shoddy elements of the performance down to teething. With more drilling and some competitive matches it will come together imo.

Wing Attack Plan R

Entertaining game. First half lob aside, there was no danger. Dalot presented the ball with a bad 10 yard pass, and then it's in the back of the net.

Garnacho looked different class today.

Mount had a comical miss but probably did the most running out of anyone, constantly breaking up play, then making forward runs to receive a pass (that usually did not arrive). He's really good at transitions, first time passes around the corner. I think he's going to became a fan favorite.

Antony + Dalot on the right is leaving something to be desired. Neither Dalot nor AWB seem to be the ideal partner because neither are interested in running on the outside as decoy, or event to receive the ball out there. So our attacks consist of Antony then checking back to the fullback. Antony had a good game though, he's a fighter.

Bruno with a couple of passes that were ridiculous. When he's on, he's on fire.

Sancho on the wing does nothing. He looked useful through the middle as a false 9 but on the wing he just doesn't seem like half the player. I'd find a way to get Pellistri in the side instead.

Can't wait to see how Hojland transforms that front 3. There's good competition for places, slightly different skill sets among the options, should provide a key for any lock.

Lens fans showing how it's done, fair play to them.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Everybody is going to hate me for saying this, but this is a classic Oleball win. Two counter-attacks and one set piece. Mind you I have only seen the highlights, not the whole game so might be wrong.
Been my concern last season and throughout pre season, doesn't look like changing. We rely heavily on counters and balls over the top from deep. Any time a team drops off and defends deep, we look thoroughly average. It's the same issues we had under Ole, just with a mutch better team on paper.

Wing Attack Plan R

Didn't notice this earlier, but do Lens players really have the McDonald's sponsorship on their buttcheeks? :lol:
Was that a special kit for a preseason friendly? I counted 8 sponsors.
2 McDonalds Ms on the back of each leg (suppose this could be a double placement of one sponsor),
1 sponsor front left of shorts,
1 main sponsor in the center of the shirt,
1 sponsor on each breast,
2 sponsors on the back (one above and one below the number),
1 on the left sleeve.

Do all French clubs have this many? It's almost NASCAR. They don't seem to have all that shit in photos of them playing last season, so maybe it's just some preseason thing.

lex talionis

Tale of two halves. Great to see us much more incisive in the last third in the second half against a much more decent opponent than I expected. Clean up the keeper who thinks he’s a midfielder and bring in Amrabat and we can put in a proper title challenge this season.

pascell

Tale of two halves. Great to see us much more incisive in the last third in the second half against a much more decent opponent than I expected. Clean up the keeper who thinks he’s a midfielder and bring in Amrabat and we can put in a proper title challenge this season.
Think you need to tamper your expectations, we're not mounting a serious title challenge this season. I think top 4 comfortably again would be good.

Wing Attack Plan R

There is 8 days from tomorrow until 1st league match.

When this Dublin match was sold it was the last fixed preseason game with the expectation that we'd get what was on show today. Dublin is 30mins flight and Aviva is 20mins from Airport.

Rest has nothing to do with it. 8 days is plenty.

We've been scammed by the PLC by fixing Lens for today weeks after Dublin was advertised as the Red Devils coming to town.

fecking gouged
Better than what the San Diego fans got with the Wrexham game.

JediSith

I’ve seen the lob on Twitter. I actually think it shows a lot about Onana’s character and ability. 1) how much effort he put into running back 2) he actually came close to saving it.

greater wall

Bit surprised we keep seeing Forson, he's a decent player but not one I'd have expected to get any meaningful first team appearances.
He started showing some potential last season in the reserves. I remember thinking that he has started to emerge as someone who could play for the first team. Looks to have become a bit taller. Haven't shown much in the preseason. Hopefully he can kick on once he gets more playing opportunities.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Amrabat will be deputizing for Casemiro, not Mount. They don't play the same position.
Think he's suggesting we'll change the system. I think we'll need to, definitely for certain teams. We look too open in midfield and Casemiro needs assistance protecting the defence. He can't do it on his own as he doesn't have the mobility.

Westerkerk

I didn't go to a single game last season as I'm mostly based in Amsterdam. But one thing was clear for me today, seeing a game live really brings our strengths and weaknesses to life.

Our right side is a worry. Bruno is a different class of player on and off the ball.

Hester_manc

Good game against a team that finish no 2 in their league, just 1 point after PSG

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Amrabat will be deputizing for Casemiro, not Mount. They don't play the same position.
Yep, that's what would happen in the current system which will be the one we will predominatly play.

But we could also see a different shape adopted for some games (particularly tougher ones), with Amrabat used alongside Casemiro as part of a deeper double pivot, possibly with one of Bruno/Mount shifted out wide.

It's not like ETH is a manager who sticks rigidly to one thing, he'd likely enjoy having the option to adjust approach for certain games with different profiles of players.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Moan moan moan whinge whinge whinge moan whinge moan whinge moan moan whinge whinge moan whinge moan whinge moan moan moan whinge whinge whinge Chris Waddell

eselfor

Been my concern last season and throughout pre season, doesn't look like changing. We rely heavily on counters and balls over the top from deep. Any time a team drops off and defends deep, we look thoroughly average. It's the same issues we had under Ole, just with a mutch better team on paper.
I’m yet to see a team which doesn’t struggle against the low block. That’s why you need to score early or first. Mount converts that chance or Garnacho a bit earlier (admittedly difficult chance) and the opponent has to chase the game, leaving space to exploit. City do that all the time. We need to be clinical in front of goal.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Clearly if we got Amrabat it wouldn’t be just a simple rotation option for Casemiro. It allows for tactical diversity - where in some games it’ll be better to have two holding midfielders and one attacking midfielder, rather than the other way round. That’s why I think he’s a good signing - 1) because he adds strength in depth to cover Casemiro but also 2) because he allows for a different approach. Of course you could say we could do this with McT or Fred but the reality is they would significantly reduce our quality - whereas with Amrabat I’d feel like quality is still good in either option.

Wing Attack Plan R

Think he's suggesting we'll change the system. I think we'll need to, definitely for certain teams. We look too open in midfield and Casemiro needs assistance protecting the defence. He can't do it on his own as he doesn't have the mobility.
That might be it. I think Casemiro is fine as a single pivot - but not for 90 minutes. I could see Mount alongside Casemiro more than Amrabat, but other than City or in the CL, when are we going to need to set up as 2 holding or defensive mids? Arsenal maybe. I think we are going to have a lot of tactical flexibility, especially when Hojland is up to speed, but I don't see us sitting with 2 deep in a counter-attacking way. We could, of course, I just don't see it and it doesn't seem like what EtH is going for. We shall see! Either way, I think Amrabat would be a good signing.

Yep, that's what would happen in the current system which will be the one we will predominatly play.

But we could also see a different shape adopted for some games (particularly tougher ones), with Amrabat used alongside Casemiro as part of a deeper double pivot, possibly with one of Bruno/Mount shifted out wide.

It's not like ETH is a manager who sticks rigidly to one thing, he'd likely enjoy having the option to adjust approach for certain games with different profiles of players.
EtH is kinda rigid in his thinking - he wants players who are not 100% tied to a positional role. We see it when we transition out of defense. Licha steps up and we become a back 3. Licha effectively becomes a holding mid alongside Casemiro, which allows one or both of Mount and Bruno to break forward.

My understanding is that EtH likes positional flexibility, with each player comfortable with the ball, playing through the press, and interchanging/swapping assignments as needed during the game. I don't see us using a double pivot as a preferred option, except maybe in the CL, but who knows.

Either way (single pivot, double pivot, combo of something else), I am feeling eager for this season to start. I think we've got a real team shaping up without any of the weaknesses we've had to endure recently (e.g., defenders who treat the ball like it's a ticking bomb, midfielders who can't find a teammate, keepers who are nailed to their line, fullbacks who don't overlap, no one willing to take on a player when they have the ball, etc.).

TheRedHearted

Was wondering about the high line a couple days ago. What stops people from chilling city? But regardless i knew he would get caught out. Happy it happened during the pre season.
I’ve seen the lob on Twitter. I actually think it shows a lot about Onana’s character and ability. 1) how much effort he put into running back 2) he actually came close to saving it.
Hopefully he learned from it. We aren’t strong enough at possession

justsomebloke

I thought overall this was very good. And, for the first time in ages, that you could sort of see the contours of something great - a team where it's not just 4-5 players having a good day and the rest filling in the blanks, but one where every player contributes something specific to a fully functional whole. Not quite there yet, but you can see the outline. Dalot the only one who sticks out like a sore thumb in that picture.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Clearly if we got Amrabat it wouldn’t be just a simple rotation option for Casemiro. It allows for tactical diversity - where in some games it’ll be better to have two holding midfielders and one attacking midfielder, rather than the other way round. That’s why I think he’s a good signing - 1) because he adds strength in depth to cover Casemiro but also 2) because he allows for a different approach. Of course you could say we could do this with McT or Fred but the reality is they would significantly reduce our quality - whereas with Amrabat I’d feel like quality is still good in either option.
I think, if we play Rashford as LW and Hojlund as striker, we do need Case - Amrabat at the base to allow Rashford focusing on attack.

RedDevilQuebecois

Was that a special kit for a preseason friendly? I counted 8 sponsors.
2 McDonalds Ms on the back of each leg (suppose this could be a double placement of one sponsor),
1 sponsor front left of shorts,
1 main sponsor in the center of the shirt,
1 sponsor on each breast,
2 sponsors on the back (one above and one below the number),
1 on the left sleeve.

Do all French clubs have this many? It's almost NASCAR. They don't seem to have all that shit in photos of them playing last season, so maybe it's just some preseason thing.
I can't tell until I see it in Ligue 1, but I noticed that French clubs can be quite ridiculous in the number of sponsors on their kits.

Fitchett

I can't tell until I see it in Ligue 1, but I noticed that French clubs can be quite ridiculous in the number of sponsors on their kits.
My lad worked in Le Mans for a year and he told me that French clubs had different sponsors on their shirts for each match. I went over there for a week in 2008, and saw Lens nick an extra time 5-4 win over Le Mans, in a French League Cup Quarter Final match. The standing ticket was £5.