Manchester United vs Lens (Sat 5th August, 12:45 UK time)

Dannn411

Woke up in the second half and won the game but the performance as a whole still looked disjointed and not in control. Don't think Mount and Bruno can play together. Both far too wasteful with the ball and play too far forward. One has to sit for the other. We need someone alongside Casemiro and not in front of Casemiro. So either we quickly sell Fred and Donny and whoever else and go and get Amrabat or reintroduce Fred if he isn't leaving.

NZT-One

I'm not sure what you mean by 'came up with'. He had clear favoritism for some players and would select them after weeks of their underperforming. Stories from reliable journos came out left and right confirming this and how it was one of the biggest reasons for dressing room discontent.
Came up with means that they put those things as frontrunners in their criticism because the football, that was an issue, was producing a bit of results nonetheless so was often not easy to criticize. And even if I would agree with you that favoritism is the most plausible explanation for things we have seen, it is nothing more than a (still plausible) assumption. So calling it the "main problem" is just wrong in my eyes.

This obviously leads to a roll-on effect on the football, which I agree fundamentally was underwhelming and needed a change.
Chicken and egg issue, I guess. But don't think we are far away from each other on that.

Comparing ETH's football to Ole's is pure nonsense though. Most high pressing systems have many of their goals scored through counterattacks. That doesn't make it the same as Ole's system, which was based on sitting deep with a low line - the complete opposite to what we're doing now.
Hmm. Well I guess we have to define, what everybody understands by counter attacks. A "high pressing team" creates high turnovers. Wouldn't call that counter attacks. And while our pressing looks certainly more lively this year, I still don't see us engaged in dominating other teams as a high block. We have Bruno and now Mount who "press" in the meaning of charging people all the time. For me, a press is something coordinated and orchestrated by the whole team. This is what we were lacking since 5 years (or longer) and where we went so off the boil having past it and old fashioned managers. It is getting better, not going to deny that, but the 2nd part of 2nd half today we played mostly like Ole would have played. And why wouldn't we - we were 2 goals up. Scored by two counter attacks and a bit of a lucky bounce after a set piece. No need to get defensive here, not meant to be criticism, but I think, the visible result is still pretty close to what we would have seen under Ole. (In pre-season Oles teams played well too by the way. Even playing out from the back).

Calling it Ole ball isn't correct. Ole Ball was us choosing to play a mid block to protect our backline, then spring counter attacks on the break, with Rashford being the main and sometimes only outlet.
Before we get further into it: I wouldn't call it Ole ball. It a) isn't a technical term where everybody understands the exact same thing and b) I only noted a certain resemblence of the football we've seen under Ole. It was also focussed on transitions and our goals often looked similar to todays goals.

There are about 3 major differences:

1. We are pressing high and effectively. We made it impossible for Lens to play out and they struggled to truly get into our midfield.
2. We are better at keeping the ball across our backline
3. Where Ole attempted to consistently try and play through the middle, in possession our aim is to try and get the ball out wide.
about 1. - would probably be a bit less absolute but I agree, there is a clear improvement visible. It looks more organized than last season, still a long way to go to call it a strength of the team. But I absolutely can see that this is a personal subjective stand.

about 2. True. Which is great to see. Lets see how this will stand when the league is going but that certainly is the aspect of our game, that ETH focussed on last year, with clear and visible improvements.

about 3. Not sure if I would subscribe to this. Not sure if Ole gave the players any objectives other than "release it quickly". Felt also like he gave his attackers freedom to position themselves where they felt they should be. Which then led to us bunching up in the middle. So all in all, I agree with the team making better use of the space now, but I don't know if this even was a topic under Ole.

The effect of these differences are clear. Us consistently winning the ball high provides us with the ability to play in the opposition's half most of the time, whilst also keeping them away from ours ( apart from the last 20 minutes of the game). It's also far more difficult for the opposition to play through us due to this, because whereas last season, a strong press could be beaten due to players like Martial, Eriksen and Sancho not having the energy or agility to press consistently, in addition to De Gea forcing our defence to slightly deeper due to his inability to sweep and unwillingness to play on the ball, now we can sustain that press and force the opposition to lose possession early.
I see where you're coming from. But it sounds pretty definitive considering it is based on a few games in pre-season. But I agree, in theory we should be better with that. Lets hope we can bring it into the season. For me, I'd probably try to make us a little more compact. Still feel that defense and offense are a little to far away from each other, but considering new players and especially a completely different kind of keeper will take some time.

Under Ole we also had a penchant for overplaying at times due to us trying to be overly precise since we were constantly trying to play through the middle. Quickly moving the ball and playing through the flanks stretches teams and gives our wide men opportunities to attack. Right now, a lack of focal point has meant that there hasn't really been an option in the box to present multiple attacking options using this method, leading to our wide mean using more shooting opportunities, which they haven't been great at.
see above

It's more similar to Liverpool, particularly their 2020 version that the expected Guardiola model.
Hmm. Not completely convinced of that but lets say it like this - if we can manage to play like we did in the first part of the 2nd half for most games during the season, than I am the first one to praise ETHs changes. But as you said, even the 2nd part of 2nd half looked different already (for good reasons, not meant as a dig) so it is tricky to extrapolate things into the future.

Last edited:

croadyman

Woke up in the second half and won the game but the performance as a whole still looked disjointed and not in control. Don't think Mount and Bruno can play together. Both far too wasteful with the ball and play too far forward. One has to sit for the other. We need someone alongside Casemiro and not in front of Casemiro. So either we quickly sell Fred and Donny and whoever else and go and get Amrabat or reintroduce Fred if he isn't leaving.
Yeah I don't want to be that guy who goes in on Mount like the media and some fans are doing

Dannn411

Yeah I don't want to be that guy who goes in on Mount like the media and some fans are doing
He's a good player. But just not enough room for both he and Bruno in our midfield right now but he'll be a great deputy to Bruno at CAM.

Lyng

Have to say I honestly enjoyed that. For every match you can see the players adapting to each other. Onana is such a vast improvement to our play that it will be a net positive for us. The goal today was mostly down to a Dalot error, but we scored 3 so no reason to complain.

quadrant

Thought that was a good game. I actually like it when the opposition give you a decent match in pre-season, far more useful than if they'd bent over and let us win 5-0 at a canter.

RuudTom83

Good to have football back...can't wait for Wolves next weekend.

Note to self and the Cafe...try to enjoy watching United...its not all bad you know.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I couldn't watch the game. Did we play with Case as dmc and Mount and Bruno as attacking midfielders or Mount played deeper with Casemiro? As number 8?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Likely starting team tomorrow?

Tom Heaton
Wan Bissaka lindelof Maguire Williams
Eriksen De Beek Mejbri
Pellistri Sancho
Martial
That team can probably finish mid table in PL if they never have injuries/fatigue. It's actually decent.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Does that mean they should not input into the quality that should be on show?
Over having the best start to the season possible no. Would you rather we made the first team travel uncessarilly and lose the 1st game of the season, or give them as much rest as possible and boost our chances?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just noted Lens finished 2nd last season and only 1 point off PSG. So they're not exactly a mid table fodder French side.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Just home from the game, was fun, tough match against good opposition, exactly what was needed.

Massive shout out to all the Lens fans that were there, they had an absolute blast all game, brilliant support from them, two thumbs up.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
That's the spirit!
Come on, it's only pre season
I bet you are fun at parties. Look at how we started last season, we have won most pre season games for years. This year we actually played some good teams.
One thing never changes here during match day - the moaning !!
Wait, am I not doing it right? I thought doom and gloom was the whole point of pre season on the caf?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Over having the best start to the season possible no. Would you rather we made the first team travel uncessarilly and lose the 1st game of the season, or give them as much rest as possible and boost our chances?
There is 8 days from tomorrow until 1st league match.

When this Dublin match was sold it was the last fixed preseason game with the expectation that we'd get what was on show today. Dublin is 30mins flight and Aviva is 20mins from Airport.

Rest has nothing to do with it. 8 days is plenty.

We've been scammed by the PLC by fixing Lens for today weeks after Dublin was advertised as the Red Devils coming to town.

fecking gouged

Bosnian red

That feeling when I watch UTD is priceless. I hate summer break, most difficult time in the year!

Still need to see will Mount play everytime alongside Bruno, how Hojlund will play, will we have Amrabat alongside Casemiro, i am sure ETH will set up the best team in order to be the force in transition game particulary. My favorite on watch player is Garnacho, i really want him to be a regular starter, really like his skils...

Onana is great goalkeeper who is involved in the game and this goal today will not change my opinion, he was where he should be, not his fault.

Can't wait for the next weekend. Simply can't wait for the match...GGMU

Reactions: Penna

Fr. Todd Unctious

Any word of the full make up of the travelling squad apart from today's subs obviously. Might have fecking known I'd end up seeing Maguire rather than the likes of Cas, Bruno, Martinenz.. :mad:

RedOrange

Reading some of the critical comments in this thread makes you think we didn't just easily beat a team that lost the French title by only 1 pt to PSG.
Many of the posters here just love it when things don't go well so they can start braying for the manager's head. They liked the old manager better or voted to hire someone else in a poll after the last manager was sacked and they want to be vindicated.

Hester_manc

You can't be competing for Premier League titles with a midfielder that can't run. It is really as simple as that. Mount will improve us, and he's a far better goal threat.
I can not believe so fast the minds of fans can change. Until his injury Eriksen was seen as one of our most important players last season. Now he "can't run" and other silly comments like that.

Club:
Eriksen: 582 games 112 goals = 5,19 goals each season.
Mount: 281 games 58 goals = 4,84 goals each season.

OrcaFat

He's a good player. But just not enough room for both he and Bruno in our midfield right now but he'll be a great deputy to Bruno at CAM.
Give it a chance because you’re going to see those two guys together. Forever.

OrcaFat

I can not believe so fast the minds of fans can change. Until his injury Eriksen was seen as one of our most important players last season. Now he "can't run" and other silly comments like that.

Club:
Eriksen: 582 games 112 goals = 5,19 goals each season.
Mount: 281 games 58 goals = 4,84 goals each season.
Eriksen was often covering more ground than anyone in the team. He’s an extremely good player. He changed the way the whole team played, very much for the better.

However, don’t tell me you haven’t noticed how badly he tired in the second half of matches. This was happening before his injury. At that point nobody was saying he can’t run but we were saying he can’t play 90 minutes.

He is that good that I, among others, was saying we needed a plan to get 60 good minutes out of him and not expect more - have a game plan which includes replacing Eriksen early in the second half. Most of us didn’t say bench him or bin him. After his injury he was mostly off the pace from the first minute, couldn’t seem to get on the ball, couldn’t get himself in position to receive it. We can still hope that a good rest and a good preseason will have fixed him but the chances have to be against him.

Shiva87

Don't understand why he's ahead of Pellistri personally.
I don’t think he is. I think Pellistri starts tomorrow - and most players who start tomorrow are going to be on the subs bench against Wolves.

Tomorrow it could be Hoijland, Pellistri and Sancho/ Forsun who start up front.

Blood Mage

The balance in midfield is wrong. This experiment of playing two no.10s in front of a lone 6 is never going to take off.

Last edited:

Shiva87

It sure as hell looks pretty similar to an Ole team right now. What you say apart from it, I'd share the observation. But shifting the ball quickly was exactly what we did under Ole. And back then it was mostly Bruno who was trigger happy. Today it has been Bruno as well and getting praise from being sharp. Releasing the ball early is his thing, it is a good thing, lets see where we can go from there, Control is an unlikely destination though. Bruno and Rashford are built for transitions, they are common denominators in this team. If ETH makes the decision to built around those, that is great - I just hope he has a plan how to score when teams will shut down shops, because that is the most obvious solution to get anything from "the best team in transition" (whoever we are that or not).
I don’t get the comparisons with Ole. It was very different to watch today. Ole’s teams were reactive, sat in a low / mid block and then attacked on the transition. The expectation was to win the ball back in our own final third, and we would seldom press in the opponent third.

This team (with Rashford and Bruno) being the 2 best players, and now Garnacho playing well, is built for fast transitions and our players can eat up space while dribbling. It’s only logical to set up a team in a way that maximises their abilities.

Under Ten Hag, we are now a proactive team - and we seek to win the ball back as soon as we lose it. I love how we finally seem to have 2-3 players swarm around the ball immediately.

Also our transitions are being created by inviting the opponent high press. Even when we have the ball, we are playing at the back to allow the other team to push up. So when we break through- we have space in the opponent half. This is a manufactured transition, and works very well for us.

I like how our attack and defensive tactics are now lining up, and I think ETH was right about the history of United being similar to this. Shows he is willing to adapt his possession based style (Ajax) to what suits the United fan base and our players.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

The balance in midfield is wrong . This experiment of playing two no.10s in front of a lone 6 is never going to take off.
I think we have to give it a few matches to bed in properly. I’m pretty sure EtH isn’t going to abandon it based on a couple of friendlies.

RedIan

Decent performance. Rashford Anthony and Garnacho looked good. I hardly noticed Mount.onana has brought a whole new dynamic to playing out from the back, we suddenly look confident in that area.

OrcaFat

Nah it will be seen as a failed experiment after a couple of games and then Amrabat will come in for Mount.
Mount has been bought to press high up the pitch. Amrabat won’t do that.

I’m not saying it won’t fail but I think EtH is pretty wedded to the idea of Mount and Bruno ahead of a lone 6. Not sure if they are doing what he is asking them to do but it is a slightly different plan than last season and I assume everyone is supposed to be doing something slightly different. He won’t be expecting it to click immediately, we shouldn’t either.