Manchester United Vs PSG - International Champions Cup (OP Updated)

roykeane19

One question for you guys: before Pereira's header, who was the last player who had a shot on goal for us?

We've created close to nothing.
Exactly and thats whats worrying, last season, was the same, we just passed the ball around in useless areas, and creating next to nothing going forward, and that was evident again, seems like LVG picks players who will follow his philosophy of pass but dont create anything

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Darmian and Shaw were the only decent performances. Looked pretty lifeless going forward and some of the selections are worrying going into the first game.

Sylar

I dont think we (fans) learnt anything we didnt already know tbh but Im hoping LVG did:
-We need a CB (and not Blind)
-We need a striker to challenge Rooney
-We need a balance in midfield (Basti + Carrick doesnt work)
-We need to play players in their own freakin positions

Pretty much what we knew before the game but what this game showed.

Sylar

I'm not at all. You said he needs to pass the ball quicker after he was caught with it there.
I'm saying he was knackered and his legs were gone. When you get to that stage in a match, you make poor decisions and have poor touches because you just can't think or act quick enough to do the right thing.

I'm sure you've played and know the feeling?
Yes, but when im tired I dont try to run into a crowded area away from goal.
And tbh it wasnt the first time in the match he did it.

In general, he needs to pass it quicker at times.

Morpheus 7

I dont think we (fans) learnt anything we didnt already know tbh but Im hoping LVG did:
-We need a CB (and not Blind)
-We need a striker to challenge Rooney
-We need a balance in midfield (Basti + Carrick doesnt work)
-We need to play players in their own freakin positions

Pretty much what we knew before the game but what this game showed.
Agreed, need Herrera in that midfield as well.

OldTrevil

I was dozing for a good chunk of the second half, managed to maintain focus only when Pereira and Lingard were on.

diarm

Yes, but when im tired I dont try to run into a crowded area away from goal.
And tbh it wasnt the first time in the match he did it.

In general, he needs to pass it quicker at times.
I do, regularly. It's an easier thought process than being aware of and selecting a pass. You just instinctively run and almost always end up losing the ball.

I thought he passed quickly and well in the first half. A few times his passes were too crisp and Rooney wasn't quite up to pace with him.

Annahnomoss

Same issues with Young-Depay-Mata as last game. Hopefully we learn a lesson from this but knowing LVG he's more stubborn than so.

fatboy

It's a pre-season friendly. Am pretty sure LvG was trying to figure out what not to do as well, so he'll experiment a bit with the team. The fact that Smalling didn't start, is an indicator this isn't our full starting line-up. I'm expecting Herrera to feature too. After a game like this, we'll probably learn a lot more about what to work on in the training sessions over the next 9 days.

That being said, I'm hoping LvG will give players like Pereira real opportunities this season. I think he's the real deal, and should even start a few games. We should sign him on a nice, long contract asap.

prath92

can we release rooney? He's been dire for years and is only getting worse, for his wages we could have five better players or more.
Lol. Over reaction is one. You have taken it to another level :p

bugmat

is LvG going to do this every season while he's here? Buy talented players and then play them out of position (ADM as winger isntead fo CM shuttler now Depay as 2nd striker instead of goalscoring winger/wide forward) while not playing what is obviously our strongest CM (no Herrera at all, no schneiderlin until we're already down 2) and defence (no Smalling, Blind as a CB??! JONES???) until we lose a bunch of points in the first month? THEN...he finally does what is so obvious and we play catch up...

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Out of curiosity, how did Schweinsteiger do? I'm presuming it was a poor team performance by the comments here - but was he a bright spark?

Water Melon

Our strongest area, midfield, did little today. Neither helped much in attack, nor shielded the defense well. Bastian+Carrick midfield combo is too static. LvG set the team with the same idea as before: to keep the ball and avoid any counter attacks, however,PSG's movement was much better, passes are faster and direct and they easily withstood our so-called "pressing". Physically the French team were much stronger too. It appears to me that LvG wants to create a team that would be a cross of Arsenal and Barca, however today we played like a prematurily born love child of these two teams.

MDFC Manager

It's a pre-season friendly. Am pretty sure LvG was trying to figure out what not to do as well, so he'll experiment a bit with the team. The fact that Smalling didn't start, is an indicator this isn't our full starting line-up. I'm expecting Herrera to feature too. After a game like this, we'll probably learn a lot more about what to work on in the training sessions over the next 9 days.
Thanks for that. Hopefully that is exactly the idea behind the selections and it makes me more optimistic about next weekend.

Ryan7

Out of curiosity, how did Schweinsteiger do? I'm presuming it was a poor team performance by the comments here - but was he a bright spark?
Played some good passes, but not exactly a bright spark. We just really weren't that creative overall.

NJM78

Bit shit that and slightly worrying despite only preseason. They looked so comfortable even in first half, defended well even when we were playing decent stuff. Shut up shop after and we had no answer and like last season no penetration or pace when coming up against a strong back line and DM. The team will get better of course and Darmian is a real positive. Still not sure Rooney can lead us to future titles seems so be getting slower and his first touch worse as each season goes by also Blind and Jones surely cannot be our starting pair. Crazy if LvG thinks they can cope as for me it's the worst option we have. Also hoping Pereira gets more minutes, cracking little player.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Played some good passes, but not exactly a bright spark. We just really weren't that creative overall.
To be honest, he's a player I've always rated and liked so was annoyed that he ended up with United. Sure, he's older.. but that experience, attitude and intelligence never disappears. I think he'll be an attribute for you this season, unlike some of the other players who may cower if times are hard.

lem8sh

Sat deep with Carrick and kept the ball without any penetration or any crucial passed in the final third. Only bright sparks were Darmian, Shaw and Depay to an extent.

dsch

We looked decent before their goals, but after they just shut the game down. Their pressing in the first half was very impressive.

m1y2

Lol. Over reaction is one. You have taken it to another level :p
call it overreaction I call it hyperbole but Rooney was probably the worst player on tour and he's nowhere near top club striker, he should be impact striker, going fresh from the bench, his agility is absolutely disastrous let alone his touch which is hit or miss but rather mess..

we need half decent striker so Rooney's finally benched

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did really well in the first half I thought, and we were much better overall apart from Blind/Jones/De Gea who were awful and the reason for the goals. We lost any bit of attacking impetus we had after half time, partly because he was gone I think.

MDFC Manager

Carrick and Schweiny both take a few games to start playing properly. So when paired together today, they didn't offer too much.

Ozio

Not according to some, they will have you believe a friendly don't mean nothing!
He didn't even try another formation at all. Logic will tell you if you've signed new players and you want them to get settled quickly, you play them in a system you plan to use for most of the season. What's the point of having them play this formation so much if we won't use it?

RedStarUnited

Sat deep with Carrick and kept the ball without any penetration or any crucial passed in the final third. Only bright sparks were Darmian, Shaw and Depay to an extent.
He played the pass for Rooney to run behind, Rooney cut it back to Depay who hit it first time. He should have taken a touch.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
No worries Spurs just lost to a club that was playing their first and last match together as a group.
Haha. Those pesky Americans. Don't worry though - Spurs will take them in American Football soon when their plan to become an NFL franchise because they're crap at football takes hold.

RedStarUnited

He didn't even try another formation at all. Logic will tell you if you've signed new players and you want them to get settled quickly, you play them in a system you plan to use for most of the season. What's the point of having them play this formation so much if we won't use it?
Maybe he knows the other formation works so he is trying something else? I dont know, nothing seems to make sense.

fatboy

Few things here. I think we're underestimating what can be worked on on the training ground. Glamorous pre-season matches can be fun, but it's mostly a PR affair. If LvG has his way, we probably won't even be in this tournament.

And also, let's not forget we have 4 new potential starting players to bed in. Any team is going to struggle with that. PSG is pretty much unchanged from the last season thanks to FFP rules, they'd naturally look more cohesive. It was always going to be a tricky start to the season for us, and we shouldn't expect any less than that.