Kick-off
Mon, 13 July 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
    This will be a very tough game. We never have it easy with Southampton and they are well coached team. Need to be at our best to win.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    When did Southampton become Spain 2008-12? Get a grip.
    Caftards do this before every single game. Doesn't matter where the team stands on the table or how awful they are, the Caf would be pretending that we're about to face peak Barca level opponents. :lol:

Just go back and read all the past 5 game match thread before kickoffs. People freaking out how Brighton, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, etc were going to take points away from us. You see loads of posts going on about how they'd take a point against those lots :lol:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout
    Just last week they won against a free-scoring City by keeping a clean sheet. Have conceded more than 1 goal only once since the restart, and that 2-0 loss was because they were a man down against Arsenal. Danny Ings is 3 goals away from a Golden Boot.

I'll take a 1-0 win here, thank you very much.

Web of Bissaka

Caftards do this before every single game. Doesn't matter where the team stands on the table or how awful they are, the Caf would be pretending that we're about to face peak Barca level opponents. :lol:

Just go back and read all the past 5 game match thread before kickoffs. People freaking out how Brighton, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, etc were going to take points away from us. You see loads of posts going on about how they'd take a point against those lots :lol:
    Where were you last year?
    Everything is so fine now, easy to forget.

To be fair, many of 'em did take points off us the first half of this season.

Stevondo8

Same 11. Villa were so poor last night that effectively everyone got a rest in the second half. Keep the momentum going.

ruskyline

I was more worried about Villa tonight than I am about the Saints. Give Matic a rest , start Fred play the rest , get the job done early and subs in.
    Don't get too confident mate. Way too many games we've dropped points to the teams of Saint caliber type. We could either hit the ground running or we could concede and lose/draw. Don't ever underestimate a player who's going for the Golden Boots.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Replace Matic for Fred and that's it. Go out all guns blazing with your best starting 11. This could well be the last time we need them if City's ban stands

AgentP

I'd keep the same team in all league games. Let's not gamble with our CL position.
    Yes. The league is top priority. But if we win the Southampton game and City's CL ban is confirmed, then maybe we can think of some rotation.

Havak

Pokemon master
    I'm 99% sure it'll be the same XI. I fancy 1-3 changes for the Palace, Chelsea, and West Ham games (in relation the XI played the game before, teach time). We have had four days between Bournemouth/Villa and Villa/Southampton, so I don't expect any tinkering unless it's forced. It becomes three days each time from this game onward, until the last game of the season where we have four days between West Ham/Leicester.

neilv93

Saints are a very good team and better than the table suggests. I think it will be a tough game and they'll get in our faces and for that reason, I don't think it'll be another 3+ goal win.

That said though, home win.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    They’ve been good since restart. Looked very impressive first half vs Everton.

Fully expect us to win the way we are playing but this should be a tough outing.

El Zoido

This will be the hardest game since the restart, they’re playing well and we need to be up for this from the first minute. Hopefully Sheffield United can do us a favour tomorrow.

jamesjimmybyrondean

This will be the hardest game since the restart, they’re playing well and we need to be up for this from the first minute. Hopefully Sheffield United can do us a favour tomorrow.
    There it is! There's always a post calling our next game the hardest. Always!

Infra-red

Toughest of our next three games, this one. It is also the start of four games in nine days and therefore perhaps the first game where we might expect to see some rotation.

Mr Smith

Contrary to wide opinion, this will take more than just "keeping Ings quiet". We struggled when Villa pressed us early on, and Southampton press much more effectively. I'm a bit worried about Matic in this game actually, he looked quite leggy against Villa. This might be a good one for Fred.

Still think we'll win, but it'll be tight.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
    Southampton have been excellent since the restart. We'll have to be at it. Ward Prowse is great form, they've looked very solid and Ings a real handful at the moment. I'll be interested to see how we handle this one.

-Supreme-

I'd personally rotate 1 or 2 players as some haven't looked sharp last night.

I would bring Williams in for AWB at least, and potentially one of Matic or Pogba for Fred/McT

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    This will be a very tough game. We never have it easy with Southampton and they are well coached team. Need to be at our best to win.
    So, Ole's first real test since the last real test! Sheffield Utd was meant to be a real test, 3-0. Bournemouth; always give us trouble as they're game raisers,5-2. Brighton are tough team and we never have a good game down there, 3-0.Villa will be well up for it and Grealish will go all out,3-0.

Now Saints are the next Barca? Expect a real tough game...

GledTheRed

No changes this game is vital against a decent Southampton team. To be fair we have saved our legs last few games anyway by winning at a canter.

We can't rest anyone until the Europa League resumes in my opinion.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    No changes this game is vital against a decent Southampton team. To be fair we have saved our legs last few games anyway by winning at a canter.

We can't rest anyone until the Europa League resumes in my opinion.
    I think if City's ban is upheld, it will take the pressure of Ole to field the same starting XI every league game. We're pretty much assured 5th spot at the very worst, which will guarantee CL football. For this season we just need to secure the CL spot then we can focus on the trophies.

Al-T

Always used to be our bogey team, and for that reason I really dislike them. We need to come out all guns blazing.
    Agree. My 12 year old self was scarred by the 1976 Cup Final and I've detested them ever since.

GledTheRed

I think if City's ban is upheld, it will take the pressure of Ole to field the same starting XI every league game. We're pretty much assured 5th spot at the very worst, which will guarantee CL football. For this season we just need to secure the CL spot then we can focus on the trophies.
    When is the verdict due on City? 15th?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Southampton are in good form and will be the hardest game we've had since Tottenham.

Redmond and Ings are a big threat and they press very well - but as seen against City if you can play through that we will get pleny of chances.

I can see this being another high scoring match, I think 4-1 United.

Havak

Pokemon master
    The Scoop
    • David de Gea will make his 400th Appearance for Manchester United. More than every other Man Utd goalkeeper bar Alex Stepney (539).
    • Man Utd will want to keep up their current Premier League record of winning games in a row by a three goal margin or more (four games thus far) along with their unbeaten run in all competitions.
    • Bruno Fernandes will want to keep up his current form, 13 goal contributions in his first 10 games is a record as well.
    • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could name an unchanged side for the fifth league game in a row, four games in a row is already something that hadn't happened since 2006!
    • Mason Greenwood will be looking to continue his goal-scoring form with four goals in his last four starts.
    • Southampton have flown slightly under the radar since the restart, despite having little to play for. 3W 1D 1L from their five games including a triumph over Man City.
    • Danny Ings has four goals in his last five games and is in contention for the Golden Boot.
    Recent Meetings

19/20

Southampton 1-1 Man Utd

18/19
    Southampton 2-2 Man Utd
    Man Utd 3-2 Southampton

17/18
    Southampton 0-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 0-0 Southampton

Sylar

Start the same team. The five subs deal right now means we can essentially give half our lineup rest as were getting games done pretty much by half time now.
    We should go all out to do the same in this game as it might be the trickiest game we have left before Leicester.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
    Relax we got RVP back
    Ahh the Hat trick :drool:
    So, Ole's first real test since the last real test! Sheffield Utd was meant to be a real test, 3-0. Bournemouth; always give us trouble as they're game raisers,5-2. Brighton are tough team and we never have a good game down there, 3-0.Villa will be well up for it and Grealish will go all out,3-0.

Now Saints are the next Barca? Expect a real tough game...
    So, you see a pattern developing between such posts and results. So let's continue that way :D

Seriously though, we are in good moment and have lots of scoring options now, team is gelling well but we had false downs before so I want to be cautious. Yesterday too we let Villa edge it till penalty and Soton have better quality players. We need to control game from the go, like we did vs Sheffield and Brighton.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    I'd keep the same team in all league games. Let's not gamble with our CL position.
    If City don't get the ban overturned then we can probably afford to rotate at Palace assuming we beat Southampton though.

Chelsea have 4 days rest going into semi final. We will have 2.

Siorac

If City don't get the ban overturned then we can probably afford to rotate at Palace assuming we beat Southampton though.

Chelsea have 4 days rest going into semi final. We will have 2.
    I'd rather rest players against Chelsea than at Palace. Though yeah, if City's ban stands that changes things somewhat as we'd have to be very special to lose 5th from this position.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
    Scout
    Let's see how the CAF twists another game we would breeze through into our toughest game yet and a must win
    Southampton have only lost 3 away games by more then one goal this season... Once on the opening day and once to Liverpool (other one was West Ham)

So if we do breeze through this I'd say we'll have done very well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw