Kick-off
Sun, 13 August 2017 @ 4:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
    I think that's the closest thing to our objective best XI as things stand.

Trouble is, I expect Jose with another one of this 'Surprise Lingard/Fellaini!' inclusions.
    Fellaini played better than our other midfielders as of late so wont really say that's our objective best XI

Mr Smith

I think Mourinho will be pissed off with Martial's camp for encouraging Inter/Spurs to make bids. It showed in the Super Cup, it'll show in lineup today. Rashford to start, Lingard as a sub. Martial won't even get an appearance.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but if this happens, we should be concerned.
    Where on earth... I mean where on earth do you get this idea??? Shocking post.

Shiva87

Good post. The highlighted bit is something a lot of people miss. Before bids are made, clubs feel a player's camp first. If the vibes are encouraging, then they bid. Jose complained last season that Martial was listening too much to his agent who, according to Jose, was not advicing him well. What if this has not changed much? What if Martial's camp has been sending all the wrong signals all along? Jose is very big on loyalty. I doubt if he is such a poor observer of talent that he would not have noticed how immensely talented Martial is. Could it be that his problem with Martial is more of a perceived loyalty issue than a talent/ability one? He is known to often bench players who won't be staying long with the team. In the other, if this is not the case, then for whatever reasons, Jose simply does not rare Martial high and that would be a pity.

My bet is on Martial leaving United this window or next Summer. I hope I lose the bet because I like him a lot as a player.
    I have a different perspective on this. Jose gave a candid interview over the summer about Rashford and why he likes him so much. He feels that Marcus as a player can be put under pressure and will take it on his chin, and perform the way Jose wants him too. He doesn't want 'soft players'. For me, it looked like Jose didn't take as quickly to Martial as he didn't see the same response.

This season, Martial has come back to the club and has been putting some brilliant performances in pre-season. (Probably better than what he did all of last season). Jose would have noticed that. A public spat with a wife (involving a child), a new GF and tough club environment can be very tough for a 19 year old.

Now - with a rest - a few things behind him, Martial seems to have refocused. Jose may well have kept him on the bench against Real knowing fully well that he will start on the weekend and to see how he responds to that. He will need to be able to rotate between Mata, Martial, Mhiki, and Rashford this season to keep everyone fresh. So, it could be more of a test of attitude than anything else.

I believe that if Marital went back to training pitch without letting his shoulder drop after the RM game, there is big chance he will start today.

Woodzy

4 - 1. Lukaku hat trick and Pogba.

Hernandez to score too and continue the trend of debut strikers getting off to a great start.

GM K

I have a different perspective on this. Jose gave a candid interview over the summer about Rashford and why he likes him so much. He feels that Marcus as a player can be put under pressure and will take it on his chin, and perform the way Jose wants him too. He doesn't want 'soft players'. For me, it looked like Jose didn't take as quickly to Martial as he didn't see the same response.

This season, Martial has come back to the club and has been putting some brilliant performances in pre-season. (Probably better than what he did all of last season). Jose would have noticed that. A public spat with a wife (involving a child), a new GF and tough club environment can be very tough for a 19 year old.

Now - with a rest - a few things behind him, Martial seems to have refocused. Jose may well have kept him on the bench against Real knowing fully well that he will start on the weekend and to see how he responds to that. He will need to be able to rotate between Mata, Martial, Mhiki, and Rashford this season to keep everyone fresh. So, it could be more of a test of attitude than anything else.

I believe that if Marital went back to training pitch without letting his shoulder drop after the RM game, there is big chance he will start today.
    Good perspective, mate.

James Peril

All that matters today is 3 points, nothing else is important. Do not care about performance or chances, just the win. Could be a gritty 1-0 in the 90th minute - at this point in the season at least. Saying that, wouldn't mind a 4-0 with goals from Lukaku and Pogba to ease off the pressure. The sooner Lukaku bangs in a few and makes himself heard on the board, the better of course.

West Ham have gotten quite a few new players in their team, and medicore+ players like Arnautovic take a while to adjust to a new team.

pseudo_canadian

Looking forward to see us get an early goal, then miss loads of chances, finally followed up by a Chicharito injury-time equalizer.

ManuMou

The battle of Rash vs MArtial shall be revealed in seconds !

Me going for Martial !

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
    All that matters today is 3 points, nothing else is important. Do not care about performance or chances, just the win. Could be a gritty 1-0 in the 90th minute - at this point in the season at least. Saying that, wouldn't mind a 4-0 with goals from Lukaku and Pogba to ease off the pressure. The sooner Lukaku bangs in a few and makes himself heard on the board, the better of course.

West Ham have gotten quite a few new players in their team, and medicore+ players like Arnautovic take a while to adjust to a new team.
    That's some weird logic.

This early in the season our performance and way of playing matters quite a lot. If it was mid-seasons or the end of the season then yes it would be all about the three points but right now it's if we draw, but find some mistakes in our tactics that we can improve upon for the coming season that would be much better than just scrapping 3 points.

ManuMou

At this point in the season......1st game.......all else being equal, I would take performance over 3 points

For example, an outperformance by Martial + Mkhi + Pogba + Lukaku without goal > scrappy 90min+ Chicharito goal

Peanut Butter

This thread is going to be interesting at 4pm onwards.

I promise not to peek in. If we're not 3-0 up by half time there will be meltdowns. Probably.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
    Martial and Lukaku have insane records against West Ham so it would be great if we could see them start together

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
    This thread is going to be interesting at 4pm onwards.

I promise not to peek in. If we're not 3-0 up by half time there will be meltdowns. Probably.
    By half time?

Try fifteen minutes. There'll be at least forty posts slagging off the team if we haven't put three in by fifteen minutes.

Vaibhav Raj

Ok let's play the hard workers again this season don't be surprised when we are the least scoring team in the top six again. Consistently putting in a shift can't be better than inconsistently producing the goods. But to each his own
    I know we will probably finish sixth again if we stuck to likes of Lingard, Rashford and Fellaini aka the hard workers. But Martial didn't show anything last season that assured a lot of us fans or even the manager that things will be any better with him starting if not worse. We would have probably dropped out of EL in knock out stages had we persisted with Martial given the kind of form he was in.

I am all for him starting today and him being chances over other players this season. I am with you and everyone else on that. If he does well, he could lift the team up on his own, I know that. What grinds my gears is people blaming manager, Rashford, Zlatan and every thing else on this planet for Martial's poor form when it was evident he had only himself to blame. I just don't like how everything has to be about Martial not starting and Manager treating him unfairly is all. Let's hope he performs the way we all expect him to perform and earns his place back.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
    By half time?

Try fifteen minutes. There'll be at least forty posts slagging off the team if we haven't put three in by fifteen minutes.
    First meltdown before the match when Martial isn't starting. Then after about 10-15 minutes of the game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Nemanja Matic image Nemanja Matic 66% of 1271 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1051 ratings.

Score Predictions