Kick-off
Wed, 22 September 2021 @ 7:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

Don't think West Ham will be bothered by this. Not with Europa League games added to the mix this season.

I expect Moyes to field a weakened team, they'll still be stubborn. But I'd expect even a weakened Utd side to beat them at least 2-0.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    Hope Phil Jones gets a run out tonight, and it'd be cool to see him in midfield like he occasionally played in his first season here. I remember him playing particularly well in midfield away at Villa back then (think he scored too).

As long as his knees don't turn to porridge, it surely can't be any worse than Fred can it? Just have him run around, barging into people, maybe a ground-header or two, for old time's sake.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    Hope he gives McBeek a go

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
    Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Hope Phil Jones gets a run out tonight, and it'd be cool to see him in midfield like he occasionally played in his first season here. I remember him playing particularly well in midfield away at Villa back then (think he scored too).

As long as his knees don't turn to porridge, it surely can't be any worse than Fred can it? Just have him run around, barging into people, maybe a ground-header or two, for old time's sake.
    Oh give over :houllier:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
    Can't wait to see loads of players start that people complain don't start in the PL and CL and be as shit as they usually are.

Raven

Is Amad fit for this? Would be good to see him get some time on the pitch if he is. Would be great to see Elanga start as well.

It's a good opportunity for VDB, Martial, Sancho, Dalot and Lindelof to get some game time and hopefully some confidence. I'm actually looking forward to this one.

M Bison

Supports
    York City
    Its a difficult situation for Ole i think. I'd love to see some of the young lads get a run out, Elanga, Hannibal etc, and even Donny, but the problem is if by playing a weaker team we end up losing, Ole will be slated by the media and fans. Is it a safer bet to go with a stronger team and target the competition as something we could/should win?

stu_1992

I personally would risk putting Lindelof and Bailly in there. I know Maguire tends to play every game, but there is really is no need for that, the other two should suffice for this competition, especially if West Ham rotate too. I would definitely start Sancho, and hope to get him into some form. Lingard I would definitely expect to start, and likely Martial too who probably needs a big performance if he stands any chance of playing games anytime soon. Matic will probably get a game but who knows who will be along side him. You'd like ot think Van De Beek gets another chance but it could easily be Fred or McTominay. Not sure what Henderson's current condition is, so unless he's ready to start, it's probably De Gea in goal again.

Adcuth

Would be nice to see Elangaga feature at some point. He’s always impressed in the limited senior squad showing. With his pace and pressing, he can take the Dan James profile in the squad.
    Who the feck is that guy?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    Who else do we even have in the squad to rotate with Fred? Matic, perhaps, but he can barely run. The other option is to just play Fred every single game, even in the EFL cup against 2nd string sides, which wouldn't be wise.

If he's gonna be rotated, the EFL cup is the game to do it against what will probably be mostly West Ham 2nd stringers. I'd rather that opportunity was given to a youngster, but we seemingly don't have a young DM to bring in. Outside of Fred, McT and Matic, Jones is possibly the only one in the squad who has played the position before.

MattyLT

Difficult game, and Ole needs to chase trophies this season. So I doubt there will be massive rotations for this match.

------------------- DDG ---------------------
    AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
    ------------ Fred - McTominay -------
    - Greenwood - Bruno - Sancho -
    ------------------ Ronaldo ----------------

VDB, Cavani and Lindelov to come on pretty early if things go well. Pogba if not.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
    Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Who else do we even have in the squad to rotate with Fred? Matic, perhaps, but he can barely run. The other option is to just play Fred every single game, even in the EFL cup against 2nd string sides, which wouldn't be wise.

If he's gonna be rotated, the EFL cup is the game to do it against what will probably be mostly West Ham 2nd stringers. I'd rather that opportunity was given to a youngster, but we seemingly don't have a young DM to bring in. Outside of Fred, McT and Matic, Jones is possibly the only one in the squad who has played the position before.
    That's not what you said in your post though, you implied Fred is no better than Phil Jones, which is ridiculous.

Strats

I hope we rotate, but don’t think Ole will do so. Might see a few changes but I think he’ll go for a strong team

He’s had a tendency to not take the chance to rest vital players like Bruno and Rashford when they have desperately needed it.

Was infuriating to see Rashford take part in games where he clearly wasn’t fit.

Mickson

Appart from the guy who got injured, who is featuring regularly from the academy for them ?
    We have Rashford, Greenwood, McTomminay, with Lingard on the bench as well and Pogba if we can count him. Many youngsters got their debut and featured under Ole as well.

So I don’t think it’s pertinent to criticize the club about that when we are the big club with the most academy graduates in the team.
    It's 5-10 years ago some of them made their debut. It's like saying Klopp gives youth a chance because Steven Gerrard was in their team once. Totally irrelevant. Ole was great at giving youth a chance earlier, but in the last 1-2 seasons he has been very reserved which you will see a good example of tonight. Compare to other teams and see the difference, even top teams who don't have this tradition that United has.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    That's not what you said in your post though, you implied Fred is no better than Phil Jones, which is ridiculous.
    I said playing Jones tonight, in the context of tonight's game (since that what this thread is about) couldn't be much worse. If you remove all context to just Fred is no better than Jones, then yes, that is ridiculous, and I don't agree with it. The context being we likely are not going to prioritise this competition, and West Ham will likely field a weaker team than at the weekend.

I wouldn't want to see it in the PL or the CL any time soon, but given what we'll likely be up against, I don't think it would do much worse tonight than any of the 3 first team CMs we have.

Strelok

Its a difficult situation for Ole i think. I'd love to see some of the young lads get a run out, Elanga, Hannibal etc, and even Donny, but the problem is if by playing a weaker team we end up losing, Ole will be slated by the media and fans. Is it a safer bet to go with a stronger team and target the competition as something we could/should win?
    Not me tbh I can't care less about this cup. Ole should wise up and dumb this like Klopp. Play the backups so they can have some game time, see what they can do and give the major of the first XI a rest. If we win, good if not big fecking deal tbh.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    Heaton

Dalot
    Lindelof
    Maguire
    Shaw

McTominay
    Beek

Greenwood
    Lingard
    Sancho

Martial

Bertie Wooster

I'm worried at the appearance of too many players desperately short of first team games in these predicted sides. There's no way we should start more than one or two of the likes of Dalot, Jones, Bailly, Telles, VDB, Mata, Cavani...

That's way too many players lacking match sharpness in one go. The priority of competive knockout Cup games should be: 1) winning the game. 2) If we can rest a few of our key players while still winning it then all the better.

I don't mind resting some key players to bring in potential starters like Henderson, Lindelof, Lingard, VDB. And hopefully we can give a bit of game time to a talented youngster like Elanga. But there's no way we should risk the game to such an extent by throwing in far too many players struggling for game time and match sharpness like Jones, Bailly, Telles, Mata, Cavani...

0le

Heaton
    Dalot Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Matic Beek
    Greenwood Lingard Sancho
    Martial​

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
    Think West Ham will start a 2nd XI because Moyes doesn't care about winning trophies. As such I'd go with a fairly young lineup ourselves and bring a few big guns off the bench if needed.

Heaton/Henderson
    Dalot Varane Lindelof Telles
    Hannibal Matic
    Amad Shoretire Sancho
    Martial

Subs on if we're struggling: Greenwood, McT, Ronaldo

Subs on if we're winning by a couple: Elanga, McT, Fish

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Why do many think Heaton will play over Henderson, when Henderson has been playing matches for the reserves? Has Ole said something?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    I'm worried at the appearance of too many players desperately short of first team games in these predicted sides. There's no way we should start more than one or two of the likes of Dalot, Jones, Bailly, Telles, VDB, Mata, Cavani...

That's way too many players lacking match sharpness in one go. The priority of competive knockout Cup games should be: 1) winning the game. 2) If we can rest a few of our key players while still winning it then all the better.

I don't mind resting some key players to bring in potential starters like Henderson, Lindelof, Lingard, VDB. And hopefully we can give a bit of game time to a talented youngster like Elanga. But there's no way we should risk the game to such an extent by throwing in far too many players struggling for game time and match sharpness like Jones, Bailly, Telles, Mata, Cavani...
    100% agreed. I’d like to see the Varane/Lindelöf pairing get a run out, Dalot, VDB, Matic, Lingard and Sancho. If Shaw and Bruno/Pogba play too, then great’.

It does nobody any good to throw an XI together against a decent team.

Redfrog

It's 5-10 years ago some of them made their debut. It's like saying Klopp gives youth a chance because Steven Gerrard was in their team once. Totally irrelevant. Ole was great at giving youth a chance earlier, but in the last 1-2 seasons he has been very reserved which you will see a good example of tonight. Compare to other teams and see the difference, even top teams who don't have this tradition that United has.
    Ole played decent amount of youngster last year. Amad, Elanga Shoretire all played a bit.

To play an entire 11in a cup game because you want the first team to rest is not giving the youngsters a chance and that’s what Klopp do most of the time. So he can say he played youngsters and he has an excuse if he lose.

There is no point to play youngsters only in some cup games to sell them later on.

Now if you look at us, we play youngsters that have a real chance to make it here and who are ready or almost ready. That way you play less youngsters but if they do it they will stay probably all their career here. It was always like that for United. If you are good enough you are old enough. But I don’t see the point to play youngsters only to play them.

Ole play less now as we have a better team and he needs to give game time to everyone. And honestly I don’t know why is that a problem. The youngsters should earn it not the other way round. The bests of the lot will find a way to make it, the rest will find another club after a very good formation here.

Everyone like a lad from the rank to make it but we should not force it. A lot were very hyped about and finally after many chances showed nothing.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
    Supports
    Ajax & United
    Ole out or in, surely everyone is excited for tonight's match and that is definitely a good thing which hasnt always been the case since SAF's retirement.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    Ole played decent amount of youngster last year. Amad, Elanga Shoretire all played a bit.

To play an entire 11in a cup game because you want the first team to rest is not giving the youngsters a chance and that’s what Klopp do most of the time. So he can say he played youngsters and he has an excuse if he lose.

There is no point to play youngsters only in some cup games to sell them later on.

Now if you look at us, we play youngsters that have a real chance to make it here and who are ready or almost ready. That way you play less youngsters but if they do it they will stay probably all their career here. It was always like that for United. If you are good enough you are old enough. But I don’t see the point to play youngsters only to play them.

Ole play less now as we have a better team and he needs to give game time to everyone. And honestly I don’t know why is that a problem. The youngsters should earn it not the other way round. The bests of the lot will find a way to make it, the rest will find another club after a very good formation here.

Everyone like a lad from the rank to make it but we should not force it. A lot were very hyped about and finally after many chances showed nothing.
    good post. I think almost everyone has said this or a variation of this to Mickson at one stage or another but he just won’t accept it. I’d also really like to see Hannibal and Elanga involved tonight. If not tonight then they probably won’t have many more chances before they end up going out on loan. Fair enough. Apart from them we may as well field a strong a team as possible with all the senior international squad players we have who will be needing games. The longer we stay in the competition the more chances we have to get fitness for the older guys and possibly give debuts or more minutes to the younger guys (but that’s depending on the opposition and who is fit)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 237 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win