Manchester United Women | Squad recruitment underway

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Pity I have no idea of any of the player and won't be able to judge the quality of the squad. Do we expect a quick promotion campaign?
There are so many names kicking around that all we really know is that Casey Stoney is pleased with how recruitment has gone. When the squad does come out - Friday the 13th - we'll have a better idea. Right now, it looks like a young exciting squad with some excellent players and some great potential. But then, right now, anyone who hasn't announced their club is "ours". :devil:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Fantastic that you guys finally got yourself a female side, was a bit strange that the country's biggest club didn't have one. May not be a big deal to a lot of men, but for a lot of young female footballers who support United it's huge, they can now play for the club they love just as much as the male supporters do.

Must admit that my knowledge on the women's game is pretty poor though, I did watch England in a tournament at some point and was impressed, but beyond that very little. Will United be pumping in a ton of cash to help them get to the very top, or will it be a case of not considering it a worthy use of resources?

RedPamie

Kirk says the club are not demanding promotion in the first season, but added: “The massive expectations are from myself and Casey. We think we’ll have the best squad in the Championship.

“The players won’t be getting trained every day to win the Championship – they’ll be getting trained every day to compete in WSL1 the year after.”
From heraldscotland article in this thread.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...-good-an-opportunity-to-miss-for-willie-kirk/

I think we'll have a good squad. Several are England u19/23 internationals (well according to rumors) and come from WSL 2 rivals. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Will United be pumping in a ton of cash to help them get to the very top, or will it be a case of not considering it a worthy use of resources?
I would like to think United want to be one of major clubs in women's game, the status Chelsea, City and maybe Arsenal, Liverpool have right now. Look at Chelsea the last season double winners. Still a long way to go to get to that level. I'm optimistic we'll get there in 5-7 years.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Fantastic that you guys finally got yourself a female side, was a bit strange that the country's biggest club didn't have one. May not be a big deal to a lot of men, but for a lot of young female footballers who support United it's huge, they can now play for the club they love just as much as the male supporters do.

Must admit that my knowledge on the women's game is pretty poor though, I did watch England in a tournament at some point and was impressed, but beyond that very little. Will United be pumping in a ton of cash to help them get to the very top, or will it be a case of not considering it a worthy use of resources?
I think a lot of us are novices when it comes to the women's game (beyond the international matches and Cup Finals). Most of the United fans in this thread are beginners when it comes to understanding our WSL2/Championship opponents. So are United!

The only real statement of intent so far comes from what we do know. They've appointed Casey Stoney, ex-England player, part-time England coach (working with Phil Neville). They've given her Willie Kirk, who has managed a WSL1 team, as assistant. That seems like a powerful setup.

It's thought that United will pay WSL1 style wages to most of their squad this year. They want to use their own girl's academy as much as they can. They think they can be one of the top English clubs within 5 years. Casey thinks she's going to build something special.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It seems strange that they'll announce the whole squad on Friday, but looking forward to it. There has been very little rumors so far.

Himannv

I'd honestly have preferred it if they brought the signings to the notice of the public as and when they are made rather than a bulk announcement like this. Much like they would do for the men's team. Gives the signings a better chance to bask in the glow so to speak.

RedPamie

It seems strange that they'll announce the whole squad on Friday, but looking forward to it. There has been very little rumors so far.
Following some insiders in women's game. It's very different than men's game in term of rumors, agents stirrings things up.

Some journalists know which players signed for us already but won't tell probably because the club ask them no to.

Some of us in the thread getting rumors from Twitter, Instagram, and usually from other clubs' supporters. Like I came across some accounts by match going Everton and Liverpool fans, they said they heard United already signed several Liverpool based WSL 1 players.

About the bulk announcement

Those players will be announced to the world this coming Friday in an official club announcement. With Stoney and indeed Kirk’s announcements seeing a huge engagement from fans across social media, the new head coach is wary of some players being too overcome by the attention that will come with Friday’s big announcement.

Many players in the squad will have never experienced an announcement like the one on Friday and Stoney is keen to support the players if they need it.

“We’re quite aware of that actually,” she said. “I experienced it with my announcement, it was bigger than anything I’ve ever known in women’s football and the club are aware of that. There’s a player-care team that’s educating them on what will happen, they’re briefed on what’s going to happen and if they choose to turn their phones on or off, that’s up to them.

“They can embellish it, embrace it, turn away from it but the support is there and the ultimate thing is that yes, we’ll launch the team; yes, social media will go mad, but it’s what we do on the pitch that counts. The focus always stays on the grass.”
Great article again by Rich Laverty
https://www.ourgamemag.com/2018/07/...chester-united-get-set-to-unveil-their-squad/

Nick7

I thought us getting a women's team was good news, but I'm genuinely surprised at how excited I am for the squad announcement.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think a lot of us are novices when it comes to the women's game (beyond the international matches and Cup Finals). Most of the United fans in this thread are beginners when it comes to understanding our WSL2/Championship opponents. So are United!

The only real statement of intent so far comes from what we do know. They've appointed Casey Stoney, ex-England player, part-time England coach (working with Phil Neville). They've given her Willie Kirk, who has managed a WSL1 team, as assistant. That seems like a powerful setup.

It's thought that United will pay WSL1 style wages to most of their squad this year. They want to use their own girl's academy as much as they can. They think they can be one of the top English clubs within 5 years. Casey thinks she's going to build something special.
That sounds like a good setup. I'm glad that it seems like proper attention is being given to the women's side, and that seems like a reasonable target with the resources United can muster. Will definitely be keeping a close eye on the side as it's always interesting to see a project like this take shape, especially one like this where it was unarguably the right decision to bring in a women's side. Honestly for the longest time I simply assumed you already had one till I saw the buzz about one potentially being formed, shocked me that a club of your size didn't have a women's side. Fantastic that this has now been rectified!

How will United fans watch their women's side play? I'm guessing it will be through a fan channel only? Can be difficult enough to watch the men's these days!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I thought us getting a women's team was good news, but I'm genuinely surprised at how excited I am for the squad announcement.
I think quite a few of us are. I wanted us to get a women's team, more or less as a matter of principle. I hadn't realised how excited I was actually going to get about the team itself.

I've certainly spent more time speculating who the women are signing than looking at the transfer forum to see what's happening there (I'm more "what will be, will be" about that).

How will United fans watch their women's side play? I'm guessing it will be through a fan channel only? Can be difficult enough to watch the men's these days!
We're told some matches will be on MUTV and the club will have some highlights on its YouTube channel. I suspect if we draw City in one of the Cups a broadcaster will want it, even if we're not quite ready for it.

RedPamie

I think quite a few of us are. I wanted us to get a women's team, more or less as a matter of principle. I hadn't realised how excited I was actually going to get about the team itself.

I've certainly spent more time speculating who the women are signing than looking at the transfer forum to see what's happening there (I'm more "what will be, will be" about that).
Same :lol:

I want to know how I fare in this speculation! I know we only have to wait a few days :devil:, but here goes..

Siobhan Chamberlain GK
Emily Ramsey GK
Alex Greenwood LB
Kirsty Hanson - Forward
Mollie Green - Forward
Aimee Palmer - Midfielder
Leah Galton - Forward
Lizzie Arnot - Midfielder/Forward
Kirsty Smith - RB
Amy Turner - CB
Martha Harris - Defender
Millie Turner - Midfielder
Lucy Roberts - Defender
Ella Toone - Forward
Katie Zelem - Midfielder
Lauren James - Midfielder
Ebony Salmon - Forward
Naomi Hartley - Defender
Chelsea Weston - Defender

And maybe Jessica Sigsworth
:devil:

Reactions: jojojo

Andersons Dietician

The launch video surely has to be epic. A 22 piece Orchestra or something with Sanchez just off to the side playing the piano welcoming them all.
Can’t wait for this launch, I think I am more excited about this than the men’s team currently.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

I want to know how I fare in this speculation! I know we only have to wait a few days :devil:, but here goes..

Siobhan Chamberlain GK
Emily Ramsey GK
Alex Greenwood LB
Kirsty Hanson - Forward
Mollie Green - Forward
Leah Galton - Forward
Kirsty Smith - RB
Amy Turner - CB
Martha Harris - Defender
Lucy Roberts - Defender
Ella Toone - Forward
Katie Zelem - Midfielder
Ebony Salmon - Forward
Naomi Hartley - Defender

Nice idea assembling the rumours and the names in one place. Thanks for the hard work.

If you're anywhere close to what the real squad looks like, that would be a real statement of intent by United. Friday...

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Siobhan Chamberlain GK
Emily Ramsey GK
Alex Greenwood LB
Kirsty Hanson - Forward
Mollie Green - Forward
Leah Galton - Forward
Kirsty Smith - RB
Amy Turner - CB
Martha Harris - Defender
Lucy Roberts - Defender
Ella Toone - Forward
Katie Zelem - Midfielder
Ebony Salmon - Forward
Naomi Hartley - Defender

Decent list. Think Ebony Salmon is still contracted at Villa though and Leah Galton seems to have some personal issues. She took a break from football at the end of March and I'm not sure the 3 month break would be enough. Ashleigh Goddard I think is another possibility.

There was this announcement a couple of days ago:

But there has been nothing linking her to here.

RedPamie

Almost all of Donny Belles first teamers are gone wow.

By the way, my squad prediction lis is short on defenders? Too many forwards there. And about Leah Galton, well, she's in Manchester right now, :)and followed by Willie Kirk.

Fans now talking about Millie Farrow leaving Bristol, Ella Rutherford leaving Millwall and Kate Longhurst leaving Liverpool.

Not sure about Ebony James yeah and Millie Turner.

Damien

Staff
Almost all of Donny Belles first teamers are gone wow.

By the way, my squad prediction lis is short on defenders? Too many forwards there. And about Leah Galton, well, she's in Manchester right now, :)and followed by Willie Kirk.

Fans now talking about Millie Farrow leaving Bristol, Ella Rutherford leaving Millwall and Kate Longhurst leaving Liverpool.

Not sure about Ebony James yeah and Millie Turner.
Is that definite? Last I saw she was back in Harrogate. Yeah, I think your prediction is short of defenders but don't think you'll be too far wrong in some of the names.

Farrow has followed the United Women twitter account, Casey Stoney and Alex Greenwood all in a fairly short amount of time so she might be a decent shout (assuming Greenwood is coming) - another forward though.

RedPamie

Is that definite? Last I saw she was back in Harrogate. Yeah, I think your prediction is short of defenders but don't think you'll be too far wrong in some of the names.
Yes, saw it from her Instagram. She posted Instagram story about staying in the Lowry too.

So I read some rumours from Twitter, but Instagram is where the gold mine is. The players linked to us, started to follow each other these past few weeks. Could be nothing, but ... for example Alex Greenwood (Liverpool) following Kirsty Hanson (Donny Belles), Lizzie Arnot (Hibs), Leah Galton (stayed in US/Bayern 3 months ago), Jessica Sigsworth (also Belles), Millie Turner (Bristol) and vice versa.

And most of players, not only those rumoured, followed the official account and not so official accounts of women's team news. I guess the club has a lot of admirers within the women's game. Understandable though because most are young in 20s/younger and probably witnessed our best era in 2007-2009.

Fun factsl
  1. Like Jojojo predicted, family members of certain players linked to us actually started following our official account. :lol: and I'm also blaming Damien (and others in this thread) for this speculation. :devil:
  2. Saw some United fans already following those players in the list.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'd honestly have preferred it if they brought the signings to the notice of the public as and when they are made rather than a bulk announcement like this. Much like they would do for the men's team. Gives the signings a better chance to bask in the glow so to speak.
I wondered about that. But, assuming that we've got a launch planned for tomorrow rather than just a tweet with a squad list, I think that might be how it needs to be.

Most of the players won't have experienced anything like it before. Casey herself said that it was bigger than anything she'd experienced, and she's been England captain. Some of the players we're expecting to see are getting their first pro contracts.

The last thing they need is the individual attention. There's bound to be some negative reaction on social media etc (some of it sexist, some just jealousy/rivalry). It sounds a lot better if they gothrough that as a team, not as individuals suddenly seeing their Twitter and Instagram feeds go weird.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to moan if United haven't done a good job of it :lol:

Himannv

I wondered about that. But, assuming that we've got a launch planned for tomorrow rather than just a tweet with a squad list, I think that might be how it needs to be.

Most of the players won't have experienced anything like it before. Casey herself said that it was bigger than anything she'd experienced, and she's been England captain. Some of the players we're expecting to see are getting their first pro contracts.

The last thing they need is the individual attention. There's bound to be some negative reaction on social media etc (some of it sexist, some just jealousy/rivalry). It sounds a lot better if they gothrough that as a team, not as individuals suddenly seeing their Twitter and Instagram feeds go weird.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to moan if United haven't done a good job of it :lol:
Yes, you're probably right. Perhaps I'm just really eager to see who they signed. One more day to go I suppose.

I'm another one of those who is a newbie to the women's game, but I'm certainly interested and invested in following a United team. I think Stoney getting the job indicates some serious intent in building a strong team and pushing into the top division. Really keen to see what we do.

Damien

Staff
Yes, saw it from her Instagram. She posted Instagram story about staying in the Lowry too.

So I read some rumours from Twitter, but Instagram is where the gold mine is. The players linked to us, started to follow each other these past few weeks. Could be nothing, but ... for example Alex Greenwood (Liverpool) following Kirsty Hanson (Donny Belles), Lizzie Arnot (Hibs), Leah Galton (stayed in US/Bayern 3 months ago), Jessica Sigsworth (also Belles), Millie Turner (Bristol) and vice versa.

And most of players, not only those rumoured, followed the official account and not so official accounts of women's team news. I guess the club has a lot of admirers within the women's game. Understandable though because most are young in 20s/younger and probably witnessed our best era in 2007-2009.

Fun factsl
  1. Like Jojojo predicted, family members of certain players linked to us actually started following our official account. :lol: and I'm also blaming Damien (and others in this thread) for this speculation. :devil:
  2. Saw some United fans already following those players in the list.
Yeah, Instagram sees to be a goldmine. Just annoy me how to access most stuff you need to sign in with an account and I can never remember my information

Yagami

Good post resistant
Can't say I'm too excited by the upcoming announcement - mainly because I'll have no idea who any of them are. I am however looking forward to seeing them play. I plan to watch them regularly as of now.

muller

Oddly excited for this - despite being pretty new to the women's game. Once names are released it will be good to learn more about the players and see how such a diverse group thrown into the mix comes together.

Trizy

Oddly excited for this - despite being pretty new to the women's game. Once names are released it will be good to learn more about the players and see how such a diverse group thrown into the mix comes together.
This.

Norris

Great... Loving this.. Hope to learn a lot more about our team soon and see how they fare.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Siobhan Chamberlain GK
Emily Ramsey GK
Alex Greenwood LB
Kirsty Hanson - Forward
Mollie Green - Forward
Leah Galton - Forward
Kirsty Smith - RB
Amy Turner - CB
Martha Harris - Defender
Lucy Roberts - Defender
Ella Toone - Forward
Katie Zelem - Midfielder
Ebony Salmon - Forward
Naomi Hartley - Defender

I'm expecting around 90% of this prediction to come true which will be stunning work altogether!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
He's also tweeted (in response to a question) that United are planning to announce the squad this afternoon, "2pm I think. Just waiting for confirmation."

I suspect the trusted press already have the squad list, so they can get things like this ready. United will know the majority of us are pretty clueless on the subject. In fact even where I know the names (sometimes from previous discussions of United youth team players leaving the club) it's only when I've looked up the names from posts like those from @RedPamie that I've found out the basics like how old they are, how well their current/previous club were doing and how many games they were getting there.

Yagami

Good post resistant
All hail @RedPamie ! I think I'm more excited to watch the women play than the men as of right now.

muller

It's nearly time.. watch out wikipedia - i'm about to be all up in you.