Manchester United Vs PSG - International Champions Cup (OP Updated)

MDFC Manager

Maybe he knows the other formation works so he is trying something else? I dont know, nothing seems to make sense.
I think we're certain to start the season with this formation. We were in denial about the 352, but that's what we started last season with, as well.

prath92

He didn't even try another formation at all. Logic will tell you if you've signed new players and you want them to get settled quickly, you play them in a system you plan to use for most of the season. What's the point of having them play this formation so much if we won't use it?
I think lvg s main aim is to get the players playing. Blind and young are the probably the most expendable so he gave them a kind of last chance to impress. He played bastian coz he didn't get a game previously meaning he didn't really care more than giving a run out for the players . Players too probably played with a lower intensity than normal. Last thing you want is get injured in pre season

call it overreaction I call it hyperbole but Rooney was probably the worst player on tour and he's nowhere near top club striker, he should be impact striker, going fresh from the bench, his agility is absolutely disastrous let alone his touch which is hit or miss but rather mess..

we need half decent striker so Rooney's finally benched
That doesn't make the 'Rooney has been dire for years. We should just release him' statements true though.

I am worried by playing Rooney up top. He is either playing within himself or has lost it. He never once got himself in a dangerous position to receive a pass, and stifled every opportunity he got involved in by being too slow and/or safe with the ball. A lone striker needs to occupy two CBs with their movement and he was walking about looking uninterested.

I also wonder if Jones has done a Cleverley there. He was completely at fault for both goals and its not like he was skinned by a Messi either. They were simple errors that will cost a goal every time.

Perreira and Darmian were bright points and i like how strong Depay is.

Ozio

I think lvg s main aim is to get the players playing. Blind and young are the probably the most expendable so he gave them a kind of last chance to impress. He played bastian coz he didn't get a game previously meaning he didn't really care more than giving a run out for the players . Players too probably played with a lower intensity than normal. Last thing you want is get injured in pre season
I was thinking that about Blind, because bar injuries and suspensions I don't think he'll get much time in midfield. But even if this is an exercise to see how well they do in different positions, that still doesn't explain the formation he chose in every game.

As for Young, even after the season he had, him being dropped would still make sense. Depay wide left instead of Young, Rooney and Mata as a front 3. It's almost like the start of last season when he felt the need to fit everyone in at the same time (Rooney, Falcao, Di Maria, RVP) and we suffered because of it.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Observations:
1. Herrera makes a lot of difference in our build up. Him being missing today made us static in the middle
2. Carrick looked past it at times
3. Rooney will have to relearn being a striker and relearn fast. Looked very shoddy at times
4. Should try Mata in a No. 10 role with Depay and Januzaj/Pereira on either side
5. Sean Goss looks to have a good presence and mental balance
6. Darmian has been our player of the tournament
7. Jones needs to NEVER start over Smalling
8. Blind needs to never be a CB
9. Shaw has looked better
10. Depay is great but needs to stop trying too much
11. Carrick and Schweinsteiger are not a good pairing to start in the middle
12. Possession counts for shit if your build up play is at the rate of a snail moving across wet cement
13. (Maybe just me) but, I felt De Gea didn't seemed as pumped up as he was last season
14. PSG has a solid defense and Ibra, Cavani, Lucas were brilliant

prath92

I was thinking that about Blind, because bar injuries and suspensions I don't think he'll get much time in midfield. But even if this is an exercise to see how well they do in different positions, that still doesn't explain the formation he chose in every game.

As for Young, even after the season he had, him being dropped would still make sense. Depay wide left instead of Young, Rooney and Mata as a front 3. It's almost like the start of last season when he felt the need to fit everyone in at the same time (Rooney, Falcao, Di Maria, RVP) and we suffered because of it.
As a manager you have to choose your best team. It may be logical to bench blind and young but it wouldn't be fair

We may well be playing this formation to get the players he wants starting. We may very well play this in the league but I would really be surprised if LvG left out smalling and Herrera

legball

is LvG going to do this every season while he's here? Buy talented players and then play them out of position (ADM as winger isntead fo CM shuttler now Depay as 2nd striker instead of goalscoring winger/wide forward) while not playing what is obviously our strongest CM (no Herrera at all, no schneiderlin until we're already down 2) and defence (no Smalling, Blind as a CB??! JONES???) until we lose a bunch of points in the first month? THEN...he finally does what is so obvious and we play catch up...
Di Maria is NOT a CM, just because he did well there in half a season doesn't mean he is.

legball

So, we win against Barca and it's only a friendly and doesn't matter, then we lose against PSG and everyone rolls out a long list of what is wrong etc. Truth is somewhere in between, both matches were important for the purpose of building fitness, getting the new signings accustomed to their team mates, trying out new systems and seeing areas of weakness. I hope lessons have been learnt.

26andahalfyears

Observations:
10. Depay is great but needs to stop trying too much
This is the kind of comment that makes our players becoming more and more reluctant to take risks and be creative with the ball. The players are now afraid they will get crucified when they lose the damn ball. That's why they end up passing it sideways to avoid the blame.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
This is the kind of comment that makes our players becoming more and more reluctant to take risks and be creative with the ball. The players are now afraid they will get crucified when they lose the damn ball. That's why they end up passing it sideways to avoid the blame.
There's a fine line between trying hard and trying too much. At times today, even when he was boxed in by 3 players, he wanted to dribble away. Gotta be more intelligent and find an outlet sometimes.

26andahalfyears

There's a fine line between trying hard and trying too much. At times today, even when he was boxed in by 3 players, he wanted to dribble away. Gotta be more intelligent and find an outlet sometimes.
Yep and he tried really hard. I'd love to see other players trying as hard as him too. You are a professional football player, with years of experience - an intelligent one. You will pass the ball when being pressed only if there's a good outlet, that passing will become the better alternative. I've seen him doing that a lot before in a less friendlier setting.

Ozio

As a manager you have to choose your best team. It may be logical to bench blind and young but it wouldn't be fair

We may well be playing this formation to get the players he wants starting. We may very well play this in the league but I would really be surprised if LvG left out smalling and Herrera
Me too, not too worried about Smalling not starting much on tour because he'll most likely be first choice.

So, we win against Barca and it's only a friendly and doesn't matter, then we lose against PSG and everyone rolls out a long list of what is wrong etc. Truth is somewhere in between, both matches were important for the purpose of building fitness, getting the new signings accustomed to their team mates, trying out new systems and seeing areas of weakness. I hope lessons have been learnt.
We've only used one system so far, and that's what has most people concerned. It's the assumption that this is the way we'll set up for the majority of the season and using players out of position.

RedDevil@84

Not a full fledged PSG and we lost. Shows we need to work harder to get to CL QFs.
Anyways good practice. Cant wait for the season to begin.

Hoping/praying for a season with few injuries so that we can challenge the title.

Rooney1987

Interesting , this guy @EddieTrulyRed was at the presser after game and asking LVG about the formation. LVG said 4-3-3 similar to last season was what he hinted at.

Listar

What you guys on about? Rooneys touch today was good especially first half. Took the ball out of the air few times. Setup depay too with the perfect layoff.

vk20legend

What you guys on about? Rooneys touch today was good especially first half. Took the ball out of the air few times. Setup depay too with the perfect layoff.
This.. And in the second half he was isolated and couldn't connect much with Memphis.. We have to give PSG some credit, they set up deep and pressed well in the second half..

Granted our pace in play does not help a bit, but it is not like we played some random Chinese team 11.. They played most of their first choice players for most positions..

Not worried about the result.. We'll figure it out.. I was more worried about the state of that pitch.. Was afraid someone would get injured or something.. Glad this game is out of the way..

Now bring on Spurs.. Before that, New Kit in 3 days.. :drool:

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea

Interesting , this guy @EddieTrulyRed was at the presser after game and asking LVG about the formation. LVG said 4-3-3 similar to last season was what he hinted at.
If that is true, maybe LVG wants to hide his cards this time as he has not played 4-3-3 during this whole pre season. He showed his all cards during last pre season and hence opponents got the wind of it. He didn't play 4-3-3 as didnt want it to be revealed.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
We rarely troubled them. They could pass their way out of trouble while we looked a bit clueless tbh.

If we'd won though it'd be like last preseason where everything looked great, and then we played a game that actually mattered.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I've decided to wait and see who starts vs Spurs before passing any further judgment. Keeping my fingers crossed that
we get a nice surprise re: formation and starting 11.

RedDevil@84

DIdn't watch the game but its depressing to read this thread with my morning coffee.
Nothing much in the game. Both started decently. We made some howlers and they scored twice. They defended well. We created only half chances. Did not press much for a win.

Mali_Zeus

Nothing much in the game. Both started decently. We made some howlers and they scored twice. They defended well. We created only half chances. Did not press much for a win.
Yeah, but from some posts it seems we're going into the season with a bunch of problems. Is it that bad or people are overreacting a bit?

bbest

The Caf's worst songwriter
Shaw made a rare good cut into their box, couldn't finish it by the forward players. I feel Rafael can be tasked to do that to win free kicks and dangerous crosses can be whipped in to create chances. Just saying.

Kakeru

If that is true, maybe LVG wants to hide his cards this time as he has not played 4-3-3 during this whole pre season. He showed his all cards during last pre season and hence opponents got the wind of it. He didn't play 4-3-3 as didnt want it to be revealed.
Do you ever see Mourinho asking Chelsea to play a different formation even in training camp? That would be ridiculous for a manager not asking his players to put into practice what they learned behind closed doors. What can be better than applying the teachings in a match against any opponent?

prath92

Not a full fledged PSG and we lost. Shows we need to work harder to get to CL QFs.
Anyways good practice. Cant wait for the season to begin.

Hoping/praying for a season with few injuries so that we can challenge the title.
It was a full fledged PSG. Sirigu and pastore are the only players they missed.

Yeah, but from some posts it seems we're going into the season with a bunch of problems. Is it that bad or people are overreacting a bit?
Lvg said before the game that he started Schweini with Carrick as schweini didn't play last game. You would think from reaction here that lvg decided to sell Herrera and Schneiderlin.

Also play was decent. Rooney and Memphis actually linked up decently. But they were wasteful in their chances. Even they had very few chances and they however scored from their little chances.

Second half they created little and were defending deeply. The only bad performance was Carrick, the CBs and de gea. All others were decent.

Mali_Zeus

It was a full fledged PSG. Sirigu and pastore are the only players they missed.

Lvg said before the game that he started Schweini with Carrick as schweini didn't play last game. You would think from reaction here that lvg decided to sell Herrera and Schneiderlin.

Also play was decent. Rooney and Memphis actually linked up decently. But they were wasteful in their chances. Even they had very few chances and they however scored from their little chances.

Second half they created little and were defending deeply. The only bad performance was Carrick, the CBs and de gea. All others were decent.
Thanks. So not all bad. :)

Tosicsleftpeg

I think people forget how good PSG actually are. They have a fantastic team full of top players who did well in the CL last year and only came unstuck against an incredible Barca team, they also steamrollered an admittedly weak domestic scene and win the treble.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think people forget how good PSG actually are. They have a fantastic team full of top players who did well in the CL last year and only came unstuck against an incredible Barca team, they also steamrollered an admittedly weak domestic scene and win the treble.
Yes they are, but if we want to progress in CL, if we actually get there, that is the calibre of side we will meet. We are going to get one of the big teams in our group if we like it or not.

Tosicsleftpeg

Yes they are, but if we want to progress in CL, if we actually get there, that is the calibre of side we will meet. We are going to get one of the big teams in our group if we like it or not.
Obviously yes but you have to take things one step at a time. We beat the reigning European champions last week! It's disappointing to lose definitely but hardly the end of the world. Bear in mind we have been striving to even get back into the CL and now some people seem to expect us to win it!

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Disappointing result, but it's just International Champions Cup....win one, lose one. Defending the trophy is always harder than winning it. :cool:

Darmian, Shaw, Pererira and Rooney the best in the team today.

PSG was pretty good too.