Manchester United vs Liverpool: right now would you just settle for a draw?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Nope.

A draw would be an ok result but it wouldn't do that much for us or make me that happy. A win would so I'm not taking that off the table.

If we lose, well it's what I kind of expect anyway.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Oh man, if you turn it around. Liverpool suck and we dominate, I would want us to execute them. I don’t think Liverpool are any different.

That said, I just want us to show up and play football like we care. If they do that but lose by 6 goals I don’t care. Just please please please don’t go in definsively like cowards and also lose the match. That’s an awful thought.

Heinzesight

The stars will align and the VAR gods will looks favourably upon us after our bad VAR luck and The Vermin getting lucky with the VAR shit show. Confident we will get the win.

UnitedChampionsAgain

If we go behind, then I would take a draw, but only then. Just don't know what our lot are going to do to create chances though. I can only see their lot nullifying everything we do. Maybe we can send them home with some nice injuries, long ones.

starman

I obviously see why people are saying it, but no. Look at their previous 5 games (excluding MK Dons)
Lost to Napoli. Sheffield Utd (lucky to win) Chelsea (lucky to win), Salzburg (lucky to win) Leicester (lucky to win)

I think Liverpool are there for the taking, as long as we defend well. However if they do what they did to Salzburg in the first half i dont see any chance of coming back

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Nah, we don’t need another false dawn. One of the worst thing that happened during Ole reign was that miraculous psg victory. A lot of United fan taught that win was deserved, but footballing expert like myself knew that the result was deceptive. Regardless, I rather we lose and play well, rather than win and play like shite.

Marcus

If we roughed them up a lot, make them dread coming out for the second half and draw, that would be ok.

SaintMuppet

Error! Does not compute...

I want United to beat Liverpool every time no matter the circumstances. I refuse to ‘settle’ for anything less!

Of course we may well probably get tonked but settling is out of the question.

it’s Liverpool ffs.

Shadie77

A draw will be the worst possible outcome for us fans. It means we drop points yet again and Ole get to keep his job. We either win or lose this one. I am not taking a draw. Not in a million years.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Honest to God if I was in the trenches with 80% of yous lot i'd write home to Mummy, tell her the Hun has bigger guns than us, apologise for being such a wuss and letting the family down, shoot myself in the foot for effect, then find the biggest white hanky I could get my hands on then walk over the top limping and waving said hanky frantically above my head and surrender.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
With half the team out, and against a full fit Pool who have won 8 out of 8? Who can both blitz teams, and jam lucky one goalers?

That's real faith mate.

With a full team I'd be confident of holding them, but with the best 2 players out, the next one semi fit, Rashford not having looked even half right for 6months, and the defence having to be perfect to keep us in it... then a draw is looking pure glass ceiling stuff.
Mountains are there to be climbed, aren't they?

CallyRed

This could be the start of a return to the 80s, when weren't great then either but always managed to raise our game against them and get a result.

Just a shame we were shit against the smaller sides.

Godfather

No I want a win.

If we can't get that I hope these cnuts give us a spanking so Ole is finally gone.

Jev

Frankly I've gotten to the sadly familiar point where I see no point in us winning and postponing the inevitable sacking of a dud manager who is going to take us nowhere. I'm utterly indifferent.

Eurotrash

No. What I would take is a clear game plan (including attacking ideas), the team giving it their all, and active coaching from Ole. Result is secondary at this point.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s this match that will show, once again, how much trouble we are in. No matter how bad we, City or Liverpool have been in the past, you could always expect the underdog to show some pride and cause an upset when we collided with those two.

Tomorrow, you expect nothing from this squad, just the same nothingness that saw Mourinho sacked.

I wouldn’t take a draw because that means Liverpool bottled their visit to Old Trafford again and we were happy to accept that. I’ll take a performance where Liverpool are put under pressure and not given an easy ride for 90 minutes.

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
Oh really? And remind me again how Napoli lined up against you in the Champions League...
Can't remember. It was a poor game which we dominated until they got that non-penalty. Then VVD made a mistake in extra time. Their 442 gameplan didn't particularly work

Arsenal is a much better example. The problem with 442 against us is this. If you keep your widemen higer up to exploit space behind TAA and Robbo then they aren't tracking back and you are vulnerable to our crosses. In any case Milner, Gin or Hendo usually fill in when our FB's bomb forward. What usually happens is that the as the game progresses, opposition widemen gradually get pushed back to give extra defensive cover against TAA and Robbo and eventually the team gets hemmed in...until we score

The only way that 442 might work is if the opposition has more legs in those areas than TAA and Robbo where they can bomb up and down the field all day to cover and attack. Most teams don't. Utd doesn't

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve 007

As sad as I am to say this and I hope I’m wrong but we’d be lucky to get a draw but I wouldn’t settle for that.

This is a season defining game, if we win and get a little spark before January then add a couple of players, maybe we could challenge for top 4. We need the confidence up and some luck.

It’s a big if.

My prediction for the game is that Rashford and Martial will both start, we’ll play very defensive and try to counter attack with pace, I’m not sure if James is fit but I’d expect him to be in too if he is.

Ziggy Starduster

I’m holding out for Extinction Rebellion to hold some form of protest at the game that means it’s called off.
It’s our best hope of saving a bit of face this weekend and making MOTD almost enjoyable.

meamth

Nah. Risk it all.

It's either 0 - 3 or us winning 2-1.

Draw? Feck off. Attack, attack, attack, points are nothing against Liverpool. We want the win.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It’s clear from your responses that quite a lot of you haven’t been to old Trafford to see a Man Utd vs Liverpool game.

The result could be ANY scoreline. It really could. Old Trafford, despite what all those shitheads at sky might tell you, is a god damn scary place to play if it’s rocking, and it will be on Sunday. That’s the one benefit of our atrocious last few seasons - the fans have a reason to be extra loud.
Does this even apply to us? At our very worst since SAF retired, we lost 3-0 at home to Liverpool and City under Moyes (home) and 4-1 to City away. Last season we lost 3-1 away to both and by the end of last season got dominated by City at home. When do we ever rise to the occasion?

Mr angry

Supports
Bury
They didn't play well against either Arsenal or Leicester and scraped points, Leicester with a soft penalty. I can see something similar, either a 0-0 or 1-1,draw, and a crap boring game. This will postpone anything happening for about another week, then they will lose at Norwich and it all starts again

Eric7C

Nah, we don’t need another false dawn. One of the worst thing that happened during Ole reign was that miraculous psg victory. A lot of United fan taught that win was deserved, but footballing expert like myself knew that the result was deceptive. Regardless, I rather we lose and play well, rather than win and play like shite.
I agree but :lol:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Can't remember. It was a poor game which we dominated until they got that non-penalty. Then VVD made a mistake in extra time. Their 442 gameplan didn't particularly work

Arsenal is a much better example. The problem with 442 against us is this. If you keep your widemen higer up to exploit space behind TAA and Robbo then they aren't tracking back and you are vulnerable to our crosses. In any case Milner, Gin or Hendo usually fill in when our FB's bomb forward. What usually happens is that the as the game progresses, opposition widemen gradually get pushed back to give extra defensive cover against TAA and Robbo and eventually the team gets hemmed in...until we score

The only way that 442 might work is if the opposition has more legs in those areas than TAA and Robbo where they can bomb up and down the field all day to cover and attack. Most teams don't. Utd doesn't
"You don't remember" and "their 442 game plan didn't particularly work"....when you contradict yourself right from the beginning, I know it's going to be a great reply

As for the rest of your reply, you obviously didn't read my post. If you had, you would know that I was talking about a 4-4-2 diamond and that the wide men I was talking about on the counter who could find space behind your fullbacks were our two strikers. Either way, I'm not saying that we will definitely win with this formation. I just think that this is our best shot at getting a result as opposed to the 4-2-3-1 we have been trying to play...