Wed, 24 June 2020 @ 6:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
    I just hate the cliche response you gave earlier but I understand your point:)
    So do I. I've been a keeper for most of my life (had to start playing out because of shoulder issues) and I know the position very well. And because of that I have never been a big fan of De Gea's.

He may just have the best YouTube reel of any keeper in history because he has made some unbelievable saves over his career. Saves I couldn't even dream of making. But he has never learned how to properly play his position. He's been running of pure raw talent and agility but his positioning is horrible. So is some of his technique.

We all see the goals that are blatantly his fault, but I see the goals that are his fault that most don't. Two examples that come to mind are last year vs Barca (everyone know that bad one that went through his hands) and this year vs Burnley.

Against Barca, when Messi scored from outside the 18. It was a decent shot in the bottom corner, but the only place Messi could aim was the far corner (defender took away the other side of the goal). A keeper who knows his positioning is constantly shuffling across the goal line to recognize this. He should have been cheating to his right. Then it's a routine save for him. But he was in the middle of the goal and couldn't quite get there when he made his dive.

The other one vs Burnley was a game we lost 2-0. The second goal by Rodriguez was a rocket into the top corner at his near post. The commentators drooled over the shot. Problem was that when he took that shot, not only was De Gea standing close to the middle of his goal, but he was also pretty much on the goal line. A defender was taking away far post and that's the only area of the goal that Rodriguez could shoot at. If De Gea would have been in his proper position the angle would have been taken away. Not only would he have saved it, but it would have been basically right at him...

There have been several others as well. Most of which are inswinging crosses that are headed in from inside the 6 yard box. Keepers should be all over inswingers inside their own 6...

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Hope we get to see that front 3 start together, think that would only be the 2nd time in the league that would have happened

Blades1889

Supports
    Sheffield United
    I'm praying he doesn't.. Whats your options for the back 3 if both him and Egan are out (Egan is suspended from Sunday, right?)
    Basham Jagielka (probably) and Robinson. If not Jagielka, Stevens or Rodwell would be my guess. Grim either way.

Blades1889

Supports
    Sheffield United
    If only fans were allowed back in stadiums. What an away day this would have been :drool:

UncleBob

So do I. I've been a keeper for most of my life (had to start playing out because of shoulder issues) and I know the position very well. And because of that I have never been a big fan of De Gea's.

He may just have the best YouTube reel of any keeper in history because he has made some unbelievable saves over his career. Saves I couldn't even dream of making. But he has never learned how to properly play his position. He's been running of pure raw talent and agility but his positioning is horrible. So is some of his technique.

We all see the goals that are blatantly his fault, but I see the goals that are his fault that most don't. Two examples that come to mind are last year vs Barca (everyone know that bad one that went through his hands) and this year vs Burnley.

Against Barca, when Messi scored from outside the 18. It was a decent shot in the bottom corner, but the only place Messi could aim was the far corner (defender took away the other side of the goal). A keeper who knows his positioning is constantly shuffling across the goal line to recognize this. He should have been cheating to his right. Then it's a routine save for him. But he was in the middle of the goal and couldn't quite get there when he made his dive.

The other one vs Burnley was a game we lost 2-0. The second goal by Rodriguez was a rocket into the top corner at his near post. The commentators drooled over the shot. Problem was that when he took that shot, not only was De Gea standing close to the middle of his goal, but he was also pretty much on the goal line. A defender was taking away far post and that's the only area of the goal that Rodriguez could shoot at. If De Gea would have been in his proper position the angle would have been taken away. Not only would he have saved it, but it would have been basically right at him...

There have been several others as well. Most of which are inswinging crosses that are headed in from inside the 6 yard box. Keepers should be all over inswingers inside their own 6...
    :lol:

MalibuKen

It's been several years since I posted in a match thread, and it took me nearly twice as long to find it. But here we go!

Really pleased to see Bailly play next to Maguire, and here's hoping Pogba and Bruno can make sweet sweet love.

Obviously now I've posted this it will actually be a completely different line up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Brilliant side. Bailly for Lindelof would give me my favorite right now id say, but understandable that Lindelof is the preferred guy. The rest is :drool::drool:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
    I'm concerned with Matic alone in there, but they aren't a team to play through midfield, so he should be OK. Love the rest of it though.

BlahRules

It's been several years since I posted in a match thread, and it took me nearly twice as long to find it. But here we go!

Really pleased to see Bailly play next to Maguire, and here's hoping Pogba and Bruno can make sweet sweet love.

Obviously now I've posted this it will actually be a completely different line up.
    Its not confirmed line up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 92% of 359 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.