Manucho watch

Skholesy

Our "bargain scout" needs to be sacked big time. You know, these players that we spend relatively small amounts on, only to turn out to be serious duds...

Djemba, Obertan, Diouf, Manucho, Dong, Bebe...Ok, maybe i'm a little harsh on Obertan given he's the most successful out of that lot. That's a long list of terrible players there. No doubt, when you sign players with potential there are bound to be some duds, but when Dong has to play in the second division something is seriously wrong, especially since it wasn't like he was injury prone or anything.

Surely, if a player doesn't make it with us you'd expect them to be at least championship, SPL or even league one standard...not the chinese 2nd division :lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Did you really buy Bebe for 8 million? I'll admit I actually felt sorry for him last time I sae him play. May have been against Wolves, can't remember now. He was painfully bad and a level below the other players on the pitch.

Brophs

The One and Only
Whatever was happening, we certainly weren't bunging money at Jorge Mendes for reasons as yet unknown. Oh no.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I still think Bebe can come good. The last time I was hearing about, I heard someone mentioning something about cyborg-legs though..

Chris H

Video Posting God
Manucho scores twice as Angola advance to next year's African Cup of Nations final.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
On a hattrick against Madrid now.

davisjw

See, Fergie knows talent. It's only you impatient Cafe posters who force him to sell so soon..

On a serious note: we buy lots of crap but not sure we ever lose money on them. They are sold for profit with the United tag branded on their arse. Many have extended careers thanks to that. Here's to you McShane.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They don't stay here for free. In fact they get money for being here.

Money has been lost (Djemba-Djemab). It has also been profitable in some cases (Tosic).

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
No one gets it right all the time, it's laughable that some people still talk about Djemba-Djembas and Bebe's as if they were a regular occurrence.

Even here at Porto, where everyone praises our eyes for talent, we buy a lot of dross, some of them pretty expensive, it's just that they never make international headlines, obviously.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't find Djemba-Djemba laughable at all. Don't think he would have been remembered much had he been bought in '97 and/or didn't have that "odd" name.

But this is a United forum. People who frequent it have a certain attention and memory and dedication towards the club and are generally more knowledgeable about football so I'm sure if you name any player bought in the last 15 years, the majority will remember said player.

NoLogo

No one gets it right all the time, it's laughable that some people still talk about Djemba-Djembas and Bebe's as if they were a regular occurrence.

Even here at Porto, where everyone praises our eyes for talent, we buy a lot of dross, some of them pretty expensive, it's just that they never make international headlines, obviously.
And that those who make the headlines are god damn expensive most of the time.

I still wonder what the mystery is and how you manage to get 30+ mio. € for so many of your players.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Nah, it was just a rant at people who complain about transfers that didn't work out (I do think the Bebe case was daft, but other than that...). That said, I don't see much complaining here specifically, so I don't know why I said it. Just tired and ranting randomly.

Will try to hold on for another hour or so, so I can go to sleep and wake up exactly 15 minutes before the game. Love watching football with the morning coffee and cigarette.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
And that those who make the headlines are god damn expensive most of the time.

I still wonder what the mystery is and how you manage to get 30+ mio. € for so many of your players.
We have a sublime scouting network, and easy market access to South America. Also a lot of players see us a rewarding stepping stone so we can attract talent that wouldn't otherwise want to play in the Portuguese league.

I think we've become a bit like a brand when it comes to selling. The coming of the sugar daddies also inflated the market quite a bit and started that trend. Most of our huge sales began with Abramovich, I don't remember any €20m+ before we won the Champions League. €30m for Carvalho, €20m for Paulo Ferreira... I think Carvalho was worth it, Ferreira not so much, he was decent but nothing spectacular. I think Deco went for lower than that to Barcelona and he was world class at the time. Then it just became common occurrence. Russian clubs pay insane money, I don't know if they do money laundering or whatever...

Barring some exceptions I think most of our players leave for well above their real value. Good for us. Falcão was one of these exceptions, he's truly a World Class player and I think was worth every penny of the €40m.

No doubt it will end someday, possibly with the advent of Fair Play. I hope the club can adapt well and timely to the new reality.

But in regards to the "brand" kind of thing... I was just in Liverpool forum watching Jackson's Martinez thread. Most of them had no idea who he was when we (and Liverpool) were first linked with him, but they all wanted him because "if Porto wants him he'll be worth 5 times that in 2 years" and "I only want him because Porto wants him". It was funny to see their despair a few pages later when someone posted the goals he's been scoring for us :lol: