Manchester United vs San Jose Earthquakes (International Champions Cup)

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Tuesday for some, Wednesday for others

TUE 8 PM local time
WED 4 AM for Brits
WED 5 AM in proper time

Venue: Avaya Stadium in San Jose

Raw

This lot got spanked by LA Galaxy, I hope we hammer them. I want to see goals if I'm going to be staying up until 6AM

LR7

Perfect as Wednesday is my day off this week.

I wonder if we will try different midfield combinations.

R'hllor

So how this cup works,when its in 3 diff places at the same period?I mean there is table standings and all...

Raw

Last years International Cup was relatively easy to understand, it just had two separate leagues and the winners of each league faced each other in the final (United v Liverpool)

This one I have no idea what's happening. There's like 3 different leagues which are North America (we're in that), China and Australia. Do the winners of each face each other in a final or something? How is it fair when we don't even face every team in the N. American table? Are the champions of this cup just the ones who finish first irrespective of the other leagues?

I shouldn't think too much about this odd pre-season competition.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Is that stand at the far end of that pic tiny or just really really far away?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea
Darmian Smalling Jones Shaw
Schweinsteiger
Herrera schneiderlin
Mata Rooney Memphis​
Second half:
Johnstone
Valencia McNair Evans Blind
Carrick
Fellaini/Goss Pereira
Januzaj Wilson Young
Blackett, Fellaini/goss, lingard and Lindegaard miss out.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Last years International Cup was relatively easy to understand, it just had two separate leagues and the winners of each league faced each other in the final (United v Liverpool)

This one I have no idea what's happening. There's like 3 different leagues which are North America (we're in that), China and Australia. Do the winners of each face each other in a final or something? How is it fair when we don't even face every team in the N. American table? Are the champions of this cup just the ones who finish first irrespective of the other leagues?

I shouldn't think too much about this odd pre-season competition.
Three separate editions running at one time with the Aussie/ China one linked:

2015 begins the International Champions Cup’s global expansion, with the tournament kicking off three team editions in both Australia and in China. The round robin tournament at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne, Australia will feature 2013 ICC champions Real Madrid and 2014 participants Manchester City and AS Roma. China will play host to Real Madrid as well as 2014 ICC participants AC Milan and Inter Milan in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and Shanghai. In addition to the Melbourne and China based competitions, the 2015 International Champions Cup North America will include Manchester United, FC Barcelona, Chelsea FC, PSG, SL Benfica, ACF Fiorentina, Club América, the LA Galaxy, the New York Red Bulls, and the San Jose Earthquakes across 11 cities.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Far away, Dougal. New breaking news from Sky Sports. They are also reporting that the keeper in the far goal looks only half the size of the one at our end of the pitch, but he's actually pretty much the same size.

wiz4231

De Gea
Darmian Smalling Jones Blind
Herrera schneiderlin
Mata
Young Rooney Memphis
Second half:

Johnstone
Valencia McNair Evans Shaw
Bastian Carrick
Pereira
Januzaj Wilson lingard

Carrick/Goss​
Blackett, Fellaini and Lindegaard miss out.[/QUOTE]

Dazzmondo

Predicted Line-up 1st half:

de Gea

Valencia Smalling Jones Shaw

Schneiderlin Schweinsteiger

Lingard Pereira Memphis

Rooney
2nd half:

Johnstone

Darmian McNair Blackett Blind

Carrick Herrera

Januzaj Mata Young

Wilson

dsch

If you compare the size of the furthest players with the stand, the stand is only one tier and around ten seats deep. So it's tiny.

ZDwyr

Is there some special meaning behind their name? "Earthquakes" seems like a weird choice.

Skizzo

I will pose a question if anyone might have the answer ...anyone know if United are having any open training sessions out here in SJ? Or how we could find out. Would love to catch one if possible.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Is there some special meaning behind their name? "Earthquakes" seems like a weird choice.
Reminds me something I heard a Bill Burr say. "We have run out of wild animals to name teams after, so we're naming them after the weather".

Bwuk

Assume Fellaini will start since he didn't feature in the last game.

Havak

Pokemon master
How does this table actually work? Assuming it's us, Club America, Earthquakes, Barca and PSG as one half playing each other, while the other five teams all play it out. Is it just the teams who are ranked best from those games who meet in a final?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Our next game after is Barca right? I imagine Gaaly will want to formulate an 11 to practice against them ahead of the new season. Schweinsteiger and Schneidelin first half, Herrera and Carrick second. Looking forward to seeing how the Schmidfield works.

MDFC Manager

Think I'm going to let the rivers run at work :D Would be even better if they put it in the cafeteria TVs

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Our next game after is Barca right? I imagine Gaaly will want to formulate an 11 to practice against them ahead of the new season. Schweinsteiger and Schneidelin first half, Herrera and Carrick second. Looking forward to seeing how the Schmidfield works.
Those are some weird ones! :lol:

I think Van Gaal mentioned a while ago the two first games would be two different XIs (both 45 minutes), but during the third game, players would start playing 60 minutes. So look forward to the 7 60th minute changes in the Barça game.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Got up to watch it at the weekend, was shattered all day after, not going to do it on Wednesday. I'll record it and either get up early and watch it before work, or after work.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Based on the last game, I'd start each player who plays best in the first half.

Johnstone
Darmian Smalling Jones Shaw
Herrera Schweinsteiger
Lingard Januzaj Pereira
Wilson
2nd

Lindegaard
McNair Evans Blind Blackett
Carrick Schneiderlin
Mata Memphis Young
Rooney

If we can manage it, I'd prefer the tea lady or an old man from the stands to Lindegaard. Blind would be better at RB than McNair and would allow McNair to play CB where he has a future. If we're subbing out Blackett we'll need an athletic young lady or a fit man who knows what a fullback is.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Got up to watch it at the weekend, was shattered all day after, not going to do it on Wednesday. I'll record it and either get up early and watch it before work, or after work.
Probably the right move, it's easy enough to avoid preseason scores at work.

I went to bed during the 2nd half of the last game, and I'm 5 hours ahead of Manchester!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
A good old 5-0 thumping would be :drool:

Out of curiousity, do we play all those teams in pre-season like a mini league?

For some reason I thought we're only playing 4-5 matches in the States.

ravi2

11pm EST for me, LA Galaxy v Barca is on at the same time. Cant wait!

Rooney in Paris

Scout
A good old 5-0 thumping would be :drool:

Out of curiousity, do we play all those teams in pre-season like a mini league?

For some reason I thought we're only playing 4-5 matches in the States.
It's a bit weird. All teams involved play 4 games except the three US based teams who play... 2 games. Not sure there'll be a final, I guess it will just be a mini league with the winner being the team with the most points. All the games are listed here.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This lot got spanked by LA Galaxy, I hope we hammer them. I want to see goals if I'm going to be staying up until 6AM
Wouldn't you go to bed and get up early?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's a bit weird. All teams involved play 4 games except the three US based teams who play... 2 games. Not sure there'll be a final, I guess it will just be a mini league with the winner being the team with the most points. All the games are listed here.
Ta GiP! (feels weird not saying RiP/RiD ;) ). Yeah, that is a werid format, especially if there's no semi/final knockout after the mini league :lol:

I supposed the winner to be decided on goal difference, if not points?

fanutd

I will pose a question if anyone might have the answer ...anyone know if United are having any open training sessions out here in SJ? Or how we could find out. Would love to catch one if possible.
Would love to know this too, if any one has any ideas or information.