• Status
    Not open for further replies.

nemanjaa

With Rashford potentially out I'd probably go with:

DDG
    Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
    Fred - Casemiro - Sabitzer
    Antony - Bruno - Sancho

Interchanging front 3 with lads being told to go for long shots. Alternatively Garnacho in for Sancho as I feel Sancho had a bit of an off day against Barca.

Remember the geese

If Rashford is out, then I'd be tempted to go with a Casemiro, Fred, Sabitzer midfield and have Sancho, Weghorst and Bruno up top. The attack would be a bit one-paced, but we would still have Antony and Garnacho ready from the bench to swing the game in our favour. I assume Antony will start though, so Garnacho would be our only trump card.

Bertie Wooster

With Rashford potentially out I'd probably go with:

DDG
    Fred - Casemiro - Sabitzer
    Antony - Bruno - Sancho

Interchanging front 3 with lads being told to go for long shots. Alternatively Garnacho in for Sancho as I feel Sancho had a bit of an off day against Barca.
    If Rashford is out, then I'd be tempted to go with a Casemiro, Fred, Sabitzer midfield and have Sancho, Weghorst and Bruno up top. The attack would be a bit one-paced, but we would still have Antony and Garnacho ready from the bench to swing the game in our favour. I assume Antony will start though, so Garnacho would be our only trump card.
    Yeah, I'm wondering about adding Sabitzer in with the other two CM's to add some fresh legs and energy into the middle of the pitch while we've played two games since Newcastle's last match.

But, if there's no Rashford, I don't want us to switch formation to a 'false nine' with Bruno leading the line - that's too experimental and disjointed for a final. So that would mean Weghorst starting, Bruno on the right, and only room for one of Antony, Sancho, or Garnacho (probably one of the last two while they'd be cutting in from the left).

That means we'd be not only without our top scorer, but also going in with one less attacking option as well in terms of formation. So I'm not sure if we're reducing our goal threat too much and going in a bit too defensively when Newcastle have keeper issues that we should be taking advantage of? I guess that's the issue with battling on four fronts and trying to battle injury / energy issues as much as the opponents? Tough choice.

Last edited:

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
    Full Members
    Not sure if I like these comments about FA and the ref's support a few hours after the Barca game, but I do like the pointing out their clock plays. Hope to see and hear massive amounts of United fans to make this an unforgettable experience for those at home too, and Ten Hag winning it in Fergie time, the icing on the cake.

Wouldn't surprise me if Malacia, Dalot and Garnacho started and Martinez, Bissaka and Weghorst were benched. Other than that, go with the usual suspects and United is a huge favorite to lift what can only be a very special trophy, symbolizing the trust and will instilled in the team again.

To the lucky folks that'll attend the match, sing! Sing all throughout, and I'll have many beers on you.

Give me a better option then... :)
    Took my liberty, hope that's okay!

Source

NLunited

Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
    Casemiro
    Sabitzer Bruno
    Antony Weghorst Garnacho

Go at them hard.

Mike Smalling

Rotten luck if Rashford is out just before the final, but Newcastle are obviously also missing key players, so we should still be clear favorites.

jackal&hyde

We need to put this fake top 4 contenders in their place. I imagine we will be well up for it so I'm not having doubts.

Orange Tree

Weghorst's brace incoming.

Though, shame about Rashford, hopefully not out for long.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    0-0 then Karius drops one onto Weghorst’s arse in the last min.

Relfy

I think we'll go with the below. A few changes to keep it fresh.

DDG
    Dalot-Varane-Licha-Shaw
    Casemiro-Sabitzer
    Antony-Bruno-Sancho
    Weghorst
    • Dalot coming back in to push them back a bit down that side.
    • Sabitzer in for Fred who might need a rest after his effort last night.
    • Antony deserves a start after his display last night, and possibility Rashford misses out.
    • Weghorst to start the game, only played 45 mins last night, so will be fresh enough.
    • Garnacho and Fred off the bench to change things if needed. AWB if ASM gets the better of him and we need to tighten up the back line.
    • Surround Karius on every corner and make him as uncomfortable as possible.

It's essential we have the likes of Varane and Casemiro playing - proven winners who will handle the occasion and be a calming influence on the rest of the team.

Strelok

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but tbh without Rashford I'm not confident at all. And I'm a pretty positive guy if you have a look at my posts in the previous match day threads.

The PL is no joke and Newcastle has proved to be no joke either. The PL is where the difference between the two teams in any match is usually very small and usually you gotta be at your best to get the 3 points.

Without Rashford we're pretty far from our best. It's not because some shit like without Rashford we can't score but how the whole system could be affected without a proper striker. He's our last proper striker. Next is WW and he as a #9 is basically useless if not a big hindrance to our attack.

Let's hope one of Rashford or Martial would be available on Sunday. Or ETH must come up with some tactical masterpiece. I know confidence is sky high atm but again, Newcastle are no mug. They have a lot of pace and good players especially their wingers. It seems they're not in good form atm but it's a final, they fecking hate us they'll be at 200%. Imo it'll be a very very tough match for us if both Martial and Rashford are unavailable.

DickDastardly

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but tbh without Rashford I'm not confident at all. And I'm a pretty positive guy if you have a look at my posts in the previous match day threads.

The PL is no joke and Newcastle has proved to be no joke either. The PL is where the difference between the two teams in any match is usually very small and usually you gotta be at your best to get the 3 points.

Without Rashford we're pretty far from our best. It's not because some shit like without Rashford we can't score but how the whole system could be affected without a proper striker. He's our last proper striker. Next is WW and he as a #9 is basically useless if not a big hindrance to our attack.

Let's hope one of Rashford or Martial would be available on Sunday. Or ETH must come up with some tactical masterpiece. I know confidence is sky high atm but again, Newcastle are no mug. They have a lot of pace and good players especially their wingers. It seems they're not in good form atm but it's a final, they fecking hate us they'll be at 200%. Imo it'll be a very very tough match for us if both Martial and Rashford are unavailable.
    Already confirmed he's out.

DickDastardly

Without Marcus we can still win this easily.

Wout with another 70' minutes pressing, Sancho and Antony are well capable of scoring goals even if he isn't.

Bruno is a machine, the man could play for weeks....

Garnacho off the bench brings a new dimension.

We'll be fine.

jimmyb2000

The amount of doom merchants in these match day threads nowadays is brutal. Every 2nd or 3rd post starts with something along the lines of "I've got a bad feeling" or such like. Sad.

waza7111

DDG
    Casemiro - Fred
    Antony - Bruno - Sancho
    Weghorst
    Rashford will be a big loss but we still have enough to beat them.

Sabitzer and Garnacho good options off the bench.

RuudTom83

Luckily United have cover on the wings...LW (Sancho/Garnacho) RW (Bruno/Antony)

Weghorst might not be a world beater but he is great at pressuring and occupying the opposition CB's.

Rashford is a huge miss IF he doesn't make it, but Sancho/Antony returning is perfect timing.

next_number_seven

I think it'll be similar team but Antony starts instead of Sancho. Fred will start again also.

Is Dan Burn a weakness at left back? I haven't seen much of Newcastle

Dazzmondo

I really hope Rashford is fit. Unlike Martial I know Rashford will do absolutely everything he can to be available for the final. If he isn't available I'll be a bit nervous. We're still very reliant on him for our goals even with the rest of the team performing well as a whole. Still think he'll make it but whether he's able to perform to his best level is another question.

Newcastle's form has dipped and they're not scoring goals but the defence is still excellent.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
    I am already super anxious about this. More so for the players and coaching staff as you can see how hard they're working and it would be great for them to get that first trophy. As a fan, I really appreciate seeing the effort they're making.

I hoping they've got some energy left after last night. I also think the players need to accept that apart from Newcastle shithousery, the ref will more than likely hardly give anything in our favour. Therefore, we need to just keep our concentration, and be as clinical as we can be when presented with our chances.

next_number_seven

Yeah you'd think so but I can't remember a game where he would've been in trouble with his pace. Oh it will be a tight low-scoring game for sure.
    The 5 subs rule is suiting us this season.

It means you can make early subs and not worry about needing them for injuries.

I bet Karius will have the game of his life

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
    Scout
    The 5 subs rule is suiting us this season.

It means you can make early subs and not worry about needing them for injuries.

I bet Karius will have the game of his life
    For sure, although I think it kind of suits all the teams, if you know what I mean. Sure the ones with deeper squads may gain a bit more but I'm sure every coach wishes to have as many options as possible to change the game. Yeah you just know he will. If we're level after 90 minutes, I can see only one outcome - Karius the penalty shootout hero.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
    Chris Sutton is predicting a win for Newcastle after extra time and penalties. What an idiot. Why even bother having this guy do the predictions if he can't retain at least some semblance of neutrality?
    :lol: so no pundit is allowed to pick Newcastle to win what will probably be a very tight game?

also to the best of my knowledge Sutton never played for Newcastle so I doubt there is any bias there

I think it'll be similar team but Antony starts instead of Sancho. Fred will start again also.

Is Dan Burn a weakness at left back? I haven't seen much of Newcastle
    Burn has been good for them but is incredibly slow. Antony was turning him inside out when we played them at OT and Burn resorted to repeatedly fouling him and somehow escaped a red. Just one of the things that pissed me off about the referee performance that day.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    If Rashford is out i wouldnt be as confident. I think Newcastle will do a villareal in the Europa final. We are much better now than then, but we will be so tired.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 365 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw