Manchester United vs Liverpool (Tue 12th July, 14:00 UK time) | BANGKOK CENTURY CUP CHAMPIONS

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How can we watch this? Not typically around for friendlies so a bit unfamiliar, sorry if it's already been asked, I assume it's just MUTV but wondered if there was another way..
It's purely MUTV/LFTV on tv, but there may be 'alternative' options closer to kick off if you keep an eye out.

Zippycup

Really looking for this one.
It'll be interesting to see how ten Hag sets up

Long Time Red

It's pretty much nailed to be the line up and formation posted already

----------------DDG
Dalot--Bailly--Lindelof--Shaw
-----------VDB----Fred
Sancho---Bruno--Rashford
--------------Martial
I think you've got most of that correct but why would Dalot play and Maguire wouldn't when they both came back from international duty at the same time?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think you've got most of that correct but why would Dalot play and Maguire wouldn't when they both came back from international duty at the same time?
I think Maguire and a few others (Scotty, Varane?) were carrying niggles.

LInkash

Liverpool's channel has a 2 week free trial but it feels wrong to sign up to that.

red_de_pologne

Interesting. Maybe he’s playing Bailly because he sees him as the closest we have to Martinez right now in terms of his style of play?

So many of those players were poor last season (longer in some cases); it’ll be fascinating to see which ones have already jumped onto the ETH train and are showing signs of coming back to life.
you wish.. Maguire and Varane carrying knocks :rolleyes:

mctrials23

Intrigued to see what a week or so of training will have done for the players. We have had pre-seasons in the past where we look absolutely sublime and then start the season like utter crap so not much to tell but I am still kind of excited.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Something extra special about Bangkok Century Cup Day Morning....the special "cup final" edition of Swap Shop...then over to an early start for Cup Final Grandstand where we see film of the teams having a laugh and a joke in their hotels. The team games of golf where they try and avoid venomous snakes in the Rough and then its time for the celebrity fan interviews where Little and Large joke with the Chuckle Brothers about the big game.

For me though the highlight is always the Goodyear blimp taking pictures of the team coaches from above as they make their way through downtown Bangkok for around 3 hours. Then by the "miracle of television" we go live to Tony Gubba onboard one of the coaches for a particularly stilted interview with Scott McTominay while he plays cards on the coach table. Tony's stereotypical line of questioning about "wee dram" and "celebrating in the streets of Kirkaldy tonight" maybe is a little racist these days but he doesn't have a nasty bone in his body.

Then the teams arrive at the stadium and walk around in their suits before the traditional petting of the subdued Tiger and the emotionally charged singing of "Abide with me...Gangnam Style!"

Whatever the result today, lets hope that Football and it's ever growing expansion into Asian Capital Markets are the true winners!
:drool:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
There is so much negativity on this board it's quite depressing. I will wait and see what effect a new manager has before I start pouring shite on the team. I know we haven't had new signings but the players are for the most part international footballers. That means they are no mugs. They need directon and, above all, confidence. Let's cut them some slack and stop shitting on them at every minute of the day. We need to get behind them; the negativity here seeps into the club if any of the players read this. Naturally, I'm setting myself up for a big fall if they do not perform but I'm willing to wait and hope.
They are now called the Whinging Reds. The good thing is that we optimists are likely to out-live those whingers. So at some point, we will hear less of/from them. ;)

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The result is pretty irrelevant.

Pre-season is about fitness, preparation and integrating players and it always has been. There is not a lot of correlation between the success in pre-season compared with the league campaign so at this point it's just watching the game and trying to see if players are fit and and what style/shape EtH is trying to adopt.

The Manager has a 2-3 year plan to get United back playing attractive football and then winning trophies...what happens in the next 2-3 weeks is just foundation and a learning opportunity.

sglowrider

Pre-season is about fitness, preparation and integrating players and it always has been. There is not a lot of correlation between the success in pre-season compared with the league campaign so at this point it's just watching the game and trying to see if players are fit and and what style/shape EtH is trying to adopt.

The Manager has a 2-3 year plan to get United back playing attractive football and then winning trophies...what happens in the next 2-3 weeks is just foundation and a learning opportunity.
Nice thoughts. But I give the 20% of the caftards here till December before they start turning on ETH.

JB7

Nice thoughts. But I give the 20% of the caftards here till December before they start turning on ETH.
They've already started because he had the audacity to not change captain. I wouldn't imagine anyone cares what people on here think, positive or negative.

Revaulx

They are now called the Whinging Reds. The good thing is that we optimists are likely to out-live those whingers. So at some point, we will hear less of/from them. ;)
I’m a hard bitten sceptic myself.

Right now I honestly believe you don’t need to be an optimist to be able to recognise that United is in a better place than it’s been for many years.

laughtersassassin

They've already started because he had the audacity to not change captain. I wouldn't imagine anyone cares what people on here think, positive or negative.
People are allowed disagree with a decision without being described as turning on the manager.

sglowrider

I’m a hard bitten sceptic myself.

Right now I honestly believe you don’t need to be an optimist to be able to recognise that United is in a better place than it’s been for many years.
Sure. But you need to take pleasure in the start of a new project. Re-birth. Phoenix or Redemption for some. Why harp or hold on to the past? This is probably the first time we actually have a proper rebuild with so many players released or will be leaving. No more legacy players.

ETH will have as good a chance to succeed as any of the managers in the past. Arnold and Murtough are betting their careers on it being successful after the clusterfeck that was Woodward.

Just enjoy the ride -- not the destination.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I suspect with the weather and being the first match it'll be a bit of a slog.

Some players only getting 30 minutes, the team rotate at half time etc.

Will still be nice to see if the team have been able to take anything on board yet.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

It's not pretty irrelevant - it's totally irrelevant.

We could win 5-0 or lose 5-0, wouldnt make a bit of difference!

Big Andy

Bloke
Is it the “Jose wasn’t backed” brigade?
Its the same people who hate Ole, Ralf and seemingly everything United do, either good or bad. Erik is now a "Glazer puppet" for making Maguire captain.

MUFC OK

At this stage all I ask is that Mctominay is exiled to the bench in an indication of things to come this season.

kps88

It's not pretty irrelevant - it's totally irrelevant.

We could win 5-0 or lose 5-0, wouldnt make a bit of difference!
An extreme result either way could make a bit of difference to be fair. Not that it would give any indication of where we're at as a team. But we have a lot of out of form players that need to start slowly building up their confidence and form. Losing 5-0 with Maguire having a mare at the back or winning 5-0 with Rashford scoring a hattrick would make a tiny bit of difference.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

I really hate this attitude, and I hope its not one the players have. Granted the result of a friendly isn't the most important thing, but we should approach every game as must win. Theres nothing quite like momentum and confidence in football.

Revaulx

Sure. But you need to take pleasure in the start of a new project. Re-birth. Phoenix or Redemption for some. Why harp or hold on to the past? This is probably the first time we actually have a proper rebuild with so many players released or will be leaving. No more legacy players.

ETH will have as good a chance to succeed as any of the managers in the past. Arnold and Murtough are betting their careers on it being successful after the clusterfeck that was Woodward.

Just enjoy the ride -- not the destination.
Oh I agree. And I am enjoying the ride.

The point is, all the good things you mention can be attributed to hard cold logic. Woodward gone; Arnold clearly setting out to change things and shift the focus back onto football; players being targeted for the right reasons*: these are real actions that are really taking place and are likely (not guaranteed, obvs) to improve things. Even a hard-bitten sceptic can see that. It’s those who refuse to acknowledge the changes that are the fanciful ones.

* I’m still a bit of a sceptic where the execution of the changes is concerned. Aside from the De Jong saga, which the club seem to have handled as well as could be expected in the circumstances, I do think it’s disappointing that only one signing has been secured in time for pre-season.

Robindinho

It's pretty much nailed to be the line up and formation posted already

----------------DDG
Dalot--Bailly--Lindelof--Shaw
-----------VDB----Fred
Sancho---Bruno--Rashford
--------------Martial
So, 2nd half XI maybe...

Heaton

Laird AWB Tuanzebe Malacia

Garner/McT Hannibal

Iqbal

Elanga Amad Pellistri

Others are Telles, Savage, Chong and Garnacho.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I really hate this attitude, and I hope its not one the players have. Granted the result of a friendly isn't the most important thing, but we should approach every game as must win. Theres nothing quite like momentum and confidence in football.
How do you approach a game as must win while flipping the whole team at HT / playing a bunch of kids for a run out?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
How do you approach a game as must win while flipping the whole team at HT / playing a bunch of kids for a run out?
Why can't each of those kids approach it individually as a must win? What's wrong with having that attitude towards every game you play?

Revaulx

It’s irrelevant in terms of the football they will be playing in the forthcoming season, certainly.

In terms of getting fans, the press and the Glazers on board the ETH train, a result against our biggest rivals isn’t irrelevant at all. I agree it isn’t sensible, but there’s no getting away from it.