Manuel Akanji

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Dont think he is good enough. Split opinions, as some really rate him and others dont. I dont and he has been part of a leaky defense under different managers for years.

was highly rated at Basel, but he hasn’t really convinced me at Dortmund. Very inconsistent. It is a no for me, not better than what we have.

marktan

Every time I watch Dortmund they leak about 50 goals.

Why do we need him anyway? We have 3 starting CBs and loads of options as backups.

Use the money on a DM and some better attackers. We seem to buy a new CB every other year and it doesn't improve anything, because a CB won't do you much good if the 6 players on front of him aren't good enough.

Telsim

We need DM, CM, CF, RW, RB... and we are looking into buying yet another CB? Why though? Even if two of Maguire, Lindelof, Varane get injured we can still rely on Mengi for a while.

Our budget for the summer will be stretched thin as it is. Yet another head-scratcher by this club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Isn’t he… not that good?

ti vu

We need DM, CM, CF, RW, RB... and we are looking into buying yet another CB? Why though? Even if two of Maguire, Lindelof, Varane get injured we can still rely on Mengi for a while.

Yet another head-scratcher by this club.
Not even sure whether he's ready for PL lower mid table team. Even currently a starter for Birmingham, it's not like he's the best CB in Championship. To rely on a kid that lack so much experience is a big statement to make.

As is Maguire is not certain starter if we commit to a high line , high pressing front foot football. He doesn't have pace. Lindelof is tactical better, but he's also slow and weak physically.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
That's crazy wages? Why do we keep doing this!

@Mickson approved edit : That's crazy wages? We'd be crazy to do this!

Last edited:

Telsim

Not even sure whether he's ready for PL lower mid table team. Even currently a starter for Birmingham, it's not like he's the best CB in Championship. To rely on a kid that lack so much experience is a big statement to make.

As is Maguire is not certain starter if we commit to a high line , high pressing front foot football. He doesn't have pace. Lindelof is tactical better, but he's also slow and weak physically.
You are right, Mengi isn't ready by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he can be used to patch things together in case of an injury crisis. Who knows, maybe he will come into his own by trial of fire? And what's the chance both CBs are out for a long time anyway?

We definitely could do with better in that position, but currently there are other positions in critical condition, and spending 30M on a CB seems... unwise. Also, I haven't watched Dortmund in sometime, but people hardly seem impressed with the guy?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He looks very comfortable with both his left and right foot
He's also more comfortable than Lindelof and Maguire at defending a large space due to his physical and athletic capabilities, which would potentially help us apply high pressure in a compact high block.

He did go through a period where he suffered a loss of form but according to what I've read, he's comeback well. And with the money wasted on the previous CBs, it's important we have two potential starting CBs who can defend in a high-line, and Akanji for £20m would help us create the conditions to approach games with more risk.

-Supreme-

He's also more comfortable than Lindelof and Maguire at defending a large space due to his physical and athletic capabilities, which would potentially help us apply high pressure in a compact high block.

He did go through a period where he suffered a loss of form but according to what I've read, he's comeback well. And with the money wasted on the previous CBs, it's important we have two potential starting CBs who can defend in a high-line, and Akanji for £20m would help us create the conditions to approach games with more risk.
Is he also a physically imposing defender in the mould of Van Dijk and Rudiger?

If so this potential signing will certainly get my vote.

ti vu

You are right, Mengi isn't ready by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he can be used to patch things together in case of an injury crisis. Who knows, maybe he will come into his own by trial of fire? And what's the chance both CBs are out for a long time anyway?

We definitely could do with better in that position, but currently there are other positions in critical condition, and spending 30M on a CB seems... unwise. Also, I haven't watched Dortmund in sometime, but people hardly seem impressed with the guy?
Knowing our luck with defensive injury crisis, the chance of missing 2 CBs at the same time is very high.

It's becoming a critical position too. Only behind a defensive midfielder. With CF, If we can't purchase anyone,then just use Martial as rotation option after his loan end. We're down to barebone with our CBs at this rate. Jones and Bailly are not reliable fitness wise, and at least one of them likely to leave. Maguire and Lindelof in a long run would not be ideal for defensive high line.

This guy may not be ready made world class, but he's individually quite decent all round, and fit the profile for defensive high line. Arguably still have room for improvement until CB peak age.

The quoted fee is speculation at this point. After this season, he's only 1 year left on his contract and currently refusing to extend. Dortmund also just signed Sule for next season, so the fee is likely negotiable. Dortmund doesn't want thing to drag over to January 2023 where he can sign pre contract with foreign clubs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is he also a physically imposing defender in the mould of Van Dijk and Rudiger?

If so this potential signing will certainly get my vote.
He's not Van Dijk but he's physically and athletically very capable. For £20m he'd be a good signing imo, and can pass the ball well with either foot.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Every time I watch Dortmund they leak about 50 goals.

Why do we need him anyway? We have 3 starting CBs and loads of options as backups.

Use the money on a DM and some better attackers. We seem to buy a new CB every other year and it doesn't improve anything, because a CB won't do you much good if the 6 players on front of him aren't good enough.
Like others have said, you'd expect we're offloading Bailly and Jones in summer.

-Supreme-

He's not Van Dijk but he's physically and athletically very capable. For £20m he'd be a good signing imo, and can pass the ball well with either foot.
For 20m he sounds like a good investment particularly when we have other areas to address, hopefully we will bring in 4 additional players for DM, CM, ST and RW.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For 20m he sounds like a good investment particularly when we have other areas to address, hopefully we will bring in 4 additional players for DM, CM, ST and RW.
I think when evaluating players in the game today, it's important we look how they perform in defensive transitions. It's something I never used to do before and would only focus on what the player does in possession.

I also agree with the positions you've mentioned that need filling/upgrading.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

Has he been linked with Ajax or PSG in the past year or so? Maybe it’ll be give a hint as to who might be the next manager :o

-Supreme-

I think when evaluating players in the game today, it's important we look how they perform in defensive transitions. It's something I never used to do before and would only focus on what the player does in possession.

I also agree with the positions you've mentioned that need to filling/upgrading.
Certainly - this current Utd team is so easily bypassed, until this area is addressed we will always find it difficult to impose our style of play and to me this will be our core foundation of success and hopefully it starts from this summer when Ralf will have had enough time to fully assess the squad and his potential consultancy role will have a strong input in this regard.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Certainly - this current Utd team is so easily bypassed, until this area is addressed we will always find it difficult to impose our style of play and to me this will be our core foundation of success and hopefully it starts from this summer when Ralf will have had enough time to fully assess the squad and his potential consultancy role will have a strong input in this regard.
Completely agree mate.

It's like Hassenhuttl said a few weeks ago, 'we know their problem is running back in defensive transition' (not verbatim). The EPL is a very tough league right now and playing at high intensity and covering ground quickly in defensive transition is a big advantage. Having immobile players in the deeper areas of the pitch will invite the opposition to target those players.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
People lose their shit over every link - relax, not everything you read is true.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He ain't that bad from the below stats, which compare him to our others CBs. You'll be pleased to know he's better than Lindelof and Bailly in that regard.

Successful tackles per 90 minutes (success rate)
Raphael Varane – 1.8 (75%)
Manuel Akanji – 1.5 (93.8%)
Harry Maguire – 1 (66.7%)
Victor Lindelof – 0.9 (90%)

Successful aerial duels per 90 minutes (success rate)
Harry Maguire – 2.8 (68.3%)
Raphael Varane – 2.7 (69.2%)
Manuel Akanji – 2.3 (62.2%)
Victor Lindelof – 2.1 (58.3%)

Interceptions per 90 minutes
Manuel Akanji – 1.8
Victor Lindelof – 0.9
Raphael Varane – 0.7
Harry Maguire – 0.6

Fouls per 90 minutes
Manuel Akanji – 0.7
Harry Maguire – 0.7
Victor Lindelof – 0.7
Raphael Varane – 0.2

Clearances per 90 minutes
Victor Lindelof – 4.3
Raphael Varane – 3.9
Harry Maguire – 3.7
Manuel Akanji – 2

Passes per 90 minutes (accuracy)
Manuel Akanji – 75.9 (90.6%)
Harry Maguire – 58.9 (85.6%)
Raphael Varane – 58.3 (87.1%)
Victor Lindelof – 54.4 (86.6%)

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...d-transfer-stats-centre-backs-maguire-varane/

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Using our name for a new contract no doubt. Centre back is surely bottom of our priorities for the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.