Kick-off
Thu, 27 October 2022 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Thiagoal

TBH i think it’s going to come down to us needing to beat Sociedad by 2 goals. I think the goal difference is too much to close now.

Sociedad are on +7 and we’re on +3. You’d imagine Sociedad will beat Omnia by at least 2 goals. That leaves us needing a 6-0 to draw level. Even 5-0 is a stretch. Most likely going to need to beat Sociedad by a couple of goals.
    Would a 2-1 win not be good enough against Sociedad?

Lost bear

It happens a lot, they’re emotional humans and make feck ups. If Ten Hag is happy to have him back and use him all is well. Every single fan should be backing the managers choices, he’s surely earning that respect from them.
    Yes. Good point. I'm sick of the Ronaldo shit show, but am prepared to hold fire if ETH thinks he's worth keeping.

Chief123

Away goals don't count anymore so need to win by 2.
    Oh dear. Makes needing 5+ goals tomorrow even more important then as it’s a tough ask to win by at least 2 goals in Sociedad.

Tbh it feels like we’ve already messed up winning the group. We’re probably need to play a play off. (Barca, Juve, Atletico Madrid, Ajax, Sporting, Sevilla all possible opponents)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    No sign of martial training again today

He’ll surely be back for boxing Day
    Why is it Martial injuries always have this "probably back next game" sort of vibe, and a month later he's not back.

The Dane

Oh dear. Makes needing 5+ goals tomorrow even more important then as it’s a tough ask to win by at least 2 goals in Sociedad.

Tbh it feels like we’ve already messed up winning the group. We’re probably need to play a play off. (Barca, Juve, Atletico Madrid, Ajax, Sporting, Sevilla all possible opponents)
    Winning every league game until the WC break needs to be the top priority even if that means a play off game against a CHL club.
    we anyway want to play against the top European clubs and if we are not able to beat them we might as well leave as early as possible. Anyway there is a reason why these clubs are out of the CHL and if we can avoid Barca and Atletico we should be okay.

Chief123

Winning every league game until the WC break needs to be the top priority even if that means a play off game against a CHL club.
    we anyway want to play against the top European clubs and if we are not able to beat them we might as well leave as early as possible. Anyway there is a reason why these clubs are out of the CHL and if we can avoid Barca and Atletico we should be okay.
    It's more the fact that it means we've got 2 more tough fixtures to add to the difficult schedule if we go via the playoffs already where we've got 2 postponed fixtures we still need to fit in.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned even if we got knocked out in that play-off round. I'd rather we focus on the league and get top 4.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    If we want any victory against Real Sociedad to be enough next week, we’ll need to beat Sheriff by two goals more than Sociedad beat Omonia. Hopefully we can click tomorrow and get it done.

Feel sorry for some of the posters here who clearly wish we had appointed Poch, so we could do the never-ending quest of focussing on top four and never winning anything.

RedDevilRoshi

We need a win here and probably a resounding one as the final group game against Real Sociedad could come down to GD if both teams, as expected, win tomorrow night.

Dubravka

Dalot Lindelof Martinez Malacia

McTominay Casemiro

Antony Eriksen Sancho

Rashford​

Heaton, AWB, Maguire, Shaw, VDB, Fred, Iqbal, Garnacho, Pellistri, B.Fernandes, Elanga, Ronaldo

Manchester United 5-0 Sheriff Tiraspol

Red the Bear

Something less generic
    I'm afraid we have to go full force , that round 16 for the second placed teams is looking juicy.

BorisManUtd

We were poor against Sociedad at OT but that was such a stupid penalty and it still irritates me. It's probably what'll make us finish 2nd in the group.

Red00012

I'm afraid we have to go full force , that round 16 for the second placed teams is looking juicy.
    I think we could be seeded if we finish 2nd which would mean avoiding CL teams

edit I’m wrong we are seeded but CL teams aren’t

• In the draw for the knockout round play-offs, the eight group runners-up were seeded, and the eight Champions League group third-placed teams were unseeded. The seeded teams were drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    Almost all of our wins in any competition has been by a single goal so far. And we’ve player a strong side in every game. Even our EL games against Sherriff and Omonoia have been 1 goal margins.

I’d be very pleasantly surprised to see us close any goal difference gap in this one.

Cantonagotmehere

No. He was injured during pre season and is just now close to resuming full training. I am sure he will get some minutes once he is fit even if it is a few cameos off the bench to put him in the shop window. I still think the plan is to sell him if we can find a willing buyer.
    Got it, thanks mate.

Wing Attack Plan R

Any formation change to accommodate Ronaldo is not going to happen

We all should be familiar with EtH's approach by now...he wants to win something in his first season and is going to pick as close to full strength as he can in every game.

Whether that is the right/wrong approach only time will tell.
    I think you’re right. Win each game with our best available.

roseguy64

It's a must-win game but it's the only opportunity before the World Cup break where we can give some players a game, like Garnacho, Iqbal, and maybe from the bench, Mainoo. I expect Dalot will have to play yet again, and Dubravka is injured right?

--------------------------de Gea
    Dalot------Lindelof--------Maguire-----Malacia
    ---------------------------Iqbal
    ----------------Eriksen------Fred
    Sancho---------------------------------------Garnacho
    ------------------------Elanga

Mainoo to get minutes too. Bring on the cavalry Rashford, Bruno, Antony and Casemiro if we're not making light work of this.
    There's a league cup game before the world cup.

Dembeza

The press conference was weird.

Majority of the questions went to Eriksen and the few that went to Ten Hag were about Harry Maguire.

Key take ways:

- AWB, Donny and Harry will face a late fitness test.
    - Team is gelling well.
    - Eriksen has no preference with regards to position (6, 8 or 10), prefers to play wherever the ball is.
    - We are aiming to finish top of the group.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    As much as some players need rest, ten Hag will want to top the group.

I'd go for

De Gea
    Bissaka/Lindelof - Maguire/Lindelof - Martinez - Malacia
    McTominay - Fred
    Elanga - Eriksen - Sancho
    Martial
    We pretty much have to top the group given the quality of teams set to drop down into the play offs: Barca and Juve to name just two.

LARulz

Have to go all out for a comfortable win. Sod being in the extra round with the likes of Barca and Atletico

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    Have to go all out for a comfortable win. Sod being in the extra round with the likes of Barca and Atletico
    Also might have to face Leipzig, Dortmund, Sevilla or Juve. Two of which buggered us recently. Ajax is also a possibility, one of those "it's fate" possibility I pointed out a while ago

Pronewbie

Peep
    Almost all of our wins in any competition has been by a single goal so far. And we’ve player a strong side in every game. Even our EL games against Sherriff and Omonoia have been 1 goal margins.

I’d be very pleasantly surprised to see us close any goal difference gap in this one.
    Is it H2H goal difference that matters more?

Telsim

I imagine Van de Beek, Wan-Bissaka, and Maguire are weeks behind on fitness, so the chances of any of them starting are most likely very low.

Member 125288

Is it H2H goal difference that matters more?
    It’s used before the other factors, so yes, assuming both win tonight we beat Sociedad by 2+ goals and top the group.

Racking up the goals versus Sheriff is contingency.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Do we have a confirmed squad yet? Sounds like only Martial and Varane are confirmed 'out', but it's closer to 50/50 on Wan-Bissaka, Maguire and Van de Beek.

James35

Need to win these next two games. As much as we have improved I don’t fancy us beating the teams dropping down from the CL. Of course we could still face them in the next round but two less games is also beneficial.

Feel tonight might actually be the game we score a few. We have been creating the chances, now it’s the time to take them and batter a team for once.

Devil81

Need to win these next two games. As much as we have improved I don’t fancy us beating the teams dropping down from the CL. Of course we could still face them in the next round but two less games is also beneficial.

Feel tonight might actually be the game we score a few. We have been creating the chances, now it’s the time to take them and batter a team for once.
    Why?

Have you seen us play lately we could take out any of those sides. Let's not forget the majority of the sides relegated from the Champions league are really struggling. Juve can't buy a win, Barca are a mess and the rest are all beatable.

The Sociedad game should never have gone ahead, the stadium was flat as a pancake from the news of the Queens death, I know they are sportsmen and should be focused but the English lads in the side will have certainly had their focus broken by the news.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
    Staff
    We're nailed on to draw Barca in the first knock out round. But we will beat them and that will kick start an unbeaten run that will bring us the Europa League and a top 4 finish.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 184 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheriff Tiraspol win
  • Draw