Manchester United vs Valencia (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

northbynorthwest

Thought james was poor. First proper match i have seen him play
he may do well at RB, but with raphael there, i cant see a future for him. Hes not a winger thats for sure. very quick and good on the ball, but doesnt have the ability to beat a man

Herrera

Just saw some Liverpool fan say this

"They struggled to beat an even side, 8th place of La liga. The result can hardly be considered a victory. I can't stand the hypocrisy. Some of these fans (not all) are just extremely deluded. 27.5m no goals flop Fellaini scored today lol, he used the only goal he will ever score all season."

hehehe, bitters.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So we looked good today. That was really news for me because i thought we was horseshit and got a lucky win.
A win is a win is a win. If you don't like winning, then its easy to see why you might be disappointed.

Collectively, we've looked very good in the pre-season and no one disputes this.

Manutd89

A win is a win is a win. If you don't like winning, then its easy to see why you might be disappointed.

Collectively, we've looked very good in the pre-season and no one disputes this.
Yeah ofc you look away from this match everything has been great but i cant do that. What we saw today is the same thing i saw last season. I really thought we was going to kill it today and quite shocked how poor we looked. When valencia got their goal from a silly mistake the flahsback from fulham match was going trou my head. We werent creating anything always passing the ball in defence. No movement going forward. We never got around the sides. In middle we was pushed out. Defenders started to make mistakes and valencia if they were a litte better they would scored more goals.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah ofc you look away from this match everything has been great but i cant do that. What we saw today is the same thing i saw last season. I really thought we was going to kill it today and quite shocked how poor we looked. When valencia got their goal from a silly mistake the flahsback from fulham match was going trou my head. We werent creating anything always passing the ball in defence. No movement going forward. We never got around the sides. In middle we was pushed out. Defenders started to make mistakes and valencia if they were a litte better they would scored more goals.
I don't think anyone expected us to "kill it" tonight. Valencia were a bit more formidable than we may have expected but otherwise we did quite well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We played pretty similarly against Inter and Liverpool.

We played almost exactly that badly for the entire season last year....
We had a poor first half against Liverpool, but were very good in the 2nd. Winning 3-1 can't be anything but a good thing.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
So in other words you havent seen any progress since LVG came?
We've made progress of course but to say we've been fantastic is wrong. People are still getting swept up in having a brilliant new manager and not having David Moyes.

We were great against LA Galaxy obviously though I bet we'd have beaten them under Moyes. We were good against Madrid too but we were caught out against Roma, weren't very good against Inter and were the worst team in the first half against Liverpool so we did well to beat them in the end.

People forget we had plenty of possession in games last year under Moyes, more than we actually had in the few years before under SAF. We just didn't do anything with it because we don't have enough quality and barring a few good parts of one touch, quick passing under LVG we look much the same going forward and worse at the back.

We had a poor first half against Liverpool, but were very good in the 2nd. Winning 3-1 can't be anything but a good thing.
Winning 3-1 against that shower is always good but I wouldn't have said we were 'very' good against them second half. We improved and they got worse.

bleedred

So in other words you havent seen any progress since LVG came?
Players seem to be putting in that extra effort and results seem to be going our way. But , the honeymoon period won't last for long. Our play was very similar to last year. Had no control of the game, and always going passing to the wings and crossing it when there are just two players against a defensive line of 4-5.

We created nothing centrally again. Some of the intricate play was good, but we need to have players who can control the midfield and dictate the tempo. The midfield was completely overrun today. As much as I like Fletcher and admire the way he has come back into the game, he should not be starting the games for us. I can't think of many chances we created in the game which was really worrying.

Acole9

Outstanding
We beat the holders of the Emirates Cup and Arsenal beat the champions ;).

Mali_Zeus

We've made progress of course but to say we've been fantastic is wrong. People are still getting swept up in having a brilliant new manager and not having David Moyes.

We were great against LA Galaxy obviously though I bet we'd have beaten them under Moyes. We were good against Madrid too but we were caught out against Roma, weren't very good against Inter and were the worst team in the first half against Liverpool so we did well to beat them in the end.

People forget we had plenty of possession in games last year under Moyes, more than we actually had in the few years before under SAF. We just didn't do anything with it because we don't have enough quality and barring a few good parts of one touch, quick passing under LVG we look much the same going forward and worse at the back.
I wouldnt say we look worse at the back, we could have been better of course but in most games we looked comfortable. Of course injuries are always looming and we need a new CB and players need to understand a new system and all.

In attack we looked better, not a lot better, but better. Not the same I think. I know we werent fantastic or sthing but progress can be seen and time is on LVG's side.

Last edited:

fallengt

I thought we were shit. Had nice possession in the first half, didn't convert it, 2 lucky goals. Still doesn't look confident with the ball/ link up play at all.

northbynorthwest

Players seem to be putting in that extra effort and results seem to be going our way. But , the honeymoon period won't last for long. Our play was very similar to last year. Had no control of the game, and always going passing to the wings and crossing it when there are just two players against a defensive line of 4-5.

We created nothing centrally again. Some of the intricate play was good, but we need to have players who can control the midfield and dictate the tempo. The midfield was completely overrun today. As much as I like Fletcher and admire the way he has come back into the game, he should not be starting the games for us. I can't think of many chances we created in the game which was really worrying.
herrera is good though. maybe takes the safer option a few too many times. We badly need a winger who can open up defenders. Barcelona have messi, bayern have robben, chelsea have hazard. Its either that or we play like city and dominate teams

Mali_Zeus

Well it wasnt a good game but it wasnt so bad either. I think we'll look better on saturday. Fletcher will probably start cause who could start instead of him? :) Cleverley..?

Midfield was overrun when we made all those subs. Not before that I think.

As I said in a response to matherto's post time is on LVGs side and I think we can only be better in the future. In any case players seem up for it as you said.

jasT1981

well, that is pre-season over. I know it is only pre-season but I am happy. 6 wins from 6 games.

Now, some of the displays have not been fantastic, but Utd stuck in and went for it right until the end with a bit of grit. That is what was missing last year. The team willing to go the extra mile even if they were not playing well and grinding out results.

Not saying we will win the league, still a lot of work needs to be done. But a lot of positive so far. I am more optimistic for this coming season, than I was at this point last year.

Dylan94

Just back from the game, short summary for what it's worth. Blackett; impressive and ready to step up to the first team. Still worried about Jones and Smalling together at the back. Herrera and Mata played well. Rooney had a poor game. Fellaini did very well when he came on. The fans booing him was disgusting.

Some nice passing and interplay but cross field and long balls were still largely inaccurate as was the crossing. But it's only been a month since Louis took charge and we can't expect a complete transformation overnight. And Van Gaal in the flesh just oozes even more class and confidence than he does on tv. Roll on Saturday!

northbynorthwest

well, that is pre-season over. I know it is only pre-season but I am happy. 6 wins from 6 games.

Now, some of the displays have not been fantastic, but Utd stuck in and went for it right until the end with a bit of grit. That is what was missing last year. The team willing to go the extra mile even if they were not playing well and grinding out results.

Not saying we will win the league, still a lot of work needs to be done. But a lot of positive so far. I am more optimistic for this coming season, than I was at this point last year.
well we drew againts inter

bleedred

Well it wasnt a good game but it wasnt so bad either. I think we'll look better on saturday. Fletcher will probably start cause who could start instead of him? :) Cleverley..?

Midfield was overrun when we made all those subs. Not before that I think.

As I said in a response to matherto's post time is on LVGs side and I think we can only be better in the future. In any case players seem up for it as you said.
Exactly. He is just starting just because we have no one better and it frustrates me that we haven't addressed the midfield issue again in this window. Herrera is a good signing, obviously, but our midfield will again be similar to last year with no Carrick for the first few months.

If that's the case, I might as well go and play for united and I will put in a lot more effort than them. Is that all , what is needed. Just putting in the effort??. We seriously lack quality in midfield and in turn will be more problematic for the forward players to get the supply. Rooney and Hernandez had nothing to work on today.

We did not create a single chance in the first half at home with probably our best side against a team who are eighth in their league. Its all reminds of last season, when we knew feck all about what to do with the ball apart from passing it sideways.

itso 7

I think the front three didn't pull their weight, they were moving too vertically and no one was offering support to the wingbacks meaning that they were isolated on many an occasion, James in particular suffered from this. Mata didn't get into the game at all, Herrera after playing the safe first pass was moving forward too soon leaving Fletcher without someone to play one-twos with, I felt we needed to play centrally a lot more. I don't know why we are still to wing centric when we have Mata,Rooney and Herrera in the team, I think our wingbacks will be more effective if they are not our primary tool of attack, making late runs on the wing when least expected .

Clas Sified

Just saw some Liverpool fan say this

"They struggled to beat an even side, 8th place of La liga. The result can hardly be considered a victory. I can't stand the hypocrisy. Some of these fans (not all) are just extremely deluded. 27.5m no goals flop Fellaini scored today lol, he used the only goal he will ever score all season."

hehehe, bitters.
Well considering we beat the Scouse 3-1..... :lol: Bloody Scousers.

Diadem @t.banty

My opinion on the match.
The defence was solid, especially with Blackett in the middle but really, the kid is becoming something else.
Young was dangerous with his pace and crossing while James looked decent although he was quiet and offered no threat.
Herrera was good in the midfield, especially with his crossfield passing but I would say he offerred no penetration through the middle and as such, Mata game suffered. I'm not decieved with the midfield dominating possession because it was as a result of Valencia's defensive tactic which allowed us to have more of the ball but the truth is we didn't control the game.
Rooney is better in a striker and should be be paired with forwards who offers much more than Hernandez because Rooney's deficiency becomes more apparent when he's asked to play the linking role (Robben's role for Holland). But as a striker with a player like Januzaj/Welbeck alongside him, he's good to go. I'm sure the same problem would arise when Rvp returns to the team and the question would be, who will be the striker?
The best thing for Kagawa is to leave, if he's going to be shoehorned around various position, imaging him playing as the striker! He's too good to be a utility man and if Van gaal won't define his role in the team, it would better for him to leave.
Lastly, eventhough Fellaini is a slow, clumsy and red card waiting to happen player, his best role still remains the box to box role and not an holding midfield role. He was fantastic tonight and should be aknowledged.

Last edited:

Mali_Zeus

Exactly. He is just starting just because we have no one better and it frustrates me that we haven't addressed the midfield issue again in this window. Herrera is a good signing, obviously, but our midfield will again be similar to last year with no Carrick for the first few months.

If that's the case, I might as well go and play for united and I will put in a lot more effort than them. Is that all , what is needed. Just putting in the effort??. We seriously lack quality in midfield and in turn will be more problematic for the forward players to get the supply. Rooney and Hernandez had nothing to work on today.

We did not create a single chance in the first half at home with probably our best side against a team who are eighth in their league. Its all reminds of last season, when we knew feck all about what to do with the ball apart from passing it sideways.
That's all true.As for midfield well I hope we'll get Vidal or whatever mid cause Herrera cant do everything by himself, he need a good partner in midfield.

As for other things, I think we'll look better in attack with Welbeck rather than with Hernandez, and with Shaw instead of James. And of course we're waiting for RVP to start playing too.

Mata was pretty invisible too and I think we lacked cohesion and good movement today. Midfield wasnt our only problem but lack of movement or good movement that is too.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I think it's really satisfying to hear LVG call out poor performances. At least we know what the man's standards are.

Diadem @t.banty

I don't understand the criticism towards Cleverley. I know He's not a quality midfielder but the truth is the role he played isn't his cup of tea. He's neither a holding nor deep-lying midfielder for Christ sake!
Cleverley is at his best when he's allowed freedom to move in the midfield because his movement is his best attribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.