Manchester United Women | Squad recruitment underway

Web of Bissaka

Manchester United Women's manager Casey Stoney believes people will be 'surprised' when they see who she has recruited to play for the team.

Since being appointed earlier this month Stoney has been piecing together her coaching staff and has already agreed 17 players ahead of the season starting in August and she was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to recruit players despite being in the second tier.

"I thought the recruitment process was going to more difficult because we're not in the top tier, so I thought that would be a huge challenge for us," Stoney told MEN Sport.

"But because It's Manchester United and because of the plans and the visions of the club and what we can do for the women's game and the profile of the players it has been a bit easier than expected."

When Manchester City re-launched their team and entered WSL 1 they poached a lot of players from their biggest rivals and Stoney has suggested her stature within the game has allowed her approach players in a way other teams would not be able to.

"Obviously I know the game, I have been in it a long time. Whereas other clubs might have to go through agents I go straight to the player because they know me," Stoney explained.

And Stoney suggested United's team will have players from teams currently in the top tier and players who played for United as girls but had to move on to step up due to the lack of women's team.

"We have tried to get experienced players because when you are building something you need them, but we have also gone for some really young and exciting players," she said.

"We have a good blend and each year we will try and strengthen and make sure we can compete. I have been relentless in trying to recruit the best players and we are going to put them in some uncomfortable positions and really push them to develop.

"I can't ask players to drop down if I can't make those promises to stretch and challenge them."

The team will be based at Manchester United's old training ground The Cliff and play their home games at Leigh Sports Village. While that means they are away from the first team at Carrington, Stoney says she prefers it that way.

"I am happy with it because we can do what we want when we want," Stoney said. "I have been in women's football a long time and as women's team you will never take precedent over the men's team.

"They are discussing plans to expand Carrington and the reason we're not there is because they just don't have the capacity for any more teams. But our team will be part of those expansion plans.

"They're investing £1.2m at The Cliff and it's a building full of history and tradition so to have that as a base is brilliant."

"The reason I took this job is because they told me they don't do anything unless they can do it properly and already they have fully integrated the team within the club and I have been at a lot of clubs where that hasn't happened.

"We want to build this team and put them on a platform where they can be succesful.

"We have a team now that I think is good enough to try and get up within the first season and that's what we're trying to do. These are the first 20 players ever in history to represent Manchester United Women's team on a professional level.

"They've been given the shirt and it's up to them to keep it."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...sfer-news/man-utd-women-team-players-14795543
So far 17 players, good backing by club, mixture of experienced players, young players and the "academy" as expected, training base is at United's old training ground, The Cliff which will get upgraded. :devil: Play for the shirt.

Trizy

So who are the 17 players? :drool:.

Surely there's leaks!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Sounds like we're making good progress.

It's particularly nice to read:
"The reason I took this job is because they told me they don't do anything unless they can do it properly and already they have fully integrated the team within the club and I have been at a lot of clubs where that hasn't happened."

Incidentally, for anyone who doesn't know The Cliff - it's not just an old park playing field somewhere.

The first team didn't move out until '99. That's right, we won the treble from there. It was our training base for a long time - the Busby Babes, Charlton, Best effectively grew up there.

As well as an outdoor pitch, it's got all the other stuff that you'd expect of a training base like indoor facilities - for fitness and 5-a-side, treatment rooms and a canteen. It's not been much used by United in recent years, but nor has it been allowed to fall apart - youth teams, the United Foundation and foreign teams (who needed a base to prepare to play City or whatever) have used it.

That 1.2m refurb should tidy it up nicely.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
@Niall There really should be a women's section on the forum, like we have for the youth team and the WC.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I'm actually so happy we have finally gotten a women's team. Always felt odd how a team of our stature didn't have one.

RedTiger

Half mast
I honestly believe we'll be the best women's side on the face of the planet within the next 5 years. The amount of young girls that dream of playing for the club worldwide as well as the excellent training facilities ( giving them the Cliff is brilliant) bodes well

I can't wait!

RedPamie

Can't wait to know the players we signed! Any leaks?

I browsed some women's footy sites and no news/rumors about players talking to us...

And the more I think about it, Casey Stoney is a great appointment. :drool:

Reactions: Penna

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
We aren't buying a team, are we? :eek:
Looks like we may have done a tour of end of contract players etc and picked up some goodies. With any luck we might even get some of our own trainees back.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-redfern-liverpool-ladies-exodus-gemma-bonner
It would be interesting if we've gone poaching, for example:
As a result, there are a number of rumoured exits at that level – the England Under-19 and Under-20 goalkeeper Emily Ramsey, a product of the Manchester United Centre of Excellence, has already announced her departure. With seven teams in relatively easy travelling distance now offering at least semi-professional football, the competition for youth signatures is fierce.

DBT85

Great to get some news about what's going on. Can't wait to see them playing.

Makes sense that the badge and the ambitions can pull in talent from other teams. A bunch of them were probably trained by us in the first place.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Another one for the speculation list:
Katie Zelem has revealed she has left Juventus after winning the title with the team in its maiden Serie A season. The 22-year-old joined after four years at Liverpool, where she scored 10 goals in 38 games. Zelem is a product of Manchester United’s Centre of Excellence and a return to the new senior side wouldn’t a be surprise.
It's worth remembering that unlike the men a lot of the potential recruits won't be on long contracts, in fact a lot will be on annual renewal. Others will currently be on semi-pro contracts that will let them move. Once you move away from the England squad (who mostly have special contracts) in a lot of cases it will be a question of convincing them that it's good for their career.

DBT85

Quick question about the WSL, why is there only 18 games a season?
Only 10 teams and they don't play each other 4 times.

The 18-19 WSL will have 11 teams and the Championship will have 12.

More places were available but not enough teams matched the criteria to get a license.

Grande

Another one for the speculation list:

It's worth remembering that unlike the men a lot of the potential recruits won't be on long contracts, in fact a lot will be on annual renewal. Others will currently be on semi-pro contracts that will let them move. Once you move away from the England squad (who mostly have special contracts) in a lot of cases it will be a question of convincing them that it's good for their career.
Katie Zelem and Emile Ramsey would really be something, though I’ll believe it when I see them in red at The Cliff... Casey Stoney really seems like a good start though. Grounded, ambitious, intelligent, aware of United traditions. Long time since that kind of coach/manager was around, aye?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There are challenges in the women's football that the men don't face. I'm working with an Icelandic NT player who just returned from playing abroad. She could have stayed longer but she said it wasn't worth it because the pay wasn't that great and here she can play with a squad that's decent and work alongside her football career.

That could mean that United might not be able to attract older and experienced players that aren't from the UK & Ireland because they might be thinking about settling down. If United can pay then the club won't have any problems.

Nick7

Only 10 teams and they don't play each other 4 times.

The 18-19 WSL will have 11 teams and the Championship will have 12.

More places were available but not enough teams matched the criteria to get a license.
Ah I'd assume it was like smaller mens leagues. Ireland only has 10 teams but it's 4 games against each side. Is there any reason teams only play each other twice?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Ah I'd assume it was like smaller mens leagues. Ireland only has 10 teams but it's 4 games against each side. Is there any reason teams only play each other twice?
One aspect is financial I think. They don't want to force the clubs to hire too many players until the game is on a more solid footing, the clubs (mostly) don't have their own stadiums, they're sharing them with other clubs or other sports. That said, the League won't be the only football they play, there are also two cup competitions, with one of them using a group stage. The top two have European competition as well, plus they provide a big chunk of the national teams. The pro game is still in its infancy really.

This thread www.redcafe.net/threads/the-competitions-a-beginners-guide-to-the-structure-of-the-womens-game.439524/ is probably a better place for that discussion though.

Nick7

One aspect is financial I think. They don't want to force the clubs to hire too many players until the game is on a more solid footing, the clubs (mostly) don't have their own stadiums, they're sharing them with other clubs or other sports. That said, the League won't be the only football they play, there are also two cup competitions, with one of them using a group stage. The top two have European competition as well, plus they provide a big chunk of the national teams. The pro game is still in its infancy really.

This thread www.redcafe.net/threads/the-competitions-a-beginners-guide-to-the-structure-of-the-womens-game.439524/ is probably a better place for that discussion though.
Interesting. Thank you!

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've watched a bit of international womens footy and Danielle van de Donk is a favourite of mine. Let's poach her from Arsenal Alexis/RvP style.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I suspect we will go after some of our old "Regional Talent Club" (youth team) players, just as a matter of pride after losing them to our rivals. I think we'll also try and cash-in on some of the unhappiness we're hearing about at clubs like Liverpool (where lots of players are leaving) and Sunderland (who've lost their league status). Chelsea/City/Arsenal will obviously get first shot at anyone moving, but Casey's comments make me think that we are aiming high.

It might be that we don't sign any current England NT players but we're obviously creating a stir there as well. The fact it's even a topic for debate a year before the Women's World Cup is interesting.
https://www.ourgamemag.com/2018/06/...r-manchester-united-and-world-cup-qualifiers/

With rumors swirling ahead of Friday’s World Cup qualifier against Russia that some players could be persuaded to drop down for a season in order for some long-term gain, Neville admitted players who did so would still be considered for selection.

“Is it ideal? No,” he said. “But what I’ve judged every player on is when I go and watch any team I watch them as an individual. If I go and watch someone in the Championship, I want to see their attitude and intensity.

“If I see their intensity level drops down they’ll not go to the World Cup. I’ve had situations this year where players maybe think because they’re not playing for a top FA WSL 1 team it’ll effect their chances of selection but I’ve told them, no, it won’t. As long as I see the same levels of concentration and quality, that’s what I’ll be judging them on.

“Is it ideal if they drop down? No, because I want them to play at the highest level but I’ll be judging them individually on their merits.”

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I suspect we will go after some of our old "Regional Talent Club" (youth team) players, just as a matter of pride after losing them to our rivals. I think we'll also try and cash-in on some of the unhappiness we're hearing about at clubs like Liverpool (where lots of players are leaving) and Sunderland (who've lost their league status). Chelsea/City/Arsenal will obviously get first shot at anyone moving, but Casey's comments make me think that we are aiming high.

It might be that we don't sign any current England NT players but we're obviously creating a stir there as well. The fact it's even a topic for debate a year before the Women's World Cup is interesting.
https://www.ourgamemag.com/2018/06/...r-manchester-united-and-world-cup-qualifiers/
Good old Agent Phil.

Norris

I genuinely cannot wait for August for two reasons now. Really excited to see the team Casey Stoney puts together. I admittedly don't know much, but I have no doubt I will over the next few years.