Kick-off
Fri, 26 December 2014 @ 3:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 54 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

NessunDorma

It's still a problem when none of them have pace, and it's still not a balanced forward line. We have had better forward lines in the past then the current one, it will do to get us a top 4, but it's Not a forward line that should continue next season
    Amazing. Two years ago we'd have killed for it.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
    Not convinced with Van Gaal's game plan, as well as the position of the players on the pitch when we're on the ball. Some great movements when we (rarely) win the ball back though, but most of time it's still possession for the sake of it, which ultimately ends up with a ball played wide for Young to cross in the box. When the opposition is behind the ball, I find us quite easy to defend against, as our passing game is slow and predictable.

I guess it will take time to see a more spontaneous and daring brand of football.

And yes I am probably too demanding.
    Possession for the sake of it is not what's happening this game at all. Young has put some great crosses in the box, and IMO two of them should have been converted by our strikers. I think the ball going out wide to Young is a good thing when he's in this form. And Newcastle are finding it easy to defend against us? Not from what I see at all. Two goals up through ripping them open with great play and we should be more up.

We've looked great going forward and this is one game where I think that our possession playing will result in chances. Which it has.

Second-half kick-off

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
    I really can't see how that Gouffran penalty claim can be said to be completely definitively a penalty. At that pace and with a view that obscured, you can hardly blame the ref for not getting that. It's not as if was completely clear-cut as McManaman and Scholes seem to think.

Gannicus

For Mata's trip? I didn't think that was deliberate at all but another ref might have given it.
    It doesn't have to be deliberate to be a foul. This is one of the few instances, maybe the only one, where the referee is would be right to give it or not give it.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
    Excellent first half for us. Rooney, Mata, Falcao and Young have been our outstanding players. I can see us getting a few more.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
    Suddenly our midfield looks more creative with the options in front. If we play more with Falcao and RvP going on their criss crossing runs, more and more options appear for midfield and also potentially open up spaces for Mata and Rooney. Looks great, and if the form of our defensive players improve and we find the right balance for defence and attack, we'll be ok.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
    Darren Fletcher and Michael Owen commentating on BT? Seems a bit unbalanced. Fletch is a natural though. Like he's been doing it for years.

Vida5Nick

NFP
    Is Fletch commentating on BT?

Hope the AV game doesn't mean its the end for him. I still feel he can contribute in COC etc low priority games or perhaps late in games to help marshal the defence.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Anyone fancy changes in the second half? Everyone has almost been perfect, except Evans
    Maybe it depends who is available for the Spurs game. If they are all still out, then he will have to make changes. If he has some of the ones not playing today available then they could play on.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
    I just saw your location, is there something behind that joke? Are you particularly left wing or something?
    Nah, as far as I know she has slightly conservative leanings, is that accurate Erica? The Caf, as always with political as well as general opinions, likes to exaggerate things a bit.:p

48 min

Corner to Newcastle. Perez puts McNair under pressure and his back-pass is sliced behind by De Gea.

49 min

Falcao only half clears the corner and then Valencia clears the danger.

Charlie Foley

Nah, as far as I know she has slightly conservative leanings, is that accurate Erica? The Caf, as always with political as well as general opinions, likes to exaggerate things a bit.:p
    fair enough :lol: the less asked about my location the better:lol:

Oneunited26

Suddenly our midfield looks more creative with the options in front. If we play more with Falcao and RvP going on their criss crossing runs, more and more options appear for midfield and also potentially open up spaces for Mata and Rooney. Looks great, and if the form of our defensive players improve and we find the right balance for defence and attack, we'll be ok.
    I think it works at old Trafford, it's away from home we seem to have a problem, I think we would need a different approach away from home to really hurt teams, if we go a goal behind we defiantly struggle to break teams down

52 min

Robin Van Persie image

Goal for Manchester United

Robin Van Persie
    United have been biding their time in the second-half and break with devastating affect again to extend their lead.

Rooney finds space in the middle of the park and dinks the ball into the box where Van Persie has pulled into space and his header back across goal beats Alnwick to make it 3:0.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Wayne Rooney image Wayne Rooney 86% of 710 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 509 ratings.

Score Predictions