Manchester United vs Saudi Atletico Arabia | Carabao Cup Final Build-up Thread (Sun 26 Feb) | Pope suspended, Dubravka cup-tied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertie Wooster

Pope (and Dubrakva) being missing is a nice bonus. Makes up somewhat for the fact that we have to play twice before the final while Newcastle have eight days rest.

Of course, we might get injuries (or a red card v Leicester) in those games that rules any of our players out of the final as well. But, for now, just pleased to see they've got keeper issues for the final, while crossing fingers that ours come through the next two matches unscathed.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Watched Newcastle play in the last few weeks and they are nothing special. We need to see out the first 15 minutes as they start the game very aggressively. From there on we can win it if we got our shooting boots on.
They were the better team against Liverpool for most of the period since playing with 10 men. Their recent results have not been great, but I make it a very tough final to call, especially with our Thursday commitments.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Serves them right. Shame Bruno is not out as well, that rule for red cards is dumb.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
C'mon folks, it's football. Karius to have the game of his life reaching a standard never seen before or after including at least 3 how the f did he save that's. We should all know by now how the game Gods work.

DownRiver

I am kinda worried about Bruno with those crazy stats, but I know we can win if we commit fully without making low IQ decisions which Fred and Casimero sometimes do. We also do have 2 home games before travelling down to London, which is great for recovery.

Bertie Wooster

Serves them right. Shame Bruno is not out as well, that rule for red cards is dumb.
I agree Bruno (Guimaraes) should be suspended for the final. But, if that was the rule for red cards (i.e. competition specific), then Pope would be available for the final and his ban would be for the next league game instead. So they'd still have one available, one suspended, either way - it would just be the other way around.

Nero

These guys are rank average. Finally our first trophy in 6 years.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I agree Bruno (Guimaraes) should be suspended for the final. But, if that was the rule for red cards (i.e. competition specific), then Pope would be available for the final and his ban would be for the next league game instead. So they'd still have one available, one suspended, either way - it would just be the other way around.
This might feel like selective rules from my side but my opinion was that if you get a red in the cup, you should miss the next game (plus the additional punishment for a red). So in this case, Bruno would have been available for today but miss the final.

It just doesn't make sense that you can get suspended in a cup game off yellows but not from reds. The rule needs changing.

BorisManUtd

Eight days until this and I’m already so nervous.

No Pope for Newcastle but Bruno Guimaraes back and 8 days rest for them. They’ll be ready for it no doubt.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
This might feel like selective rules from my side but my opinion was that if you get a red in the cup, you should miss the next game (plus the additional punishment for a red). So in this case, Bruno would have been available for today but miss the final.

It just doesn't make sense that you can get suspended in a cup game off yellows but not from reds. The rule needs changing.
Then again getting sent off for example for a bad tackle or violent conduct in, say a Carabao Cup QF where one's team loses and is out of the competition, it wouldn't make sense that the suspension kicks in 8 months later when said club enters the competition again. Or getting that red card in the 1st round, the suspension would kick in a year later. That player could also be sold to another league and not face any consequences for his actions.

Last edited:

The Dane

Am I the only one who is glad that at least we get to play against a strong Newcastle side and not Southampton in the final. Our road to the final has already been a walk over of home games against lesser teams and to have a little pride in winning this Cup we should be able to beat Newcastle even with their Bruno back.

Remember the geese

Am I the only one who is glad that at least we get to play against a strong Newcastle side and not Southampton in the final. Our road to the final has already been a walk over of home games against lesser teams and to have a little pride in winning this Cup we should be able to beat Newcastle even with their Bruno back.
No, I'd rather we had the most comfortable route possible. I'm not interested in having to really 'earn' it.

Bertie Wooster

No, I'd rather we had the most comfortable route possible. I'm not interested in having to really 'earn' it.
This.

I never get why people want us to get tough ('glamour') draws rather than easier ('dull') ones. We're battling on four fronts - the only team to be doing so. And with stretched resources. Any trophy we can get will be 'earned'. A few easier draws during the season just balances out tougher ones like Barcelona, Everton and Villa as 3rd round opponents, etc.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
We are better than them in every position on the pitch.

Who from their team gets in our first eleven? I realise football is odd and can throw up anything results, but we are big favourites for the final surely

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm sure a win here would immensely please our new qatari overlords may they be saluted.

text or something.

BorisManUtd

Possibly I’d agree with you if we haven’t been without a trophy since 2017.

Jacob

Who from their team gets in our first eleven? I realise football is odd and can throw up anything results, but we are big favourites for the final surely
Bruno, Trippier, Isak.

BrayRed

As soon as Pope got sent off I said you just know Karius is going to pull off performance

But no I think we'll just have a little too much for them because Pope was / is a huge part of organising a pretty solid back 4. Going forward though they've looked toothless recently.

Either way it's hopefully going to be a great day & jealous of anyone who got a ticket

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
As long as we don't go through penalties, Karius is butter

Edit: I was thinking of Krul, Karius is always butter, and he keeps wiping his gloves on himself

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
C'mon folks, it's football. Karius to have the game of his life reaching a standard never seen before or after including at least 3 how the f did he save that's. We should all know by now how the game Gods work.
Do you remember Karius v Real in 2018? Apparently his confidence is shattered since. No one has seen him since. There’s a rumour Newcastle have been keeping him in a greenhouse and watering him with the cucumber plants

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I thought they did better with 10 on the field than in their 3 previous matches. It won't be easy but we should get it done.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Bruno, Trippier, Isak.
Bruno yes. The other two. Not so much for me. Rashford as CF >>>> Isak.

A fit Dalot not exactly inferior to Trippier IMO.

Even if you're right, we're better than them in 8/11 positions. Ergo, we should win

Dion

Even if you're right, we're better than them in 8/11 positions. Ergo, we should win
Trippier has been one of the best players in the league this year, Dalot at his best and healthy is nowhere near him.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Karius will be the hero in the penalty shootout you watch.

nainaisson

Yes, all my years of making fun of Karius are coming back to bite me in the ass. It's how the football gods work. Sorry, everyone.

Bondi77

I think Almiron has looked better on the right side than anything we have put up this season.

Jacob

Yeah, no. Trippier is the best RB in the league. Dalot is barely in the top 10.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Learn the rules before you get involved in football you dimwit.

Status
Not open for further replies.