Manchester United vs. Stoke

Varun

Staff
I'd be surprised if he didnt. It'd be a massive downer for his confidence if he's dropped. That said, it'd be interesting to see our midfield. Not many options. Must win game though specially with what we've coming up after this. cannot drop points here.

buckooo1978

Why did he start against Liverpool :(
i was being sarcastic

insulting Liverpool that they adapted the stoke like tactics

i think its fair to say he's struggled against teams where he's been under pressure in the air

nimic

something nice
Scout
De Gea should start. His main issue seems to be confidence, and how is that ever going to improve if we always pull him out of games he's "expected" to do poorly in? And Stoke at that.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Fergie hopeful over trio | Football News | Sky Sports

Sir Alex Ferguson is relishing the return of Ashley Young, Tom Cleverley and Anderson in the coming weeks to boost Manchester United's push for a 20th league title.

Young and Anderson are nearing full fitness, with both due to train with the first team this week, while Cleverley is two weeks behind Young in his return.

While admitting Cleverley is 'nowhere near the first team at the moment', Ferguson believes he is making considerable progress in his bid to recover from ankle ligament damage sustained in October.

The United boss told the club's official website: "Cleverley is doing a lot of running. He's nowhere near the first team at the moment but he's doing a lot of running.
Terrific boost

"He'll be a terrific boost. It will be great to get the boy back because I think he's special.

"I expect (Young) to start training in the middle of the week, so he's on his way back. Cleverley is two weeks behind that.

"Anderson will be ready this week, too. He'll start training with us on Monday or Tuesday and then it gives me a collection of midfield players that should cope with anything that happens in the run-in.

"Michael Carrick's form has been unbelievable - he's been playing fantastic - and we'll also have Giggs, Scholes, Cleverley and Anderson, so that's a great group of midfield players that will definitely help us."

Godfather

We need movement through the middle. Another static performance like the one against LIverpool would be hard to take.
Cleverley/Jones fit probably? What about Anderson?

nemanja15

Jones could be fit to start in CM. Rooney could make it as well along with Rio. No-one else expected back for this game. On this basis, I'd go for:

de Gea

Rafael
Ferdinand
Evans
Evra

Valencia
Carrick
Jones
Park

Berbatov
Welbeck

SUBS: Lindegaard, Fabio, Smalling, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Hernandez.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
Jones could be fit to start in CM. Rooney could make it as well along with Rio. No-one else expected back for this game. On this basis, I'd go for:

de Gea

Rafael
Ferdinand
Evans
Evra

Valencia
Carrick
Jones
Park

Berbatov
Welbeck

SUBS: Lindegaard, Fabio, Smalling, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Hernandez.

So you'd play Rafa against Stoke and leave Smalling on the bench?

It'd be much smarter to play Smalling right back against Stoke, with Evans and Rio, Carrick and Jones in midfield. Gives us a biggish side to defend set pieces.

Northstand

Rooney and Nani not fit enough for this one?
According to the official website, Ferdinand is the only player missing from Saturday's starting eleven with a chance to play tomorrow. Even Jones and Anderson have been written off.

buckooo1978

for those in the UK

is this stream only or the pub for eastern european TV?

not on setanta ireland?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
EXCLUSIVE: De Gea calls in sick and Lindegaard leaves training ground on crutches

wtf ?? :eek:

David de Gea calls in sick and Anders Lindegaard leaves training ground on crutches | Mail Online

Manchester United's goalkeeping crisis deepened on Monday when David de Gea called in sick and Anders Lindegaard left the training ground on crutches.

De Gea was surprisingly recalled to the United line-up in place of Lindegaard for Saturday's FA Cup defeat at Liverpool following a four-match absence, but the young Spaniard was widely criticised for another uncertain performance.

It presented manager Sir Alex Ferguson with a difficult choice ahead of tonight's Premier League clash with Stoke at Old Trafford, but the United manager's options narrowed dramatically yesterday morning.

First, De Gea phoned to say that he was unwell and would not be coming in to train, then Lindegaard was injured during the session at Carrington and went home on crutches with his right foot in a protective boot.

Provided he has recovered, De Gea is expected to keep his place tonight, but third-choice Ben Amos and Tomasz Kuszczak - who last played in May - are on standby.

It is the latest twist in United's goalkeeping saga this season. Ferguson has been forced to defend De Gea, having paid Atletico Madrid £17.8million in the summer to make him Edwin van der Sar's successor as No 1 at Old Trafford. It also established the 21-year-old as the most expensive goalkeeper in British football history.

But he has struggled to adapt to the English game since, which has contrasted sharply with the displays of 27-year-old Lindegaard, a £3.5m signing from Norwegian club Aalesunds.

Ferguson, who dropped De Gea after a poor performance against Blackburn on New Year's Eve, acknowledged that the Spaniard remains a 'long-term project' in an interview with Inside United magazine.

He said: 'Anders has been playing recently but we know with David it's about experiencing English football and adjusting to it. He's only 21. It's a long-term project for David, we always knew that.'

Although De Gea gave one of his better performances when United drew 1-1 at Stoke in September, there are fears over how he would cope again under bombardment from a team Ferguson likens to the old Wimbledon.

'You know what Tony Pulis's teams are like,' said Ferguson. 'They all get stuck in and you have to cope with that.

'When Wimbledon first came into our division, nobody looked forward to playing against them. Stoke have the same quality of never giving in.'

Wayne Rooney, Phil Jones and Nani are unlikely to be fit to return tonight but Rio Ferdinand, out for two games with a back spasm, is expected to be in the starting line-up against a Stoke team led by former United trainee Ryan Shawcross.

'I wasn't near to the first team and the manager thought it was best for me to move on,' said Shawcross.

'I don't wonder about what might have been. We will go to Old Trafford as massive underdogs but hoping to prove a point.'

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Now there's a game that De Gea should DEFINITELY not start in.
Team should be...

GK: De Gea

RB: Rafael
CB: Smalling
CB: Evans
LB: Evra

RM: Valencia
CM: Carrick
CM: Scholes
LM: Park

CF: Berbatov
CF: Welbeck

Subs: Lindegaard, Fabio, Ferdinand, Fryers, Pogba, Giggs, Hernandez
:lol: very next post

Charlenefan, why De Gea against Stoke of all teams?

kps88

He started away to Stoke already and came out of that fine. That's infinitely harder than Stoke at home. No problem for me if he starts. Personally though, I would start Lindegaard so he gets some game time with the Chelsea game in mind.

Northstand

This is the kind of game where Berba should excel in. Scholes and Giggs may get a half each.
Yeah, I don't think Fergie is going to have any other option.

De Gea / Amos
Rafael
Ferdinand
Smalling
Evans
Carrick
Scholes / Giggs
Park
Valencia
Berbatov
Welbeck

Hopefully good enough to beat Stoke at OT but we desperately need three or four of the absentees back for the weekend.